• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 26, 2017
Question in Bailu Village

1) what should i exchange my tokens for? Currently sitting on 9700 of them.

2) also what do i do with the color tickets i get for playing the arcade games?

shaneo632

Weekend Planner
Oct 29, 2017
Wrexham, Wales
The training is so boring, I just do it with a podcast on. What's a good level to be at to cheese the game's combat? I'm 12 at the moment (lol).

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
I loved the One Inch Punch myself, was my favourite training dummy. Horse stance was ok, the rooster walk thing was fun as well. But I vastly prefer the arena training and fighting, especially at the Rose Garden, that's the kinda content I love in these games!

Oct 25, 2017
I do think they should have let you still level up your stats through normal fights as well, and just left the training dummies/ sparring as a way to supercharge stat boosts. Make them a useful thing to engage with but without making it wholly necessary to grind for advancement.

Augemitbutter

Oct 25, 2017
They're all basic but One Inch is more fun because it requires a tiny bit of skill.
i don't know why there is only one one inch qte in the whole game.

Augemitbutter

Oct 25, 2017
Finished the game. Plot wise I'm... well...
Yup, I agree that this game was padded too much with too little. The last hour is basically proof that they have these super interesting ideas, characters and plot ideas that are just not touched in the main game at all.
Lan Di has 3 badass goons that are relegated to QTEs, Nioa Sun basically does fuck all but she's supposed to be a back stabbing, incredibly dangerous character. Shilling is basically not touched on in the plot at all except for one QTE etc.

These things should have been the focus on the second city. The end hour or so was cool, but its basically more of a "what could have been". Its so strange that despite the plot apparently existing for decades we got something so thin on actual plot. Sure the end fights rocked, the finale sets up perfectly for the next part (that lets face it, probably won't ever happen) but the damage is done - characters were introduced without so much as any kind of motivation. This game basically needs a Yakuza Kiwami esque remake already to give the baddies more screen time and motivation.

The areas you visit though are absolutely beautiful, and the actual content (as in, stuff to do) is plenty and varied, but yeah they really should have cut back on that and instead focused on story first. Wonder what the motivation between that choice was?

Definitely a solid 7/10. Loved playing the game but dammit so much wasted potential.

How they burn Lan Di's goons with 3 button presses is one if the most puzzling decisions. That was one of the best scenes in the game but they would have served the plot better spaced out in both regions as head antagonists. I think Niao Sun was fine because you can meet her multiple times in the game. She's sitting around in some stores too. Shilling is there for no reason. There was no time to give her proper development. I think making two areas was just too much for them and they simply ran out of time. Looks like they're planning to make more story with this story pack dlc? I don't know.

Andvari

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
How they burn Lan Di's goons with 3 button presses is one if the most puzzling decisions. That was one of the best scenes in the game but they would have served the plot better spaced out in both regions as head antagonists. I think Niao Sun was fine because you can meet her multiple times in the game. She's sitting around in some stores too. Shilling is there for no reason. There was no time to give her proper development. I think making two areas was just too much for them and they simply ran out of time. Looks like they're planning to make more story with this story pack dlc? I don't know.

Yeah they simply ran out of budget and time didn't have enough staff and importantly a good editor, Shilling and Master Hsu and the two masters had hardly any story and there was no connection or importance about them built through the game and at the end sequence I felt no connection to them and it was just strange them even being there as Ryos friends.. Like I didn't even know them hardly.

I didn't like Shilling knocking chi you men footsoldiers out with a broom.... Not during such an important part of the game.

I felt no danger or suspense like I did at night walking the harbour in Shenmue 1 or climbing the Yellow Head building in Shenmue 2 I genuinely felt like Ryo was not up against serious enemies in S3 at all.

I also agree that Lan Di's 3 hench men should have been involved in random events/fights around the towns against Ryo and not resorted to simple 1 button QTE defeats and I didn't like the comedy aspect about it either with Ren knocking out the Jeet Kun Do guy who was a moron we was about to confront the main bad guy and we had a shitty showdown like that?.

The whole castle seige was so rushed it was ashame, It's also very dissapointing that Yu Suzuki didn't make the Baisha area and the seige/war thing he originally revealed and wanted to be Shenmue 3's core gameplay... Shenmue 3 with a better budget and some key staff in place it could have been an absolute classic.

I also really liked how much Ryo had grown as a fighter by the end of Shenmue 2, he had beaten 3 Pro fighters and had tons of fights then defeated master baihu and a giant in Dou Niu but he can't beat thugz... It's as if YS forgot how much better than this Ryo really is.

I still enjoyed playing it for what it was but I felt overall it was a pointless game due to the lack of any real story progression as we practically knew everything Mr Yuan said about Zhao Longsun and Zhao Sunming and Iwao being friends and something happened.

Yeah there was some new things sure but it was hardly worth a full game to reveal little bits.

Rant over lol.... Hope it did well enough to get a bigger better more developed and polished Shenmue 4 😲

civet

Jul 6, 2019
France
Beat the game last night. Shenmue 3 has its good moments but overall feels like it suffered from its budget, which led to difficult planning of the game as a whole. Great efforts from Ys Net as a new team, it is a hard task to produce a fully fledge Shenmue game and they've managed to improve the core gameplay on a quantity of points so it was still worth it overall. Let's see where the series goes from now on.

AwesomeSauce

Oct 25, 2017
I really think the combat in this game is a step up to the previous games. I love the combat in the originals too, and miss the throws and the parry mechanic the most.

The biggest weakness IMO about the combat is that it is very poorly explained. Just mashing buttons will get you frustrated. The game's combat system rewards patience, spacing and timing. It punishes you when you're too eager to attack or spamming attacks trying to break an enemy's guard. Back stepping, creating space or side stepping while in the pocket can lead to openings. The game also lets you chain some attacks together but other than seeing the NPC's do it, you wouldn't know it was possible.

When i got some time, I'll upload some gameplay i recorded of me going through the Rose Garden and Martial Hall.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
I really wouldn't expect much from the story DLC looking at the trophies. I'll get it but definitely don't expect it to patch many holes in the plot. And yeah, taking the three of them down in one hit sucks as they had so much better design than the other baddies... oh well no point in complaining over what could have been...

I really think the combat in this game is a step up to the previous games. I love the combat in the originals too, and miss the throws and the parry mechanic the most.

The biggest weakness IMO about the combat is that it is very poorly explained. Just mashing buttons will get you frustrated. The game's combat system rewards patience, spacing and timing. It punishes you when you're too eager to attack or spamming attacks trying to break an enemy's guard. Back stepping, creating space or side stepping while in the pocket can lead to openings. The game also lets you chain some attacks together but other than seeing the NPC's do it, you wouldn't know it was possible.

When i got some time, I'll upload some gameplay i recorded of me going through the Rose Garden and Martial Hall.
I agree with this point - spamming attacks (especially on harder difficulties) will get you destroyed in record time and its really about reading the opponent, dodging and opening them up. Its what I loved about it, and when I got certain attacks that really clicked with me I had a great Ryo! Double Blow was as awesome as ever. The Rose Garden tourney was a blast, the way you end up doing 3 on 1 fights and its perfectly possible to win. Of all the issues I have with 3, combat certainly wasn't one of them.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Indeed. Nice to see Yu get some more love, he's such a damn good game creator that its a shame that most people think of him as that guy that made that game where you look for sailors, a frustratingly oversimplification of Shenmue. And yeah, while I have my issues with 3's story, the fact he managed to make a Shenmue game on a budget amazes me, especially one as big and as beautiful as 3 was. Seriously, the game is so damn clean - seriously I wish Yakuza could have an AA solution this nice, looking at the interiors and architecture of this game is way nicer than say parts of Hiroshima in Yakuza 6, which has quite a few jaggies visible.

Oct 30, 2017
What's worse is the amount of people who've called him a 'scammer' or a 'con man' in the last few years and just how completely ignorant they are of what he did achieve outside of Shenmue. Anyway, best not to dwell in the mud...

I hope he gets a chance to not only make Shenmue IV, but get another crack at a big arcade experience (if that's what he wants to do).

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I think I'm nearing the end of the game. While I've enjoyed all of it, I found the first half, the Bailu segment, to be by far my preference. Maybe the budget catered better to that type of setting. Either way, I just felt way more immersed in the day to day life in and around Bailu, with characters I actually felt like I got to know and a more intimate narrative development. Also I loved coming home and chatting with Shenhua for hours every night.

Although this may just be a personal preference thing as I tend to love rural settings in games. I probably could have a done with an entire game around Bailu.

Oct 30, 2017
It would've been amazing if they'd just dumped the entire budget into that kind of setting, but I can understand why they felt obligated to provide a full city experience as well. I can only imagine the granular detail they could've gotten into.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
The city segment felt like they were building a checklist of what some Shenmue fans loved about previous games and shoved them all in (stuff like the forklift etc). I'd have had no issue if a slightly expanded Bailu existed instead, but I did love all the activities Chobu got (especially the hidden Chobu Chan hunt, that was a blast).

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Yeah, overall I enjoyed Chobu quite a bit too.
I'm also really happy I got to drive a forklift again, though I think it could have awarded you a bit more cash. Or they could have
buried the move under multiple days of forklift work.

Also,
I thought we were going to get some fish out of water stuff with Shenhua leaving her small town and visiting a bustling city for the first time. But that never really seemed to come up.
These are pretty tiny gripes though.

Oct 30, 2017
I just genuinely hope they've spent all their 'fan service' currency and focus on story & gameplay next time. We don't need any limited resources devoted to forklifts. I 100% get why they did it--it was great for the Kickstarter--but it's time to move forward.

Essential in Shenmue IV:

1. Combat tutorial
2. Throws in combat
3. Better animations
4. STORY

Inessential:

1. Lucky Hit
2. Forklifts
3. THAT STUPID CURFEW - Though this isn't going to affect the budget one way or another. I just don't need a damn curfew.

Would happily cut, but would probably cause 25% of the remaining Shenmue fans to riot:

1. English dub

XodiousBlack

Aug 16, 2018
I just genuinely hope they've spent all their 'fan service' currency and focus on story & gameplay next time. We don't need any limited resources devoted to forklifts. I 100% get why they did it--it was great for the Kickstarter--but it's time to move forward.

Essential in Shenmue IV:

1. Combat tutorial
2. Throws in combat
3. Better animations
4. STORY

Inessential:

1. Lucky Hit
2. Forklifts
3. THAT STUPID CURFEW - Though this isn't going to affect the budget one way or another. I just don't need a damn curfew.

Would happily cut, but would probably cause 25% of the remaining Shenmue fans to riot:

1. English dub
I would miss Lucky Hit and Forklifts but the curfew MUST DIE

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
I could do without stuff that have been in previous Shenmue games (the mini games especially) and go with new stuff. I like Yakuza because it brings that stuff back, but Shenmue has more been a journey than activities for me. Oh, and axe the English dub, its a money sink and it just doesn't sound good at all (sorry anyone who likes it, but I'd rather it gets cut for a sequel than no future sequel).

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I could do without stuff that have been in previous Shenmue games (the mini games especially) and go with new stuff. I like Yakuza because it brings that stuff back, but Shenmue has more been a journey than activities for me. Oh, and axe the English dub, its a money sink and it just doesn't sound good at all (sorry anyone who likes it, but I'd rather it gets cut for a sequel than no future sequel).
Curious how many people ran with the English dub. There might be a regional split too, since non importing North Americans only got the dub version of Shenmue 2.

I went with the sub for what I feel is better immersion.

LiS Matt

Jan 19, 2018
I just finished this over the weekend, pretty much 18 years to the day that I finished the 2nd one.

My main take away feeling has been that I'm glad I played it. I don't think I'll be replaying or digging into all the side stuff like I did with the first 2 way back when, but looking at the trophies its clear there's at least some reward for people who want to do that

I wish it was paced a little differently, and that the story moved along more than it did (although I knew regardless the conclusion would still be a ways off) but it definitely feels like a shenmue game, bad dialogue and all

Now I kinda revert to how I felt about a possible 3rd game for all those in between years - I'd like to see it happen, I want to know the conclusion to this tale, but I'm okay if it doesn't happen

J75

Sep 29, 2018
I enjoyed the English dub and i hope they don't cut it out for future entries. Without Corey, it just isn't Shenmue for me.

SpitztheGreat

May 16, 2019
I posted this in the thread about Shenmue's disappointing sales, but since that thread seems to be dead I figured I would share it here. I'm still pretty early in the game (I think) so I don't pretend to know everything, but after maybe 10 hours of playing I think I've seen enough to form an opinion about Shenmue's continued struggles. Seeing how the conversation in this thread has gone, I think my post from the other thread is relevant- and hell, I put some time into it so I'm going to double dip.

I want to preface this all by saying that I'm a backer, and that I'm enjoying S3 a lot right now. But that leads me to the question that we've been asking for 20 years and that I don't think we've ever had a good elevator pitch for:

What is Shenmue?

This, to my mind, is the fundamental problem that is holding Shenmue back.

When my copy came in the mail and I was geeking out over it, my wife asked me "What is Shenmue?" and I failed miserably to give her a cohesive elevator pitch. I fumbled around about the story, about the play mechanics, about its place in history, and she was just perplexed as to why this game was so important to me.

As much as I'm enjoying Shenmue 3, I think there are some legit criticisms to level at Suzuki in terms of his managerial skills. Shenmue 1 and 2 I can kind of write off, way ahead of its time; no playbook on how these kind of games are supposed to go; released onto a failing system; etc. But Shenmue 3 doesn't have those kind of qualifiers. After a 20 year hiatus I don't think Suzuki did a satisfactory job of answering the question: what is shenmue?

It does not feel like Suzuki has leaned anything in the 20 year hiatus that the series took, he's still making some of the same mistakes. Yu is the man with the plan, he has the vision for the story he wants to tell, but putting that vision into motion in a way that is effective seems to be something he is struggling with. No one seems to know how to market the game, how to show the game off, how not to shoot themselves in the foot with their kickstarter decisions, and that's not even touching the game itself. How can we be in 2019 and Suzuki is still holding tight to his original vision of 16 chapters? How do you market a game where one of the core mini-games is throwing a rock into a pail?

Seriously....I'm throwing a rock into a pail to win a digital clock. This passes as enjoyable in Shenmue.

How the fuck do you market this game?

How do you explain this game?

I'm mashing buttons to make sure that my turtle wins the race. This is one of the game's more adrenaline pumping moments so far.

But don't forget, you're on a mission to avenge your father's murder while discovering the mysteries around his life and death.

But before you do that, be sure to go fishing, you're going to need some money so that you can buy new moves.

And buy some capsule toys with the earnings from fishing, you can pawn those off for more money eventually.

But hurry up, because the town is being overrun by thugs. A town that is full of martial artists.

The thugs who work for an antagonist who's motives are still unknown after two whole games.

The game is schizophrenic in what it wants to be, and this is 100% on Suzuki. And while I, and many people here, "get it" and love Shenmue for it, I think it's a very strange creative decision. I keep coming back to the author and editor analogy, Yu is an author of an expansive story, but he needs an editor who can help him focus his creative decisions. How do we blend this slice of life simulator, with a melodramatic soap opera, and the mystical & Kung Fu elements into a game that is open, but not totally open world? It can be done I'm sure, but it doesn't feel like Yu has an editor that helps him do it.

What we're left with is a game and franchise that doesn't know what it is. It isn't gamey-enough to be a blast to play in the traditional sense, is full of odd ball side quests and mini-games that are extremely contextual but not a great selling point, and isn't laser focused on telling a compelling story. In the 20 years he had, Suzuki really needed to focus his efforts better because he couldn't afford to miss on this one. Instead, it feels like he doubled down, made a game for the fans, and hasn't done anything to address his limitations. Somewhere within the framework of Shenmue there is a smash hit of a game, but it feels buried under an unfocused vision.

All of this sounds like I'm taking a giant shit on Suzuki, and I'm really not trying to. I LOVE Shenmue 3 so far, but it is also a very flawed game. I feel like I'm in some sort of no-mans land with the game. The 16-year old me committed himself to this franchise a long time ago, so I'm along for the ride no matter what; but the 34-year old me has definitely been left shaking his head that in 20 years little seems to have been learned. I still can't answer what Shenmue wants to be.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Wackamole and Highway Star rock. I loved Excite QTE3 as well. Only part of the arcade I didn't much care for was Chobu Fighter, too basic for me.

SpitztheGreat

May 16, 2019
Wackamole and Highway Star rock. I loved Excite QTE3 as well. Only part of the arcade I didn't much care for was Chobu Fighter, too basic for me.
Honestly, for me, without any of Yu's classic arcade games the arcade was a total none factor for me. I've played all the games in Bailu village a couple of times and I have no interest in going back.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly, for me, without any of Yu's classic arcade games the arcade was a total no factor for me. I've played all the games in Bailu village a couple of times and I have no interest in going back.
Understandable. I don't think I spent that much time in it after Bailu as so much other stuff opened up I just didn't have the time to focus on that stuff. I'm not too bothered about the usual Yu arcade games not making it in though, what with me just replaying 1&2 before 3, and because Yakuza used them so much, I'm just glad we got something different rather than the same old stuff.

Oct 30, 2017
I don't even really bother with arcade games in Yakuza. I usually try each game once and move on, and I really love some of those games outside the context of Yakuza. They're just not really integrated in a way where I find them necessary to my experience. At least in Shenmue you can use them as a way to kill some time before your next mission.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Yakuza has a completion list. Which takes over my life. And it has Virtua Fighter 5, so what better reason do I need!

Oct 30, 2017
That's true. I can't get caught up in that stuff or I'd seriously play each Yakuza for an entire year... They already take me WAY too long to finish 'cuz I can only do like an hour a night at most.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I usually put 100+ hours into each Yakuza, but its the only game series like that I will do so because its the only one I find fun enough to devote the time to learning all the quirks to the systems.

SpitztheGreat

May 16, 2019
That's true. I can't get caught up in that stuff or I'd seriously play each Yakuza for an entire year... They already take me WAY too long to finish 'cuz I can only do like an hour a night at most.
I have found myself doing the unthinkable and actually using the fast travel feature in S3 a little. I hate doing it, but like you said I only have very limited time to play the game at night. Because of the depleting HP bar (I'm sure that's been talked about, but what a cumbersome play mechanic that no one was asking for) I tend to walk most of the time, so the walk from Shenhua's house to the village sucks up too much time for me to justify- especially at night if I'm just trying to beat the curfew. It hurts my immersion, but I can't justify the time it takes to travel everywhere in relation to how little time I have to play.

If only I could run everywhere without having to eat food constantly out of paranoia that I'm going to stumble into a fight with 50% HP...

Sumio Mondo

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
I enjoyed the English dub and i hope they don't cut it out for future entries. Without Corey, it just isn't Shenmue for me.

I hope they do if it means we get more expanded game/story next time. Money better spent elsewhere rather than on a mediocre/bad dub. I think if 4 is to ever happen, sacrifices will be necessary for it to happen and the dub would be one of the first things I'd choose to go.

Oct 30, 2017
I hope they do if it means we get more expanded game/story next time. Money better spent elsewhere rather than on a mediocre/bad dub. I think if 4 is to ever happen, sacrifices will be necessary for it to happen and the dub would be one of the first things I'd choose to go.
A lot of people are really resistant to this idea, but I think the overall result would be better than if they ended up doing another cheesy dub that every review criticizes. I can't even find a single review of the game that comments on the quality of the Japanese dub, which is unfortunate. The translation could also use a better localization team.

SpitztheGreat

May 16, 2019
I prefer my games with a dub, that way I don't need to read everything and risk missing anything on screen. However, Shenmue's dub is so bad (as is the script) that I'm willing to let it go. I can let the bad script writing go in S1 and S2, but it's pretty inexcusable in S3. It feels like whoever did the translating was lazy and/or new at their job.

Sumio Mondo

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
A lot of people are really resistant to this idea, but I think the overall result would be better than if they ended up doing another cheesy dub that every review criticizes. I can't even find a single review of the game that comments on the quality of the Japanese dub, which is unfortunate. The translation could also use a better localization team.

Yeah English was the default so that's what they used. I admit I have nostalgia for 1's dub, as funny as it is but 2 and 3's dubs are both just straight up bad (with just a couple of decent voices mixed in there). When 3's budget is so little, it's definitely a money sink having every NPC have their own unique voices. I love the detail of all that too and it would make me sad actually in a way. I love having the choice in the first place but obviously if it means we get more of a chance of 4 happening, I'd take no dub over no Shenmue 4.

I prefer my games with a dub, that way I don't need to read everything and risk missing anything on screen. However, Shenmue's dub is so bad (as is the script) that I'm willing to let it go. I can let the bad script writing go in S1 and S2, but it's pretty inexcusable in S3. It feels like whoever did the translating was lazy and/or new at their job.

Right. And when the budget is as tight as this game, it would have beneficial to spend more time on expanding that rushed final act than in areas that aren't as important. If they do 4, I'd also like Lucky Hit removed, since it took up so much of 2 and 3 that I'm kind of sick of it now and would prefer development resources on the actual battles (Huber's criticism of every enemy having the same kind of fighting style is accurate, imo). And bring back throws, for goodness sake, makes all the difference to combat for me.

Descendant

Nov 2, 2017
I personally didnt think the dub was all that bad for 90% of the characters. My main issue is Ryo feels inconsistent, there are brief moments where Ryo actually has glimmers of personality, but for the most part he goes back to just really stiff voice acting.

I think for the most part the NPCs has way better voice acting than the first two games.

J75

Sep 29, 2018
I tried playing Shenmue 3 with the Japanese audio and it just didn't feel right for me and i didn't really enjoy the game as much. Really hope they continue to do it. If Shenmue 4 is the last game, and the first 3 games got dubbed, might as well go all out.

Deleted member 23068

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Currently in Niaowu. Just found the Buddhist stand (showed the owner the photo). How much further have I got to go before the game is complete?

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Currently in Niaowu. Just found the Buddhist stand (showed the owner the photo). How much further have I got to go before the game is complete?
Loads, you've basically just started the second city. Just a heads up, your gonna need 5000 cash for a point later in the game, so make sure you grab those herbs laying around everywhere for some easy money.

SpitztheGreat

May 16, 2019
Do the herbs respawn? I'm being very careful with my money right now because I can't tell if the herbs respawn or not, or if they're very slow. If they don't respawn then that means you need to be very judicious with collecting them and what you spend. I don't enjoy the gambling aspect of Shenmue all that much, so I don't want to get too far along, blow all my herb money on capsule toys and move scrolls, only to then need to savescum the gambling because I need to raise thousands of dollars.

Speaking of Herbs, has anyone worked out the return on investment for each of the potions? The most expensive one will net you 450 yuan, but also requires the most ingredients. Meanwhile there's another potion that nets you 375 yuan, but requires (I think) 3 fewer ingredients. Theoretically, you could take those 3 extra ingredients and sell them in other potions and net more than 450 yuan in total, but I haven't sat down and plotted it out.

Also, I'll say that so far I am really liking Shenhua's voice actor. She is certainly a cut above everyone else. I don't understand the directing instructions they keep giving Cory- it's one thing to want a stoic main character, it's another to insist on him being so flat that he uninteresting.

Oct 30, 2017
No disrespect to Corey, but I think his other big acting role was like a stuntman at a Universal Studios show. Dude just doesn't have much experience outside Shenmue 1 + 2 (yikes!).

Sumio Mondo

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
I think in Corey's defense, it was basically, does he keep the same VA as the previous two games or branch out and try something else, at the end of the day he's being directed by somebody else to read the lines like he's told to do it.

I need to play the game in English more if people honestly think it's "much better" than 1 and 2, since to my ears, it sounds like they were trying to "pay homage" to the VA from the first two, to me.

Garwoofoo

Oct 28, 2017
Do the herbs respawn? I'm being very careful with my money right now because I can't tell if the herbs respawn or not, or if they're very slow. If they don't respawn then that means you need to be very judicious with collecting them and what you spend. I don't enjoy the gambling aspect of Shenmue all that much, so I don't want to get too far along, blow all my herb money on capsule toys and move scrolls, only to then need to savescum the gambling because I need to raise thousands of dollars.

I found a slightly cheaty way to make as much money as you want in Niaowu without save scumming.

There's a move scroll called Reverse Heel that you can trade four books for in any pawnshop. One of the books is in Western Bookstore, the other three are on the stall in Vendor Avenue, total outlay is about 12 Yuan. Trade them in for the scroll and you can immediately resell it back to the same vendor for 120 Yuan.

Buy a stack of about 500 of each book and you'll be rolling in money. It's a bit tedious trading them all in one by one but it doesn't take that long and it's quicker than save scumming the gambling games.

SpitztheGreat

May 16, 2019
I don't think Corey is untalented for a voice actor, I think the problem is 70% the direction and localization. That's what irks me so bad about the dub, no human being speaks like this and it should be easy to fix. In 2000 I didn't seem to mind, I knew it wasn't great and that the dialog didn't make much sense at times (Ryo: "No win." Girl at the Tomato Convenience Store: "Especially because you bought merchandise." What???), but hey the scope of the game was nuts so allowances were made. But in 2019 there's no excuse for this. From what I've read elsewhere Yu has a very particular idea for how Ryo interacts with people, but I don't think his vision is a good one. I truly do not mean this in a dismissive way or to be mean, but playing Shenmue 3 I was struck with a thought- if I met Ryo in person I would make the assumption that he is on the autism spectrum. There are times with Shenhua that he comes out of his shell a little (I hate carrots too!) but for the most part he feels like an alien who doesn't understand social norms. Women hit on him, guys are jealous of him, it doesn't matter because he's always the same in his delivery. It makes the game less interesting when the main character is so boring. I think Suzuki's vision of Ryo is of a silent and strong protagonist that is single mindedly focused on avenging his father. In practice, Ryo comes across as dull witted and uninteresting.

DOTDASHDOT

Helios Abandoned. Atropos Conquered.
Oct 26, 2017
I think in Corey's defense, it was basically, does he keep the same VA as the previous two games or branch out and try something else, at the end of the day he's being directed by somebody else to read the lines like he's told to do it.

I need to play the game in English more if people honestly think it's "much better" than 1 and 2, since to my ears, it sounds like they were trying to "pay homage" to the VA from the first two, to me.

I played Shenmue 1 and 2 in Japanese on release, and 3 with english subs, playing Shenmue with dubbed voices (which is how I see it) is no different to watching a martial arts film with overlaid english, just plain wrong. Imo the authentic way is to play the shenmue games with japanese voices, after all look at the countries and locations these games are based on, and the people in it.... how on earth could english be the way to enjoy it? Even before we get to the dodgy delivery. Beyond me.