• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Kamek

Oct 27, 2017
After beating this masterpiece in sinulation, going from this lively, lived-in world to the other game I picked up, Death Stranding's desolate environments is extremely jarring.

Blayde

Oct 27, 2017
Kentucky
Any word on sales for this yet? I just finished it, absolutely loved it. Its definitley a game made specifically for fans, i really hope it does well enough that they don't have much issue green lighting shenmue 4.

benzy

Oct 25, 2017
Did you guys collect all of the move scrolls at the pawn shop in Bailu before moving to the second city or do those also show up in second city?

Pharaoh

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 27, 2017
Just finished it. Got mixed feelings on it, but I'm just really, really happy it exists. I hope Yu Suzuki can secure funding to make IV but if it comes down to KS I'll be there to help again.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Struggling to get through this bit where you need to make 2000 yuen for the alcohol. I have like 460, and 8000 tokens, but I really just want to move the story along without having to chop a billion wood or save-scum through the tokens stuff.
Turtle racing (winning just twice in a row) is an ultra easy way to get credit to convert into money. I'd been doing gambling, wood chopping, fishing (assuming that was unlocked at that point) and had something like 5000 at that point. It didn't even really take grinding, just a turtle race or two every in game day and I had enough in no time.

DOTDASHDOT

Helios Abandoned. Atropos Conquered.
Oct 26, 2017
Best tip for big money is x25 Lucky hit, have around 20K in tokens, save at the stall and keep maxing the 2000 limit, I had 100K tokens within 30 minutes without save and reload spamming.

Virtua Sanus

Nov 24, 2017
Finished the game a few hours ago. I am outrageously happy with how the game turned out.

There is a lot I want to say, but I am kind of too tired for that right now. I wish the overall story progressed further than it did, but I understand how the scale of the game changed a few times during development and appreciated what was done to contain the feeling of the franchise.

I will say that the combat grew more and more on me as the game progressed, but once I realized that it is entirely designed around how much you train and has ultimately very little to do with your skill as a player it was no longer annoying to work with at all. I do not agree with that structure though and if we get Shenmue IV I am hoping it is the only thing they outright change. Beyond that I am truly overwhelmed by how much joy I had from playing this game.

Oct 25, 2017
Finally sunk my teeth into this game over the thanksgiving weekend, slightly nervous.

It goes above and beyond what I expected. How the fuck did Yu Suzuki make an honest to god Shenmue title on that budget. I'm still just 8 hours into Bailu Village and I'm just blown away. The game looks stunning, all the NPCs unique, and all the Shenmue-isms are there, just like the old days.

The stamina system irks me, but other than that this game is a treasure. So glad all the worry over this game being "shit" was overblown nonsense. And I hope those who cancelled their preorders eventually come around in a year and play it on Steam so they can appreciate it too.

I miss these slow burn games so much. I haven't felt the "addiction pang" in my gut to keep playing in a long time.

Augemitbutter

Oct 25, 2017
Struggling to get through this bit where you need to make 2000 yuen for the alcohol. I have like 460, and 8000 tokens, but I really just want to move the story along without having to chop a billion wood or save-scum through the tokens stuff.
look for some herbs each time you see a patch of grass and you'll never run into money problems.

Romain

Senior Editor, Gameblog
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Have any of you guys managed to get the herb-related trophies? I swear I've gone all over the place and the trophies didn't pop up in either Bailu or Niaowu.

Mugen

Oct 28, 2017
Stockholm, Sweden
I also finished the game yesterday, as I wrote in the spoilers thread. Overall it was living up to and maybe even went a bit above my expectations. Happy to see that most here seem to enjoy it as well. There are surely weak parts though. I really miss the throws, VF-like inputs and feel that scrolls are overall devaluated into a rather dull commodity. I think most fans remembers that e.g. "Twin Blades" is found hidden in the Hazuki residence, you get to know "Pit Blow" from Fuku-san, "Demon's trangle" is handed over by Xiuying, and the moves themselves visually and sometimes mechanically changes with proficency. It all sadly goes hand-in-hand, although it is partially compensated by the training systems in III that I happily maxed out on all levels and variations.

Mengy

Oct 25, 2017
Last year SHENMUE 1+2 sold 37529 units in the first week.
This year SHENMUE3 only sold 17857 retail units + 4457 kickstarter units =22314 units.

In UK SHENMUE3 first week drops 50% compared with SHENMUE 1+2.

I am very surprised how SHENMUE3 sold significantly worse than SHENMUE 1+2. How could it possible?????

A lot of Shenmue fans are probably waiting for the Steam release next year like I am. A lot of people who bought the 1+2 release on day one but didn't have the chance to buy 3 day one on the platform of their choice. Hate to say it, but the whole exclusivity fiasco has undoubtedly hurt sales on the PC end tremendously.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Whack a Mole mini game is surprisingly great.
All the mini games so far I've played has been great, but this one is awesome for sure. Very addictive and fast paced, I also really enjoy Highway Star as well. I quite like how fast paced QTE Challenge 3 is as well, but QTE Title is a bastard at points due to the fakeouts and short timespan for the QTE inputs.

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
Golden Goose, one of the lucky hit stands pays out 60,000 on max bets. I made some bank on that.
Yeah it's not that bad if you bet on it, with the 3 pairs of 16000 (maybe from roll on top) and you don't have to reload it that many times before you get the 60000. They made gambling harder on this one than 2, but thank fuck they didn't take manual saves away like many modern games.

Oct 25, 2017
look for some herbs each time you see a patch of grass and you'll never run into money problems.

Man, a lot of people replied to me with ways to make money, so appreciation goes out to each of ya.

I would say, though, that it's not so much an issue of methods for making money, per se, it's more to do with... I'm lazy and I don't particularly want to make money. Also, thanks to not realizing that this was going to be a thing, I passed up a lot of opportunities to make money early in the game. Spending most of my excess money on healing items, and not particularly worrying about odds and ends enough to pick up extra scratch.

So now, yeah, I've found myself in an uncomfortable position where even if I do the standard approaches to making money to get this liquor, I'll be spending an hour or so grinding it out. Which, I know I can do, and it's just laziness holding me back, but it does feel kinda bad to have a quest like this. And, I realize this is a very "Shenmue" thing to do, because it forces you to interact with the world a bit more, but the interactions in Shenmue 3 aren't quite working for me in the same way they did or would in Shenmue 1 and 2. There's a lot of reasons for that, and I don't want to go into those too much, but I feel less than compelled to push through this right now. I would have liked the price for the item to be closer to 500 yuan, as that seems more reasonable.

Oh well. I'll get to it eventually, and certainly moving forward I'll be taking advantage of advice given here, so thanks again for that.

Augemitbutter

Oct 25, 2017
i wonder how many of these thug bosses were planned for the original release and if they have concept art from the early days.

AwesomeSauce

Oct 25, 2017
No EZA stream today. Audio issues

These guys need someone dedicated to studio/tech stuff. Cause that's ridiculous.

I was waiting on Huber's stream and since it didn't happen, i just skimmed through Maximillian's last shenmue stream. Some funny moments in there lol.

edit- looks like Huber's stream is up, just 2 hours later.

Last edited:

ragolliangatan

▲ Legend ▲
Aug 31, 2019
Shenmue III isn't in the UK Top 40 for last week: https://www.gamesindustry.biz/artic...-is-no-4-as-black-friday-transforms-uk-charts

I'm surprised to see that in a world where unique games and purely Japanese titles get recognition, Shenmue III is so misunderstood.

It sucks but it was kinda expected given Black Friday sales, releasing in late November was a poor decision.

Overall Shenmue 3 has exceeded my expectations in terms of what YsNet has achieved in terms of game quality.

marcbret87

Apr 20, 2018
I am already a few hours in but still in Bailu. Overall I am loving this more and more. I really enjoy the slow pace, training a bit, talking to Shenhua in the evenings, slowly uncovering things... Also, it's interesting to see that the game systems are connected in a better way than previous games, at least from what I remember. I thought the stamina was a pain in the ass, but to be fair if you look for herbs here and there you already have more than enough money to buy food so that it doesn't become an issue.

Also, I honestly think the game looks really good in terms of graphics. Yeah, some NPCs look a bit dodgy or more anime-like, but the scenery is just beautiful.

Sumio Mondo

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
Shenmue III isn't in the UK Top 40 for last week: https://www.gamesindustry.biz/artic...-is-no-4-as-black-friday-transforms-uk-charts

I'm surprised to see that in a world where unique games and purely Japanese titles get recognition, Shenmue III is so misunderstood.
The original release date in August was a better time for them. November was the worst month to release the game alongside the likes of Star Wars and Death Stranding as well as all the Black Friday sales. At least the HD Collection seems to be selling better now because of sales.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
The original release date in August was a better time for them. November was the worst month to release the game alongside the likes of Star Wars and Death Stranding as well as all the Black Friday sales. At least the HD Collection seems to be selling better now because of sales.
Yup. I know people said that Shenmue is a different game compared to those you listed, but still launching around those games and other consoles big releases of Pokemon probably didn't do them any good.

That said, in terms of dropping out of the UK chart so quick, I mean stuff like Persona 5 and any Yakuza does the exact same as well, so who knows if that's actually as bad as it sounds. I'd love a fourth Shenmue game, but am still skeptical that it'll happen...

Sumio Mondo

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
Yup. I know people said that Shenmue is a different game compared to those you listed, but still launching around those games and other consoles big releases of Pokemon probably didn't do them any good.

That said, in terms of dropping out of the UK chart so quick, I mean stuff like Persona 5 and any Yakuza does the exact same as well, so who knows if that's actually as bad as it sounds. I'd love a fourth Shenmue game, but am still skeptical that it'll happen...
My hope is that the good sales of the HD Collection convinces SEGA to get involved with 4 since the sales of just 3 alone wouldn't justify it. Still, we shall have to see how it's sold in the rest of the world before being sure what will happen.

We have to also realise that digital sales and the sales from Epic aren't disclosed or accounted for..

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Honestly loving this game even more than I expected to and I was already a fan of the series.

One thing that's been really nice, is just slowing down, basking in the environment, going fishing, training, chatting with folks, picking herbs, etc. Not feeling any need to hustle through the game, instead just enjoying the little details.
It's unfortunate that I find it hard to do this in older games. I came to Shenmue I & 2 in 2015 or so. I loved them but I was very completion oriented, as that's the mindset I enter a lot of my backlog with. But with Shenmue 3, it's just been lovely to have no feelings of urgency and to really get invested in the world.
I feel like I'm closer to capturing the feelings I would have had if I played Shenmue 1 at launch. Very envious of those who got that experience.

Also, lmao @ the rock paper scissors faces.

Last edited:

CyrilFiggis

Nov 3, 2017
Pennsylvania
Picked this up on Black Friday and am pumped to get going. What's all this about the food/stamina system being bad? Both folks in here and most of the reviews I read/watched mentioned it being a chore. I wonder if there is a chance they will patch this to make it less of an issue.

Clive

Oct 25, 2017
Picked this up on Black Friday and am pumped to get going. What's all this about the food/stamina system being bad? Both folks in here and most of the reviews I read/watched mentioned it being a chore. I wonder if there is a chance they will patch this to make it less of an issue.
Your life bar constantly drains when doing any activity, including walking, so you have to buy food and eat it when your health starts to get low. I found it a bit of a chore initially but if you do a bit of exercice every day your HP will go up and it will be less and less of an issue. Food also costs a bit of money and money can be hard to come across early on in the game. It's pretty easy to predict when there will be a fight so make sure to eat before those or you might start with half a life bar. I thought it was a minor inconvenience at worst and not a big deal but it didn't add anything to the game ether so I wouldn't mind them skipping it if we get Shenmue IV.

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
Food is really cheap and you can buy bulks of pineapples or whatever, the worst thing about it is Ryo reminding you when you run out of food. I would have preffered if they get rid of it if they do Shenmue 4 though and maybe food just changes how fast you can level up moves, and something more subtle.

Romain

Senior Editor, Gameblog
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
I think a lot of people don't get what Yu Suzuki was trying to do with Shenmue III's stamina system. It's part of his quest for realism and I wouldn't be surprised if it was something that he already wanted to add back in the Dreamcast games.

Ryo isn't in the best of shape at first and he must eat to keep going. But he has no money so he has to work. And in order to get better and have more stamina, he has to train regularly. Yu Suzuki probably wanted to get players to eat and work everyday. And once you level-up your stamina enough, you only have to eat once every day.

Augemitbutter

Oct 25, 2017
how many games do i need to find for the high score trophy? I think i played all arcade machines so it must be something else.

Oct 25, 2017
Man, the big fight with the
3 thugs
was rough. I needed to buy 2 heals to use during it, and that cleaned me out money wise (especially since I just dropped 2000 on that alcohol). I don't think I quite understand how the combat works if I have to heal that much. Is there a dodge button?

Sappharad

Oct 25, 2017
Man, the big fight with the
3 thugs
was rough. I needed to buy 2 heals to use during it, and that cleaned me out money wise (especially since I just dropped 2000 on that alcohol). I don't think I quite understand how the combat works if I have to heal that much. Is there a dodge button?
L2 guards. To dodge you just tap left or right on the analog stick to move to the side.

If you haven't been doing so, the little training minigames raise your endurance stat, which increases your max health. It only takes roughly 3 rounds of each to go up a level. Sparring to level up your unmastered moves also increases your Attack stat, which will cause your hits to do more damage. Even if you're only around Level 10 in each that fight should be fairly easy.

I went through the entire game without ever needing in-battle heals, (aside from the optional battle area later in the game where you fight to earn money) but I had been leveling up my stats a bit during each in-game day before continuing with the story.

Mugen

Oct 28, 2017
Stockholm, Sweden
I think a lot of people don't get what Yu Suzuki was trying to do with Shenmue III's stamina system. It's part of his quest for realism and I wouldn't be surprised if it was something that he already wanted to add back in the Dreamcast games.

Ryo isn't in the best of shape at first and he must eat to keep going. But he has no money so he has to work. And in order to get better and have more stamina, he has to train regularly. Yu Suzuki probably wanted to get players to eat and work everyday. And once you level-up your stamina enough, you only have to eat once every day.
Eating 4 garlics and 10 apples isn't exactly realistic. Also one could assume he eats breakfast in the morning and dinner in the evening where he resides. Realistically he would have lunch plus maybe two snacks/fruits for the rest of the day.

Romain

Senior Editor, Gameblog
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Eating 4 garlics and 10 apples isn't exactly realistic. Also one could assume he eats breakfast in the morning and dinner in the evening where he resides. Realistically he would have lunch plus maybe two snacks/fruits for the rest of the day.
But it's more realistic than not eating at all for days on end. You get what I meant.

Romain

Senior Editor, Gameblog
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
I didn't have a problem with the stamina system so I don't mind if it stays. I like that Yu Suzuki always stays true to his vision.