• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

IrishNinja

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Vice City
HYMUhhb.jpg

jbL83j4.jpg

Developer: YS Net
Publisher: Deep Silver, Shibuya Productions
Download Size: 39.59 GB (PS4), up to 100 GB on PC
Platforms: PlayStation 4, PC
Release Dates: 11/19/19
Genre: Full Reactive Eyes Entertainment / Action-Adventure / Ryo Hazuki Simulator
Series Original Developer: SEGA-AM2 Co., Ltd.
Series Original Format: Shenmue (1999/2000) Dreamcast, Shenmue II (2001) DC [JP/EU], Xbox [US] , Shenmue 1/2 HD (2018) PS4/Xbox/PC
PC
Minimum Requirements
  • OS: Windows 7×64, Windows 8×64, Windows 10×64 (64-bit OS Required)
  • Processor: Intel Core i5-4460 (3.40 GHz) or better; Quad-core or better
  • Memory: 4 GB RAM
  • Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 650 Ti or better (DirectX 11 card & VRAM 2GB Required)
  • DirectX: Version 11
  • Storage: 100 GB available space
  • Network: Broadband internet connection
  • Sound Card: DirectX 9.0c compatible sound card
  • Additional Info: Requires Epic Games Store Client to activate.
Recommended
  • Processor: Intel Core i7-7700 (3.60 GHz)
  • Memory: 16GB RAM
  • Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070
  • DirectX: Version 11
  • Storage: 100 GB available space
  • Network: Broadband internet connection
  • Sound Card: DirectX 9.0c compatible sound card
  • Additional Info: Requires Epic Games Store Client to activate.

KSsVj3P.jpg
uAu6gx9.jpg
dRmwdg8.jpg

FmfLfq6.jpg
tDM80Uz.jpg
CUOsSML.jpg

QjhU2Ap.jpg

HixrAtN.jpg
LLIELiZ.jpg

STSS1pr.jpg
elsBEGp.jpg

OLfdcwy.jpg
2UDTvfK.jpg
c42Z8Sg.jpg

yrvpg5R.jpg

Digital Deluxe:
T4e8MHU.jpg

Limited Run - Collector's Edition:
pfd3PiR.jpg

Pix'n Love - Collector's Edition:
tmWjA5O.jpg

Steelbook:
7IS9V5K.jpg

129QXkG.jpg

zHCDExe.jpg

vkMXWtV.jpg

iDQfIU1.jpg

9632J6U.jpg

Yaj5G8i.jpg

RFwXNlS.jpg

X5YH1gz.jpg

YoAFH3p.jpg

Does this tie up the saga, then?

Not even close! In a recent interview, Suzuki said that by the end of 3, we'll be 40% through Ryo's journey. Suck it, George RR fans!
further, from Spaghetti "Yu tried to conclude the series with Shenmue III but determined it would not make for a good game having to rush to an ending. He thinks he can wrap it up in two further games, but one more at an absolute push."

What's the controversy with the PC version & refunds?

Epic Games is apparently paying for a 1 year exclusive for the PC copy, which many understandably find unfortunate. In an effort to both not minimize this & other complaints (there were definitely other hiccups during the kickstarter...) & also celebrate the revival of this beloved franchise, we ask everyone to keep the refund/controversy talk here. Much appreciated!

Do I need to play the original games?

Ideally, yes! Fortunately, there's a digest mode to catch up on, and in-game flashbacks to help bridge the gaps.
Also, last year's HD rereleases on PC & console make this super easy, and all versions can be found really cheap now as well.

Does Sega still own the IP? What's Sony's role here?

courtesy of my man Spaghetti "SEGA owns the IP. They licenced it out to Ys Net to produce Shenmue III + further games in the series.

Shibuya Productions are co-producers and the initial private financing partner, but couldn't cover the game's budget themselves, and wouldn't be able to release funds without the successful Kickstarter.

Sony is a marketing partner and at the time of the Kickstarter was set to be the publisher of the PS4 version if the KS was successful. Shibuya Productions were set to publish the PC version.

In 2017, Ys Net signed a publishing deal with Deep Silver, which included additional development capital. Sony and Shibuya stepped aside as publishers, but remain marketing partners.

SEGA are publishing the game in Japan. WeGame and Oasis Games in China on PS4/PC. Deep Silver and associated distribution partners everywhere else, I believe."

Which of Suzuki's arcade games will be here?

None! Leaving much more time for a game of Lucky Hit, which was really thoughtful.
There are a number of new and original arcade games included though, including a variety of mechanical arcade games and the Virtua Fighter pastiche Chobu Chan Fighter.

Official Site
Shenmue Documentary: Kickstarter
Shenmue Community |OT| The day the snow turned to rain
Shenmue I & 2 HD |OT| Like A Polished Mirror
Shenmue Dojo | Team Yu | Shenmue 500K | Shenmue Master
Open World Fatigue & Shenmue III: A Gaming Pioneer's Answer To Growing Homogeneity (light spoilers)

Images & so much more brought to you entirely by Spaghetti, Iwao and Flagship over at Shenmue Dojo - we did it y'all, blue skies forever~

NRluS9q.png

Last edited:

ianpm31

Oct 27, 2017
Damn what an OT.

Great job guys

It's been a very long journey but we're finally here.

V_Arnold

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Hungary
I am entering the twilight zone now as I realize slowly that the game is coming AND I have no way of finishing Shenmue II in two afternoons. I need to replay it, but I was busy lately. Damn..... this means I buy Shenmue III then I play Shenmue II first, while I have 3 on my library.

dreamfall

Oct 25, 2017
My goodness we made it! Happy to be alive - incredible OT, I can't wait to dive in. The backer trial was everything I needed.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Awesome OT. This'll probably be my only post in the thread until I finish the game as I'd rather keep spoilers to the minimum for the time being. Can't wait for my copy to arrive and finally get out of that damn cave...

ianpm31

Oct 27, 2017
I am entering the twilight zone now as I realize slowly that the game is coming AND I have no way of finishing Shenmue II in two afternoons. I need to replay it, but I was busy lately. Damn..... this means I buy Shenmue III then I play Shenmue II first, while I have 3 on my library.
Shenmue 3 has a story recap video just in case you want to dive in right away.

Glassjaw

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Absolutely surreal that it's finally here. Remembering the E3 announcement like it was yesterday. Bought the original on day one for the dreamcast and imported the second. Going to stop my death stranding play through tomorrow and continue the adventure. What a time to be alive!

thezboson

Oct 27, 2017
Great OT!

Finishing my first play-through of Shenmue 2, and I think I am nearing the end. I can tell it is REALLY not the type of game you should rush through, but I want to finish it before 3. Might come back to it later perhaps.

J2C

Oct 26, 2017
OT and that title brought a huge smile to my face. Amazing job, super stoked

Sumio Mondo

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
What an amazing OT. Exceeded my expectations! Bravo.

Can't wait until I get home tomorrow, waited almost two decades for this moment...Shenmue 3 is finally almost mine. It's going to be a surreal feeling having the game in my hands and then playing it.

Iwao

Oct 25, 2017
Absolutely surreal that it's finally here. Remembering the E3 announcement like it was yesterday. Bought the original on day one for the dreamcast and imported the second. Going to stop my death stranding play through tomorrow and continue the adventure. What a time to be alive!
If you can believe it, I'm not only going to hold off my Death Stranding play through, but I'm not going to play Shenmue III either until I've re-played the first 2 games again. I was supposed to do that in the weeks coming up to Tuesday, but things got super busy. Probably next weekend. I'll be happy to be sifting through the Shenmue packages that will be arriving for me though contemplating if this is reality or just a very long dream!

master15

Nov 28, 2017
Amazing thread, literally smiled while reading this.

I was fortunate to have got the game a week early and currently busy playing this as we speak. I won't post any spoilers but safe to say this feels like a genuine follow up to the Dreamcast games. The size, scope and scale of the environments I think will impress a lot of people and what they've been able to achieve on a budget still making this feel like a fully fledged Shenmue experience is a testament to Yu Suzuki.

I will post more detailed impressions later, but this series was revived by the passionate fans I'm glad they are mere days away from getting to play and experience this.

Sprat

Oct 27, 2017
England
Can't wait.

I'll feel bad for dropping death stranding as I always finish a game before moving on to something else but this is Shenmue! Everything else is irrelevant.

eddiemunstr

Jan 20, 2019
So what are everyones hopes for this games ending? Obviously its not going to finish the story, but I'm hoping it can give us a small bit of closure on something so that maybe this game will feel more like the end of an arc instead of just leaving us hanging. I certainly hope the game does well enough to get some sequels, but I cant honestly say I expect it to happen realistically.

Oct 30, 2017
I ask those who are worried about the review embargo as it relates to the final game's quality to have faith. Many fans are playing the retail copy and it is indeed very much so the real deal if you are a Shenmue fan. Video evidence exists in the wild if you need reassurance.

Apparently my copy is sitting in a distribution center 15 miles away. :)!

painey

Oct 27, 2017
Great OT. Bad title. Need to finally beat Shenmue 2 on game pass before I get this.

Tohsaka

Nov 17, 2017
Can't wait.

I'll feel bad for dropping death stranding as I always finish a game before moving on to something else but this is Shenmue! Everything else is irrelevant.
Same, Pokemon is going on hold until I finish this. I don't want to wait anymore after 18 years and risk getting spoiled.

th1nk

Nov 6, 2017
I wish reviews would give out two separate scores: one score for casual players and one score for Shenmue fans. I fear for low scores because Shenmue is a special beast of game that new players may not understand. Hoping for the best! :)

Magoo

Oct 28, 2017
UK
I've put 6 hours into it today. Not even really moving the story forward that much, just sightseeing, side activities and some sub stories.

Fans are in for a treat. It doesn't feel like a Kickstarter game at all.

Zor

Oct 30, 2017
Holy crap, look at that OT! It's happening, friends!

Already watched Shenmue: The Movie today as part of my prep (played through it and II for her first time ever last year) and will be breaking the seal on the 8-hour Shenmue II: The Movie tonight/tomorrow.

Sumio Mondo

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
All these comments about having waited half their lives, it's the same for me.

Played Shenmue 2 on Dreamcast during my high school/college years...would never have thought I'd have been waiting this long, so glad we made it.
I'm generally attracted to media that has long gaps...Berserk (manga), Kill The Past series and Twin Peaks as well! It's definitely taught me the beauty of patience, that's for sure.

ianpm31

Oct 27, 2017
Can't wait.

Yep every game is on hold because of Shenmue 3. I even requested time off from work so I can play this game thoroughly. Only Shenmue can do this.

AwesomeSauce

Oct 25, 2017
Yep every game is on hold because of Shenmue 3. I even requested time off from work so I can play this game thoroughly. Only Shenmue would make me do this.

I was hoping to finish Death Stranding by the time Shenmue III came out, but I've been super busy the last two weeks that I didn't even get to start DS.

As much as i love Kojima, I think I'm gonna have to go through Shenmue III first.

ValKiryuSonicEX

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
My kickstarter copy should arrive soon, still have finish up replaying 2 before I go to 3 though. Crazy that we're finally getting Shenmue 3, I wish Yu Suzuki and the YS Net team all the best.

BigHatPaul

May 28, 2019
Wait, this took fifteen years and a kickstarter to back and it's still not the conclusion? 40% of the way through? Will this series be able to be funded to the end?? Granted, I am looking forward to the game. Shenmue is something I grew up with.

ArchAngel

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I came into the cave as a young person and leave it as a almost middle aged man. All these feelings 😭😭😭
I hope my KS copy arrives soon.

Dyashen

Dec 20, 2017
Belgium
Goddamn... I still fondly remember this announcement at E3 2015.
I won't be playing it day-one but enjoy the game to those who've been waiting a very long time for it :)