• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Augemitbutter

Oct 25, 2017
for sparring qte i just input the commands as soon as the last button disappears. Works real well you just gotta be fast.

breakYODAy

Oct 25, 2017
for sparring qte i just input the commands as soon as the last button disappears. Works real well you just gotta be fast.

Agreed. Wait for it to feed you the full move prompt, then input as quickly as you can. I believe the "Great", "Good" and "Slow" ratings are based purely on how quickly you finish the input after pressing the first button.

Hadoken

Oct 25, 2017
Did anyone get a update on PC version? Not sure what the changes are, backer code still not working.

Ryo Hazuki

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I've never had issues with combat sparring QTE's. I just wait for the sequence to finish and then press the buttons as fast as possible and get Great every time. Obviously if I suck I get Good or Slow sometimes but if I mess up it's my fault for not pressing the buttons right.

The regular QTE's feel very fast compared to the previous games though.

GJ

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
Thanks I appreciate it. I'm hoping for 1 million copies, but that could be a tall order.
There are almost 70k backers on Kickstarter and I think I read Epic pre-bought 250k PC copies (not sure if that's true, can't find a source on it atm but I think someone in this thread mentioned it), so that's already ~320k copies sold on day 0. I'm not sure if they'll hit a million, but 500k would be easily doable. Especially with that Black Friday sale going on.

Descendant

Nov 2, 2017
There are almost 70k backers on Kickstarter and I think I read Epic pre-bought 250k PC copies (not sure if that's true, can't find a source on it atm but I think someone in this thread mentioned it), so that's already ~320k copies sold on day 0. I'm not sure if they'll hit a million, but 500k would be easily doable. Especially with that Black Friday sale going on.

I don't think the 70k backers count as a sale towards the game. Hopefully we get to know something about the sales a month after its release.

Shadoken

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think the 70k backers count as a sale towards the game. Hopefully we get to know something about the sales a month after its release.

Yea but thats where it becomes weird. Other games need to sell a certain amount to make back the budget. But in Shenmues case the budget is already covered. Every sale now is just profit.

John Dunbar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
what can you do with your lucky number or colour? i've tried turtle racing with the colour, but the results are mixed at best. is the chance of getting a rare capsule higher if you use a machine that is your lucky colour? and i have found nothing you can use your lucky number on.

Descendant

Nov 2, 2017
Yea but thats where it becomes weird. Other games need to sell a certain amount to make back the budget. But in Shenmues case the budget is already covered. Every sale now is just profit.

The problem is that YSnet got a publisher, so they added a bit more to the budget that was beyond what the Kickstarter achieved. So they do need to reach a certain level in order to get back a profit I believe. It's also a little tough considering how many different companies were involved however small it was in this project.

Shadow2222

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
You also can't really call the Epic deal "copies sold." If it fails to reach the number of pre-bought units sold, then Deep Silver (and maybe YsNet) will just view that money as insurance (or it may have already been used towards the game's budget with that last delay). If the Epic deal was for a guaranteed 200k units sold, and they sell only 50k, Deep Silver certainly won't be running to invest in a Shenmue IV.

master15

Nov 28, 2017
The combat can look really nice when user has maxed stats. From another player-

what can you do with your lucky number or colour? i've tried turtle racing with the colour, but the results are mixed at best. is the chance of getting a rare capsule higher if you use a machine that is your lucky colour? and i have found nothing you can use your lucky number on.

Find lucky colour and use it on Flower, Bird, Wind and Moon minigame.

Grimmy11

Oct 28, 2017
Got to Niaowu after about 15 hours and its pretty huge. I feel like Bailu is a about the size of Shenmue 1 and Niaowu is the size of Shenmue 2 in map size (from first impressions) which is pretty amazing.

Potential game breaking bug warning to people though. after I met
Ren..
it was nearly 9pm and if I let the clock go to 9 it would send me back to the hotel but hang on the loading screen forcing me to quit. It happened 3 times. Luckily I had a recent earlier save where I could rush to the meeting and then back to the hotel to get round it.

Oct 30, 2017
You also can't really call the Epic deal "copies sold." If it fails to reach the number of pre-bought units sold, then Deep Silver (and maybe YsNet) will just view that money as insurance (or it may have already been used towards the game's budget with that last delay). If the Epic deal was for a guaranteed 200k units sold, and they sell only 50k, Deep Silver certainly won't be running to invest in a Shenmue IV.
What do you reckon third place on the EGS chart for a week means?

ianpm31

Oct 27, 2017
It's still the #3 top seller on EGS for what it's worth. The EGS S3 launch trailer is at 5.4 million views and even gained a million in a few days. No idea what's going on

GJ

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
Well, like Shadow2222 said that doesn't really count for Epic. They need to sell the number of copies Epic bought first before they'll make a profit on PC, and we don't know how much Deep Silver contributed to the development, but they need to be compensated as well.

However, they sell a season pass with story content, which none of the Kickstarter backers got, so that's an extra €15/$15 for a big portion of the people who liked the game. I can't imagine the DLC will be that expensive to make, since looking at the trophies it's mostly fishing and gambling stuff, and we don't know where the story pack takes place (could be a new location) but they probably already made most of the assets during development (seeing as they scrapped an entire town during production which iirc was supposed to be the main location of Shenmue 3). On top of that every Steam copy they sell in a year will be 100% profit, I think.

I'm sure they'll be fine and it'll sell well enough. The question is if it'll sell well enough to warrant a sequel. Kickstarter won't cut it anymore for S4, so someone needs to cough up an extra 7 million. On the other hand they already made their combat system and other gameplay mechanics and a lot of assets, on top of what they didn't use for Baisha, so if they want to make a sequel with the same scope as 3 it should be cheaper to develop.

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
Got to Niaowu after about 15 hours and its pretty huge. I feel like Bailu is a about the size of Shenmue 1 and Niaowu is the size of Shenmue 2 in map size (from first impressions) which is pretty amazing.

Potential game breaking bug warning to people though. after I met
Ren..
it was nearly 9pm and if I let the clock go to 9 it would send me back to the hotel but hang on the loading screen forcing me to quit. It happened 3 times. Luckily I had a recent earlier save where I could rush to the meeting and then back to the hotel to get round it.
To me Bailu Village felt the same size as Yokosuka (excluding Harbour) and Niaowu the same size of Wan Chai but it's just a guess. Shenmue 2's world felt like it goes on forever.

Blunoise

Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta, GA
Well, like Shadow2222 said that doesn't really count for Epic. They need to sell the number of copies Epic bought first before they'll make a profit on PC, and we don't know how much Deep Silver contributed to the development, but they need to be compensated as well.

However, they sell a season pass with story content, which none of the Kickstarter backers got, so that's an extra €15/$15 for a big portion of the people who liked the game. I can't imagine the DLC will be that expensive to make, since looking at the trophies it's mostly fishing and gambling stuff, and we don't know where the story pack takes place (could be a new location) but they probably already made most of the assets during development (seeing as they scrapped an entire town during production which iirc was supposed to be the main location of Shenmue 3). On top of that every Steam copy they sell in a year will be 100% profit, I think.

I'm sure they'll be fine and it'll sell well enough. The question is if it'll sell well enough to warrant a sequel. Kickstarter won't cut it anymore for S4, so someone needs to cough up an extra 7 million. On the other hand they already made their combat system and other gameplay mechanics and a lot of assets, on top of what they didn't use for Baisha, so if they want to make a sequel with the same scope as 3 it should be cheaper to develop.
what town are u talking about the third area?

GJ

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
what town are u talking about the third area?
Baisha. They talk about it in the original Shenmue 3 Kickstarter pitch and in this stretch goal video. Baisha was the first stretch goal at 4 million, while Bailu was the third. Yu Suzuki calls Baisha "what Shenmue 3 is all about". There's also a trailer (edit: wasn't a trailer, it was a Kickstarter update) in which Ryo fights agents in black suits, which I believe takes place in Baisha, but I'm not sure. It wasn't in the game at least.

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
Baisha. They talk about it in the original Shenmue 3 Kickstarter pitch and in this stretch goal video. Baisha was the first stretch goal at 4 million, while Bailu was the third. Yu Suzuki calls Baisha "what Shenmue 3 is all about". There's also a trailer in which Ryo fights agents in black suits, which I believe takes place in Baisha, but I'm not sure. It wasn't in the game at least.

It would be cool if they had a wip Baisha they can work on, if they do 4.

Dineren

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Installed the update on PC, but I still didn't get the backer rewards in game despite my code saying it is valid. Was hoping to have a solution before Thanksgiving, but it seems like I'll be waiting a bit longer to play.

Blunoise

Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta, GA
Baisha. They talk about it in the original Shenmue 3 Kickstarter pitch and in this stretch goal video. Baisha was the first stretch goal at 4 million, while Bailu was the third. Yu Suzuki calls Baisha "what Shenmue 3 is all about". There's also a trailer in which Ryo fights agents in black suits, which I believe takes place in Baisha, but I'm not sure. It wasn't in the game at least.

man I thought a Isha was still in game but was diminished a little. I wonder what happen?

AmirMoosavi

Dec 10, 2018
Sparring QTE's work.

You need to input the move as fast as possible with no mistake inbetween. You can do it when it pops up or after. Once you get the hang for it its rather easy to max a move within 2 training sessions. Don't even watch the inputs, you'll know the move since you've highlighted it.

The other QTE are broken. They're unreliable and way too strict. I hate them. The ones in Shenmue 2's desolated buildings were bad, these ones aren't better. Really I expected slower QTE's in this game by now.

Yeah, I should have clarified. With sparring QTEs I wait until the sequence has finished and consistently get "Great!"s, but with the other "Command QTEs" you need to input commands as quickly as possible.

Deleted member 12352

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Capsule toys are seriously pissing me off. Spent hundreds on the fucking things but it seems like there's always one last toy that it refuses to give out (eg. tennis ball in the tennis capsules, Baseball in the assorted balls capsules).

Guessing there's no way to get around the RNG shit here?

Sumio Mondo

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
Baisha was where the siege town was right? Was going to be a castle town with a light strategy minigame that was hinted at as well as most likely more fights with Chiyoumen members. They originally said they were cutting back on that portion of that game, IIRC. Then later announced they cut it out completely. Definitely will either be the DLC or left for Shenmue 4 where it can be further realised more fully, rather than as cut back as they probably originally did. I'm guessing some important story elements were going to take place.

Shadow2222

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
What do you reckon third place on the EGS chart for a week means?

Hey, don't get me wrong, I sure hope it means that it is selling like crazy! I want a Shenmue IV more than I think I wanted a Shenmue III lol.
Capsule toys are seriously pissing me off. Spent hundreds on the fucking things but it seems like there's always one last toy that it refuses to give out (eg. tennis ball in the tennis capsules, Baseball in the assorted balls capsules).

Guessing there's no way to get around the RNG shit here?

You aren't wrong - there is one rare one in every single set (Ryo will say "I did it!" when you get it versus the normal "I see," "This is great," etc.). Some people are speculating that the lucky color from the fortune teller may also apply to the capsule machine, but we don't have any concrete evidence yet.

Oct 25, 2017
Anybody succeeded with the shopping list quest in Niaowu? Is it just about getting the right items or do I also have to run around and get them at the lowest price available as well?

Zor

Oct 30, 2017
Just finished it.

Truly adored it.

Nothing else to say really. So glad we got this.

DSync

Oct 27, 2017
Hello

As someone who has never played any of the Shenmue games but knows of its legacy and how much it means to people

My only questions are...

Are you happy with it? Has it been worth the wait? And to those who have finished III is it still another cliffhanger or could this technically finish here?

Not a troll set of questions I am genuinely curious as someone from the outside looking in so to speak

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
Hello

As someone who has never played any of the Shenmue games but knows of its legacy and how much it means to people

My only questions are...

Are you happy with it? Has it been worth the wait? And to those who have finished III is it still another cliffhanger or could this technically finish here?

Not a troll set of questions I am genuinely curious as someone from the outside looking in so to speak
No game is worth 18 years. Shenmue 3 sounds it was a nightmare to get off the ground, after the series originally flopped, thankfully the kickstarter craze came. A lot of us went in knowing Yu Suzuki didn't have the same funding of the original, it was not going to be as good as the superlative Shenmue 2. And kickstarter video game ofter underwhelm, so a game that turned out to be charming and fun to jorney its world... is good enough. I don't feel the need to say if there is a dramctic cliffhanger but the story is certainly not at the intended ending.

Descendant

Nov 2, 2017
Hello

My only questions are...

Definitely happy with it, and it was worth the wait to me. It's clear that budget and other things prevented this game from being even better, but I believe it's still one of the most unique games you could ever play. As far as the ending its definitely more conclusive than Shenmue II.

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
Definitely happy with it, and it was worth the wait to me. It's clear that budget and other things prevented this game from being even better, but I believe it's still one of the most unique games you could ever play. As far as the ending its definitely more conclusive than Shenmue II.
It really felt to me the ending we got was meant to the end of act 2, and act 3 we would take on sun, retrieving the phoenix mirror in Biasha village. I really think Sun was meant to be the main antagonist like Chai in Shenmue 1 or Dou Niu in part 2, but I guess they had to cut the last act. At least in Shenmue 2 Dou Niu is confronted and defeated. There's no real grudge between Ryo and the leader of the red snakes, he doesn't feel like he was meant to be the final boss. It was nice to learn more about Shenhua and meet Ren again, and meet Iwao's masters but it has the least gratifying story in the series unfortunately