• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Rapscallion

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone encounter a consistent black screen glitch? Every time I get taken back to the hotel I'm getting hung up on a black screen that goes no where. Don't know what to do. My load triggers the event within seconds of loading.

Oct 30, 2017
I'm monitoring US retailers' websites and where Shenmue 3 is ranked and I'd say that it's probably not even cracking the top 20. It's been in the hundreds on Amazon, even at $34.95 (though it did sell out), and nowhere to be seen on Target's or GameStop's sites. It is #3 on Best Buy for some reason, but I'm guessing deal hunters liked that it came with a steel book at a low price. I'm not even sure all retailers are stocking copies in store: it doesn't seem like Target is.

Oct 30, 2017
Hate that I'm worrying about sales, but we just waited 18 years for this game and they
did not at all make a game that even comes close to answering the questions we've been asking for 18 years
. Yeah, this kind of sucks. :/ I just don't see how we're gonna get another two Shenmue's when things are looking like this.

I think the team did a truly admirable job making a true successor to Shenmue 1/2 on a tight budget and deserve way more credit than they've received from some fans for doing so, but they should've tried to focus on storytelling as well given the precarious situation we are in.

Sumio Mondo

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
So how many of the side quests have people done? I just did two in Bailu where
You go ghost hunting and talk to Wei Zhen about an admirer.
Funny stuff. It's kind of odd how these are now separated when in the old games they would have been just part of the quest chain.
Also I am really glad I am taking my time with the game and chatting with Shenhua in the evening getting all the interesting dialogue choices. So much here that I reckon people have missed entirely.

Sunlight

Apr 22, 2019
It's less than the recent remaster of Shenmue 1 & 2. And OG Shenmue launched at 250,000.

I tried to find the tweet I came across that said this but I couldn't find it. Sorry
www.famitsu.com

ゲームソフト販売本数ランキング | ゲーム・エンタメ最新情報のファミ通.com

PS5、PS4、Switch、3DS等の推定ゲーム販売本数ランキング30件です。2024年4月1日~2024年4月7日に集計された店舗データが元になっています。

Last year SHENMUE 1+2 sold 37529 units in the first week.
This year SHENMUE3 only sold 17857 retail units + 4457 kickstarter units =22314 units.

In UK SHENMUE3 first week drops 50% compared with SHENMUE 1+2.

I am very surprised how SHENMUE3 sold significantly worse than SHENMUE 1+2. How could it possible?????

ket

Jul 27, 2018
It was never supposed to be good. That's why I was pissed at the missed opportunity to wrap it up.
To those that finished the game watch the credit till the end. He is still counting on the fans for Shenmue 4

theres no way he could've wrapped up shenmue's whole story in the third game. We've barely met any of the Chi You Men's leaders

Descendant

Nov 2, 2017
www.famitsu.com

ゲームソフト販売本数ランキング | ゲーム・エンタメ最新情報のファミ通.com

PS5、PS4、Switch、3DS等の推定ゲーム販売本数ランキング30件です。2024年4月1日~2024年4月7日に集計された店舗データが元になっています。

Last year SHENMUE 1+2 sold 37529 units in the first week.
This year SHENMUE3 only sold 17857 retail units + 4457 kickstarter units =22314 units.

In UK SHENMUE3 first week drops 50% compared with SHENMUE 1+2.

I am very surprised how SHENMUE3 sold significantly worse than SHENMUE 1+2. How could it possible?????

My guess is marketing? Shenmue 1 & 2 maybe had a better marketing in Japan by Sega, and they are legacy titles. Either way Shenmue I dont think has ever been that big in Japan anyway.

ianpm31

Oct 27, 2017
I would relax until we get word from Cedric or deep silver. Game doesn't have a big budget and there are so much info that we dont have.

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Just started, but loving this game so far. Glad I was able to sneak it in before the end of the year. Even little stuff like chatting with Shenhua until late at night is really endearing.

Couple questions though. Does this game have quests that are only avaliable on certain days?
Also, when upgrading moves during the sparing, for the qte am I to press the prompts as they appear, or right after?

Kamek

Oct 27, 2017
I just finished this game, and wanted to wait before I finished it to read any impressions, read this thread (Except for one post about a glitch) and give my thoughts Spoilers abound of course in the spoiler tags.

My spoiler free version:

This game was everything I could have imagined and more. I'm in awe of how much they were able to accomplish with a limited budget. Wow. Simply wow. Yu said he went above the original score and it SHOWED. Does anyone know when the DLC comes out?

The amount of detail that went into so many things in this game has me dumbfounded. The game felt like the natural evolution of the Dreamcast games, and was the perfect, slice-of-life charm and intangible spirit that I remember from both 1 and 2. I LOVED the food mechanic, and it constantly kept me on my toes. I constantly was going to stores to grab a bite to eat, to ensure that my stamina was up to get the most out of training. This game had some of the absolute BEST use of money that I can remember in any game. I constantly felt like I needed to make money, and just when I thought I was safe
I had to drop 5k on an arcane book

I developed a routine of training in the morning for a few hours, earning a few dollars here and there, then going about my daily routine. Again, I love the slice of life escapism that Shenmue gives. I had my first trip to Japan this year, and although this game takes place in China, the feelings I got from this game make me miss it.

I couldn't believe how big this area was. It seemed like more and more kept opening up to me. I loved that not everything was accessible from the beginning. A lot of my favorite games as a kid had that sense of wonder - what's happening next? What's new to explore? That kind of feeling. I LOVED pail toss, and the turtle and frog races were fun. Lucky Hit was also really addictive, and of course capsule toys were a throwback. I loved Ternary Spring where Grandmaster Feng lived. My only gripe was I needed to do more fishing. I was scared to waste too much time before I got a "bad" ending like S1. Don't know if this was still a thing, but I'll look it up after this post and find out.

I was upset at the fact that I didn't realize that if you activate a sidequest and press the sidequest button again, immediately after, it fails the sidequest. This happened to me for capsule of love and I had to reload a save. I wish I was able to do all the sidequests, but I guess that's what NG+ is for.

WOW. The sheer size and scope of Niaowu was insane. The amount of stores, and random things to buy, the varying prices - it felt like a living breathing city more than any one in the series so far and the bar was already set super high from Yokosuka. I loved the music switches, the temples and the gated areas that seemed to open up as the story progressed. I loved the fight club, but I have to say I was a little overwhelmed by the sheer number of venture areas. I still don't know if I can fight some wooden doll in Muren Cafe.

The hotel was a cool new sleeping spot, though i wish there were more inhabitants to interact with. I want to fight more people as I've essentially maxed out everything and LOVED the combat system in this game.

Was a little disappointed in the lack of characterization of the Red Snake's boss, but loved the over the top kung fu movie cutscenes toward the end.

I was hoping, HOPING, for the reveal of who REALLY killed Zhao Sunming. I don't think it was Iwao, and I thought Yuan would know, but fucking hell... this game has me on edge in hopes there is a new way to fund it. I loved the Lan Di fight, but I really did think we'd fight one more of the Chi You Men. The way I see it, is that S4 will have all the major reveals, and S5 will wrap everything up. I do think Ryo will kill Lan Di, but at a great price. Something also gives me a Ren will betray Ryo vibe. There was a shot at the end where Yuan talks about something shady and then it cuts to Ren. I hope not, but something tells me there's still more tension between the two to come.

I wanted more interaction with Lan Di, and more of a conversation but this seemed like a set up game for a huge Empire Strikes Back style Shenmue 4.

That message from Yu at the end really pulled at my heartstrings. Not everything was handled correctly, and the "slipcase" I received as a 300$ tier backer was laughable, but the game delivered everything I wanted, it is easy to forgive these things. I felt Yu's sincerity when he said he would tirelessly work to make sure that S4 is made in the ending message. I can only hope it's the case.

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
When does this game pick up?

Also, shenmue 4 should be a VR game.
It is a slow game but the second half has more set pieces and QTEs. It also feel faster when you master the battle system and there are more opportunties to save scum at gambling and with furtune telling. For me it started clicking once I got very effective at constanty switching a deck of moves with the triggers.

Blunoise

Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta, GA
I just finished this game, and wanted to wait before I finished it to read any impressions, read this thread (Except for one post about a glitch) and give my thoughts Spoilers abound of course in the spoiler tags.

My spoiler free version:

This game was everything I could have imagined and more. I'm in awe of how much they were able to accomplish with a limited budget. Wow. Simply wow. Yu said he went above the original score and it SHOWED. Does anyone know when the DLC comes out?

The amount of detail that went into so many things in this game has me dumbfounded. The game felt like the natural evolution of the Dreamcast games, and was the perfect, slice-of-life charm and intangible spirit that I remember from both 1 and 2. I LOVED the food mechanic, and it constantly kept me on my toes. I constantly was going to stores to grab a bite to eat, to ensure that my stamina was up to get the most out of training. This game had some of the absolute BEST use of money that I can remember in any game. I constantly felt like I needed to make money, and just when I thought I was safe
I had to drop 5k on an arcane book

I developed a routine of training in the morning for a few hours, earning a few dollars here and there, then going about my daily routine. Again, I love the slice of life escapism that Shenmue gives. I had my first trip to Japan this year, and although this game takes place in China, the feelings I got from this game make me miss it.

I couldn't believe how big this area was. It seemed like more and more kept opening up to me. I loved that not everything was accessible from the beginning. A lot of my favorite games as a kid had that sense of wonder - what's happening next? What's new to explore? That kind of feeling. I LOVED pail toss, and the turtle and frog races were fun. Lucky Hit was also really addictive, and of course capsule toys were a throwback. I loved Ternary Spring where Grandmaster Feng lived. My only gripe was I needed to do more fishing. I was scared to waste too much time before I got a "bad" ending like S1. Don't know if this was still a thing, but I'll look it up after this post and find out.

I was upset at the fact that I didn't realize that if you activate a sidequest and press the sidequest button again, immediately after, it fails the sidequest. This happened to me for capsule of love and I had to reload a save. I wish I was able to do all the sidequests, but I guess that's what NG+ is for.

WOW. The sheer size and scope of Niaowu was insane. The amount of stores, and random things to buy, the varying prices - it felt like a living breathing city more than any one in the series so far and the bar was already set super high from Yokosuka. I loved the music switches, the temples and the gated areas that seemed to open up as the story progressed. I loved the fight club, but I have to say I was a little overwhelmed by the sheer number of venture areas. I still don't know if I can fight some wooden doll in Muren Cafe.

The hotel was a cool new sleeping spot, though i wish there were more inhabitants to interact with. I want to fight more people as I've essentially maxed out everything and LOVED the combat system in this game.

Was a little disappointed in the lack of characterization of the Red Snake's boss, but loved the over the top kung fu movie cutscenes toward the end.

I was hoping, HOPING, for the reveal of who REALLY killed Zhao Sunming. I don't think it was Iwao, and I thought Yuan would know, but fucking hell... this game has me on edge in hopes there is a new way to fund it. I loved the Lan Di fight, but I really did think we'd fight one more of the Chi You Men. The way I see it, is that S4 will have all the major reveals, and S5 will wrap everything up. I do think Ryo will kill Lan Di, but at a great price. Something also gives me a Ren will betray Ryo vibe. There was a shot at the end where Yuan talks about something shady and then it cuts to Ren. I hope not, but something tells me there's still more tension between the two to come.

I wanted more interaction with Lan Di, and more of a conversation but this seemed like a set up game for a huge Empire Strikes Back style Shenmue 4.

That message from Yu at the end really pulled at my heartstrings. Not everything was handled correctly, and the "slipcase" I received as a 300$ tier backer was laughable, but the game delivered everything I wanted, it is easy to forgive these things. I felt Yu's sincerity when he said he would tirelessly work to make sure that S4 is made in the ending message. I can only hope it's the case.
Yea like I keep saying S3 was like an intermission and S4 will be on full stop reveals! I am also thinking now that Yu maybe intentionally cut the third area out because he thought it would fit in S4 more and it will be easier to expand on 4 because the groundwork is finished

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
I like the slow pace of the game but man it's clunky.
If they do Shenmue 4 (and you never know when this series is dead) I hope they bring back free run and battles and make it so you don't bump into the environment as much when you fight. I think I get it, Suzuki probably wanted to do a battle system more to do with blocking and decks of techniques, and did a grand overhaul of the battle system after starting from scratch when he started building the game, but I really find the old battles felt like you were much faster and resilient and it just was overall more fun.

batfax

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I'm really hoping if Yu Suzuki does Shenmue 4 it is not with Deep Silver publishing.

Considering that from what I've heard, Deep Silver forced them into an exclusivity deal that fed into the already bad press S3's development has been dogged by and then immediately pocketed the money instead of reinvesting it into expanding the game's scope so I'd be impressed if Ys Net was even remotely interested in working with them a second time. There has to be better ways to publish the game without them, especially since Deep Silver hasn't even really been doing the legwork you generally expect like major advertising or anything.

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
I'm really hoping if Yu Suzuki does Shenmue 4 it is not with Deep Silver publishing.
I just hope we get a Shenmue 4 at all, 3 wasn't my favourite but gave me enough joy, with its world and quirkiness to make me want a 4th. I'm happy if any publisher let's Yu Suzuki do his thing. Shenmue 3 is like a 6 or 7 out of 10 to me but I want to go back already, the towns are so fun to mossey around in.

Dineren

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Just curious, has anyone with backer code issues (specifically no rewards but the game says code is valid) gotten them resolved yet? I've been trading emails with someone at the info@shenmue email, but so far it has just been them asking questions.

AllMight1

Oct 27, 2017
Can't stop having fuzzy warm feelings and smiling while playing Shenmue 3.
When i first started my thoughts were a bit overwhelmed because i was like "Holy shit, it's actually happening, i'm playing!"

And i'm loving the game so so much. I spend so much time training and just talking to everyone spending their lines.

Also... Talking with Shenhua, holy shit the character development that we get here IS FUCKING GOLD.

Sumio Mondo

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
Just started, but loving this game so far. Glad I was able to sneak it in before the end of the year. Even little stuff like chatting with Shenhua until late at night is really endearing.

Couple questions though. Does this game have quests that are only avaliable on certain days?
Also, when upgrading moves during the sparing, for the qte am I to press the prompts as they appear, or right after?

Yes. Quests will appear after certain parts of the story have been completed (or maybe it is by days, not sure, but if you look at my earlier post about two side quests I got back to back, this was after going to a temple area).
It took me a long time to figure it out since people here were wrong in saying that you wait for the sequence to finish. You don't do that at all, you push the buttons in sequence as fast as you can. That's how I've now been getting "Great" so much in sparring, I was getting so many Slow and Missed before because I was listening to bad advice from here lol.

Another bit of advice: do not skip days and go back to Shenhua's house, otherwise you will miss Side Quests. And make sure you talk to Shenhua every night, there's so much amazing dialogue I think people here have missed entirely.

AllMight1

Oct 27, 2017
Yes. Quests will appear after certain parts of the story have been completed (or maybe it is by days, not sure, but if you look at my earlier post about two side quests I got back to back, this was after going to a temple area).
It took me a long time to figure it out since people here were wrong in saying that you wait for the sequence to finish. You don't do that at all, you push the buttons in sequence as fast as you can. That's how I've now been getting "Great" so much in sparring, I was getting so many Slow and Missed before because I was listening to bad advice from here lol.

Another bit of advice: do not skip days and go back to Shenhua's house, otherwise you will miss Side Quests. And make sure you talk to Shenhua every night, there's so much amazing dialogue I think people here have missed entirely.

SERIOUSLY, when I see people mentioning they beat the game in 3 days or so, i'm like that's whack. True fans I guess. The game just has so much to offer if you only stop and smell the roses. The character development from Shenhua and Ryo from these convos is simply huge.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
SERIOUSLY, when I see people mentioning they beat the game in 3 days or so, i'm like that's whack. True fans I guess. The game just has so much to offer if you only stop and smell the roses. The character development from Shenhua and Ryo from these convos is simply huge.
I only just made it to the second area. I've probably put 20 hours into it so far and I get the feeling the game has basically just begun. Checking my inventory to see what's opened up and there's just an insane amount of stuff to collect/unlock here, I can't imagine rushing through it!

Only complaints I really have going by Bailu is the following:
Music not being in every area. Even some lower ambient stuff like the FREE tracks from 1 would have been nice, just weird also to have certain tracks stop playing after 5pm for some weird reason (doesn't seem like a glitch as it happens without fail at the same time each day in certain areas)

SOme cutscenes having pretty weird cuts. The story itself is super interesting but sometimes a bit janky to watch.

QTEs are definitely a tad to fast, I've managed most fairly ok but some felt legit impossible on first try.

Side stories triggering at certain points in the story - I stayed two extra days in Bailu because it seemed that the stories triggered after a vital point which is basically at the end of the part, which was a bit weird (poor Shenhua was left waiting!)

General lack of NPCs in certain areas, lack of NPC idle animations - so Chobu's intro is cool but feels a bit barren at the moment. Which is weird as you get the feeling its a pretty fancy shopping area which should have Shenmue 2 levels of people here... Bailu is great the more you play because people have routines and certain places get busier at certain times, but for example - in the fields at Sunflower Grove, it'd be nice to have the NPCs (the workers) actually look like they are working (one is milking sometimes but that's it). Its a small complaint but it would help the game world feel a little more alive.

Oh, as for story complaints, I don't quite get the complaints (at least, for the first half). I mean, we got some further backstory on
Iwao training, though they are still not giving up just what went down, though I get the distinct idea that's because its a reveal by the Chi You Men at a later point in the series. But its really cool to reach the area where he trains, and meet the masters that trained with him and get these slithers of info.

Meanwhile the treasure/mirror plot has already moved forward in a significant way pointing you to Chobu, and like any good treasure hunt I can't imagine the game giving up the goods before the end to this game, it surely has to have a few more twists yet? As for what is going on with the whole history side of that, I can imagine only Shenhua's father really knows.

Granted I'm only around 50?% of the way through 3, so more twists are probably going to happen. Can't help but wonder what people expected? As a series its definitely a martial arts journey type game with revenge and a treasure hunt as the background. And seeing that the game is only 40% of the entire series plot, I imagine there would still be yet more to come in the future, so getting some huge game changing revelation yet seems unlikely? I mean, I've not finished the game so I don't know, but I've been super satisfied with how the plot has moved forward so far. There's one thing I won't know until I finish the game, but I'll post about that when I get through the second half.

Sumio Mondo

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
You could probably do Bailu in just 6-7 hours just sticking to the main plot if you continuously do the timeskip to Shenhua's house every time. The side quests and Shenhua's dialogue are two of the best parts of Bailu along with the way the NPCs reveal stuff about themselves during the questing as well if you keep talking to them all. That guy who is in love with Shenhua keeps asking Ryo where he is staying and Ryo unknowingly just tells him "I'm staying with Shenhua" and seeing his heart break in slow motion and getting angry with Ryo is just gold.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
You could probably do Bailu in just 6-7 hours just sticking to the main plot if you continuously do the timeskip to Shenhua's house every time. The side quests and Shenhua's dialogue are two of the best parts of Bailu along with the way the NPCs reveal stuff about themselves during the questing as well if you keep talking to them all. That guy who is in love with Shenhua keeps asking Ryo where he is staying and Ryo unknowingly just tells him "I'm staying with Shenhua" and seeing his heart break in slow motion and getting angry with Ryo is just gold.
That conversation cracked me up, so good! The fat Tai Chi master gets some amazing dialogue as well throughout the game, well worth speaking to him at every opportunity.

Kamek

Oct 27, 2017
Anyone encounter a consistent black screen glitch? Every time I get taken back to the hotel I'm getting hung up on a black screen that goes no where. Don't know what to do. My load triggers the event within seconds of loading.

This only happened to me after a lengthy QTE after meeting a certain character. If you go back to the hotel before 9, it should fix it.

Sumio Mondo

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
That conversation cracked me up, so good! The fat Tai Chi master gets some amazing dialogue as well throughout the game, well worth speaking to him at every opportunity.

Yeah he's another funny NPC and Wei Zhen (the girl in pink who practices martial arts) crushing really hard for Ryo as well. I also like the crazy old guy in the village as well who keeps saying "first a tree then a goat, I wonder what else the river brings". He's genuinely mad and always has something odd to say lol.

Augemitbutter

Oct 25, 2017
running into more qte now. They're like upper floor ghost hall building of Shenmue 2 level. Managed to hit a middle section of a qte perfectly, everything else was disaster. Some of these fails are funny though.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah he's another funny NPC and Wei Zhen (the girl in pink who practices martial arts) crushing really hard for Ryo as well. I also like the crazy old guy in the village as well who keeps saying "first a tree then a goat, I wonder what else the river brings". He's genuinely mad and always has something odd to say lol.
Yyeah, they all get great dialogue as well. Su I think it was gets some excellent dialogue as well in his side story. Tao gets some great dialogue as well. One thing I liked about the first part of the game is how you really did get to know these characters throughout the first few hours.

Oct 26, 2017
I bought Shenmue 3 on day one. It was 20 minutes til closing at GameStop and I was the first person to buy the game. :( The game hadn't even been unpacked yet from the shipment. But ironically the person behind me in line was planning to buy Shenmue as well. So at least a couple of copies were sold right before closing on launch day.

I just started playing the game in more depth the last few days during Thanksgiving and I've gotten hooked all over again. I'm still in the first area but I'm the type of person that likes to really get engrossed in the environment and atmosphere of games, so I've been taking my time, soaking everything in.

The game is a bit clunky compared to modern AAA games but in terms of drawing you into the world, it does a great job of doing more with less. Once you get past the rough edges, you get really immersed into the world if you don't try rush through everything.

Rapscallion

Oct 25, 2017
This only happened to me after a lengthy QTE after meeting a certain character. If you go back to the hotel before 9, it should fix it.
I think it might be the same event if you're talking about
Ren

basically fixed the issue by waiting the black screen out. The game was still going in the hotel, just without an image. Eventually the game automatically takes you to your bed even when you're in the hotel. It's been fine ever since.

Oct 25, 2017
Struggling to get through this bit where you need to make 2000 yuen for the alcohol. I have like 460, and 8000 tokens, but I really just want to move the story along without having to chop a billion wood or save-scum through the tokens stuff.

Kamek

Oct 27, 2017
I think it might be the same event if you're talking about
Ren

basically fixed the issue by waiting the black screen out. The game was still going in the hotel, just without an image. Eventually the game automatically takes you to your bed even when you're in the hotel. It's been fine ever since.

Was definitely the same event. It's the only time I encountered the glitch, but glad to see you found an alternative fix.

Descendant

Nov 2, 2017
Struggling to get through this bit where you need to make 2000 yuen for the alcohol. I have like 460, and 8000 tokens, but I really just want to move the story along without having to chop a billion wood or save-scum through the tokens stuff.

I recommend picking up and selling the herb sets, and you could also try the fishing side quest if you haven't done so already, this way you can naturally earn some money while completing a side quest. You could also use your tokens to buy items that could go for a decent price at the pawn shop as well.

batfax

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

This part seemed to be begging me to look into fishing. Not only is it good money, but
there should be a limited-time sidequest available there that encourages you to try a bunch of locations, with the (IMO) best jacket in the game as a reward.

AwesomeSauce

Oct 25, 2017

Fishing and collecting herbs. Don't sell all the herbs in Bailu though, the next area gives you more for them.

Deleted member 34881

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 30, 2017
Just save scum lucky hit and buy the purple gem with the tokens and buy a bunch then sell them to the dude, I had 15k in all of Bailu. Also just bought 200 worth of Black Garlic so I didnt have to worry about energy as much either.