• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
I wasn't talking about the graphics.....it's purely the game i am talking about. Was wondering if it just me or that other people feel the same way and perhaps can explain a bit more why they don't like it or do like it. Because right now i'm a bit stumbled why i don't like it.
I was talking about the game, dallying in the world and following characters about was the best part of the gameplay for me. Even if 4 has some areas for improvement with combat and building up the antagonists/secondary characters in the main plot. I also liked you can interact with all shops now and I enjoyed the new system how you level up moves in sparring.

Deleted member 10747

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, I kind of agree with him on that too, but I'm not as forgiving, lol. I'd definitely recommend watching his playthrough, but just fair warning, it is pretty long though.
I am okay with that. I just don't feel like i want to play the game. Watching someone else is perhaps the way to go.....sounds very strange and not gamey at all!
I was talking about the game, dallying in the world and following characters about was the best part of the gameplay for me. Even if 4 has some areas for improvement with combat and building up the antagonists/secondary characters in the main plot. I also liked you can interact with all shops now and I enjoyed the new system how you level up moves in sparring.
Thank you for your input. Everything you say was kind of okay and am okay with. Of course because i have been waiting this long for a sequel. It's just like, do you know the feeling that something just doesn't fit, is out of order and you look around and you can't put your finger on it? As time goes on that lingering thought is now throbbing in your head and you are starting annoy yourself? For me as time went on i started to really not enjoy myself.

The thing is, i still am thinking of the game but just don't want to play it. Wondering what's wrong me and why i am not liking it.
Funnily enough Shenmue 1 and 3 aren't very "gamey" so much messing about, but that's part of the appeal to me. 2 probably is the most gamey and like a blockbuster.
Lol i was talking about watching someone else play the game instead of myself.

Last edited:

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
I am okay with that. I just don't feel like i want to play the game. Watching someone else is perhaps the way to go.....sounds very strange and not gamey at all!
Funnily enough Shenmue 1 and 3 aren't very "gamey" so much messing about, but that's part of the appeal to me. 2 probably is the most gamey and like a blockbuster.

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017

Thank you for your input. Everything you say was kind of okay and am okay with. Of course because i have been waiting this long for a sequel. It's just like, do you know the feeling that something just doesn't fit, is out of order and you look around and you can't put your finger on it? As time goes on that lingering thought is now throbbing in your head and you are starting annoy yourself? For me as time went on i started to really not enjoy myself.

The thing is, i still am thinking of the game but just don't want to play it. Wondering what's wrong me and why i am not liking it.

Lol i was talking about watching someone else play the game instead of myself.
Honestly I went in with low expectations because of kickstarter and because the legacy of Shenmue 2, about 20 years ago. It was never going to live up to to that, but I got a charming and amusing game and hope they can wrap up the saga with 4.

Desmond

Oct 25, 2017
I've only just now (embarrassingly so) unwrapped my japanese version of 3 to play. Just want to know if there is an in game day I have to finish the story by or can I take my time?

Also, I presume the DLC is region locked? Despite the fact the japanese release seems to have no change to the western one.

Sumio Mondo

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
I've only just now (embarrassingly so) unwrapped my japanese version of 3 to play. Just want to know if there is an in game day I have to finish the story by or can I take my time?

Also, I presume the DLC is region locked? Despite the fact the japanese release seems to have no change to the western one.

The in-game day for the supposed bad ending is so far off into the distance you don't even need to consider it.
July 31st

I'd assume the DLC will be region locked yeah, they sent out codes to which version you picked on the Kickstarter (which region).

indask8

Oct 28, 2017

Take your time, you really have to mess around a lot to trigger the bad ending.

And you get a warning one month prior

Sumio Mondo

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
Also other things I've considered about this game:

Why is there no time skip like in 2? They let you teleport back to Shenhua's House in Bailu Village but in Niaowu you have to run all the way back to the hotel...why?

Why did they take out the classic drinking animation? And why can't we eat at any of the restaurants instead of collect cheap garlics (giving Ryo bad breath...no wonder Shenhua stays away from him in Niaowu lol)?

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
Take your time, you really have to mess around a lot to trigger the bad ending.

And you get a warning one month prior
For all the flaws, I love that they got some of the details right, like a bad ending and the tomato store music playing as you walk in a store.
Also other things I've considered about this game:

Why is there no time skip like in 2? They let you teleport back to Shenhua's House in Bailu Village but in Niaowu you have to run all the way back to the hotel...why?

Why did they take out the classic drinking animation? And why can't we eat at any of the restaurants instead of collect cheap garlics (giving Ryo bad breath...no wonder Shenhua stays away from him in Niaowu lol)?
I think it's because Shenmue 3 focuses on the relationship with Shenhua, more than the greater story and they make you go back to the house, to catch up with Shenhua, instead of just skipping. Shenhua also keeps putting the banana out lol, in weird Shenmue charm.

Sumio Mondo

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
For all the flaws, I love that they got some of the details right, like a bad ending and the tomato store music playing as you walk in a store.

I think it's because Shenmue 3 focuses on the relationship with Shenhua, more than the greater story and they make you go back to the house, to catch up with Shenhua, instead of just skipping. Shenhua also keeps putting the banana out lol, in weird Shenmue charm.

But you hardly see Shenhua in Niaowu though (and when you do it's just the same dialogue patterns over and over, the dialogues in Bailu Village with her were way better).
I meant more like why couldn't let you teleport back to the hotel like they did in Bailu back to Shenhua's House?

ket

Jul 27, 2018
ren and ryo had better chemistry than ryo and shenhua imo. the latter's relationship seemed so bland and generic anime stuff.

Descendant

Nov 2, 2017
ren and ryo had better chemistry than ryo and shenhua imo. the latter's relationship seemed so bland and generic anime stuff.

I thought the Ryo and Shenhua relationship was the best part of the game. Shenhua actually got Ryo to open up about himself, something no one has been able to do throughout his journey so far.

Ryo and Ren's chemistry was fantastic, but they already had an established bond building since Shenmue II. I liked both, and wish there was a bit more moments with them by the end of the game.

Bioshocker

Oct 28, 2017
Sweden
How much do you think the two fully voice acted cost the project? The script is massive from what I could tell. Think of all the completely useless stuff they had to record. I get it's Shenmue and that's part of the Shenmue immersion, but those were also features that were mind blowing in 1999/2000 and not so mind-blowing now. Are they NECESSARY to move a modern Shenmue ahead? Unique morning cutscenes with Shenhua and the innkeeper would've been more enjoyable than the endless "Enjoy my spring rolls, cutie!" type dialogue we got--even if those cutscenes were text only as suggested. I dunno how Ys net could possibly please every Shenmue fan, but I think a great story would've made up for a lack of immersion.

I'm so with you on this. They (Yu Suzuki) focused on the wrong things. With such a limited budget it was weird to see them do all those minigames and a freakin' Save Shenmue temple. To me it seemed obvious they ran out of time and money at the end with that rushed and pretty weird ending. I would've preferred more story and less Shenmue immersion. As a backer I'm delighted we got Shenmue III after so many years, but even with that budget I think they could've done things in a different and better way.

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
I thought the Ryo and Shenhua relationship was the best part of the game. Shenhua actually got Ryo to open up about himself, something no one has been able to do throughout his journey so far.

Ryo and Ren's chemistry was fantastic, but they already had an established bond building since Shenmue II. I liked both, and wish there was a bit more moments with them by the end of the game.
Yeah that's why I'm ok with 3 not being the conclusion, you just met Shenhua and needed to cement their bond. 4 I think should wrap it up though. They'll just have to make Lan Di's climax more of an emotional one.

Jingo

Banned
Dec 10, 2017
Actually i found ryo and ren reencounter very cold, it almost seemed like they didnt know each other.

Sumio Mondo

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
Ryo and Ren's "relationship" was pretty barren in 3. He's just a wandering NPC essentially when originally we were going to play as him. They dropped the ball hard with Ren in 3.

Oct 30, 2017
*gulp*

ABG Sundal Collier - Commissioned research

ABG Sundal Collier commissioned research är en av Sveriges ledande tjänster för IR med fokus på mindre börsnoterade bolag

Estimate revisions due to FF VII, Shenmue III & Biomutant We lower our revenue estimate for Deep Silver from SEK 625m to SEK 550m in Q3'19/20e, mainly due to Shenmue III performing below our expectations. Furthermore, as no official release date has been announced for Biomutant, we have pencilled in a release in the next financial year instead of Q4'19/20e Shenmue III Shenmue III was released on 19 November 2019 on PlayStation 4 and the Epic Games Store. The game gathered mixed reviews amongst critics, with an averageMetacritic score of 69 on PC and 68 on PlayStation 4.

However, it's our view that actual fans of the series were very pleased with the game. In terms of sales, we're currently not able to track sales generated on the EpicGames Store, however we note that Shenmue III did claim a spot on the Top 20 Sellers list for several weeks.

Additionally, Embracer will have received a fee for making the game exclusive to the Epic Games Store. In terms of sales on the PlayStation 4, estimates seem to suggest that the game has gatheredapproximately 50k players in Q3'19/20e4. Ultimately, Shenmue III sales seem to have performed below our estimates, which is the reason for us lowering our revenue estimates for the Deep Silver segment.

In any case, THQ Nordic/Embrace is doing their presentation next Wednesday.

MON, FEB 10, 2020 12:29 CET
Embracer Group hereby invites you to a presentation in connection with the publishing of the third quarterly report for the financial year, Oct-Dec 2019. The report will be published at 06.00 (CET) on February 19th.
The presentation will be held in English by CEO Lars Wingefors and afterwards questions are invited.
Date: February 19, 2019
Time: 09:00-10:00 (CET)
Place: Carnegie Hall, Regeringsgatan 56, Stockholm or via webcast and teleconference.
Please register for participation in person at Carnegie Hall: https://financialhearings.com/event/11779
Questions are welcome in advance by e-mail to: [email protected]
Link to webcast: https://tv.streamfabriken.com/embracer-group-q3-2019
Teleconference dial-in number SE: +46850558355, UK +443333009268, US: +18338230590
Please dial in a few minutes before the presentation begins. To participate, please state your first, last and company name. For questions during Q&A press 01.
For additional information, please contact:
Lars Wingefors, Co-Founder and Group-CEO
Tel: +46 708 471 978
E-mail: [email protected]
About Embracer Group
Embracer Group is the parent company of businesses developing and publishing PC and console games for the global games market.
The group has an extensive catalogue of over 130 owned franchises, such as Saints Row, Goat Simulator, Dead Island, Darksiders, Metro, MX vs ATV, Kingdoms of Amalur, TimeSplitters, Satisfactory and Wreckfest amongst many others.
With its head office based in Karlstad, Sweden, Embracer Group has a global presence through its three operative groups: Koch Media GmbH, THQ Nordic GmbH, and Coffee Stain AB. The group has nineteen internal game development studios and are engaging more than 3000 employees and contracted employers in more than 40 countries. Embracer Group AB was renamed during 2019, formerly known as THQ Nordic AB.
Embracer Group's shares are publicly listed on Nasdaq First North Stockholm under the ticker EMBRAC B with FNCA Sweden AB as its Certified Adviser; [email protected] +46-8-528 00 399.
For more information, please visit: http://www.embracer.com

Link to stream: https://tv.streamfabriken.com/embracer-group-q3-2019

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Gotta wonder what kind of expectations they would have had, because its not as if I expected it to do super well at retail.

Oct 30, 2017
I just noticed that forecast relied on Gamstat for the "50,000" figure. I am really not confident Gamstat is an accurate gauge of how many people purchased a game. Someone who is more knowledgable may be able to correct my assumption. I am not expecting a miracle anyway.

SpitztheGreat

May 16, 2019
Again, it is a pipe dream to think that we can hold out for a Shenmue V, the choices are either a) finish it with IV or b) bust.

Even getting Shenmue IV seems like a stretch. Never say never after Shenmue III, but Yu needs to be realistic. As much as we all wanted Shenmue III, I think it would have been easier letting the series goes after II than after III. Now that I've played S3 I feel like there is an expectation of "Ok, you brought this back from the dead, you better be able to finish it."

AllMight1

Oct 27, 2017
I just noticed that forecast relied on Gamstat for the "50,000" figure. I am really not confident Gamstat is an accurate gauge of how many people purchased a game. Someone who is more knowledgable may be able to correct my assumption. I am not expecting a miracle anyway.

Probably sold around 200k-250k worldwide both digital and physical.
Which is fine for a low budget video game. Especially for Shenmue 3 since it had the backing of Kickstarter, every copy sold was profit for devs and publisher.

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
ESPECIALLY since they didn't bother to actually resolve anything after 18 years.
I can see what he was trying to do, focus on Shenhua's relationship and keep the stakes low. However I think the antagonists should have been more developed.

If they do Shenmue 4, have some elders and chi you leaders explain how the backstory for Zunming and Iwao falling out over the mirrors and how that connects to Yuandha Zhu, find out whether Shenhua is the secret descendant of the emperor or whatever, whether she's accept her destiny for the mirrors or destroy them, have the treasure backfire on the chi you men like Raiders of the Lost Ark and have Lan Di as a wild card who may see reason about how his father actually died and why the mirror hunt is futile.

Mindman

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I want to continue playing this game, I waited 18 years blah blah, but the thought of the upcoming "moneygates" in the game really depresses me. ;(

AllMight1

Oct 27, 2017
I want to continue playing this game, I waited 18 years blah blah, but the thought of the upcoming "moneygates" in the game really depresses me. ;(

For the second money gate, which is big, I already had the money with me.

Honestly Lol. If playing the actual game is so much of a bother to you, then just watch the story on youtube, all 2 hours of cinematics.

dedge

Sep 15, 2019
For the second money gate, which is big, I already had the money with me.

Honestly Lol. If playing the actual game is so much of a bother to you, then just watch the story on youtube, all 2 hours of cinematics.
Yeah I didn't see this as a problem I sold a few things and was good to continue almost immediately.

SpitztheGreat

May 16, 2019
Yeah I'll give them a break on the money thing, if you're actually engaging with the world I don't see how you can have so much trouble with making money. Some grinding is required, but isn't that what a lot of people here wanted? I wonder if some players are just really bad and spend their money on all kids of useless shit.

Oct 30, 2017
Pick every herb you see and you should have no trouble having a few thousand on hand at all times. Then just walk into any shop you can find and buy one of every item, sell at pawn shop. That's how I got through it.

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
I think you're meant to feel like you're living in that world and must provide for yourself. Shenmue series isn't a straight forward A to B action adventure, the first game showed how small time Ryo and really struggles to get any kind of leads, constantly swindled and knocked down by small time crooks, and eventually becoming a forklift driver, hoping he'll find something out from people on the docks. Shenmue 3 still has this realistic feeling of really struggling to get into places.

I think they should have toned the money requirements down however.

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not surprised by the game underperforming. While I didn't expect the game to set charts on fire since the begining, Deep Silver took every right decisions to make sure it doesn't happen. And considering the game didn't deliver in term of quality...

Oct 30, 2017
That is a tentative forecast. I'd wait until the 19th for the final word from Embracer (formerly THQ Nordic) on how Shenmue 3 did. Like I said, they are basing the 50K on Gamstat, which doesn't seem like it is necessarily an accurate source for sales data.

MON, FEB 10, 2020 12:29 CET
Embracer Group hereby invites you to a presentation in connection with the publishing of the third quarterly report for the financial year, Oct-Dec 2019. The report will be published at 06.00 (CET) on February 19th.
The presentation will be held in English by CEO Lars Wingefors and afterwards questions are invited.
Date: February 19, 2019
Time: 09:00-10:00 (CET)
Place: Carnegie Hall, Regeringsgatan 56, Stockholm or via webcast and teleconference.
Please register for participation in person at Carnegie Hall: https://financialhearings.com/event/11779
Questions are welcome in advance by e-mail to: [email protected]
Link to webcast: https://tv.streamfabriken.com/embracer-group-q3-2019
Teleconference dial-in number SE: +46850558355, UK +443333009268, US: +18338230590
Please dial in a few minutes before the presentation begins. To participate, please state your first, last and company name. For questions during Q&A press 01.
For additional information, please contact:
Lars Wingefors, Co-Founder and Group-CEO
Tel: +46 708 471 978
E-mail: [email protected]
About Embracer Group
Embracer Group is the parent company of businesses developing and publishing PC and console games for the global games market.
The group has an extensive catalogue of over 130 owned franchises, such as Saints Row, Goat Simulator, Dead Island, Darksiders, Metro, MX vs ATV, Kingdoms of Amalur, TimeSplitters, Satisfactory and Wreckfest amongst many others.
With its head office based in Karlstad, Sweden, Embracer Group has a global presence through its three operative groups: Koch Media GmbH, THQ Nordic GmbH, and Coffee Stain AB. The group has nineteen internal game development studios and are engaging more than 3000 employees and contracted employers in more than 40 countries. Embracer Group AB was renamed during 2019, formerly known as THQ Nordic AB.
Embracer Group's shares are publicly listed on Nasdaq First North Stockholm under the ticker EMBRAC B with FNCA Sweden AB as its Certified Adviser; [email protected] +46-8-528 00 399.
For more information, please visit: http://www.embracer.com
Click to shrink...
Link to stream: https://tv.streamfabriken.com/embracer-group-q3-2019

Def. seems like expectations should be set pretty low, however.

AllMight1

Oct 27, 2017
Sad to read that it performed below expectations, but not remotely surprised.

Once again I find myself worried for the future of Shenmue.

Don't be, they're most likely already working for Shenmue 4 as we speak with all the resources from 3.

I'm worried however for a Shenmue 5 if the story doesnt end in 4.
But knowing Yu, if he's being realistic (and he knows sour reality) he'll finish the story in 4 if he knows he wont be able to work on 5.
So if he doesnt end it in 4, most likely because they'll fund 5 for him too.

Descendant

Nov 2, 2017
I mean...it would be nice if Sega starts helping out their own franchise. Maybe with sales and stuff down the line Shenmue III could see a bit more sales in the future.

Oct 30, 2017
I don't see any situation where Sega takes renewed interest in Shenmue. Sales needed to be very strong. So far, it appears the Shenmue 1/2 ports sold better than Shenmue 3 and those ports didn't sell terribly well.

Linkura

Oct 25, 2017

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017
Don't be, they're most likely already working for Shenmue 4 as we speak with all the resources from 3.

I'm worried however for a Shenmue 5 if the story doesnt end in 4.
But knowing Yu, if he's being realistic (and he knows sour reality) he'll finish the story in 4 if he knows he wont be able to work on 5.
So if he doesnt end it in 4, most likely because they'll fund 5 for him too.

I dont see how Shenmue IV could be a conclusion considering Shenmue III does veryyyyyyyy little in term of story or even character developpement. If Shenmue 3 didnt feel like a filler episode, maybe. But in that case, I think it wont end until 5... Maybe 6.

If Yu has to go back to Kickstarter to get the funding then he's going to need to show a lot. In hindsight the E3 announcement from 2014 was pretty lackluster. This time he's going to come out guns blazing if he has any hope of getting people's attention again.

The problem is the following though:
- Shenmue III is a sequel that happened 18 years ago, the sequel of one of the best games ever made. A game that was wanted by people even if they didnt play any games. Just for the sake of being Shenmue 3.
- Shenmue IV would be the sequel of an average game that even among fans had some disappointment.

Because of that, only die hard fans will fund a Shenmue IV. And considering how bad the S3 KS was conducted through various BS (especially fucking up PC backers), that's even less reasons to fund the game.

Shenmue III was a game difficult to bring to life. The problem is, it's like involved partners made sure to fuck up Shenmue IV.

AllMight1

Oct 27, 2017
I dont see how Shenmue IV could be a conclusion considering Shenmue III does veryyyyyyyy little in term of story or even character developpement. If Shenmue 3 didnt feel like a filler episode, maybe. But in that case, I think it wont end until 5... Maybe 6.

The problem is the following though:
- Shenmue III is a sequel that happened 18 years ago, the sequel of one of the best games ever made. A game that was wanted by people even if they didnt play any games. Just for the sake of being Shenmue 3.
- Shenmue IV would be the sequel of an average game that even among fans had some disappointment.

Because of that, only die hard fans will fund a Shenmue IV. And considering how bad the S3 KS was conducted through various BS (especially fucking up PC backers), that's even less reasons to fund the game.

Shenmue III was a game difficult to bring to life. The problem is, it's like involved partners made sure to fuck up Shenmue IV.

I literally said the same thing a few weeks ago, how Shenmue didnt advance anything at all story wise in 3, and that if it ended on 4, it would be a very rushed story.

But my money is Shenmue ending on 5.

But even still, IF they're doing Yu Suzuki a solid favor and funding S4 for him, he needs to really hit it out of the park with 4 and make it a hit, because i can't see how they'll fund more games after that for him if it sells as badly as 3.

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017
I literally said the same thing a few weeks ago, how Shenmue didnt advance anything at all story wise in 3, and that if it ended on 4, it would be a very rushed story.

But my money is Shenmue ending on 5.

But even still, IF they're doing Yu Suzuki a solid favor and funding S4 for him, he needs to really hit it out of the park with 4 and make it a hit, because i can't see how they'll fund more games after that for him if it sells as badly as 3.

That's the snake biting his tail. Lack of funding means an average game. An average game means less sales. Less sales means lack of funding.

The problem of Shenmue III wasn't only a lack of much stort progression. I actually think it did some progression. The problem is what it tells and how it tells it. I fear that Shenmue IV will not only have to make the story progress but also fix the mess that was Shenmue III in term of story and character developpement. After Shenmue III it just feels like "stuff happened".

But yeah... It'll be complicated. Really complicated. Although after Shenmue III's ending, I dont feel as excited as I was after 2 to know what happens next. Shenmue III's ending being so lukewarm is a blessing in disguise imo. If Shenmue IV were to never happen (I hope not) well... Ending on 3 is fine.

Mugen

Oct 28, 2017
Stockholm, Sweden
Although after Shenmue III's ending, I dont feel as excited as I was after 2 to know what happens next. Shenmue III's ending being so lukewarm is a blessing in disguise imo. If Shenmue IV were to never happen (I hope not) well... Ending on 3 is fine.
Yeah this for sure. Got out of the cave after 18 years, with borderline unrealistic expectations. Even if I hoped for more I had a good extended experience with Shenmue III. Hope they still put the game on Steam and that it may gain some legs there.

AllMight1

Oct 27, 2017
That's the snake biting his tail. Lack of funding means an average game. An average game means less sales. Less sales means lack of funding.

The problem of Shenmue III wasn't only a lack of much stort progression. I actually think it did some progression. The problem is what it tells and how it tells it. I fear that Shenmue IV will not only have to make the story progress but also fix the mess that was Shenmue III in term of story and character developpement. After Shenmue III it just feels like "stuff happened".

But yeah... It'll be complicated. Really complicated. Although after Shenmue III's ending, I dont feel as excited as I was after 2 to know what happens next. Shenmue III's ending being so lukewarm is a blessing in disguise imo. If Shenmue IV were to never happen (I hope not) well... Ending on 3 is fine.

I dont know how I would feel about Shenmue ending in 3.

I never felt the urge for a sequel like many others did after 2.
For me it was different. Shenmue 2 hits the dot on many aspects for me (Characters,sense of discovery, friendship, lessons, progression for Ryo and combat) that I always thought "damn this is near perfect".

So Shenmue 3 was announced, and I wasn't expecting much, I was thinking "if the combat is decent that good enuff for me". And the combat is good enough, but there wasn't as many places to try it like in S2.

Finished Shenmue 3. Felt happy throughout the whole game, the whole 50 hours it took me to finish it. But now I do want a bit more.

Hopefully S4 does come out and they make combat a bit better :)

Oct 30, 2017
If Yu has to go back to Kickstarter to get the funding then he's going to need to show a lot. In hindsight the E3 announcement from 2014 was pretty lackluster. This time he's going to come out guns blazing if he has any hope of getting people's attention again.
I personally think another Kickstarter is a nonstarter at this point. Too many folks were burned by the Shenmue 3 Kickstarter. There's also gonna be way less hype for a sequel to a fairly new game compared to the hype we had for a sequel to an 18-year-old game. I'm not exactly sure what Ys Net could produce that would blow anyone away. It's not like they're going to stumble upon an even bigger pot of money to develop Shenmue IV, especially if this new forecast is anywhere close to the truth. I'd expect Shenmue IV to look and play a lot like Shenmue III if it ever does come out.

SpitztheGreat

May 16, 2019
I personally think another Kickstarter is a nonstarter at this point. Too many folks were burned by the Shenmue 3 Kickstarter. There's also gonna be way less hype for a sequel to a fairly new game compared to the hype we had for a sequel to an 18-year-old game. I'm not exactly sure what Ys Net could produce that would blow anyone away. It's not like they're going to stumble upon an even bigger pot of money to develop Shenmue IV, especially if this new forecast is anywhere close to the truth. I'd expect Shenmue IV to look and play a lot like Shenmue III if it ever does come out.
Another kickstarter is a last ditch effort when Suzuki realizes that he can't get Shenmue IV made any other way. And for the reasons you state, that's why he would need to come out swinging.

• Steam access on Day 1
  • "Conclusion of the epic journey" needs to be the tag line to set the stage
  • Communicate that there will be more story and that shit will actually happen
  • Discuss the lessons learned from the first kickstarter and how this one will be better
  • Steam access on Day 1
As much of a long shot as this is, I also don't see Yu getting funding any other way because of S3's soft sale numbers. His only chance to finish the story is with S4, and he can't possibly have enough resources left over from S3 to make it happen. S4 is going to need to be a pretty large game, but also be compact/efficient at the same time. He doesn't have the luxury of multiple games to finish the series off, but he can't do it with a 10 hour game either. I can see S4 being a game that allows for some of the freedom that we expect from Shenmue, but drives the narrative forward with aggressive pacing that compels the player to keep moving forward. Open world games as a genre struggle with the pacing of stories, it's hard to have good pacing when:

Important Main Character- "Oh no, the world is going to end! Quick, get to the Capital and give the king the Mcguffin because it's the only thing that can save us!"
Player- "Sure, but first I need to hit up this side quest and deliver a love letter."

I think S4 will have to focus on pretty tight pacing to make the game both grandiose and efficient. I think the opportunities to freely explore need to be limited in both scope and in time available. You can't have unlimited time between events, I think there needs to be a constant force that compels the player to advance the story. Maybe a lot more instances of "I need to be at X location at Y time tomorrow." You can freely explore until then, but once the event is triggered it moves the plot forward and puts the player on a linear path for a bit until another short window opens up for exploration.

The end result is that the game is going to need to have major compromises if it's going to happen.

Last edited: