• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Spaghetti

Dec 2, 2017
NOTE: This thread is for MAGIC's pre-event press conference in Paris. The actual MAGIC Monaco event will take place on March 9th.

----------

UPDATE 05

0a1bd9c519.jpg

Lan Di... reveals himself.

----------

UPDATE 04

The new extensive trailer is CONFIRMED to have gameplay.

----------

UPDATE 03

Second screen from the press conference, now in a direct feed form.

----------

UPDATE 02

Thanks to GhostTrick for the translations.

Here's my full transcript of the Shenmue III segment from the facebook live:
"-Regarding our "Shibuya Crazy Time" I told you earlier, Shenmue III, our game releasing on August 27th 2019, Mr Yu Suzuki will be there, during a conference dedicated to Shenmue III. I insist on "dedicated" which means we'll really get into details about the game. We'll also have a new trailer, really extensive, dedicated to the MAGIC, that's a world premiere so I think the worldwide gaming press might be interested in that.
-Here I'm showing you new screenshots of Shenmue III, that never were shown before. So here you have this one (the first one shown on his twitter feed), to keep you waiting until the full event.
-I have more to say about the game, so I'm taking my notes here so that I make no mistakes. So... Well as you know, MAGIC is organized by Shibuya Productions, co-producer of Shenmue III and thanks to our partners YsNet, developper of the game and Deep Silver, publisher of the game, we'll have the possibility to show some gameplay of the game to certain/a few selected people. I cant tell you yet how they'll be selected but there'll be gameplay for the game, at the MAGIC, so it's a big news as it's a world premiere as MAGIC will be the first event where Shenmue III will have such a spotlight.
-I'm taking this opportunity to talk about something, a small detail that'll make fans happy, we'll make a special Shenmue III t-shirt, sold only at the MAGIC, an official MAGIC Shenmue III t-shirt, in limited quantities.
-I think I said all about Shenmue III for now, which is not bad for now."

----------

UPDATE 01

More info to come towards the end of the press conference.

----------

What's MAGIC Monaco?

MAGIC is a convention for manga, anime, games, cosplay & more, now on it's fifth edition. Shenmue III has appeared at both 2016 and 2018 editions along with Yu Suzuki, showcasing the game in early prototype and early Alpha stage. MAGIC is run by Shibuya Productions, who are an investor in Shenmue III.

Why is this press conference important?

Specific details of Shenmue III's appearance at MAGIC will be revealed during the press conference, and should set expectations for the show. MAGIC is not an enormous show so some limits on expectations should be applied, and I would understand some hesitation in getting excited after last year - but announcing the showing's details up front like this instead of leaving it to speculation should calibrate our excitement correctly.

Is this being live streamed?

I believe it will be live streamed on MAGIC Monaco's Facebook page. It'll likely be in French only, and a fairly modest operation from a production values standpoint. I imagine details will be revealed in English shortly after or even during the press conference, but fansite Shenmue Master will be present and can hopefully relay the broad strokes of the details as they happen.

I'll update the OP as news breaks.

To get us started, Cedric Biscay (Shenmue III co-producer from Shibuya Productions) just tweeted this new screenshot out:

Last edited:

Dojima

Alt-account
Banned
Jan 25, 2019
I still can't believe that this is real! Damn sailors you kept waiting for my entire life!

OP
OP
Spaghetti

Spaghetti

Dec 2, 2017
I kept the OP free of personal conjecture, but I think MAGIC will be the start of the marketing push mentioned in the last Kickstarter update. It's been made very clear new information would be coming down the pipe shortly, and whatever has been agreed for MAGIC seems to have been in conjunction with Deep Silver too.

The press conference should lay the cards fully on the table for what to expect, and honestly I think there is a medium to high chance that gameplay will be revealed in some form at MAGIC itself. I don't expect a blowout reveal however, as something needs to be saved for the other events leading up to release on August 27th.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
That's one nice environment shot, say what you want about the character models (I still don't think they look bad compared to the budget), but the environments shown so far look so damn nice. Cannot wait to explore the areas in this game come August :)

OP
OP
Spaghetti

Spaghetti

Dec 2, 2017
5 minutes until the live stream is set to begin.

EDIT: Minor delay getting started it seems like? They're not live on Facebook yet in any case.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Spaghetti

Spaghetti

Dec 2, 2017
I thought they were showing a new video but it was just a recap of MAGIC Kyoto. Damn falling petals tricked my ass.

OP
OP
Spaghetti

Spaghetti

Dec 2, 2017
I think they might be saving the Shenmue stuff for near the end. My recollection of last year's press conference is that Shenmue had a small section in the middle, but I believe we're past that point now.

OP
OP
Spaghetti

Spaghetti

Dec 2, 2017
Yu Suzuki just got mentioned. Not sure if they're announcing he'll be there or not. Can French speakers help out?

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017
I think they might be saving the Shenmue stuff for near the end. My recollection of last year's press conference is that Shenmue had a small section in the middle, but I believe we're past that point now.

Just confirmed by Cedric on the live: He'll talk about Shenmue 3 at the end of Shenmue 3. Has a lot of things to say about it.

Yu Suzuki just got mentioned. Not sure if they're announcing he'll be there or not. Can French speakers help out?

Quick summary:
"Yu Suzuki will be at Magic 2019. He's a regular since Shibuya Production co-produce Shenmue III, which is a highly anticipated video game. We'll talk about Shenmue III at the end of the press conf so that you don't leave earlier ( :) ), since I have a lot of things to say, I had to write down stuff as I have to talk about some stuff specifically from a PR standpoint."

OP
OP
Spaghetti

Spaghetti

Dec 2, 2017
Just confirmed by Cedric on the live: He'll talk about Shenmue 3 at the end of Shenmue 3. Has a lot of things to say about it.
Yessssss.

EDIT:

Quick summary:
"Yu Suzuki will be at Magic 2019. He's a regular since Shibuya Production co-produce Shenmue III, which is a highly anticipated video game. We'll talk about Shenmue III at the end of the press conf so that you don't leave earlier ( :) ), since I have a lot of things to say, I had to write down stuff as I have to talk about some stuff specifically from a PR standpoint."
Double yessssss.

OP
OP
Spaghetti

Spaghetti

Dec 2, 2017
Okay - the press conference should be wrapping up shortly, and the Shenmue III talk will occur at/near the end.

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017
Regarding Shenmue III:
-There'll be a conference dedicated to Shenmue III. There'll be a new trailer. An extensive trailer for the Magic 2019.
-Cedric showing new screenshots (to keep us waiting).
-They'll show gameplay to SELECTED people at Magic 2019.

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017
More infos:
-Small detail: There'll be a Shenmue III t-shirt sold at Magic 2019. Only there. A limited edition.
-They'll have new details shown at Magic 2019.

OP
OP
Spaghetti

Spaghetti

Dec 2, 2017
Wonder what the "selected people" stuff is about...? Maybe previews for press and fan outlets?

A new, extensive trailer for MAGIC sounds good though. We're only slightly over 4 weeks away from the event too.

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017
That's all about Shenmue III today I guess ?
So to sum up the whole thing:
- Shenmue III will be at Magic 2019 with a conference dedicated to the game with Yu Suzuki attending there.
- They'll show an "extensive" new trailer made for Magic 2019.
- Two new screenshots have been revealed (showing Ryo and Shenhua's face).
- They'll be showing an exclusive gameplay segment to a FEW SELECTED people at Magic 2019 (I guess we wont see it then).
- They'll be selling a Shenmue III tshirt at the event. It'll be made in limited quantities and only sold at Magic 2019.

ianpm31

Oct 27, 2017
I'm hyped. Gameplay to selected ppl is weird. I hope we get an idea in the new trailer.

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017
Wonder what the "selected people" stuff is about...? Maybe previews for press and fan outlets?

A new, extensive trailer for MAGIC sounds good though. We're only slightly over 4 weeks away from the event too.

No details about the "selected people" yet. Cedric said something along the line "We're still deciding on how we'll choose the selected people".

OP
OP
Spaghetti

Spaghetti

Dec 2, 2017
FYI - I have a feeling a direct feed version of the other new screen will appear soon, so I haven't added the off-screen version to the OP yet.

Metalgus

Oct 27, 2017
Thanks for the info guys. I wish gameplay wouldn't be reserved for a few selected people, but I'll live with a new trailer for sure.

OP
OP
Spaghetti

Spaghetti

Dec 2, 2017
New details and off-screen look at new screenshot added to OP. I think there are some supplementary details still to come that will elaborate on a few things, so stay tuned.

OP
OP
Spaghetti

Spaghetti

Dec 2, 2017
I'm hyped. Gameplay to selected ppl is weird. I hope we get an idea in the new trailer.
Personally, I think the new trailer will still contain gameplay, but an extended sequence will be shown to select people.

Waiting for more details. It's kind of an unorthodox way to handle a gameplay reveal, but I feel like only half the story has been told about this.

Shadow2222

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I'm waiting for the official words from Cedric before I judge anything, but if the info about the gameplay is correct, that instills me with fear about the project again - we should be approaching an information blowout for marketing purposes, not reserving the first look at gameplay for a selected few 5-6 months before it supposedly launches.

OP
OP
Spaghetti

Spaghetti

Dec 2, 2017
I'm waiting for the official words from Cedric before I judge anything, but if the info about the gameplay is correct, that instills me with fear about the project again - we should be approaching an information blowout for marketing purposes, not reserving the first look at gameplay for a selected few 5-6 months before it supposedly launches.
I feel it reflects more on MAGIC, than on the project. It was never going to be the blow out, and with Shenmue III set to appear at other (as of yet unnamed) events alongside beginning the big marketing push, MAGIC not having everything & the kitchen sink is irrelevant in the bigger picture.

The fact it has secured an exclusive and extensive new trailer is quite an impressive "get", considering. Anybody following this game won't be walking away from the event empty handed.

Pagusas

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Frisco, Tx
So Ryo still looks weird, what is going on with their character artists? Are they just having to settle for the cheapest/lowest talent teams to afford the project?

nelsonroyale

Oct 28, 2017
surely I am a selected person since I blooming helped crowd fund this? I feel the content has been really minimal considering they are developing a game. How many years has it been and no gameplay?

OP
OP
Spaghetti

Spaghetti

Dec 2, 2017
surely I am a selected person since I blooming helped crowd fund this? I feel the content has been really minimal considering they are developing a game. How many years has it been and no gameplay?
I wouldn't advise going down the reductive "but I'm a backer" route. Not only do you have to compete with the other 81,000+ backers who may not agree with you, including the "but I paid X amount more than you" dick waving, Shibuya Productions have poured millions of company money into Shenmue III. If it's a measurement of who's entitled to what, they'll come out on top of individual backers every time.

I know that sounds harsh, but I find it a hard case to make to stop them leveraging their investment in Shenmue III on other business interests like MAGIC.

The fact everybody will be able to see a new and extensive trailer at the event (which I feel is being forgotten in all this), means nobody is really being shut out. The question mark over whether gameplay appears in the trailer anyway should at least be cause enough for a "wait and see" approach, instead of getting the pitchforks and torches.