• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Spaghetti

Dec 2, 2017
NEW YU SUZUKI VIDEO INTERVIEWS (Published every Friday until release)

(English subtitles available)

PREVIOUS VIDEOS

Combat, training, bosses, and battles. (English subs available)

Shenmue's atmosphere, and the locations of Bailu and Niaowu. (English subs available)

The story so far. (English subs available)

----------

IMPRESSIONS

Metro.

There are mere weeks to go until we discover first-hand how all this fits together, and how Ryo will avenge his dad's death and deal with the nefarious Lan Di, finally laying to rest the flawed joy of Shenmue's untold saga. It's already looking like a work of devoted fan service, with all the positives and negatives that brings with it, and however the final game plays out it will be a relief to see Yu Suzuki's grand vision in all its completed glory for the first time.

Games Radar.

Fans of Shenmue are about to get something else that pretty much nobody else is getting at this point in time: a sequel to a much-loved classic that doesn't destroy its legacy. I've no idea how this has happened, but I daren't question it. It's ALMOST HERE.

PSU.

If there's anyway I can put this succinctly for those of you wanting the lowdown, let me just say this: Shenmue 3 plays like a Shenmue game.

And that's just brilliant. [...] I'm absolutely stoked to finally get my hands on the final product and finally continue Ryo's quest for revenge.

RocketBeans.

Video only preview so no text, but apparently they were high on it and believe the positives outweigh the flaws.

The Games Machine.

The hope is that this title, which seems to play with time as if it were a swing, is able to excite old people and at the same time intrigue new players , reinforcing the feelings of its faithful community and thus guaranteeing an honorable conclusion to the adventures of Ryo Hazuki. In one way or another, this series has made the history of the videogame medium and has been a source of inspiration for many disciples who came after her; even if only because of its historical importance, Shenmue deserves that the curtain falls on its epic journey with that same dignity that has made the samurai of the land of the rising sun eternally legendary.

From IGN Spain (summary provided by Kyo_JP from Shenmue Dojo):

- You have to wait to a certain time for something to happen like in I & II. Time Skip option confirmed
- They start from the beginning, arriving to Bailu to discover that some thugs has been assaulting houses
- They loved the turtle race minigame
- They complain about the Stamina System and also about the menu navigation, they said it is outdated
- Remarkable graphic improvements to previous versions
- High points visuals in the lighting and environments. Also they said that the transitions between animations are still not fluid but much better than before.
- They complain about the shot composition being "old style" (assuming this means the wide FOV during regular gameplay?) but you can see pretty panoramic views with them
- They seems to like the English dub
- They highlight through the article that it is an slow pace game that will satisfy old fans, they also said that the combat system is challenging

The Inquirer.

In Shenmue III's finished form, we don't want Stardew Valley, and we certainly don't want Death Stranding. We just want Ryu to settle up with Lan Di and all that mirror business, put our 18-year wait to rest, and inevitably sling his duffle bag over his shoulder and wander off into the sunset forever. But having waited this long, we've shown we're good at waiting - and that literal five minutes at the bus stop waiting to get to our forklift job every day is what we've paid for, and what we expect.

We're masochists, Mr Suzuki. Please spend our millions wisely.

Hobby Consolas. Summary of the article, again, courtesy of Kyo_JP:

- Both in the video and article they said that the game has reached Gold status (also implied that patches are a possibility)
- They played in the Koch Media office in Madrid for about 1 hour
- Final scene of Shenmue II recreated with the new engine
- Similar investigation feeling like in Shenmue I. Also highlight that you need Shenhua help to characters to open up to Ryo
- Also related to Shenmue I is the similar small environment and NPC routines
- You can Press the Triangle button to open a option to move to a specific time and location if you don't want to wait to move the story on (In the video they implied that using that option will consume a lot stamina)
- Combat system is more fluid than in I & II, also more demanding because we have to increase the Kung Fu level (Description of how to do it)
- The Diary is more intuitive than in previous games. One Tab for the map, One for the Main Story, One for Secondary missions, for example
- UI and UX more fluid, the UI buttons in the top right corner are very clear when you need to do an action
- They ask themselves the question of what about the tech aspect, the big controversy in months past:
* The project does not have the resources to be an AAA game, but it is a beautiful game, specially on the scenarios and they praise the artistic direction.
* Irregular quality in character models. Ryo Hazuki has improved a lot from the previous years pictures and now match what they expected to look like. Other characters are not that "believable" as one could expect. The lighting and warm colours can generate controversy among some users that can say that the art approach is not realistic.
* They love the old people models. Facial expression is also irregular. Robotic movements.
- Conclusion: A very elegant experience, actual Shenmue Style, what can seem dated for some people and also drive nostalgia for others.

Meristation.

Shenmue III is not a simple gateway for those who can take it as an introduction to the saga. To enjoy it in its full form, it is vital to have lived the previous two . There is no better time to discover (or remember) one of the mythical brands of the modern video game. However, if it is already in your heart, this delivery seems to correspond to all your desires. The wait will have been worth it . The date: next November 19 on PS4 and PC through Epic Games Store.

PlayStation Trophies.

Shenmue III is something of a slow starter. If you're unacquainted with Yu Suzuki's hallowed open-world series starring tiger jacket-sporting protagonist Ryo Hazuki, you may find his long-awaited return difficult to get into. For anyone else who's been craving more Shenmue since 2001, you'll be eating this up with a spoon. This is Shenmue precisely as you remember it, so if you're a fan, you're unlikely to be disappointed.

Looking at Shenmue III as someone with limited experience of the SEGA Dreamcast originals, however, you can't help but feel that it's in thrall to a bygone era, slightly afraid of altering too much, lest it upset an audience that's been longing for a sequel for almost two decades. Still, there's a clear appeal here that will chime with anyone looking to discover a series beloved by many, even if it does feel a little old-fashioned by today's standards.

El Correo.

The best that can be said about Shenmue III is that, once certain technical deficiencies have been overcome, one ends up absorbed in his proposal and narrative. The hours seem seconds as we do the role of the protagonist , just what we fell in love with the previous games and what could dazzle any newcomer (especially with ' Shenmue I & II HD ' just appeared). As far as a server is concerned, much has to be twisted so that Suzuki does not fulfill his eternal promise of a dignified continuation.

3dJuegos.

All in all, Shenmue III is going to be a very special game for many reasons. A title recreated especially for those players who enjoyed the incomparable adventures of Ryo Hazuki in that wonderful machine ahead of his time that was Dreamcast. On November 19, that particular user group has marked the return of Shenmue . It almost seems like a dream.

Gameswelt.

Serial connoisseurs and retro lovers will love Shenmue 3 for just this balancing act between old and new. Also, thumbs up, that the game lovingly refers to parts one and two. If you like, you can later call, for example, with different characters of the previous game. Yes, even fan-forklift passages will return in a pampered form - just to name two of many examples.

What remains is an action-adventure developed with a lot of passion, which will certainly not appeal to everyone due to its old-fashioned appearance. However, anyone who has already devoured the first two parts and wants more adventures of this kind should spend many entertaining hours from November 19th onwards.

Game Reactor.

After two and a half hours playing, we believe that the almost 70,000 patrons are going to get a title that will not disappoint them, and fans of the saga that did not dare with the Kickstarter campaign, will have a new chapter at the height of the above.

GAMERzine.

As you can see, I am not a regular player in the saga, but perhaps this different point of view will help you realize what I am trying to tell you, and that is that, even without being so, Shenmue III loved it. And that is important. It means that things have been done, and most of them, very well. Shenmue III is a timeless classic aimed mostly at the nostalgic audience, and that does it fantastically well. We notice in its technical section, in the movements, in the dialogues, as it is not a Triple A, of course, but its objective is not that. Its goal is to be, literally, Shenmue III. Almost as if it had left so many years ago, as if time had not passed. And the result is magical.

HDTVPolska.

The formula of the game does not differ from its predecessors and in 2019 it still has its unique charm . This is a game with a thoroughly Japanese pedigree, and this type of productions are quite popular on both PS4 and PC (it is currently appearing on these platforms).

----------

ORIGINAL POST

On the 17th, Koch Media held an extensive Shenmue III preview event across its European offices for press.

Press had approximately two hours with version 1.02 of the game (backer trial was 0.90), and it appears like they were playing on PS4 units. Bare in mind that two hours in is not spectacularly deep into the full game and only features the first area - Bailu Village.

The event doesn't appear to have long ended, so impressions and write-ups will be following in the coming days. HobbyConsolas will apparently have a full article up tomorrow, but here are brief impressions:

English translation courtesy of Kyo_JP from Shenmue Dojo:

- They have played something around a little bit more than an hour
- He said that the game does not look half cooked anymore as in previous versions
- He liked the art direction and the warm colours used
- He claim a lack of transition between expressions felt a little bit robotic
- He said that they start after the ending of Shenmue 2 but does not give any datails
- Playability closer to Shenmue 1 due to the asking NPCs for stuff
- He like the minigames
- A lot of attention to fighting, training and kung fu

More news as it breaks.

Last edited:

IronicSonic

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's finally here :D

Looking forward next previews, Thanks Spaghetti!

OP
OP
Spaghetti

Spaghetti

Dec 2, 2017
While we're waiting for more info to drop, seems one of the press snagged an off-screen image. There was one more from another account but the exposure was so blown out there's not much point sharing:

It's the inside of Shenhua's house, which has undergone a few changes to the layout since Shenmue II. Notably, Shenhua and her father now have separate rooms; and Ryo has co-opted one following the ending of Shenmue II.

EDIT:

Honestly, screens - let alone ones off a TV taken with a phone - don't do this game justice.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Spaghetti

Spaghetti

Dec 2, 2017
I like this point. It made sense that they went that route for Shenmue 2, but since most people just guided you to places I didn't have much reason to talk to them.
This is why I included the disclaimer about the preview only covering Bailu Village, because it's not going to be necessarily true throughout the whole game.

The source of the quote eludes me, but at some point Yu Suzuki said Bailu is meant to evoke a feeling like the original Shenmue game, whereas Niaowu is much more like Shenmue II. It's kind of marrying both experiences of the originals within a single game, but obviously with the better systems of Shenmue II developed and further fleshed out.

In any case, another interview revealed that the mechanic of following NPCs from Shenmue II is gone, but there's some kind of replacement where you can get directions from Shenhua. It wasn't elaborated on much, so I'm not sure exactly how it's implemented. NPCs can dynamically point in the direction of places you're supposed to go, though. There's not too much risk of getting lost.

Efejota

Mar 13, 2018
This is why I included the disclaimer about the preview only covering Bailu Village, because it's not going to be necessarily true throughout the whole game.

The source of the quote eludes me, but at some point Yu Suzuki said Bailu is meant to evoke a feeling like the original Shenmue game, whereas Niaowu is much more like Shenmue II. It's kind of marrying both experiences of the originals within a single game, but obviously with the better systems of Shenmue II developed and further fleshed out.

In any case, another interview revealed that the mechanic of following NPCs from Shenmue II is gone, but there's some kind of replacement where you can get directions from Shenhua. It wasn't elaborated on much, so I'm not sure exactly how it's implemented. NPCs can dynamically point in the direction of places you're supposed to go, though. There's not too much risk of getting lost.
I was expecting something like that, yeah. More character interactions the smaller the area.

I wonder what the general consensus will be on Shenhua. We didn't have her for long before, but she seems to be a permanent companion on the adventure for this and the following games. We don't know how she'll mix with the rest of the Shenmue 2 cast either.

OP
OP
Spaghetti

Spaghetti

Dec 2, 2017
Some new info dropped overnight. Here's the roundup:

Shenmue III now has a brand new Japanese website, which includes new character renders and an interview with Yu Suzuki about the series story (English subtitles pending). It also might be multi-part, so potentially more video is on the way on the road to release.

Previously unseen looks at Lan Di and the shrine maiden:

chara03_img.png

chara06_img.png

Some screencaps of new footage from the Yu Suzuki interview:

y2mate.com-_tzbzvmsxro9jcw.png

y2mate.com-_tzbzvmsxrxlk6w.png

y2mate.com-_tzbzvmsxrryj6r.png

y2mate.com-_tzbzvmsxrwijp9.png

Shenmue III is also going to be playable on PS4 at EGX Berlin:

And there's a new Japan-only t-shirt.

----------

Keeping an eye out for previews from yesterday's event, as they should start dropping any time now.

ianpm31

Oct 27, 2017
The info is really starting to pick up now that we are a month away. This game has come a long way it looks so good.

OP
OP
Spaghetti

Spaghetti

Dec 2, 2017
Impressions trickling in.

From IGN Spain (summary provided by Kyo_JP from Shenmue Dojo):

- You have to wait to a certain time for something to happen like in I & II. Time Skip option confirmed
- They start from the beginning, arriving to Bailu to discover that some thugs has been assaulting houses
- They loved the turtle race minigame
- They complain about the Stamina System and also about the menu navigation, they said it is outdated
- Remarkable graphic improvements to previous versions
- High points visuals in the lighting and environments. Also they said that the transitions between animations are still not fluid but much better than before.
- They complain about the shot composition being "old style" (assuming this means the wide FOV during regular gameplay?) but you can see pretty panoramic views with them
- They seems to like the English dub
- They highlight through the article that it is an slow pace game that will satisfy old fans, they also said that the combat system is challenging

My own emphasis on the parts highlighted. All sounds good to me!

Letters

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
Hoping some previews start coming in from people who played the demo so they can skip old info from that and focus on the new stuff and maybe improvements over the demo.

edit-
oh snap, Nozomi phone call in that new screen

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
I'd like to hear more about why they didn't like the stamina, that's still one of my concerns for the final game (as it didn't really feel needed when just exploring).
Otherwise all sounds great, not long now.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Cool, Playstation Access is a decent channel, so I'm glad to see them streaming the game :) Its nice seeing all these Shenmue details rolling out over the last couple of months, makes me excited to start my replay of 1&2 shortly.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
What's interesting in that footage for me, assuming its PS4 footage and not PC footage with a DS4, is that you can tell that the flowers, foliage etc. are take from the PC "high/ultra" settings. Which is good news, because I was worried they might par it back for the console to "medium" settings. Looking forward to seeing more.

Ryo Hazuki

Oct 25, 2017
What's interesting in that footage for me, assuming its PS4 footage and not PC footage with a DS4, is that you can tell that the flowers, foliage etc. are take from the PC "high/ultra" settings. Which is good news, because I was worried they might par it back for the console to "medium" settings. Looking forward to seeing more.

All these previews are from PS4 Pro consoles going by what was shown in tweets.

OP
OP
Spaghetti

Spaghetti

Dec 2, 2017
Mea Culpa, the EGX London stream is actually happening tomorrow rather than today. Pretty fitting considering tomorrow marks a month until the release!

They were playing on PS4 units going by some of the photos from the demo rooms. I'm pretty impressed! It holds up quite well to the backer trial on PC on very high settings, and the framerate seems stable too (not sure if there's any info whether it was running at 30 or 60).

There are rumblings the PC version may have additional graphics options on release, but that's mainly stuff pulled from data-mining the trial version.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
All these previews are from PS4 Pro consoles going by what was shown in tweets.
That's what I figured. Bodes well for the final release, it looks fantastic. Wonder if I can get through Shenmue 1&2 in just 1 month... should be possible!

Mea Culpa, the EGX London stream is actually happening tomorrow rather than today. Pretty fitting considering tomorrow marks a month until the release!

They were playing on PS4 units going by some of the photos from the demo rooms. I'm pretty impressed! It holds up quite well to the backer trial on PC on very high settings, and the framerate seems stable too (not sure if there's any info whether it was running at 30 or 60).

There are rumblings the PC version may have additional graphics options on release, but that's mainly stuff pulled from data-mining the trial version.
Yeah, granted its off screen footage but from this and a couple of the shots shown yesterday its looking sharp. I can see PC having more options at launch though. I'm guessing the FPS on PS4 (Pro) will be 30FPS though. If its above that I'd be very impressed and pleased!

Ebtesam

Self-Requested Ban
Apr 1, 2018
Time Skip is what i want....

but i'll wait till next year to play it

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
I'm actually wondering if it might be 60 on PS4 Pro y'know. It looks very smooth in the footage we've had, especially when the camera pans around.
It could happen. I wouldn't put it past Yu to manage it that's for sure. I've played enough current engine Yakuza games to know 30FPS will be fine for me, but I'd be overjoyed if it is indeed 60FPS on the Pro.

OP
OP
Spaghetti

Spaghetti

Dec 2, 2017
Is it me or did they really tighten up on the hit reaction physics? It looks much better in this video compared to the trial.
I'm with you, it looks faster and more reactive than combat in the backer trial - which I was already pretty satisfied with. This is just gravy.

Speed-wise it's actually reminding me a lot of how quick Shenmue II could be in fights.

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017

Very High setting from the option menu seems to be borked in the trial.
The only way to get Very High settings is to go through the ini file.

OP
OP
Spaghetti

Spaghetti

Dec 2, 2017
Very High setting from the option menu seems to be borked in the trial.
The only way to get Very High settings is to go through the ini file.
Oh really? Glad I poked around in it the other day then. Biggest differences was vegetation rendering out at further distances.

What's your take on the PS4 Pro footage in the previews? Looks like it's holding up well to the PC version.

OP
OP
Spaghetti

Spaghetti

Dec 2, 2017
Seems some of the combat footage in the Hobby Consolas article is running at 60fps in their video player. Might be 60 on PS4 Pro after all then...?

Summary of the article, again, courtesy of Kyo_JP:

- Both in the video and article they said that the game has reached Gold status (also implied that patches are a possibility)
- They played in the Koch Media office in Madrid for about 1 hour
- Final scene of Shenmue II recreated with the new engine
- Similar investigation feeling like in Shenmue I. Also highlight that you need Shenhua help to characters to open up to Ryo
- Also related to Shenmue I is the similar small environment and NPC routines
- You can Press the Triangle button to open a option to move to a specific time and location if you don't want to wait to move the story on (In the video they implied that using that option will consume a lot stamina)
- Combat system is more fluid than in I & II, also more demanding because we have to increase the Kung Fu level (Description of how to do it)
- The Diary is more intuitive than in previous games. One Tab for the map, One for the Main Story, One for Secondary missions, for example
- UI and UX more fluid, the UI buttons in the top right corner are very clear when you need to do an action
- They ask themselves the question of what about the tech aspect, the big controversy in months past:
* The project does not have the resources to be an AAA game, but it is a beautiful game, specially on the scenarios and they praise the artistic direction.
* Irregular quality in character models. Ryo Hazuki has improved a lot from the previous years pictures and now match what they expected to look like. Other characters are not that "believable" as one could expect. The lighting and warm colours can generate controversy among some users that can say that the art approach is not realistic.
* They love the old people models. Facial expression is also irregular. Robotic movements.
- Conclusion: A very elegant experience, actual Shenmue Style, what can seem dated for some people and also drive nostalgia for others.

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017
Oh really? Glad I poked around in it the other day then. Biggest differences was vegetation rendering out at further distances.

What's your take on the PS4 Pro footage in the previews? Looks like it's holding up well to the PC version.

That's an educated guess based on the settings indeed. Low is 1, Medium is 2, High is 3, Very High si supposed to be 4. But it seems like when you put at Very High, the settings file shows every setting at 3. Only changing manually to 4 makes a change. As for the footage, I made a comparison with a screenshot from IGN.
PS4 screenshot from IGN.es article:
unknown.png

PC Medium:
unknown.png

PC High:
unknown.png

PC "Very High":
unknown.png

PC Very High via ini file change:
unknown.png

OP
OP
Spaghetti

Spaghetti

Dec 2, 2017
Not bad at all. Shenmue III obviously isn't the most pixel-pushing game out there but playing on PS4 Pro should provide a pretty good experience; especially if it's running at 60fps like we're speculating.

AwesomeSauce

Oct 25, 2017
I'll be curious to see the differences between base PS4 and Pro. Curious on the resolution and framerate.

i was able to run the backer demo on a Phenom II and gtx 570 with medium settings. Game ran well enough there. i also tested it with a Phenom II and gtx 780 where i was able to hit a solid 60 on High 1080p.

From the screens above, it looks like the PS4 is running on the high settings. Very High looks like it ups the LOD based on those trees.

Maligna

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I'd like to hear more about why they didn't like the stamina, that's still one of my concerns for the final game (as it didn't really feel needed when just exploring).
Otherwise all sounds great, not long now.

From playing the demo, it seems like a vicious cycle of unfun to me.

You need stamina to run and to fight, you need food to replenish that stamina, you need money to buy that food, you need to do jobs to earn that money.

Your stamina diminishes even when exploring. I'm not going to feel like I can take my time and explore the world at my own pace like the old games, lest I run out of stamina and get stuck back in the cycle.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
I don't mind doing jobs/gambling etc. to get the money for food, I know I'll do plenty of that anyway. But I do have some concerns over how it depletes as you run/explore, depending on how quickly it depletes it might really get to me. Or not be an issue. I'll have to play the game to get my own opinion on the issue.

OP
OP
Spaghetti

Spaghetti

Dec 2, 2017
Your stamina diminishes even when exploring. I'm not going to feel like I can take my time and explore the world at my own pace like the old games, lest I run out of stamina and get stuck back in the cycle.
Stamina depletes quite slowly when walking, and not tremendously fast while sprinting either. I also don't think it drops below three balls unless you start running. If you want to explore slowly there's nothing particularly stopping you (if anything it feels encouraged), just keep some stamina recovery items like caterpillar fungus in your inventory to recover if you want to train, fight, or whatever else.

A few exploratory trips around Bailu's fields will give you more than enough herbs to sell to buy plenty of stamina recovery items too, no need to do part time jobs for ages to earn the scratch. At least not in Bailu anyway.

EDIT: Just confirming, stamina doesn't drop at all once you've only got three balls left so long as you're walking. Explore to your heart's content, just top it up when you need to do something more than wander around.

I managed to walk from the vantage point to the sign at the far end of the village square and back on just slightly over one stamina ball. Stamina usage seemed only marginally higher when I sprinted the same lap too.

Last edited:

BadAss2961

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Might as well ask this here...

Have they offered confirmation yet on which version of the game backers want? If not, when will they?

Still listed for digital copy for PC or PS4.

OP
OP
Spaghetti

Spaghetti

Dec 2, 2017
Might as well ask this here...

Have they offered confirmation yet on which version of the game backers want? If not, when will they?

Still listed for digital copy for PC or PS4.
Yeah, surveys went out last year. Pretty sure people have had the ability to change their platform up until refunds began at the end of September.

Do you still have access to the email address you used to back the game?