• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 30, 2017
After the release of a running-themed DLC back in January, the second expansion pack for Shenmue 3 is about to arrive, and this one's adding a bunch of quests.

Arriving on 18th February, Story Quest Pack promises "new quests full of mystery, intrigue and action", and will see Ryo "cross paths with a familiar face from the past, Shuqin Zhang, and quickly become embroiled in a new escapade where nothing is as it seems". That's about as vague as it can get, but at least there are a few screenshots.
Per Eurogamer

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
looking forward to giving that a shot next week then. More Shenmue is never a bad thing! Still not tried the Battle Rally stuff yet!
Same here, I'll buy the DLC and might really enjoy it on an second play through. Some of the patch updates like easier to skip dialogue sounds like it will improve it as well. I really enjoyed the atmosphere of doing training in Bailu village's hill or try to collect all the items in Niaowu's amusement areas and wouldn't mind revisiting the world!

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Same here, I'll buy the DLC and might really enjoy it on an second play through. Some of the patch updates like easier to skip dialogue sounds like it will improve it as well. I really enjoyed the atmosphere of doing training in Bailu village's hill or try to collect all the items in Niaowu's amusement areas and wouldn't mind revisiting the world!
Yeah, when I replay the game at some point I'll definitely aim at getting more of the trophies I'm short as I've cleared the plot, so I'll focus on doing all the optional stuff like getting all the moves, toys (but probably not herbs). Probably won't plat it though, some of those trophies are too grindy for me!

Oct 30, 2017
It's something to do with gambling on a boat. The screenshot didn't excite me. Looked like it contained most of the same games we played in the other gambling areas. Hopefully we get slots and darts.

Zor

Oct 30, 2017
Ah okay. I was hoping "story" stuff was going to be a bit more substantial but I feel like these things are going to be self-contained to Shenmue III itself. I'll still play them for sure though.

BadAss2961

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
FUCK this game trophies.
After hours of farming etc... I had the herbs trophy for Nyowu, I sold the herbs for money and now I don't have a single Huang Qin Root wich I need for the subquest...
So now I have to start a new game (and seems that New game+ doesn't work because collected herbs doen't respawn) just to make all subquests again and get the trophy...
FUCK this game design.
This screwed me over before too. lol

Bad design that herbs don't respawn after awhile.

Sappharad

Oct 25, 2017
FUCK this game trophies.
After hours of farming etc... I had the herbs trophy for Nyowu, I sold the herbs for money and now I don't have a single Huang Qin Root wich I need for the subquest...
So now I have to start a new game (and seems that New game+ doesn't work because collected herbs doen't respawn) just to make all subquests again and get the trophy...
FUCK this game design.
It doesn't work like that. The 3 sidequests that have you fetching herbs all spawn new unique herbs that you don't pick for anything outside of those quests.

The problem you're running into is that the herb spawner does not spawn all herbs at once - it skips ones that are / were too close to other herbs that it already spawned. Thus it's never possible to collect them all on a single uninterrupted playthough. If you just save your game, quit the game and relaunch it fresh, any herbs that were too close to other herbs will have a chance to spawn. None of the herb locations are random, and none respawn in a single playthrough. "New" herbs were just ones that you couldn't see the last time you ran the game because they weren't loaded.

I literally grabbed every single herb in Niaowu and ran into the same problem with the pharmacist sidequest. After reloading, the herb I couldn't find was suddenly appearing in an area where there were no herbs when I saved.

Guymelef

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Spain
It doesn't work like that. The 3 sidequests that have you fetching herbs all spawn new unique herbs that you don't pick for anything outside of those quests.

The problem you're running into is that the herb spawner does not spawn all herbs at once - it skips ones that are / were too close to other herbs that it already spawned. Thus it's never possible to collect them all on a single uninterrupted playthough. If you just save your game, quit the game and relaunch it fresh, any herbs that were too close to other herbs will have a chance to spawn. None of the herb locations are random, and none respawn in a single playthrough. "New" herbs were just ones that you couldn't see the last time you ran the game because they weren't loaded.

I literally grabbed every single herb in Niaowu and ran into the same problem with the pharmacist sidequest. After reloading, the herb I couldn't find was suddenly appearing in an area where there were no herbs when I saved.
So the solution is relaunching the game and search for the herb in all the previous spots were the herbs were? And if not relaunching again? Because. I did a couple of times and Husng Qin Root is still missing in all their 10 possible collecting points.

Sappharad

Oct 25, 2017
So the solution is relaunching the game and search for the herb in all the previous spots were the herbs were? And if not relaunching again? Because. I did a couple of times and Husng Qin Root is still missing in all their 10 possible collecting points.
You should have only had to relaunch the game once, if the other herbs were already gone. Not twice.

I don't remember the names of the herbs, but if this is the one I ran into the last missing herb spawned in the area right behind the hotel.

Guymelef

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Spain
You should have only had to relaunch the game once, if the other herbs were already gone. Not twice.

I don't remember the names of the herbs, but if this is the one I ran into the last missing herb spawned in the area right behind the hotel.
The herb behind the hotel is the only one I have, because it's a herb that exists only as "key item" and spawn with the mission and not in the herbs listing, the other two are just normal herbs.

So I commissioned billet technology to have these anodized aluminum pieces engraved for the underhood of my Dodge Challenger. Check em out.

DzfvEhs.png

fJ3OPxI.png

pBq0Ptm.png

Whaddaya guys think?

Oct 30, 2017
I really wish Sega would put Shenmue 1&2 up as a free PSN game. That and a nice drop on Shenmue 3's digital price would really help move things along.

Descendant

Nov 2, 2017
I really wish Sega would put Shenmue 1&2 up as a free PSN game. That and a nice drop on Shenmue 3's digital price would really help move things along.

That would be a good idea. I just dont know how much Sega cares about Shenmue at this point in order to try and help the series any further. Would love for Sega to just publish Shenmue IV even if it's still a small budget.

Oct 30, 2017
I'm sure everything is more complicated than my feeble fan boy mind could understand, but they've already offered it as a freebie on Xbox. I can't see how it'd hurt to throw it up as a freebie on PSN.

Gulduur

Oct 28, 2017
So how's the DLC, without spoiling it? Worth it?

There's one more scheduled right? Do we know what it consists?

Clive

Oct 25, 2017
I'm sure everything is more complicated than my feeble fan boy mind could understand, but they've already offered it as a freebie on Xbox. I can't see how it'd hurt to throw it up as a freebie on PSN.
Shenmue probably doesn't have the same mainstream appeal as games like Goat Simulator and Monster Energy Motocross to the average PS+ subscriber. Not even joking. Maybe it also costed more than those for Sony to put Shenmue I & II as freebies. Perhaps it wasn't really up for discussion either since only a small percentage of PS4 games ever become free on PS+.

It would have been great for getting the series some exposure among PS4 owners before the launch if Shenmue III though. Seems there are millions of people who at least boot up the monthly PS+ games. Gamstat suggests Goat Sim had about 3 million new players between Jan 9 - Feb 9 when it was "free". Successive months for PS+ games also generally have high new player counts from what I have seen.

Oct 30, 2017
Shenmue probably doesn't have the same mainstream appeal as games like Goat Simulator and Monster Energy Motocross to the average PS+ subscriber. Not even joking. Maybe it also costed more than those for Sony to put Shenmue I & II as freebies. Perhaps it wasn't really up for discussion either since only a small percentage of PS4 games ever become free on PS+.

It would have been great for getting the series some exposure among PS4 owners before the launch if Shenmue III though. Seems there are millions of people who at least boot up the monthly PS+ games. Gamstat suggests Goat Sim had about 3 million new players between Jan 9 - Feb 9 when it was "free". Successive months for PS+ games also generally have high new player counts from what I have seen.
My thinking is if even a percentage of a million, whatever PsPlus's reach is, enjoyed Shenmue 1&2 they'd be interested in Shenmue 3, but only at a discount. Who knows? A bundle would be great as well, but I'm sure getting two publishers with different goals to work together is t easy.

Clive

Oct 25, 2017
My thinking is if even a percentage of a million, whatever PsPlus's reach is, enjoyed Shenmue 1&2 they'd be interested in Shenmue 3, but only at a discount. Who knows? A bundle would be great as well, but I'm sure getting two publishers with different goals to work together is t easy.
Hard to say how many different people have played the Shenmue franchise considering emulation and used sales at this point but Sony got 3 million people to try out Goat Simulator in one month. I wouldn't be surprised if that is in the ballpark of how many people have tried the Shenmue franchise in total over the years. The original sold 1.2 million and many (most?) of the players of the sequel had probably played the original. That means that the original releases probably didn't reach 2 million people via new games sales.

Even if we hypothetically say used games sales, emulation and the HD ports have taken the player base to 10 million at this point, another 3 million from PS+ is a dramatic increase. I doubt it would have had any major impact on Shenmue III's sales but I would have loved the series being given a shot by more people either way. Shenmue II in particular is one of the games I consider among the essentials of gaming.

master15

Nov 28, 2017
I completed the DLC today and wanted to share my thoughts. As a reminder for those playing on New Game plus mode, you need to get up and complete the first fight with Mr. Muscles for you to be able to complete all elements of the DLC.

So here's what I liked-

- That it's a sidequest and integrated into the main story. Meaning in repeat playthroughs it can be completed in tandem with main story
- While there's a lot of elements that have felt lacking with the two DLC's to date, from an efficiency perspective they've intelligently been able to reuse assets and repurpose it. Whether it's using existing environment in Bailu for Chan hunt or taking advantage of all the bars and restaurants in Niaowu that go largely unused in the main game for chawan signs
- I liked there was multiple different combinations and various cups used through the quest
- Nice to see
counter elbow assault
make an appearance albeit in QTE form. Very satisfying
-
Costume
Ryo gets is quite stylish I must say

Now for the bad-

- Poor communication on how to access and what's required to play the DLC. Most players won't have ideal save in Niaowu to just play the DLC straight through. Yet looking at the Dojo and other places, there was a lot of confusion about how to progress this story DLC
- While I admit you could chalk this up to user error, I did find the clue from first chawan sign very confusing based on small diagram provided and spent next hour aimlessly trying to find location
- If you start the DLC from NG+ the Niaowu map that has yet to fully open up feels even more constrictive. There's a lot of shuttling back and forth and with all the barriers in place it does make traveling a little tedious
- While I did temper my expectations I was hoping for a little more meat when it came the to the narrative. While I praised them earlier for smartly reusing assets and environments, the
Blue Spiders
did feel like the epitome of laziness.
- Hearing people who you for solicit information talk about how
Blue Spiders are worse than Red Snakes and realize it's the two jobbers from Bailu
make me miss how Shenmue used to create gangs that could be seen as potentially dangerous and formidable like Mad Angels or Yellowheads. Also that had a tangible presence in the city

Finally questions-

- It was alluded to all the dialogue was recorded in 2018 and I believe the assets were found hacked when game was first released. Does anyone think originally this was part of the main story and there was going to
be turf war between Blue Spiders and Red Snakes?
- Zhang talks about you saving his organization, perhaps my memory is fuzzy but I thought 5 star Corp went under. So are we to assume Yuanda Zhu started a new organization?

All in all it was adequate and really fun around Niaowu again. For all the shortcomings Shenmue 3 has, there is something endearing about it to me.

Oct 30, 2017
Good opportunity to ask the developers some questions:

www.phantomriverstone.com

Submit Your Questions for Shenmue 3 Developers

A blog on the Shenmue series of games from Yu Suzuki with a mission to translate articles, videos and updates for English-speaking fans.

Call For Interview Question Suggestions

Would you like to hear what members of the Shenmue III development team have to say about their work on the game?

Stemming from a proposal in a recent Shenmue Dojo forum thread, I reached out to Deep Silver to see if they could help assist with approval to interview some of the developers that worked on Shenmue III, and to my delight, approval has been received from YS Net.

The developers in question are from Tokyo-based Implausible Industries, of which they are also co-founders, and have a great deal of experience in the game industry. From the company website:
"Before starting Implausible Industries, our members worked on many games of well-known franchises such as Driver, Fatal Frame, FIFA, Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon, No More Heroes and Final Fantasy. Our strong experience with Unreal Engine allows us to quickly prototype and efficiently develop top quality games in what we believe to be the best games development toolset."
For Shenmue III specifically, the end credits of the game list their respective roles in the project as follows:
  • Christopher Willacy: Level Designer
  • Daniel Markiewicz: Level Designer
  • Cornelis E. (Kees) Gajentaan: Shader Artist
In view of them being in an extremely busy period, the plan is for the interview to be carried out by email.

This is an open call to the Shenmue fan community for interview question suggestions! Any topic will be considered, but obviously most focus will be given to their work on Shenmue III..

Leave your questions for consideration below, by February 26th.

What would you like to ask them about?

master15

Nov 28, 2017
Man jumping back to replay DLC, I don't think enough credit was given to the games environments. The game can be stunning often-

I am almost considering reserving my 2nd playthrough on PC so I can enjoy HUDless experience along with 60FPS.

IronicSonic

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm in Niaowu right now and I'm in awe. Such a massive and beautiful city. I like a lot the Shenmue 2 vibes that it gives.

QTE are bad though. I think if you fail a QTE the game should continue with consequences. If that guy fall over those ceramic vessels, we just fight that punk till pay!

master15

Nov 28, 2017
QTE are bad though. I think if you fail a QTE the game should continue with consequences. If that guy fall over those ceramic vessels, we just fight that punk till pay!

I'm still shocked the game shipped with such punishing timing windows for the QTE's and hasn't been patched yet. Just an additional second or second and a half window would make the world of difference.

Also as you indicated the sprawling multi branch QTE's, especially comparing to some epic chases in Shenmue 2 is sadly gone. Shame but one of the many concessions made.

Oct 30, 2017
That would've made the budget skyrocket. I can actually forgive that concession. They would've been better served spending money on quality non-playable cinematics.

IronicSonic

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That would've made the budget skyrocket. I can actually forgive that concession. They would've been better served spending money on quality non-playable cinematics.
I mean If you do QTE right, those punks still manage to lost you at the end. YsNet could program that chase (just after you find that Buda Shop) in a way that if you miss the first QTE, those punks lost you right away

YuSuzzune

Nov 21, 2018
Was there an update regarding Steam keys for backers?
I remember Ys.Net wrote they would update backers on the "negotiations", but almost four months passed and still no info.

Descendant

Nov 2, 2017
Was there an update regarding Steam keys for backers?
I remember Ys.Net wrote they would update backers on the "negotiations", but almost four months passed and still no info.

If I remember correctly I believe the Epic Game Store should have at least a 1 year exclusivity deal in place. So my guess it should come out, or be announced for Steam this November. Maybe that's when they will distribute those keys.

YuSuzzune

Nov 21, 2018
If I remember correctly I believe the Epic Game Store should have at least a 1 year exclusivity deal in place. So my guess it should come out, or be announced for Steam this November. Maybe that's when they will distribute those keys.
Yeah on Steam it will release on November this year, but my question is different. Ys.Net in fact told they would update backers regarding the Steam keys negotiations, but they never did that. Backers already paid for the game when it was stated it would release on Steam: they got an Epic Store key, with the option to opt in for a Steam key one year later. After some days Ys.Net wrote the Steam keys were not guaranteed, they were doing "negotiations" with Valve (I presume) and they would update backers upon this. Four months passed now, two of the three dlc packages released and still no update.

Oct 30, 2017
I hope that Ys Net finds a way to avoid doing the whole item-pawn shop-money-gambling-token-money thing if they get a chance to make Shenmue IV. Honestly, this pretty much ruined the second half of the game for me. I didn't find it interesting or fun in the least. In fact, I found it obtuse and aggravating and I found Niaowu pretty depressing since it seemed to be entirely service of this "system" if you can call it that. I wonder if the items you purchase originally served a purpose and they ran out of time, or if Shenmue 3 was always about buying random lamps and vases so you can sell them at the pawn shop.

Many of the jobs also feel pointless. Why chop wood if it earns me very little compared to fighting in the Rose Garden or gambling? I wanted to avoid gambling because I found the idea of having to win tokens so I can trudge all the way to the reward redemption area pretty tedious/annoying, but it felt like I had no alternative.

Descendant

Nov 2, 2017
I hope that Ys Net finds a way to avoid doing the whole item-pawn shop-money-gambling-token-money thing if they get a chance to make Shenmue IV. Honestly, this pretty much ruined the second half of the game for me. I didn't find it interesting or fun in the least. In fact, I found it obtuse and aggravating and I found Niaowu pretty depressing since it seemed to be entirely service of this "system" if you can call it that. I wonder if the items you purchase originally served a purpose and they ran out of time, or if Shenmue 3 was always about buying random lamps and vases so you can sell them at the pawn shop.

Many of the jobs also feel pointless. Why chop wood if it earns me very little compared to fighting in the Rose Garden or gambling? I wanted to avoid gambling because I found the idea of having to win tokens so I can trudge all the way to the reward redemption area pretty tedious/annoying, but it felt like I had no alternative.

I mean the counter point to this is most of the items you could obtain in the first Shenmue were pretty pointless. At least Shenmue III makes most items actually matter for something. I also appreciated that the shops actually had things to buy unlike Shenmue II where the shops were just there.

Oct 30, 2017
Yeah, they were pointless. You're totally right. The issue is I expected more from a game that came out nearly 20 years later. It's hard not to compare Shenmue 3 to the other games I've played this gen, which is my biggest issue with Shenmue 3. My head's not where it was 18 years ago.

The other issue is Niaowu just FEELS and LOOKS dead, which makes its limitations stand out even more.

Descendant

Nov 2, 2017
Yeah, they were pointless. You're totally right. The issue is I expected more from a game that came out nearly 20 years later. It's hard not to compare Shenmue 3 to the other games I've played this gen, which is my biggest issue with Shenmue 3. My head's not where it was 18 years ago.

The other issue is Niaowu just FEELS and LOOKS dead, which makes its limitations stand out even more.

That's a fair point, but I give the team a lot of passes due to the budget they were working with. I mean the budget was a fraction of the first Shenmue's budget, and that came out in 1999. I do believe if Shenmue IV is greenlit, that it would be a much better game now that they have a base to work with.

Oct 30, 2017
Fair enough. I am very eager to find out if we're going to continue this story. I hope we find out sooner rather than later. I am getting older and older... I know I've been pretty harsh lately, but I wouldn't spend so much effort on discussing this game if I didn't care enough to see the series through to its conclusion... :(

master15

Nov 28, 2017
Fair enough. I am very eager to find out if we're going to continue this story. I hope we find out sooner rather than later. I am getting older and older... I know I've been pretty harsh lately, but I wouldn't spend so much effort on discussing this game if I didn't care enough to see the series through to its conclusion... :(

We've been discussed the circular economy at the Dojo, so I won't reiterate the same comments.

I also wanted more story elements and hope Shenmue 4 does focus on better characterization and stakes. I did find this analysis interesting-

https://youtube.com/watch?v=jvEJYGi1IhU&t=2s

I'm curious if the symbolism of Yin and Yang will continue in further games.

Oct 30, 2017
Yeah, I have to admit you did give me some pause after that discussion. I hadn't really thought of the pawn shop as a mission hub for the shops and Smart Ball centers in town. That is part of the problem, though I guess it's also the 'genius' of Shenmue's design. There's so much you sort of have to just figure out intuitively or through the game itself. There aren't screaming markers all over the map telling you how to play. Honestly, I got my tokens and yuan through the Lucky Hit board at the Golden Goose.