• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Spaghetti

Dec 2, 2017

Deep Silver's E3 bookings don't mention Dead Island 2 so what's the god damn point of even going.

*sees Shenmue 3 will be playable*

Alright, fine.

Just for press. Not sure what the situation on the show floor will be for everyone else, they'll likely announce it closer to E3

Happening alert. No word if it'll be on the show floor currently, but the backer trial demo is on its way.

Select gaming press were previously treated to a hands-off gameplay demo for Shenmue III earlier in the year. (EDGE, VG 24/7, IGN, Gameblog, RPGsite)

We also learned from Gameblog's MAGIC 2019 interview with Yu Suzuki that Shenmue III is complete, and they are now in a period of "tuning, debugging, and upgrading".

ianpm31

Oct 27, 2017
We've come a looooooong way to get to this point. Wow! 18 years in the making....

YuSuzzune

Nov 21, 2018
Well, considering it should release two months later...
Is the demo for slacker backers too?

Grand Staff

Oct 28, 2017
Interesting to see. I'm curious if Microsoft will pick up a lot of the multiplatform E3 titles to show during the conference, with Shenmue 3 being one of them.

Becks'

Dec 7, 2017
Canada
We all know who is first in line.

xnngg5pbqjs3.gif

OP
OP
Spaghetti

Spaghetti

Dec 2, 2017
Well, considering it should release two months later...
Is the demo for slacker backers too?
Gameblog's MAGIC 2019 interview:

Gameblog: Among the goals of the Kickstarter, there was a playable demo of planned, before the release and reserved for backers. Where are you on this?

Yu Suzuki: It's a promise and it will be held, of course. But I can not talk about details yet.

Would not be surprised if this E3 demo is potentially the same backers will receive.

EDIT: Misread your post. As long as you backed at the $100 or more tiers, the demo should be available to you.

Last edited:

Descendant

Nov 2, 2017
I'm not sure if I was in Huber's shoes if I would touch Shenmue III, it would suck to just try out 10-20 minutes of the game. I'd rather wait and play all of it upon release.

OP
OP
Spaghetti

Spaghetti

Dec 2, 2017
What about Kickstarter backers?
As mentioned in the OP and a few posts up, the backer trial was restated as still coming just last month.

Gameblog: Among the goals of the Kickstarter, there was a playable demo of planned, before the release and reserved for backers. Where are you on this?

Yu Suzuki: It's a promise and it will be held, of course. But I can not talk about details yet.

Kage Maru

Oct 27, 2017
Hopefully we get to see gameplay of the demo and even a new demo from E3.

Interesting to see. I'm curious if Microsoft will pick up a lot of the multiplatform E3 titles to show during the conference, with Shenmue 3 being one of them.

Probably not since it's a PS4 console exclusive.

Gameblog's MAGIC 2019 interview:

Would not be surprised if this E3 demo is potentially the same backers will receive.

EDIT: Misread your post. As long as you backed at the $100 or more tiers, the demo should be available to you.

Will the demo only be available for those that picked the PC version?

Acquiescence

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Lake Titicaca
Seems like things are ramping up. Wow, maybe it will make that August date after all then.

The thought of me playing Shenmue III this year just seems so surreal.

Mr. Spoons

Alt Account
Apr 20, 2019
All I want to know about Shenmue III is how many capsule machine toys I can collect. That was low-key my favorite part of I & II.

OP
OP
Spaghetti

Spaghetti

Dec 2, 2017
Hope for positive impressions
You might be happy to know it was received well in the hands-off demos a little while back. (EDGE, VG 24/7, IGN, Gameblog, RPGsite)

And it wasn't the typical slickly presented bullshit hands-off demo either, it was just something Yu Suzuki recorded a few nights before, being played on his work laptop in a tiny meeting room at MAGIC 2019.

From the VG 24/7 preview:

Past a couple of stony-faced security guards is a little side room of the convention that whispered rumors suggest contains a playable build of the game. That rumor is sadly only partly true – we couldn't play Shenmue 3, but in that room Yu Suzuki was happily, proudly showing off demos of the game he'd recorded a few nights prior. Based on how insanely devoted some of the fans we saw were, it's probably for the best they had the security guards.

The setup is sort of endearing in a sense. MAGIC is not the slick operation of a Gamescom or PAX, and nor is the nature of this demo. There's none of that common bluster or showmanship designed to paper over the cracks – no giant Shenmue artwork standees or statues, no elaborate room design for the hands-on session: it's a bare meeting room, a legendary game designer, a translator, a laptop and some nervous PRs listening in from the sidelines, hoping for positive impressions.

I can't help but think that this event and this room is in many ways demonstrative of Shenmue 3 in general. It may very well be a sequel to one of the most expensive, elaborate triple-A games of all time, but Shenmue 3 has the look and feel of something more modest. Triple-A this is not – but Shenmue 3 also knows it, rolls with it, and makes it work.

So, yes – rather than look at the game blown up on a massive screen with a carefully-scripted presentation, I crowd around a 17-inch laptop screen with Suzuki and his translator. That fits Shenmue 3 – a game that seems to have scope and ambition with no end but also clearly a very strict budget.

That's the main thing that is made clear watching the game in action, too. This is real footage, with user interface elements and the natural, not-quite-perfect movement of a real person playing it – and seeing this side of Shenmue 3, everything clicks for me.

Past trailers have showcased story sequences and offered tiny glimpses of Ryo and Shenhua's adventures that have invited criticism: weird animation, iffy character models, a more exaggerated art style. In motion it makes sense, however, and it actually looks pretty good.

Kage Maru

Oct 27, 2017
Whoops. Must have glossed over that bit since I was thinking of the Shenmue collection.

There's always the chance it can be ported over after release. I don't think Sony is funding the game from what we know but they are supposed to be providing some marketing support. Hopefully this does get ported to the Xbox and even Switch eventually. The more people who get to play this the better.

Braaier

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Are we sure this isn't delayed again? Only playable by press should raise some red flags

ianpm31

Oct 27, 2017
Are we sure this isn't delayed again? Only playable by press should raise some red flags
Deep Silver has not released their plans for e3 yet. A press guy leaked that it will be playable for them and that's all we know. The game is essentially finished and are in the polishing, tweaking, bug fixing phase.

Iwao

Oct 25, 2017
No we cannot be sure. Any game can be delayed at any time for any good reason. Deep Silver is in control of the marketing and distribution from here on out. How Shenmue III has been presented to the press so far this year is a good indication that Deep Silver has a strategy for the game leading up to its projected release in August. We need to hear more before sounding an alarm over what amounts to a hunch.

OP
OP
Spaghetti

Spaghetti

Dec 2, 2017
It's E3, not PAX. Unless you are totally unfamiliar with how the event works, there are no red flags to be raised unless you're looking to spread FUD.

It's a major industry trade show that the public are not usually involved in, and when they are, has come with caveats (remember the Doritos branded "E3" event for the public nowhere near the actual real event a few years ago?). The majority of games seen and played at E3 are not available openly on the show floor, and are controlled through bookings for individual and group appointments with the publisher in meeting rooms, closed booths, and theatres.

Brandon

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Playable only for the press two months before it is supposed to be released sure sounds like the sign of a high quality game!

Braaier

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
It's E3, not PAX. Unless you are totally unfamiliar with how the event works, there are no red flags to be raised unless you're looking to spread FUD.

It's a major industry trade show that the public are not usually involved in, and when they are, has come with caveats (remember the Doritos branded "E3" event for the public nowhere near the actual real event a few years ago?). The majority of games seen and played at E3 are not available openly on the show floor, and are controlled through bookings for individual and group appointments with the publisher in meeting rooms, closed booths, and theatres.
This is not true for games releasing a couple months after E3 though. This is pretty much unheard of

Elfforkusu

Oct 25, 2017
I could see it getting delayed a few months still, if they decide they need more time to polish various things. But I think 2019 is a lock at this point.

OP
OP
Spaghetti

Spaghetti

Dec 2, 2017
Playable only for the press two months before it is supposed to be released sure sounds like the sign of a high quality game!
This is not true for games releasing a couple months after E3 though. This is pretty much unheard of
I'm not sure either of you are particularly reading my posts.

E3 is an industry trade show, arguably THE industry trade show. It is not a consumer show like PAX where most of everything there is out and the open and available. A small fraction of the games at E3 are out in the open on the show floor, which are usually dominated by larger publishers and platform holders, and sometimes are only dedicated to one game of their lineup (see E3 2016, Zelda BotW).

The rest are controlled through - as I said - meeting rooms, closed and semi-closed booths, and theatres. These are done with bookings for appointments with publishers, which is how we even know this information in the first place (a games media person let it slip), and how E3 operates if you are in the games press. If you are unconvinced by me telling you this, go listen to a few pre/during/post E3 gaming podcasts from Giant Bomb or whoever, where they will casually mention booking appointments to see games.

E3 is an industry event first and foremost, and at least in its current form does not do general admissions from the public; relying instead on selling a limited number of what they call "gamer passes" to the event to get onto the show floor + a few bonuses, but does not include the same privileges and access afforded to the press. E3 has only been doing limited admission since 2015.

Nothing about this is unheard of, it is literally standard operation.

If you have come to spread FUD about nothing, or just be snarky - then please, go find another thread and save us all some valuable time.

Brandon

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
User warned: Trolling.
I'm not sure either of you are particularly reading my posts.

E3 is an industry trade show, arguably THE industry trade show. It is not a consumer show like PAX where most of everything there is out and the open and available. A small fraction of the games at E3 are out in the open on the show floor, which are usually dominated by larger publishers and platform holders, and sometimes are only dedicated to one game of their lineup (see E3 2016, Zelda BotW).

The rest are controlled through - as I said - meeting rooms, closed and semi-closed booths, and theatres. These are done with bookings for appointments with publishers, which is how we even know this information in the first place (a games media person let it slip), and how E3 operates if you are in the games press. If you are unconvinced by me telling you this, go listen to a few pre/during/post E3 gaming podcasts from Giant Bomb or whoever, where they will casually mention booking appointments to see games.

E3 is an industry event first and foremost, and at least in its current form does not do general admissions from the public; relying instead on selling a limited number of what they call "gamer passes" to the event to get onto the show floor + a few bonuses, but does not include the same privileges and access afforded to the press. E3 has only been doing limited admission since 2015.

Nothing about this is unheard of, it is literally standard operation.

If you have come to spread FUD about nothing, or just be snarky - then please, go find another thread and save us all some valuable time.
I read your posts you just seem to be in denial that the game is possibly bad.

OP
OP
Spaghetti

Spaghetti

Dec 2, 2017
I know, I'm just hoping it doesn't end up being a case that it's not being shown for quality reasons lol.
I'm not sure of the logic there. Why allow the press to play it if there's quality concerns? If anything it indicates the opposite. You can read multiple hands-off previews that were positive from Feb/March a few posts up too.

Regardless, this information is literally just that Deep Silver are taking appointments for press to try a hands-on demo. It's not an exhaustive detailing of all the forms Shenmue III will be in at E3, and I think it's common sense to expect a trailer too as a baseline.

Whoa whoa whoa where the fuck is my backer demo.
Gameblog's MAGIC 2019 interview with Yu Suzuki:

It's coming. Probably hot on the heels of this E3 showing if I had to take a guess.

You're inferring it's bad based on standard industry procedure. If you're just here to bait people, just go elsewhere. It's transparent as fuck, and wasting all of our time.

BoxManLocke

Oct 25, 2017
France

Hard to be in denial when every single thread about the game is filled with this kind of post.

It's just mostly annoying.

Any game is possibly bad. A closed demo two and a half months before release (which is the only thing we know about yet) isn't an indication of anything.

Now if the impressions are awful or if the backer demo keeps getting delayed sure, it might make more sense to talk about that, but there's no reason to be concerned right now.

Resilient

Oct 25, 2017

You have no idea what you are talking about and should probably stop lol. This isn't about whether it's possibly good or possibly bad. Spaghetti spelled it out for you, E3 is for press hence the potentially closed demo. That fact is not in any means a measure of it's quality. What part of that don't you get.

Like lmao. IF it were bad, why would they show it to the press who would definitely go to town on shitting on it for being bad?

RedSwirl

Oct 25, 2017
I have a feeling some people are gonna be dismayed when they play it and realize it's less of a "modern game" and more of a sequel to a game that came out in 2001.