• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
OP
OP
Spaghetti

Spaghetti

Dec 2, 2017
So Ryo still looks weird, what is going on with their character artists? Are they just having to settle for the cheapest/lowest talent teams to afford the project?
If you think that's what the cheapest 3D character artists can produce, I have a bridge to sell you. If it's still not to your tastes that's fine, but don't downplay the work that has been put in refining the character model literally every time the game surfaces.

OP
OP
Spaghetti

Spaghetti

Dec 2, 2017
I'm very happy with how that looks too. Character lighting has seen a leap forward compared to Gamescom '18, which I think has made the most difference.

Metalgus

Oct 27, 2017
Shenhua is great from this side view. She looks elegant. And yeah, it's cool to finally see an emotion on Ryo's face.

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017
Here's my full transcript of the Shenmue III segment from the facebook live:
"-Regarding our "Shibuya Crazy Time" I told you earlier, Shenmue III, our game releasing on August 27th 2019, Mr Yu Suzuki will be there, during a conference dedicated to Shenmue III. I insist on "dedicated" which means we'll really get into details about the game. We'll also have a new trailer, really extensive, dedicated to the MAGIC, that's a world premiere so I think the worldwide gaming press might be interested in that.
-Here I'm showing you new screenshots of Shenmue III, that never were shown before. So here you have this one (the first one shown on his twitter feed), to keep you waiting until the full event.
-I have more to say about the game, so I'm taking my notes here so that I make no mistakes. So... Well as you know, MAGIC is organized by Shibuya Productions, co-producer of Shenmue III and thanks to our partners YsNet, developper of the game and Deep Silver, publisher of the game, we'll have the possibility to show some gameplay of the game to certain/a few selected people. I cant tell you yet how they'll be selected but there'll be gameplay for the game, at the MAGIC, so it's a big news as it's a world premiere as MAGIC will be the first event where Shenmue III will have such a spotlight.
-I'm taking this opportunity to talk about something, a small detail that'll make fans happy, we'll make a special Shenmue III t-shirt, sold only at the MAGIC, an official MAGIC Shenmue III t-shirt, in limited quantities.
-I think I said all about Shenmue III for now, which is not bad for now."

benzy

Oct 25, 2017
Yesss, looks awesome.

Dyya0m1XgAASO06.jpg:orig

Dyz2GUhW0AAf7UZ.jpg:orig

Oct 25, 2017
I can't remember exactly what point it happened but I'm glad Shenhua has her full pigtails back, rather than the little ponytails from earlier builds.

OP
OP
Spaghetti

Spaghetti

Dec 2, 2017
I can't remember exactly what point it happened but I'm glad Shenhua has her full pigtails back, rather than the little ponytails from earlier builds.
Apparently this was because they're physics objects, and would be added towards the back half of development.

At least I believe that was the reason given to ShenmueGuru by Yu Suzuki himself.

Apr 21, 2018
Previous builds : 2 to 4/10. Simply ugly and cheap for me.

Present build : 6 to 7/10. Not bad at all.

Ryo remains a little bit young and chubby.
Come one! He fought 300 chinese punks, ate once a day (prefers gambling), saved money of hotels, public bath...

Ryo needs dirt, more injuries, body hairs (some young japanese have one, no need of a big one of course. A little like 3.3 ryu) and let's stop this fucking brushing.

Ryo is now a street fighter not a boy's band.

nelsonroyale

Oct 28, 2017
I wouldn't advise going down the reductive "but I'm a backer" route. Not only do you have to compete with the other 81,000+ backers who may not agree with you, including the "but I paid X amount more than you" dick waving, Shibuya Productions have poured millions of company money into Shenmue III. If it's a measurement of who's entitled to what, they'll come out on top of individual backers every time.

I know that sounds harsh, but I find it a hard case to make to stop them leveraging their investment in Shenmue III on other business interests like MAGIC.

The fact everybody will be able to see a new and extensive trailer at the event (which I feel is being forgotten in all this), means nobody is really being shut out. The question mark over whether gameplay appears in the trailer anyway should at least be cause enough for a "wait and see" approach, instead of getting the pitchforks and torches.

I am not interested in being representive of anybody here. I am simply stating that I haven't been impressed with the way they have communicated this game, even while quite liking the titbits they have shown in terms of visuals. I mean I can hardly believe they are going to meet August by what they have shown. If they do though, then I will be impressed, and fairly happy they haven't shown much. Long story short, what they have shown suggests to me that the game is a long way off. Happy to be proven wrong.

breakYODAy

Oct 25, 2017
Screens look great and I'm pleased with the character models. Can't wait for the trailer next month. Hopefully they'll include some gameplay snippets in the trailer.

OP
OP
Spaghetti

Spaghetti

Dec 2, 2017
Long story short, what they have shown suggests to me that the game is a long way off. Happy to be proven wrong.
I won't count my chickens before they're hatched just yet when it comes to hitting August, but with absolute certainty I can say "a long way off" is untrue.

If the March trailer is extensive, as it has been touted, then I think you'll probably see my position more clearly.

So again no gameplay at all?
Gameplay is confirmed for MAGIC. It's the logistics of how it will be shown that are currently under question.

Oct 26, 2017
I won't count my chickens before they're hatched just yet when it comes to hitting August, but with absolute certainty I can say "a long way off" is untrue.

If the March trailer is extensive, as it has been touted, then I think you'll probably see my position more clearly.

Gameplay is confirmed for MAGIC. It's the logistics of how it will be shown that are currently under question.
No gameplay was going to be shown today. It was a press conference about their upcoming event in March which is where we'll have new medias about the game.

Hmmm I see. And when is that?

It truly is supposed to release this year?

Flevance

Oct 28, 2017
I'm satisfied with the results so far, not only they look good but they also kept their originality.. Can't wait till august!

I hope we'll get the trial by the next month

OP
OP
Spaghetti

Spaghetti

Dec 2, 2017
Hmmm I see. And when is that?

It truly is supposed to release this year?
MAGIC is on March 9th, so four weeks from this Saturday. Although the gameplay showing is still a bit loose on details, what's absolutely confirmed is that a new and extensive trailer will premiere for everybody at MAGIC (and obviously through Kickstarter, YouTube, etc for those who can't personally attend).

All going well, it'll release on the 27th of August this year. The English dub is 70-80% complete as of January, localisation of subtitles for other languages is currently in progress, and distribution partnerships are almost entirely secured worldwide. In any case it's the final stretch of development.

Maligna

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Ryo looking awesome. Still lots of time for more refinements.

However, no gameplay is seriously worrying.

Deleted member 9327

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Any tidbits about if this will later come to Xbox as well? Sorry, I'm out of the loop sometime so this isn't meant as port begging. I'm just wondering about this since Sega brought the remaster of 1 & 2 to Xbox.

In any way as a backer I can't wait to finally play this!

Maligna

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Any tidbits about if this will later come to Xbox as well? Sorry, I'm out of the loop sometime so this isn't meant as port begging. I'm just wondering about this since Sega brought the remaster of 1 & 2 to Xbox.

At the moment there haven't been any plans mentioned (that I know of).

OP
OP
Spaghetti

Spaghetti

Dec 2, 2017

Never say never. I imagine if it does well enough it'll come over when the exclusivity with Sony is over.

Oct 30, 2017
So Ryo still looks weird, what is going on with their character artists? Are they just having to settle for the cheapest/lowest talent teams to afford the project?

This looks weird and cheap:
hqdefault.jpg

Still weird, but getting there:
shenmue-iii-screen-01-ps4-us-15jun15

The current model looks perfect to my eyes. This game is held to such a ridiculous standard. A year ago the naysayers were insisting the model would never change because that's what developers always say. Now it's just back to naysaying the actual quality model because why not? I'm playing through RDR2 right now and for all the praise it gets, it sure is full of weird & ugly character models that animate strangely. Maybe we should wait & see how Shenmue 3 ultimately turns out before screaming doom & gloom.

Sumio Mondo

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
Shenhua definitely looks more mature in this game from the screens we've seen. Looks older than 16 that's for sure. Ryo looks more and more like his Dreamcast model each update, which is really good.

OP
OP
Spaghetti

Spaghetti

Dec 2, 2017
You know what I mean. :P

If we can't see it, it might as well not exist to most people.
Hah. Well y'know, there's still a lot up in the air about how this is being handled.

While I'm still planting my flag in the idea that gameplay will appear in some form in the new trailer, I genuinely don't think the general public will go too long without seeing it for themselves even if this MAGIC sneak peek is exclusive for select attendees.

I also don't think the exclusive nature of the showing reflects on the state of completion of the game either. Without going too deeply into it, backroom looks at the game are not announced publicly, and you definitely don't pick people at random to have them. Those kinds of looks at Shenmue III have already occurred over the last two years with trusted people.

Last edited:

Akasaki

Oct 27, 2017
Ryo's face proportions have been fixed now. His face actually resembles the original one.
Really glad how this is turning out and I can't wait for the trailer next month!

OP
OP
Spaghetti

Spaghetti

Dec 2, 2017
Cedric is clarifying exactly what will be happening at MAGIC. Might need to do this in multiple posts because of the media limit.

(waiting for the tweet thread to continue before I post the rest, don't want to clog the thread up for too many posts)

OP
OP
Spaghetti

Spaghetti

Dec 2, 2017

There may be some additional clarification regarding point #5 coming in responses, so stay tuned.

MilkBeard

Oct 25, 2017
The picture looks great. If Ryo looks exactly like that in the final game I would not be disappointed. Can't wait to see the new trailer.

Oct 27, 2017
Wait 8/27! Nice!

Watch Sega release Judgment or a Yakuza remaster the week before lol. I'd play them both!

I think I'll play shenmue 2 after RE2. Can't wait!