• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Sumio Mondo

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
I was enjoying myself last night, focusing on sparring and had just maxed out the one-inch punch and my PS4 Pro randomly shut off and had to be unplugged and plugged back in. No auto save, either. :( I hope my PS4 isn't messed up. We're at the point where buying another PS4 with the PS5 around the corner seems really wasteful. Don't wanna go a year without playing this game.
Hold down the power button, it should go into safe mode/repair mode, you can usually cancel out of that. I had a power cut the other night which I thought messed up my PS4 but managed to get it back on again after a restore.

metsallica

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
If you are talking about the issue (on PC) where your backer code only unlocks the rewards for your tier, instead of for your tier and all the tier rewards below that, then a load of us on the Shenmue Dojo sent in details of the issue near release and they replied asking for more information (version number, backer code, tier etc). Early last week we received a reply saying that they are working on a fix. Hopefully we will hear something from them soon.
I get an error message in the game when I try to redeem my code that acts as if I haven't redeemed my Epic keys. I have. Hopefully we're talking about the same thing!

SheepheadCG

Feb 27, 2018
I get an error message in the game when I try to redeem my code that acts as if I haven't redeemed my Epic keys. I have. Hopefully we're talking about the same thing!
Have you redeemed your DLC code on the Epic Game Store? You have to do that, then enter the backer code in game. You can check if it's been correctly tied to your Epic Account by logging into the Epic Game Store site, and then checking your recent transactions. There's a dropdown for code redemption. It should say something along the lines of "Reward Pack 05" depending on what tier you backed at.

metsallica

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Have you redeemed your DLC code on the Epic Game Store? You have to do that, then enter the backer code in game. You can check if it's been correctly tied to your Epic Account by logging into the Epic Game Store site, and then checking your recent transactions. There's a dropdown for code redemption. It should say something along the lines of "Reward Pack 05" depending on what tier you backed at.
Yes. I have. Says "Reward Pack Bundle 4" in my EGS transactions. The game, however, displays this when I enter my code:
PsORWJl.png

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Made some progress on the story. My man
Ren
just showed up. Some quality dialogue and side story ensues. Ah, its so good. That said, I do wonder how accurate some of this translation is, since from some of the phrases/words I can identify, some sentences aren't translated terrifically. I really should just fully learn Japanese at this point so I'll stop complaining...

Anyway, made it to exploring more of Chobu, and damn does this place have some wonderful architecture in places. The huge temple looks stunning - seriously the building interiors in this game are some of the best/cleanest I've seen in a game yet. So many wonderful little details and great texture work.

Weirdly, the QTE's I've done so far I've all done on my second try. I'm surprised my reflexes are that quick, as the timing window is definitely shorter but I can still nail them! Oh, and the QTEs themselves look fantastic, I've missed Shenmue quality QTE combat/chases... Yakuza nails the mid combat QTEs but why they never made chases in those games pure QTE like Shenmue I'll never quite know, they'd look 100 times better and be more fun.

Luckett_X

Oct 25, 2017
Leeds, UK
I'm still early on I guess because I'm still in the first village, and while I'm impressed mechanically it just about all holds together, the pacing in this game is exactly what I feared from a man 18 years out of his prime. It's atrocious.

Kickstarter limitations aside, it is currently by far the worst Shenmue game. The story is completely absent for hours of monotony, and suddenly arrives in short bursts only to disappear again. Padding the game out to make it "the biggest Shenmue ever" or whatever makes all character interactions nonsensical. People have been kidnapped and stay kidnapped for weeks at a time while everyone is trapped in some sociopathic timeloop of fetch quests. Everyone in this village is an unbelievably cold asshole with no ability to act on anything themselves. Having you lose constantly to the only story boss characters in the game so many times as a mandatory part of the story, all while everyone tells me my Kung Fu is shit would only make sense if Ryo himself was in a coma for 18 years. Its a hard reset back to as if the first two games didn't happen, made worse by an incredibly basic and barely functional combat system. Even herb picking now feels broken because fuck all is respawning, and the Lucky Hit boards I need to beat to get the scrolls I'm missing are like the game started on Extreme difficulty with no curve.

I hope the game picks up considerably by the time I get to the next actual area, because right now this has been very disappointing. Much like its become apparent Kojima needs an editor to overrule his worst instincts, so too does Suzuki. Oh and as a Kickstarter backer, its hard to shake the taste of missing out on far better special editions while Ys and co just decided to not have the Capsule Toy rewards or anything else ready to ship with their already delayed project. I had thought I'd backed at a tier that gets the cool ingame black jacket to change into, but I now find out that was some insane $260 tier. I genuinely think if they try to kickstart Shenmue 4, they will fail. Because even I'm not feeling like its worth it at this stage.

Last edited:

Deleted member 13155

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah its easily the worst Shenmue game in terms of pacing, story, NPC's, combat, and overall progression. You can skip it and hardly miss a thing, actually.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Eh, pacing in Shenmue 1 wasn't exactly amazing either. That was a wild goose chase for most of the game, but it definitely has far better NPCs. I love the Bailu NPCs, but Chobu's... well like Hong Kong there aren't that many with personality because they are just shop fronts. Combat... I can't decide - I really like how it feels after putting a ton of hours into it, and in terms of actual fights + training I kinda prefer it to almost all of Shenmue 1 (bar the 70 man fight, Chai and Ghuizang). I just far prefer having arena fights to train and fight.
Plus all that Shenhua stuff in the first half of the game, worth playing the game for that alone.

ket

Jul 27, 2018
shenmue 1 was slow but at least there were semi-frequent plot developments. in shenmue 3 barely anything happens.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Eh, maybe its just me or maybe its the purposeful slow rollout of new areas in 3, but it feels more of a journey on a single plot point (basically following the treasure hunt/father plot) than any big revelations. And I'm just loving the journey, its certainly different to the other two games, but I can't agree its pointless or skippable. Its still got that awesome atmosphere and unique feel that I wanted in my game. Guess I wanted something very different from the game than other people. Then again I have a feeling I know how the game ends... I'll see if I'm right though.

Jul 10, 2018
I'm making very little progress since I decided to go for the platinum so I'm picking herbs and fishing mixed in with some story progression.

But from what I've seen, I'm not surprised that the popular opinion is that this is the worst Shenmue game. Budget and Kickstarter limitation aside, there are some baffling design decisions, such as the stamina/hp system, combat system, (moves come out AFTER you input a combo string?) Not being able to skip dialogue and many other small design oversights.

Story from what I've seen so far is also quite weak compared to 1&2. Good thing that being in the world of Shenmue is still an unparalleled experience.

Last edited:

ianpm31

Oct 27, 2017
I'm making very little progress since I decided to go for the platinum so I'm picking herbs and fishing mixed in with some story profession.

But from what I've seen, I'm not surprised that the popular opinion is that this is the worst Shenmue game. Budget and Kickstarter limitation aside, there are some baffling design decisions, such as the stamina/hp system, combat system, (moves come out AFTER you input a combo string?) Not being able to skip dialogue and many other small design oversights.

Story from what I've seen so far is also quite weak compared to 1&2. Good thing that being in the world of Shenmue is still an unparalleled experience.

That's what still holds up very well. YS Net can learn a lot from this game as everything had to be created from scratch and if given the green light they can take the established engine and refine. I think we all can agree off the bat that a hypothetical S4 will be better than S3.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
That's what still holds up very well. YS Net can learn a lot from this game as everything had to be created from scratch and if given the green light they can take the established engine and refine. I think we all can agree off the bat that a hypothetical S4 will be better than S3.
Agreed. Any sequel that could come from this would be far more refined and fix the main issues from 3.

On the story point, I do have to wonder what the original plan for 3 would have been (assuming it would have been released on the DC). As in - it'd follow the same basic plot I'd imagine? Seeing as that's the one thing Yu had set in stone years ago.

Oct 25, 2017
I guess I'm halfway through. I just got to the second area.

More than anything at this point I feel like I'm playing it because it's Shenmue III, rather than because I'm enjoying it. I recognize this isn't -- even for Shenmue -- a particularly good game, and the story and storytelling are really bad. The quest where you had to make money to get the liquor was awful and off-putting as well (thank God that's over).

I hope this second area is better. Maybe it's that I'm just an old fart these days with a lot less time than I used to have, but I find myself turning away at sidequests because I keep thinking there's a nugget of story if I just press forward. I know I'm not playing the game the way it was intended, but I don't feel like the way it's intended would be that much better; it'd just take longer.

I'm happy this game exists, but it's a raw fucking deal for Shenmue fans that this doesn't finish the story. That seems to be the source of all of the game's problems, in a way.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
I'm happy this game exists, but it's a raw fucking deal for Shenmue fans that this doesn't finish the story. That seems to be the source of all of the game's problems, in a way.
Disagree there. The game would have been a mess if they tried to wrap the story up in one game. I'd have hated that myself, it'd have been condensed so much, I can't even imagine how that would happen when taking into account how many villains have yet to be revealed, areas not visited, and how Ryo is still training. Unless there's some weird time skip where Ryo's super human in terms of Kung Fu master... I'm just glad Yu was up front on how it wouldn't wrap the story up.

Oct 30, 2017
I'm still early on I guess because I'm still in the first village, and while I'm impressed mechanically it just about all holds together, the pacing in this game is exactly what I feared from a man 18 years out of his prime. It's atrocious.

Kickstarter limitations aside, it is currently by far the worst Shenmue game. The story is completely absent for hours of monotony, and suddenly arrives in short bursts only to disappear again. Padding the game out to make it "the biggest Shenmue ever" or whatever makes all character interactions nonsensical. People have been kidnapped and stay kidnapped for weeks at a time while everyone is trapped in some sociopathic timeloop of fetch quests. Everyone in this village is an unbelievably cold asshole with no ability to act on anything themselves. Having you lose constantly to the only story boss characters in the game so many times as a mandatory part of the story, all while everyone tells me my Kung Fu is shit would only make sense if Ryo himself was in a coma for 18 years. Its a hard reset back to as if the first two games didn't happen, made worse by an incredibly basic and barely functional combat system. Even herb picking now feels broken because fuck all is respawning, and the Lucky Hit boards I need to beat to get the scrolls I'm missing are like the game started on Extreme difficulty with no curve.

I hope the game picks up considerably by the time I get to the next actual area, because right now this has been very disappointing. Much like its become apparent Kojima needs an editor to overrule his worst instincts, so too does Suzuki. Oh and as a Kickstarter backer, its hard to shake the taste of missing out on far better special editions while Ys and co just decided to not have the Capsule Toy rewards or anything else ready to ship with their already delayed project. I had thought I'd backed at a tier that gets the cool ingame black jacket to change into, but I now find out that was some insane $260 tier. I genuinely think if they try to kickstart Shenmue 4, they will fail. Because even I'm not feeling like its worth it at this stage.
I definitely agree he needs an editor or a co-director. Nagoshi and some other Sega big-wig said as much about their time on Shenmue. I obviously like what he does, but it's tough to go full scale Suzuki when you're working with a small budget.

I was a supervisor on the team at first. As the project progressed, as you know, it had become bigger and bigger, and I couldn't put up with it any more. It was one of the turning points in my career. I talked to Yu Suzuki, as well as talking to my boss in the development division at that time, and said I would like to have my own division. And they made it happen for me. But we really could not see the end of Shenmue, and I was called by our CEO at the time. He said to me, 'Please get this game finished' [laughs]. So I was a producer and director for the final months of the project. I'd reviewed the whole project, looking at what kind of plan they had and the remaining workload. It took me more than a month to understand what was going on.

The CEO asked me how much time would be needed, and I told him six months. Myself, and the programmer and designer I most trusted, called the whole team and told them we had to finish the game in six months. We did it, but it was a tough and bitter project for me [laughs]. Suzuki-san also knew he had to finish the game soon, whatever the final result. He's the kind of person that, if he wants to do more, cannot stop himself, so someone must be there to do it for him. Our CEO knew that I was the only person he would listen to. Hard as it was to be asked to do it, I knew why it had to be me [laughs]. There's only one reason for why the project turned into such a panic. Suzuki had been creating arcade games for so long, and didn't write planning documents. But for console games, you have to have a blueprint, and it was such a big project.

He had a policy that we should not decide how a game should be on paper before we started making it. But we have to have guidelines, otherwise there's a risk that we overrun and fail as a company. Even if it was someone else's game, I learned the importance of that balance once again. I still think it was an epoch-making game at the time. If there had been a line producer or someone who was good at managing things, I believe the outcome would have been different

Augemitbutter

Oct 25, 2017
finished the game.

I think it was overall pretty good with one glaring flaw that should be fixable if they're truly honest. I think the game looks way better than it should. I'm impressed at how they managed to do a fully detailed 3D game on a budget. And if you look at the scope of this new world then....nope. I don't know how this was possible. I appreciate all detailed fan service they put into the game, like phone calls and other stuff. I think some of the minigames/jobs lack polish. I like fishing, but only in small ponds. Fishing in huge ass water takes too long and wears your stick down. It's not worth it, especially of you look at time/money. The Forklift job is a heavy downgrade from the previous game. One look at the crates will give you nightmares. You want to stack clean crates because it's satisfying to do it quick and efficient. What you get in this game is some shitty figures and arcade cabs you can't stack mixed in just because. It's a small area but we can work with that. The forklift also pushes buttons on its own when you enter a warehouse. okay.

i think the one killer flaw in this game is the unskippable dialogue of shopkeepers and similar npcs. To me it's downright malicious. I really hope it's just a flaw they're planning to fix. You know shopkeepers have nothing interesting to say, in any game, but in this they actively push their endless dispensable agenda forcibly down your throat, daily. And there is nothing you can do about it because you're not allowed to skip speech of ancient slow talking shopkeeper Nr. 4698. This just made me ignore all npc that didn't look important, which is a shame in this kind of game. You think you're good until you push the wrong button at the shop and they start rambling about the local wood industry for 2 minutes. And since this game is mostly about getting info out of people and asking about direction this smells like a cheap way to artificially lengthen the game by torturing the people that care the most. That's why i call this downright malicious and if people don't speak up they will leave it in and make the possible follow-up even worse. The Kung Fu shop part is the pinnacle of this cutthroat design.

The first area ran totally fine on PS4. The 2nd has too much stutter. I'm a little tired so i'm not going to write anything about the RPG exp. battles or this Asian gambling fetish everywhere. The game should go back to more skill based tasks next time though and less about level exp. and gambling/luck.

I actually liked the last stretch of the game and how they tried to create a worthy showdown. The game is fun to play and i don't regret backing it, just please fix the text otherwise it'll be a very hard replay in the future. The people don't need more hurdles. I dread the upcoming dlc. Hopefully it's not some consumable pay to win stuff and similar atrocities. Real gambling.

one disappointing scene for me was
when they reintroduced Ren. He was just dropped at some sausage stand like a.....sausage? That's not how you make a reunion of a favorite character. Why.

shaneo632

Weekend Planner
Oct 29, 2017
Wrexham, Wales
Just played the first hour. Really fun nostalgic stuff, but I wish they'd let you skip some of the repetitive animations like knocking on doors, and also skip a line of dialogue as soon as I've read it. Tedious as shit.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Well I don't think it'll win GOTY, or should win GOTY, but it should win soundtrack of the year for sure. Just so damn pleasant and badass in equal measures. Definitely be a soundtrack I'll listen to over and over for years to come.

Anyway, did some more actual story today and am heading off to more interesting locations (I kinda like the slow opening of new places, each new area is such a nice place to explore!) Also called Joy in the evening and lol at how completely oblivious Ryo is to her feelings, telling her you'll teach her a technique when the choice arose lead to even better dialogue... poor Joy :(

MouldyK

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Nov 1, 2017

DLC Code Reissue

As some of you are currently experiencing, in-game rewards may not be functioning properly. We sincerely apologize for the trouble this has caused. With everyone's help, we were able to determine that some Epic Games Store DLC codes were either not working or did not unlock in-game rewards from tiers included in the pledged-for tier. This issue will soon be resolved and non-functioning codes will be replaced with new codes.

Epic Games Store DLC codes will be reissued for Shenmue III - DLC ID02 through ID14.

The reissued DLC codes will be available in the Downloads and Download Codes section of your survey. Fangamer will send out emails to affected backers when the codes are ready.

*Backer Passwords are unaffected and will remain the same.

*This code reissue does not apply to PS4 DLC codes.

*Shenmue III-DLC ID01 codes functioning properly, so will not be reissued.

Acquiescence

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Lake Titicaca
Someone please help me out. I've been in Niaowu for days now, and while I've got a shitload of tokens, I still haven't found a place where I can offload them and pick up some items (and in turn get myself some monies!). Where is the nearest place to the hotel that I can do this? I've basically got no money now (spent most of it on capsule toys that I then went on to spend on move scrolls).

AwesomeSauce

Oct 25, 2017
Someone please help me out. I've been in Niaowu for days now, and while I've got a shitload of tokens, I still haven't found a place where I can offload them and pick up some items (and in turn get myself some monies!). Where is the nearest place to the hotel that I can do this? I've basically got no money now (spent most of it on capsule toys that I then went on to spend on move scrolls).

There should be a prize exchange above the Arcade next to the hotel.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks! I totally missed that for some reason.
As mentioned above, there's one on the second floor of the arcade, one on the second floor of a teahouse in the "New Paradise" district that you'll probably stumble upon for plot reasons (they have better prizes), and if you want to use all the tokens you've been getting from the arcade games? The big building as you reach Blossom Road is where you go to spend those.

Oh, and do make sure to go to the Ferry Terminal at one point when you get time, because after a while the Forklift mini game unlocks there at some point. Its a fun distraction though I prefer the way 1 handled Forklifts.

Speaking of which though - couple of questions for those that finished the game:
1. Are Forlift races in? (I assume no, because there's no part of the map big enough for them)
2. What's the best gambling game to get the most credits quickest/easiest? I'd like some of those expensive gems...

DOTDASHDOT

Helios Abandoned. Atropos Conquered.
Oct 26, 2017
As mentioned above, there's one on the second floor of the arcade, one on the second floor of a teahouse in the "New Paradise" district that you'll probably stumble upon for plot reasons (they have better prizes), and if you want to use all the tokens you've been getting from the arcade games? The big building as you reach Blossom Road is where you go to spend those.

Oh, and do make sure to go to the Ferry Terminal at one point when you get time, because after a while the Forklift mini game unlocks there at some point. Its a fun distraction though I prefer the way 1 handled Forklifts.

Speaking of which though - couple of questions for those that finished the game:
1. Are Forlift races in? (I assume no, because there's no part of the map big enough for them)
2. What's the best gambling game to get the most credits quickest/easiest? I'd like some of those expensive gems...

1. No
2. X25 Lucky Hit at Golden Goose, in 30 minutes had over 100K in tokens, make sure you go in with around 15-20K to cover yourself before the first win, 2K max bets for big money.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
1. No
2. X25 Lucky Hit at Golden Goose, in 30 minutes had over 100K in tokens, make sure you go in with around 15-20K to cover yourself before the first win, 2K max bets for big money.
Thanks for the tips :) I'll give that a shot when I get a chance. I'm not hurting for money but could always do with more, as some of these prize scrolls are a pain to collect, would be easier to just buy them!

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
that theme that plays when you start your day in bailu is good for your soul.
Its got some of the most calming music in any game I've played. Eases you into each day so nice! I love several of the themes that coincidentally all seem to play in temples or similar areas. Plus many of the remixes of Shenmue 1/2 themes are excellent as well.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Man, the lighting in the warehouse battle is damn nice, and thanks to all my training and collecting I got some pretty badass combo attacks which are great against multiple opponents. Also, the 2 on 1 fights in Rose Garden are a blast as well. I can definitely see 3 being the least good of the three games in terms of overall story, but I think gameplay wise it might be coming close to my favourite. Doubt it'll beat 2 thanks to Kowloon, but I'd having more fun playing 3 than I am 1 (due to the variety of stuff to do, and more fighting opportunities).

Acewon

Oct 2, 2018
Just beat the game, I enjoyed my time with it but overall i thought the game was kinda average and even really bad at times. It doesnt come close to the previous entries imo but im still happy that i finally got to play it and i hope Yu Suzuki gets some funding for another entry.

BadWolf

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm at the part where I need to get 5K to buy a technique book in Niawoo, don't know how close to the end I am but I'm not sure I can bear any more of this.

It's just so terrible.

The only thing going for it are the Shenmue name and nice visuals/music. Everything else is just bad.

The combat is a clunky mess. The story is barely there. The main quest/progression structure is a complete repetitive joke.

Last edited:

Virtua King

Dec 29, 2017
I finally made it to Niawoo. With that said, even though I had fun in Bailu, I'm starting to agree that Yu Suzuki needs an editor, because the main story bits, which there was little of anyway, could have been cut in half and lost zero impact. Hopefully, in the 2nd area there's less filler like
fighting the same guys 3 times

Oh, and yeah, the combat still sucks. I even grinded to lvl. 27 and upped my arsenal of moves, but it's just not fun at all.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
I'm at the part where I need to get 5K to buy a technique book in Niawoo, don't know how close to the end I am but I'm not sure I can bear any more of this.

It's just so terrible.

The only thing going for it are the Shenmue name and nice visuals/music. Everything else is just bad.

The combat is a clunky mess. The story is barely there. The main quest/progression structure is a complete repetitive joke.
I'm at that spot, I have 11,000 and that's not really focusing on any gambling save scumming... I just did a little job here and there, some forklift driving, wood chopping, selling the odd toy set when I got them, plus selling herbs which net insane amounts of money for next to no effort. Frankly I expected the total costs to be way higher based on what people were saying in here for both this bit and the booze earlier in the game but I always had more than enough money for that stuff + playing around loads with the mini games.

Plot wise... I'm divided. Bailu had some nice stuff near the end and personally speaking, you can sure see the VF RPG holdover for the big plot points in this game - namely
learning the signature moves - it feels like a chapter where Ryo is supposed to power up and add the moves to his aresnal that he'd retain as his style develops into what VF Akira ended up being

I'm loving it myself, but the combat clicked for me so I guess that helps loads as well. But I certainly get why people would be disappointed.

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
...plus selling herbs which net insane amounts of money for next to no effort...

I swear herbs give you too much money. I was digging how in the first few days of Bailu I was doing all kinds of stuff for money, but I became way too wealthy once I saw how much the herbs sold for. When I was asked to grab the alcohol, I was able to immediately purchase it with cash left over.

Augemitbutter

Oct 25, 2017

It's just so terrible.

that old guy is just taking advantage of you. Do you have leftover herbs? If not you could also pick the small pond and start fishing.

Sumio Mondo

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
So I experienced a game breaking bug last night - if you save your game at around 10:55PM-11:00PM (in-game time obviously) then load your save afterwards, the game will black screen on you (game will load in first though). Apparently upon looking this up it happens in both Bailu and Choubu/Niaowu (happened to me in the hotel). So just a warning to anyone reading, never, ever save at this time then quit the game.

Only way to fix it is to delete the game from your library, download all of the DLC content again and leave the game on version 1.00 (do not download the patch) then when your save loads immediately press Sleep before it black screens, then skip the sleep animation as well. Not sure if this also happens on the PC version (PS4 version here).

Just a heads up.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
I swear herbs give you too much money. I was digging how in the first few days of Bailu I was doing all kinds of stuff for money, but I became way too wealthy once I saw how much the herbs sold for. When I was asked to grab the alcohol, I was able to immediately purchase it with cash left over.
Yup. Herbs earn you even more money in Chobu because they sell for more, and there are huge areas around the city if you take a walk off the main path that have tons of herbs to grab.
Almost forgot, fishing nets you lots of cash as well if you use the best rod. Granted it takes you a few hours per game day to make some money, which was why I'd space it out and do it all alongside side stuff as I went. Maybe its the pace I'm playing the game at (I reckon I've got 50 hours in the game so far) but money is one thing I've never had an issue with. I've gotten almost all move scrolls bar some relating to prizes and could stand to purchase a few outright if I wanted to.

It was weirdly Shenmue 2 (on the Dreamcast) I had the least fun earning money when it came round to Ren, because that box moving mini game got old really, really fast! Thankfully the PS4 remaster lets you easily save scum Roll it on Top for huge cash really quick. I think I had around $10000 when I finished my last playthrough!

BadWolf

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm at that spot, I have 11,000 and that's not really focusing on any gambling save scumming... I just did a little job here and there, some forklift driving, wood chopping, selling the odd toy set when I got them, plus selling herbs which net insane amounts of money for next to no effort. Frankly I expected the total costs to be way higher based on what people were saying in here for both this bit and the booze earlier in the game but I always had more than enough money for that stuff + playing around loads with the mini games.

Plot wise... I'm divided. Bailu had some nice stuff near the end and personally speaking, you can sure see the VF RPG holdover for the big plot points in this game - namely
learning the signature moves - it feels like a chapter where Ryo is supposed to power up and add the moves to his aresnal that he'd retain as his style develops into what VF Akira ended up being

I'm loving it myself, but the combat clicked for me so I guess that helps loads as well. But I certainly get why people would be disappointed.

that old guy is just taking advantage of you. Do you have leftover herbs? If not you could also pick the small pond and start fishing.

Thanks for the tips guys, I'll be sure to put them to use if I return to the game.

My issue is with that being a thing at all. What I've been doing in Niawoo feels like a mirror image of what happened in the village, it just feels so pointless.

Get to area>look for thugs>get ass kicked by a boss>look for a move to beat the boss and then grind for it. That's the exact same thing as in the village but with zero story progression.

Good to hear that you guys are liking it though, may just not be for me.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Your not wrong with the story progression, I actually saw this coming after the first area on account of certain characters I'd not seen yet, at this point I assumed that was the game basically. I did love the history stuff they put into the first area (wish we'd got more of that) but the important moves you learn I feel deserve a mention as well due to their importance in Akira/Ryo's final fighting style. But yeah, definitely a pity more couldn't/wasn't done.

SpitztheGreat

May 16, 2019
Ok ok, I'm still on a media blackout so I haven't read this thread as I sllllooowwwlllyyyy make my way through the game, but I really need to talk to someone about this:

Ryo's progress as a martial artist (at least early in the game) has been jarring to me. I felt that Shenmue 1 and 2 did a good job of building Ryo up, he's by no means a master by the end of S2 but he's competent in a fight. You spend a lot of time with him in S2 as he is taught to control his emotions and be more focused on his craft. This culminates in the final battle where he applies the lessons and takes down Dou Niu.

But in Shenmue 3 he's as weak as a puppy so far. I've only gotten to the battle in the Hermit's Nest, so I think (?) I'm still pretty early in the game, but Ryo feels like he's barely a white belt. Some of this I can justify, but the fight with the man with the scar, the first battle with the Thugs, even a couple of the battles at the temple, Ryo is just clearly over matched. Yes yes, mechanic wise they want you to grind your levels through training and buying new moves, but that isn't my issue. My issue is that the in game logic seems to be badly lacking. This is a guy who has fought and won against real martial artists, not just street thugs, so I'm not enjoying the reconning of his abilities.

That said, I'm enjoying myself a lot with this game.

Zeno

Oct 25, 2017
What mode is recommended for the game? Recommended, Challenge, or Nightmare?

Or I guess more accurately, how frustrating are the harder difficulties?

Augemitbutter

Oct 25, 2017

i just played on normal. Switched to easy for a fight or two but didn't feel any difference. I don't know if there is a difference for qte. Maybe someone else knows.

Bowl0l

Oct 27, 2017
What is printed on your PS4 Blu-ray case for KS backers if you chose R1 region?
Mine is printed All and i think fangamers just pull a fast one on me. I selected R1 in my backer survey.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017

Challenge at least. The game is way too easy on Recommended and you'll be overpowered quick. Heck, at the point I'm at in the game I considered upping the difficulty further as the story fights are a bit too easy still (Arena fights though put up a challenge).

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Finished the game. Plot wise I'm... well...
Yup, I agree that this game was padded too much with too little. The last hour is basically proof that they have these super interesting ideas, characters and plot ideas that are just not touched in the main game at all.
Lan Di has 3 badass goons that are relegated to QTEs, Nioa Sun basically does fuck all but she's supposed to be a back stabbing, incredibly dangerous character. Shilling is basically not touched on in the plot at all except for one QTE etc.

These things should have been the focus on the second city. The end hour or so was cool, but its basically more of a "what could have been". Its so strange that despite the plot apparently existing for decades we got something so thin on actual plot. Sure the end fights rocked, the finale sets up perfectly for the next part (that lets face it, probably won't ever happen) but the damage is done - characters were introduced without so much as any kind of motivation. This game basically needs a Yakuza Kiwami esque remake already to give the baddies more screen time and motivation.

The areas you visit though are absolutely beautiful, and the actual content (as in, stuff to do) is plenty and varied, but yeah they really should have cut back on that and instead focused on story first. Wonder what the motivation between that choice was?

Definitely a solid 7/10. Loved playing the game but dammit so much wasted potential.