• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

SnatcherHunter

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, surveys went out last year. Pretty sure people have had the ability to change their platform up until refunds began at the end of September.

Do you still have access to the email address you used to back the game?

Speaking of backers.
I personally backed a physical PS4 version. Do you know if I have to wait days after street release? Or do backers get the game on street date or even better.. before?

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Speaking of backers.
I personally backed a physical PS4 version. Do you know if I have to wait days after street release? Or do backers get the game on street date or even better.. before?
All down to the postal service and when dispatched. My backer copy of Bloodstained arrived before the street date, so it could happen. Or it could be weeks after (lets hope that's not the case!)

OP
OP
Spaghetti

Spaghetti

Dec 2, 2017
Speaking of backers.
shadowman16 more or less covered it.

Fangamer (who did also rewards fulfillment on Bloodstained) are going to try getting people their copies on time, but at lot of it is at the mercy of the postal services. I personally bought myself a little insurance by getting an additional digital copy for $29 when add-ons were available last year.

Wickio

Oct 28, 2017

Fangamer (who did also rewards fulfillment on Bloodstained) are going to try getting people their copies on time, but at lot of it is at the mercy of the postal services. I personally bought myself a little insurance by getting an additional digital copy for $29 when add-ons were available last year.
I'm in Japan until the 26th, so I'm selfishly hoping my delivery gets delayed so my parcel is less likely to get battered around at a post office depot somewhere.

Maligna

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Stamina depletes quite slowly when walking, and not tremendously fast while sprinting either. I also don't think it drops below three balls unless you start running. If you want to explore slowly there's nothing particularly stopping you (if anything it feels encouraged), just keep some stamina recovery items like caterpillar fungus in your inventory to recover if you want to train, fight, or whatever else.

A few exploratory trips around Bailu's fields will give you more than enough herbs to sell to buy plenty of stamina recovery items too, no need to do part time jobs for ages to earn the scratch. At least not in Bailu anyway.

EDIT: Just confirming, stamina doesn't drop at all once you've only got three balls left so long as you're walking. Explore to your heart's content, just top it up when you need to do something more than wander around.

I managed to walk from the vantage point to the sign at the far end of the village square and back on just slightly over one stamina ball. Stamina usage seemed only marginally higher when I sprinted the same lap too.

I'd still prefer stamina only deplete during fights.

SnatcherHunter

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
All down to the postal service and when dispatched. My backer copy of Bloodstained arrived before the street date, so it could happen. Or it could be weeks after (lets hope that's not the case!)

Thank you!! I suspect I will get a confirmation when it is shipped?

Tohsaka

Nov 17, 2017
Gonna go on media blackout after this I think, don't want to see any more than I already have since the release date is so close now.

Oct 30, 2017
Yah, I'm definitely slowing down on my exposure. They're going all out. Apparently they're gonna have a huge reveal at Magic Koyoto. The optimist in me says they're announcing Shenmue IV, but I'm guessing it's gonna be a final trailer and maybe a demo for the public.

ZeroCDR

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Whew, I've finally been bitten by the bug of realization that this is coming out VERY soon and looks like everything has actually shaped up quite nicely. I'm getting very excited. Backed a PS4 digital copy at the very beginning.

I started Shenmue HD this week, doing my best to get through both games before 3, I think I can do it. I haven't played these in a very, very long time, and I'm having so much fun with it. There just isn't an experience like Shenmue. The world is incredible and it has aged gracefully, the level of engagement and interactivity is still umatched by a lot of games today. Just a real treat, I feel like a kid at Christmas again.

Trace

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
It may seem petty, but them using a completely unmodified UE4 Marketplace prefab for their sky is messing with me a bit.

master15

Nov 28, 2017
Seeing all new footage, I think visually game is shaping up better than many of us could have expected from initial KS announcement. It appears the first part of third title is really going to be a continuation of Shenmue 2, with Shenhua being a constant companion and your interaction and dialogue with her effecting the affinity system and reputation with NPCs.

Letters

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
Ryo still looks and moves weird as hell but fuck it, one probably gets used to it fast when actually playing.

I'm so excited to get lost into this game.

Juice

Dec 28, 2017
I played the backer trial after enthusiastically paying for the kickstarter, but I really disliked it.

I didn't realize how much exploring and interacting in urban environments (and preferring Japan over Hong Kong) was the _real_ thing I liked about Shenmue. I was almost immediately bored by the village, and hearing that it's the main "city" like experience is a huge bummer.

Oh well

Oct 27, 2017
I started Shenmue HD this week, doing my best to get through both games before 3, I think I can do it. I haven't played these in a very, very long time, and I'm having so much fun with it. There just isn't an experience like Shenmue. The world is incredible and it has aged gracefully, the level of engagement and interactivity is still umatched by a lot of games today. Just a real treat, I feel like a kid at Christmas again.
I'm In the same boat. I started Shenmue 1 up again recently off of a save I've had since I stopped playing the PC version on release and oh my god. I forgot how much I loved this game. Time just flies by when I'm playing it and memories come flooding back and sometimes I get nostalgic tears in my eyes while playing it.

Very excited to get to Shenmue 2 when I'm done with the first one because I've still never played it yet. Have you found yourself discovering new places that you don't remember ever going into? It happened to me with a few of the shops that I have no memory of ever visiting. One was that travel agency with the extremely rude lady working there. She cracked me the fuck up with the way she was talking to Ryo. Wouldn't even let him get a word in before cutting him off with insults.

BadAss2961

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, surveys went out last year. Pretty sure people have had the ability to change their platform up until refunds began at the end of September.

Do you still have access to the email address you used to back the game?
Yeah... I took the survey back in June of last year. I Have the link to the fulfillment site and everything, but it just says that i'll get a digital copy for PC or PS4.

If that was the survey where you got to choose your platform, then I did sign up for a PC code. I just don't remember for sure.

ParsnipForest

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
Ryo still looks and moves weird as hell but fuck it, one probably gets used to it fast when actually playing.

I'm so excited to get lost into this game.
It isn't the most natural walk cycle, but I think it's a step up from his Dreamcast days. Shenmue I & II are my GOATs, but there's no denying Ryo's movement animation, while impressive for the time, was very "I've just shat my pants, don't mind me!"

I was almost immediately bored by the village, and hearing that it's the main "city" like experience is a huge bummer.

Oh well
You've heard wrong, my friend! The village is only the first area in the game. There are two more, one of which is a much bigger, traditional Chinese port town that's more reminiscent of Hong Kong in Shenmue II. The last area is a fortified castle.

ZeroCDR

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I'm In the same boat. I started Shenmue 1 up again recently off of a save I've had since I stopped playing the PC version on release and oh my god. I forgot how much I loved this game. Time just flies by when I'm playing it and memories come flooding back and sometimes I get nostalgic tears in my eyes while playing it.

Very excited to get to Shenmue 2 when I'm done with the first one because I've still never played it yet. Have you found yourself discovering new places that you don't remember ever going into? It happened to me with a few of the shops that I have no memory of ever visiting. One was that travel agency with the extremely rude lady working there. She cracked me the fuck up with the way she was talking to Ryo. Wouldn't even let him get a word in before cutting him off with insults.

Shenmue 2 is an equally amazing experience, you'll have a great time especially if you love the first game!

I'm definitely discovering new things, some maybe I just forgot about, but it's undeniable there's so much detail there's surely more I missed. And yeah, this dialogue can be og Resident Evil levels of incredible, it's hysterical some of the things these characters (try) to say with a straight face.

Tetra-Grammaton-Cleric

user requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I was a huge fan of the original 2 games back in the day and overall this looks like a labor of love but the fighting looks really, really poor.

My assumption is people don't care and rather will focus on the story and exploration but as somebody who really dug the combat in the earlier games, I'm disappointed it looks so stiff and dated, especially given the pedigree of Yu Suzuki.

breakYODAy

Oct 25, 2017
I was a huge fan of the original 2 games back in the day and overall this looks like a labor of love but the fighting looks really, really poor.

My assumption is people don't care and rather will focus on the story and exploration but as somebody who really dug the combat in the earlier games, I'm disappointed it looks so stiff and dated, especially given the pedigree of Yu Suzuki.

The combat is different but I actually enjoyed it during the demo, and that was my biggest question mark going in. I get the impression it's something that looks pretty raw and unrefined with Ryo at level 1, but gains more fluidity as he levels up his moveset.

ParsnipForest

Oct 27, 2017
Australia

It plays better than it looks, and because this is the very start of the game you're only seeing the weakest moves. The RPG hooks make the combat more interesting to me this time round.

Virtua Sanus

Nov 24, 2017
The combat grew on me somewhat, but yeah it is pretty easily the big thing in the demo that I did not love. The hit detection in it is just awful and it looks so goofy. There absolutely a strategy involved in it and once you recognize the nuances it does feel a lot better, but I think it and the faces will be what reviewers trash the most.

Letters

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
Shenmue 2 is an equally amazing experience, you'll have a great time especially if you love the first game!

I'm definitely discovering new things, some maybe I just forgot about, but it's undeniable there's so much detail there's surely more I missed. And yeah, this dialogue can be og Resident Evil levels of incredible, it's hysterical some of the things these characters (try) to say with a straight face.
Been replaying the Shenmues to get ready and just recently started Shenmue 2 and it's been an amazing experience because unlike with Shenmue 1 that I remember what happened during it, for some reason I remember very little from Shenmue 2 so it feels very fresh. They really nailed this game, all the small upgrades in all aspects of the game really adds to the experience, how they pushed everything further, and the feeling of exploring this overwhelming foreign urban place away from home after having an entire first game in a cozy familiar area where everyone knew you, is just spot on. Goddamit, gaming was robbed of something really special these past 20 years, hopefully Yu gets to finish it this time.

OP
OP
Spaghetti

Spaghetti

Dec 2, 2017
Hit detection and speed has been improved from the backer trial build, going by the Hobby Consolas video. Actually it's been incrementally getting better since E3, so they're paying attention to the critique and working hard to polish the game.

Also would recommend playing it over just watching it on a stream, doesn't even remotely have the same tactile feeling than when you have a pad in your hand doing it yourself. There's a surprising amount of depth in there to be found even in such a brief snapshot of the game, and dare I say it now feels a bit... Soulsy? Only in so much that it's rewarding to understand attack patterns more than simply using twitch controls to get by; but even still Ryo's updated maneuverability and the new block system help playing like that if you really want to.

Considering they built the whole combat system from scratch - along with everything else they had to design and make - it's actually a really sterling effort with a lot more thought into it than you might expect. Even the original games had a fully fledged combat system in the Virtua Fighter engine to use as a base, and it was still flawed in areas that Shenmue III's combat actually goes a long way to remedy.

I've got a mad 31 hours clocked in the backer trial, and honestly? I go back for the combat more than I thought I would.

And hey, at least it's not yet another Batman-lite melee combat system.

Another solid preview for the pile.

OP
OP
Spaghetti

Spaghetti

Dec 2, 2017
Yeah... I took the survey back in June of last year. I Have the link to the fulfillment site and everything, but it just says that i'll get a digital copy for PC or PS4.

If that was the survey where you got to choose your platform, then I did sign up for a PC code. I just don't remember for sure.
You can go to the fulfillment site via the link they sent in the survey email and should be able to check what you pledged for.

ianpm31

Oct 27, 2017
I have a slight feeling we're going to see a slice of a story sequence today. Talk to QTE to fight thugs to maybe boss fight? Maybe asking for too much but we'll see

J2C

Oct 26, 2017
Lucky hit physics look noticeably better. Lip sync and fighting seem to have gotten a bit of polish as well.

Still wish we had some darker colors on Ryo's jacket and things. His lip sync could use some of the polish the NPC's seem to have gotten as well. And wouldn't mind some different walk cycle animation, but don't expect that

I would say shenmue 1's walk wasn't great, except I felt like it rigidity matched Ryo's character's discipline about training, listening to his father, kneeling at the dojo, etc. This one doesn't really lend itself to character, just feels awkward. Too fast at times, and not right

Oct 30, 2017
It may seem petty, but them using a completely unmodified UE4 Marketplace prefab for their sky is messing with me a bit.
Not that I think it really matters, but could you show me where you can buy the sky box on UE4 marketplace? I couldn't find it when I looked.

Isn't the purpose of the marketplace to make inconsequential things like the skybox easy or affordable to implement anyway? The game was on a tight budget.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Spaghetti

Spaghetti

Dec 2, 2017
I personally prefer Ryo's walk over games with higher animation priority, because they tend to either control like you're on ice or are turning a cruise liner around. Ryo moves about as well as he should in a game with a lot of free roaming exploration through open spaces and close quarters. There's weight in the movement, but you can navigate with precision.

It's just a walk.

-----

Anyway, three hour warning for the stream from EGX at 6pm BST.

GobHoblin

Oct 27, 2017
I also have a physical PS4 backer copy. I'd be surprised if I'm playing the game launch day- which would kinda be a huge FU to backers.

I can't seem to find any information where they've said "we'll try and ship for launch" or anything.

OP
OP
Spaghetti

Spaghetti

Dec 2, 2017
I can't seem to find any information where they've said "we'll try and ship for launch" or anything.
Unless this is your first Kickstarter and you're feeling antsy about it, it usually goes without saying that copies will be shipped before the retail release.

If you want absolute written confirmation though, there will be an update in the coming weeks to notify about the shipping period and how long backers have left to make any address changes on their surveys.

Trace

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Not that I think it really matters, but could you show me where you can buy the sky box on UE4 marketplace? I couldn't find it when I looked.

Isn't the purpose of the marketplace to make inconsequential things like the skybox easy or affordable to implement anyway? The game was on a tight budget.

https://www.unrealengine.com/marketplace/en-US/slug/ultra-dynamic-sky

I've used it for some projects before. Easiest way to tell is the moon texture is exactly the same.

Deleted member 10747

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I also have a physical PS4 backer copy. I'd be surprised if I'm playing the game launch day- which would kinda be a huge FU to backers.

After there new "partners" they don't really seem to care about backers....so It's best if you just prepare yourself that you're not going to play the game at launch. It prepares you for disappointment.

Me personally, I expect to get it somewhere in December.

ianpm31

Oct 27, 2017
After there new "partners" they don't really seem to care about backers....so It's best if you just prepare yourself that you're not going to play the game at launch. It prepares you for disappointment.

Me personally I expect to get it somewhere in December.
Got my backer trial after "partners" in which showed they care. Receiving your copy late isn't exactly a rarity from KS projects. I would know that as a bloodstained backer

Deleted member 10747

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Got my backer trial after "partners" in which showed they care. Receiving your copy late isn't exactly a rarity from KS projects. I would know that as a bloodstained backer
I'm tired so i don't really understand what your trying to say but ehm okay? Also shouldn't we have gotten the trial before everyone else? But whatever, I personally already am not counting on anything and just let it happen.

ianpm31

Oct 27, 2017
I'm tired so i don't really understand what your trying to say but ehm okay? Also shouldn't we have gotten the trial before everyone else? But whatever, I personally already am not counting on anything and just let it happen.
I don't expect to receive my KS copy on day 1 but hey you never know.

Iwao

Oct 25, 2017
HOW DID I MISS THIS THREAD!

It's a goldmine of new info. 👀

- Final scene of Shenmue II recreated with the new engine
tenor.gif

Last edited:
OP
OP
Spaghetti

Spaghetti

Dec 2, 2017
After there new "partners" they don't really seem to care about backers....
Nah, this is bullshit.

If you don't agree with some inconvenient business and marketing decisions that came with including a publisher into the mix (in order to create a bigger and better game for ALL backers), fine. But saying they don't care is an absolute fucking lie from top to bottom, and gives excuses to awful people to routinely abuse Yu Suzuki and Ys Net.

J75

Sep 29, 2018
Seeing 60FPS on PS4 (Pro im guessing) is surprising. Expected 30FPS. Wonder what the resolution will be.