• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

AniHawk

No Fear, Only Math
Oct 25, 2017
should arrive monday.

one of only two projects i've kickstarted. hopefully this goes a lot better than mighty no. 9.

Widdowmaker

Oct 31, 2017
Great Britain
I just don't want this to be something that never gets wrapped up because Yu has too much ambition.

My biggest fear is that Shenmue III, much like the first two, will tank badly and the series will once again be put on ice. I can't wait another 18 years for a potential Shenmue IV.

I respect Yu Suzuki's ambition for the series, and his drive to deliver his original vision, but part of me also wishes Shenmue III would have ended the saga and gave fans closure.

cyldman

Oct 25, 2017
Portugal
Great OT.
Thank you.
This will be played from the start to the finish 100%.
18 Years later, I'm here.

Embrace this moment shenmue fans, we are here, we are ready.

I don't except a great score for this game.
I don't except anything at all but I will go full in regardless.
It's probably hard for new players to join and accept this game without critics anyway, the older ones didn't age well and I know reviews will be harsh, but true fans will love it. I know it.

liquidtmd

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
I played Shenmue 1 in the first month and bought the Euro DC of 2 version on release, alongside the Xbox version later on.

I appreciate entirely they are niche games that won't click with many

I appreciate Shenmue 3 won't convert the masses and will be more of the same. Probably flawed to boot...

And yet there's something really special about this coming out and I'm genuinely hyped to get immersed in the story and world once more

I just wish this was a grand hurrah and wrapped up the story. We are probably unlikely to get 4 and think leaving it open is a hedging of bets too far. Cest la vie

Deleted member 21709

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Is anyone doing pre-order incentives for this game? Also, any rumblings on performance? I'm assuming the PC version will be the safest bet? Edit: Darn, forgot about the EGS exclusivity..

GobHoblin

Oct 27, 2017
3go0pg.jpg

This game gave me a fascination with Japan.

I've been several times now and love strolling around its neighbourhoods, Shenmue absolutely nailed the vibe.

Last edited:

Snarfington

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Was considering cancelling my Collector's and going with just my KS copy, but another £70 for some plastic tat to show my appreciation for a game I've been waiting most of my life for finally happening is nothing.

Bring it on, I can't wait after replaying 1&2 up until last month. The only thing that came remotely close to filling the void all this time was RDR2 in a weird way; Shenmue is thoroughly unique and I'm hopeful that they've captured that.

Dec 7, 2018
Guys....i've been playing the game for 2 days, and all i can say is the people that want this to fail will wake up to bad news!

And, trust me it's hard to believe it came out of kickstarter, it's a fully fledged fully voiced modern adventure game.

Ryo Hazuki

Oct 25, 2017
Is anyone doing pre-order incentives for this game? Also, any rumblings on performance? I'm assuming the PC version will be the safest bet? Edit: Darn, forgot about the EGS exclusivity..

Best Buy: Limited Edition Steelbook: This illustrated Steelbook case captures the beauty and elegance of the Shenmue series and features portraits of Shenmue III heroes Ryo and Shenhua.

pkx5X1K.jpg

Amazon: Kenpogi Training Wear DLC: Original training gear based on actual Chinese Kung Fu wear.

wLUrwkg.jpg

GameStop (US) / EB Games (Canada): Dragon / Phoenix Mirror Medallion: This exquisitely-crafted physical item is inspired by the iconic Dragon and Phoenix mirrors of the Shenmue series.

ifLVJDK.jpg

All pre-orders of Shenmue III at participating retailers will be the Day 1 Edition that features the following booster pack of in-game items:
  • Snake Power: Three bottles of 'Snake Power' elixir to replenish energy during battle.
  • Playing Tokens: 5,000 playing tokens for the in-game gambling area.
  • "Blazing Kick" Advanced Training Scroll: Unlocks the advanced ability of the "Blazing Kick" to better challenge Ryo's foes.
  • Toy Capsule: Set of 25 tickets to exchange for in-game capsule toys.

Oo9TpOP.jpg

Amazon / Limited Run Games (US): This exclusive Collector's Edition is fully themed, and truly inspired by the series and is the perfect companion for this latest episode!

This Collector's Edition comes with:
  • Martial Arts themed Light Box – A Shojo Door styled Desk lamp
  • The Mirrors – A double sided Phoenix & Dragon medallion
  • Stickers – A set of classic iconography from the game
  • Patches – Iron-on authentic designs from the series
  • A copy of the game
  • A stylised premium quality outer box
6OegKDO.jpg

Magoo

Oct 28, 2017
UK
Another thing I'll say, anybody going for the platinum on this to go with the other two will be putting some serious time into it.

Over the weekend I've put about 10 hours into the game and I've only got 5 trophies out of 37.

Definitely isn't as straight forward as the collections trophies.

ianpm31

Oct 27, 2017
Guys....i've been playing the game for 2 days, and all i can say is the people that want this to fail will wake up to bad news!

And, trust me it's hard to believe it came out of kickstarter, it's a fully fledged fully voiced modern adventure game.
To be able to pull this off on a limited budget is a testament to Yu Suzuki and his team. I can only imagine if he gets a chance to do a S4 and be able to refine the systems already in place. S3 was the hardest obstacle bc everything had to be created from scratch.

Oct 30, 2017

It seems like the mediocre box art and the disappointing slip case/menu screen will be the last stand for Shenmue nonbelievers because everyone who's played Shenmue 3 likes/loves it. I expected nothing less from one of the all-time game design GOATs.

Blent

Oct 26, 2017
East Midlands, England, UK
I will not be getting this game as I haven't played any Shenmue before, but I just wanted to say congratulations to Shenmue fans across Era who have waited so long for this game and to Yu Suzuki and his team for getting this done.

I hope it gives you what you've waited so long for!

nny

Oct 25, 2017
The best FREE game is back! (it put a smile on my face to see that under "genre" :D)

"Explore" and the quote under it ("It's gotten so late...") is a perfect distillation of what Shenmue is <3

On the one hand, I'm extremely excited (and a bit incredulous) there is a Shenmue 3, but on the other hand, I'm a bit afraid of playing the game...I don't know, it's weird for the story of Shenmue to not end on the cave. That's just the way it is, it's always been.

Zor

Oct 30, 2017
Guys, I played Shenmue I & II HD for the very first time last year, and I'm hyped as hell for Shenmue III. But I can't even begin to imagine, despite my excitement, how hyped those of you who've waited almost two decades for this are. What a wonderful time.

Iwao

Oct 25, 2017
cheers! but please don't sleep on my man Iwao - just like the 1&2 HD, he did so much of the heavy lifting while i just put in words & slapped my name on it haha
Good to know. Big thanks to Iwao as well.
Thanks guys. This ate into my weekend, and meant putting off my Death Stranding playthrough, but it was so worth it. Really enjoyed working with these guys to pull off such an OT for this grand sequel.

ParsnipForest

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
Incredible OT! Well done.

My KS copy is going to arrive a couple days late so I'm going in for a late-game preorder because I've got tomorrow off work specifically to play it.

18 years was a long time to wait.

OP
OP
IrishNinja

IrishNinja

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Vice City
The best FREE game is back! (it put a smile on my face to see that under "genre" :D)

"Explore" and the quote under it ("It's gotten so late...") is a perfect distillation of what Shenmue is <3

On the one hand, I'm extremely excited (and a bit incredulous) there is a Shenmue 3, but on the other hand, I'm a bit afraid of playing the game...I don't know, it's weird for the story of Shenmue to not end on the cave. That's just the way it is, it's always been.

cheers man, good to see ye! and yeah, even making this thread & with shipping details on both my KS & LRG sets coming in, its still surreal and I'm gonna be playing for a while before it finally clicks.

i beat an imported EU copy of 2 on dreamcast the summer of '02, and that's now long it's been.

all this time & I'm still not ready...

civet

Jul 6, 2019
France
Great OT, thanks for the effort! So, Shenmue 3 is finally here, unbelievable! I've buried hopes many years ago. I hope that I cam finished Death Stranding tomorrow and I'll be ready in time to dive in for one more swing with Ryo. Largest thanks to Yu Suzuki's stubbornness, his team's efforts and everyone who's contributed to make this happen!

SheepheadCG

Feb 27, 2018
What an awesome post!! Well done OP!

I was super lucky to get a copy yesterday, but didn't think it would come early, so was in the middle of my final play through of Shenmue 1 & 2! I was still in Kowloon, so put in 6 hours solid last night to S2 up so I could roll straight into 3!

I have now played around 7 hours of Shenmue 3 and it really is everything I ever wanted, and more!! All the little things that you would expect that make up a Shenmue game are in! The attention to detail is incredible (I don't even need to put "for a Kickstater game" because it's just that good), and the Shenmue atmosphere that we all love has been nailed!

I have advanced the story a little past the backer demo, but I am going out of my way to speak to everyone, learn all the moves I can, and train a few hours every day (am playing on Challenge - the second to hardest difficulty). I have been blown away so many times already, had a smile on my face the whole time and have even had a few moments where I need to just stop as I am getting emotionally overwhelmed!

I'm just so happy with how everything has turned out, and I cannot wait for everyone to get their hands on the game. If you like Shenmue 1 & 2, you are going to love this!

Guts Of Thor

Oct 25, 2017
I still can't believe it. Been waiting for 16 years. I was planning on focusing on just this game but I don't want to fly through it and then have to wait another 16 years for Shenmue IV lol. I'm going to take my time with it over the next few months.

Virtua Sanus

Nov 24, 2017
Beautiful OT. Thanks to everyone that believed!

Probably not going to be posting in this thread again until after I beat the game, but boy am I certain this game is going to be a treasure.

Ryo Hazuki

Oct 25, 2017
I have advanced the story a little past the backer demo, but I am going out of my way to speak to everyone, learn all the moves I can, and train a few hours every day (am playing on Challenge - the second to hardest difficulty). I have been blown away so many times already, had a smile on my face the whole time and have even had a few moments where I need to just stop as I am getting emotionally overwhelmed!

Absolutely!

One thing I will say to anyone playing the first time - It's 100% recommended that even if you know where to go for a specific task to advance the story - don't rush and take your time, go out of your way and ask the same question to multiple NPC's, especially those you enjoy, there's a lot of hidden, amazing and oftentimes hilarious conversations on certain subjects that are specific to the current story objective. You will miss some very interesting, informative and funny conversations if you just rush through.

I find myself going out of my way to talk to NPC's I enjoy and being rewarded with great stuff at certain story sections. There's always multiple playthroughs too as there's so many you will probably miss.

Spaghetti

Dec 2, 2017
People who have the game - was Yu Suzuki's recommendations that fans play on Challenge rather than Recommended correct?

takoyaki

Oct 25, 2017
Great OT, thanks for making it IrishNinja, Spaghetti, Iwao and Flagship!

It's starting to sink in that SM3 will be out in just a few days, this thread somehow makes it feel real. Hope my KS copy shows up soon.

Acquiescence

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Lake Titicaca
What an awesome post!! Well done OP!

I was super lucky to get a copy yesterday, but didn't think it would come early, so was in the middle of my final play through of Shenmue 1 & 2! I was still in Kowloon, so put in 6 hours solid last night to S2 up so I could roll straight into 3!

I have now played around 7 hours of Shenmue 3 and it really is everything I ever wanted, and more!! All the little things that you would expect that make up a Shenmue game are in! The attention to detail is incredible (I don't even need to put "for a Kickstater game" because it's just that good), and the Shenmue atmosphere that we all love has been nailed!

I'm just so happy with how everything has turned out, and I cannot wait for everyone to get their hands on the game. If you like Shenmue 1 & 2, you are going to love this!

Thanks for your impressions. Very reassuring.

Huey

Oct 27, 2017
Beautiful OT, IrishNinja

Man, I can't believe it's been 4 years since I backed this, let alone 18 years since I picked up my import copy of II from EB Games and a full 20 goddamn years since that magical christmas season when the original came out.

At the end of it all, I'm just so happy that Suzuki is getting to make a game he wants to make. Here's to many more.

Mugen

Oct 28, 2017
Stockholm, Sweden
Very nice OT! Still 17th here in Sweden so will have to see tomorrow night if it unlocks and then maybe take Tuesday off. On parental leave Wed-Fri already, should be able to squeeze in an hour during the day and another at night if my son sleeps as normal.

Finished the I+II remaster a couple of days ago to refresh the memories from half a life back. Also played through the trial version. Tried to give Outer Wilds an extra push tonight but will probably have to put it aside for later.

Would have been nice to have recieved some physical goods from the KS though. Always less fun when those are received way past game launch. Still haven't got Bloodstained stuff. Hope Shenmue III are delivered faster.

SheepheadCG

Feb 27, 2018
Haha, I meant like... was he right to? Does it still feel balanced, I guess is what I'm trying to say.
Ohhhh! I see! Mybad! Yeh, I feel like he was correct! I've had to train a lot more than I did in the backer demo, that's for sure (the fights feel tougher). Everything takes a little longer which is exactly what I wanted. I seem to remember reading that it affects the economy as well, but I haven't gone back at the demo to look.

Spaghetti

Dec 2, 2017
Ohhhh! I see! Mybad! Yeh, I feel like he was correct! I've had to train a lot more than I did in the backer demo, that's for sure (the fights feel tougher). Everything takes a little longer which is exactly what I wanted. I seem to remember reading that it affects the economy as well, but I haven't gone back at the demo to look.
Ah, good good.

Yeah, it's meant at affect rewards from gambling, money from part time jobs, how much stuff sells for or costs, etc.

I believe it might also alter your gambling odds too...

cyldman

Oct 25, 2017
Portugal
By affecting the economy do you mean we get less money for the jobs or more?
I might ideally if the job is "harder" on "challenge" there should be more money?
Or it's exactly the opposite?

Oct 25, 2017
It's so close that I've hit that point when I really, REALLY anticipate a game where I can't bring myself to play anything else. Just watching the progress on the pre-load ticking up.