• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 30, 2017
There really wasn't a huge full-time staff working on this game. A lot was outsourced. I was surprised to find out Neilo and the original music team really had no role in the game aside from being involved at the very beginning:

New crowdfunding or Kickstarter effort would be a disaster. I really hope that's not even an option because the results would be embarrassing.

Sumio Mondo

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
There really wasn't a huge full-time staff working on this game. A lot was outsourced. I was surprised to find out Neilo and the original music team really had no role in the game aside from being involved at the very beginning:

New crowdfunding or Kickstarter effort would be a disaster. I really hope that's not even an option because the results would be embarrassing.

The series main composer left early on by the sounds of things (Ryuji Iuchi). I'm curious why. And the original writer (who also wrote Shenmue 1).

Very strange for Neilo getting dumped too. Noticed they were the devs behind the Alternative Jake Hunter game in PS4...

Oct 30, 2017
The series main composer left early on by the sounds of things (Ryuji Iuchi). I'm curious why. And the original writer (who also wrote Shenmue 1).

Very strange for Neilo getting dumped too. Noticed they were the devs behind the Alternative Jake Hunter game in PS4...
I find it interesting one of the lead programmers worked on Republique and very clearly isn't Japanese. There are also a few Suda51 alum on the staff from what I can tell.

ianpm31

Oct 27, 2017

The budget couldn't have been that large. There has to be a decent chance for a S4 but there's so many unknown variables. Guess time will tell

Acquiescence

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Lake Titicaca
Is there a comprehensive list of all the side quests in Bailu? Looks like I'm near the point of no return and I'd like to get them all out of the way before I move on.

FLCL

Oct 27, 2017
Is there a comprehensive list of all the side quests in Bailu? Looks like I'm near the point of no return and I'd like to get them all out of the way before I move on.
Pretty sure side quests are timed, so they are only up during certain parts of the story. You might have already missed some due to that. And I don't know if there is a list, sorry.

Sumio Mondo

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
Noticed that trophy list still states nobody has gotten the platinum (and at least a couple have gotten the fishing one now, just the complete all side quests one that nobody has done, last I looked anyway).

Deleted member 721

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
famitsu sales

This Week's Japanese Software Charts

1. Pokémon Sword / Shield (Switch) – 382,540
  2. Ring Fit Adventure (Switch) – 26,141
  3. Luigi's Mansion 3 (Switch) – 23,872
  4. Shenmue III (PS4) – 17,857
  5. Death Stranding (PS4) – 12,520
  6. Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order (PS4) – 10,321
  7. Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Games Tokyo 2020 (Switch) – 8,826
  8. Super Mario Party (Switch) – 8,576
  9. Minecraft (Switch) – 8,512
  10. Mario Kart 8 Deluxe (Switch) – 7,360

Kamek

Oct 27, 2017
I don't want any spoilers at all, haven't read a single post in this thread, but I ask if you have a fix for this issue please let me know.

Playing on PS4 and got a black screen when the time reached 9pm after
in Niaowu I did a QTE to catch/chase the thugs and now I'm looking for them

I went to bed for the night after that black screen so I haven't had the time/chance to play past that point, but can anyone quote my post and tell me if it's a common issue? Is there a way to escaoe the black screen? Again please no spoilerino, just wanna know about this issue, and quote my post if you reply to me, because I only want to read the replies to my post/request. No other impressions while I play. Thanks a lot for respecting that era fam.

Mugen

Oct 28, 2017
Stockholm, Sweden
I don't want any spoilers at all, haven't read a single post in this thread, but I ask if you have a fix for this issue please let me know.

Playing on PS4 and got a black screen when the time reached 9pm after
in Niaowu I did a QTE to catch/chase the thugs and now I'm looking for them

I went to bed for the night after that black screen so I haven't had the time/chance to play past that point, but can anyone quote my post and tell me if it's a common issue? Is there a way to escaoe the black screen? Again please no spoilerino, just wanna know about this issue, and quote my post if you reply to me, because I only want to read the replies to my post/request. No other impressions while I play. Thanks a lot for respecting that era fam.
In short, I believe you have the same issue as this one reported by me and this one reported by Grimmy11 (and maybe by more people earlier in thread). (You might want to wait just a little on those spoilertags.)

It seems to me the issue can be circumvented by being at the hotel before 9pm. Eventually I have been able to warp back at 9pm again without crashing the game. So play it safe for a while until it works again. Hopefully post-saves are fine by this.

On backer-DLC for PC, since some have asked. Afaik, at least a handful of people have now been in direct contact with Ysnet, myself included. They have gathered certain info and acknowledge there is a problem. However I have seen no signs of solutions yet, even after the recent updates of EGL and Shenmue III.

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
A nitpick that I have at the beggining of the game. When you first start looking for clues of the guys who are terrorizing the village, it feels weird to ask for directions when you have Shenhua next to you. There were lots of times when I felt than the beggining will be less tedious if they added to the conversations with the NPC just one or two lines with Shenhua telling you where to go

It was also inmersion breaking because you can tell thay everyone knows who Shenhua is

Augemitbutter

Oct 25, 2017
A nitpick that I have at the beggining of the game. When you first start looking for clues of the guys who are terrorizing the village, it feels weird to ask for directions when you have Shenhua next to you. There were lots of times when I felt than the beggining will be less tedious if they added to the conversations with the NPC just one or two lines with Shenhua telling you where to go

It was also inmersion breaking because you can tell thay everyone knows who Shenhua is

yea, i think you have to deal with more immersion breaking things like this for the whole game. They had time to build a game and pay attention to every little detail in the original games. That's not going to happen here.

John Dunbar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Are there Chobus in the arcades? I found them in the Prize Exchanges upstairs, but can you find them in the arcade itself as well?

Romain

Senior Editor, Gameblog
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Have you guys noticed that the two guys who terrorize Bailu Village have the same design as two of Shenmue 1's NPCs (Takashi from the tattoo parlor and one of the bikers)?

Clive

Oct 25, 2017
Have you guys noticed that the two guys who terrorize Bailu Village have the same design as two of Shenmue 1's NPCs (Takashi from the tattoo parlor and one of the bikers)?
Speaking of reunions, the two other guys in this picture look very much like the guys watching the fight after 1:13 in the A Day in Shenmue trailer. Lots of throwbacks in Shenmue III.
lpshen_20_16.jpg

So all three are in the game.

OrochiJR

Oct 29, 2017
So I started the game two days ago. Didn't get very far yet, but is there a way to pause dialogue and cutscenes? I believe I tried every button, but Ryo and Shenhua kept rambling on, LOL.

Serein

Mar 7, 2018
My Limited Run Collector's Edition finally arrived today. I knew it was probably stuck in customs Hell but still, I was starting to worry about it. I picked up a retail copy for the steelbook though so I've been playing that.

Finally finished Bailu so just some random personal thoughts about the game as I sit here. Enjoying it so far although I really disliked the QTEs. I don't know if the timing is really strict or age is just dulling my reflexes but constantly failing them first time around with no second chance so you have to watch the cutscene again really disrupts the flow of the game. The budget shows but I really like the ambience of the game and a big part of that is the colour palette and the music but the little things contribute to that too.

As a big fan of kung fu films (I have several hundred on disc), I do find a certain romance in the kung fu training aspects of the game so far and I disciplined myself to do a bit each day instead of trying to build my skills up all at once in a day or two. That fight with the two dudes stonewalled me for a bit and put me off but I stuck with it instead of reaching for the Snake Powers and I've come round a bit on the battle system. I wish I could use the d-pad to move and was a bit more mobile but the button-combo system for the moves is interesting, plus it's pretty damn satisfying when you land a good blow that makes an opponent crumple to the floor like a sack of potatoes. That high roundhouse kick (Tiger Thigh?) is pretty awesome. Attack Power being linked to mastering skill books via sparring is an idea I think I like as it makes it worthwhile to try and get as many as possible and engage with the exchange system to do so.

The editing and composition of the cutscenes can be really odd and distracting but that's a fairly common complaint. Another is the depleting stamina and while I don't mind it in principle it can be annoying, especially early in the game. I'd rather the food regenerated more health rather than eating several odd items. Someone mentioned eating at cafes etc and I can agree that would be more immersive. Perhaps they should have stamina only deplete after it hits 12 o'clock until you eat your lunch; maybe again at 5-6 o'clock too.

I left Bailu with 100,000 tokens and didn't save scum at all as I found a Lucky Hit I could reliably win more than I'd lose. In Joy Park with the flirty lady, choose the middle board. Then nudge the drop a bit to the right just enough to miss the first pin so it lands on the one just a bit further down and bounces left. You'll get a bad run occasionally but I've also had a run where I won 8 out of 10 games. I just went in most days and played a few games until I'd raised my total by 5000 or so tokens. I'm not saying it's a necessarily fast method but it's worked well for me.

I actually really like the log chopping mini game. There's something oddly satisfying about it and the music kicking in when you get a "Very Good" really gets you going. The mechanical car chase game is really charming although doesn't have any real long term appeal for me. God knows how many hours I've wasted on the darts game in I and II so I'm disappointed I haven't seen that (yet?) and there's nothing else that has much replayability for me. Fishing's kinda relaxing but I didn't play it much and wish I had got more involved with the competitions involved with that as they passed me by.

Haven't played much so far now that I'm in the city but searching for Chobu-chan is pretty addicting. Most are pretty easy to find but the little bugger's really well hidden in some of the stores. Phoned Nozomi and man, that really got me in the feels.

Overall this has felt like more than just a faithful return to the series as there's something about this game that really evokes the whole Dreamcast era of gaming and that's really quite a powerful thing for me. I know the game is far from perfect and there's a lot of room for improvement in part IV but that hasn't really affected my enjoyment of the game so far and I'm just loving existing in this world. I really hope we get part IV and if we do part of me thinks it's best if Yu Suzuki wraps it all up so we can all get closure and move on, himself included.

Does the colour fortune affect the capsule machines too? it feels like it does but I'm not sure if it's just placebo.

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
I noticed this and there's also someone's brother in the harbour, lol a call-out to one of the worse scenes in Shenmue 2. Silly as fuck they repeated that joke twice.

John Dunbar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I feel I was pretty thorough, but I must still have missed most of the side quests in Niaowu. I got the Chobu from pretty much every store, pretty much all the herbs, completed all the capsule sets, got all but two movement scrolls, etc., but the "requests" section in the notebook is filled with blank pages. No idea how that happened. I only found couple.

Also, anyone know what's the deal with the hotel owner dancing with the bald dude (I think it's the barber) if you look down from the balcony? I feel it must be a side quest, but didn't manage to find it.

Lionheart

Oct 26, 2017
My copy never shipped so I emailed them, 2 days ago they redeployed another copy for me. It still says shipping label created not yet picked up or whatever.

Am I the only one? (Canada)

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Finally picked this game up. Really excited to get started later tonight.
I didn't have to wait nearly as long as you all. Only played I & II for the first time in 2016 or so.

Blunoise

Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta, GA
You know after a few days went by, even if the conclusion wasn't that great I think as a middle entry it did a good job to get Roy to train and learn about shenua. I think shenmue 4 will have most of our answers and I'm looking forward to it. I'm also thinking the dlc will not expand the ending but give a new story in between the story.

ket

Jul 27, 2018
I finally beat the game, some of my thoughts (copy pasted from another thread):

Overall, this was a decent but heavily flawed game. Most of its story is filler and many of the significant plot developments only occur in the game's finale. Shenhua and Ryo's relationship was extremely boring due to dull, perfunctory dialogue that contained very little personality or chemistry, poor voice acting, and poor characterization. This was a huge flaw for me since these two characters are likely going to be the most important part of Shenmue's story going forward.

Speaking of which, while the end credits message from Yu Suzuki about wanting to make a Shenmue 4 was heartwarming (as was all the Kickstarter backer dedications found throughout the game), Shenmue 3's ending could leave fans, once again, with having to hope that the overall story is resolved (which might not happen due to Shenmue 3's reportedly poor sales).

Grimmy11

Oct 28, 2017
the capsules need some sega love.

Definitely. I only really care about the Shenmue ones. Would have loved them to have the Virtua Fighter and Sonic ones again.

I've noticed in the arcades some of cabinets are turned off with "Coming soon" banners on the screen. Anyone think there's a chance we'll get some Sega Classics in the DLC?

OP
OP
IrishNinja

IrishNinja

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Vice City
famitsu sales

This Week's Japanese Software Charts

1. Pokémon Sword / Shield (Switch) – 382,540
  2. Ring Fit Adventure (Switch) – 26,141
  3. Luigi's Mansion 3 (Switch) – 23,872
  4. Shenmue III (PS4) – 17,857
  5. Death Stranding (PS4) – 12,520
  6. Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order (PS4) – 10,321
  7. Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Games Tokyo 2020 (Switch) – 8,826
  8. Super Mario Party (Switch) – 8,576
  9. Minecraft (Switch) – 8,512
  10. Mario Kart 8 Deluxe (Switch) – 7,360

is this good? i hope it's good

There are a few SEGA capsules in Niaowu (Astro City cabinet, SEGA Saturn, Hang-On Cabinet).

ooooooooooo
saving my tickets for these!