• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Kida

Oct 27, 2017
Shenmue III was shown off to select attendees and gaming outlets in a 15 minute gameplay demonstration at MAGIC Monaco over the weekend and articles are beginning to show up online.

I'll update this thread as new articles are posted.

VG247: https://www.vg247.com/2019/03/12/shenmue-3-preview-gameplay/

Past trailers have showcased story sequences and offered tiny glimpses of Ryo and Shenhua's adventures that have invited criticism: weird animation, iffy character models, a more exaggerated art style. In motion it makes sense, however, and it actually looks pretty good.

In places there's a strange disparity. The environments are gorgeous, making use of the rendering chops of Unreal Engine 4 to great effect. Shenmue is all about the passage of time, so as the sun races through the sky, light filters through trees and rural Chinese buildings down to ground level in a beautiful manner. It also shoots for a high level of detail: if it rains, previously dry ground might turn to a muddy mush and so on.

One thing that's changed, Suzuki says, is that shops will now be more plentiful in Shenmue 3 and stock a far wider range of items. He explained that in past games there were fewer stores but you could have longer, in-depth conversations with their owners. In this game, owners aren't as fleshed out but the shops themselves are.

It's actually very different: the shop I see has an inventory screen where you can scroll through items and a range of things to buy. Prices will vary based on location, reflecting economics, and you'll need different items to feed, heal and buff yourself. If a player wants to be sensible with their money, Suzuki suggests that they remember where certain items are cheapest and travel to buy.

The video game industry is reaching that sort of age where nostalgic revivals are becoming ever-more common. Usually this takes the form of slick, modestly-budgeted titles in the style of classic games, like a Sonic Mania or Mega Man 11. Other times it takes the form of a big-budget remake, modern in every sense while evoking the fondly-remembered classic – Resident Evil 2 or Final Fantasy 7 (if it ever comes out). Shenmue 3 appears to occupy an as-yet mostly untouched space: a halfway house between the two. It's far more ambitious than other retro revival projects of this type, devoted to accuracy to the original era – and that excitingly means it really does feel like a late nineties/early noughties Sega title – warts and all. That won't be for everyone, but in terms of accomplishing its stated mission, Shenmue 3 looks to be on track.

IGN Japan (English version coming soon): https://jp.ign.com/shenmue-3/33819/preview/iii

• Area as large as Hong Kong from Shenmue II
  • Turtle and frog racing mini-games
  • There are over 500 NPCs. Not all are able to be interacted with (names will appear on-screen for those that can be interacted with).
  • More in-depth conversations.
  • More recorded dialog than previous games
  • Camera can be rotated 360-degrees around Ryo with the right stick.
  • Can walk around in first-person to examine objects.
  • Realistic weather. If it rains in the morning then puddles will remain throughout the day.
  • Can individually change Ryo's outfit parts (Shirt, pants, shoes etc.)
  • Considering adding additional costumes for Ren & Shenhua via DLC.
  • Train and compete in different dojos and rise through the ranks.
  • Four difficulty levels.
  • "Manual Transmission" & "Automatic Transmission" fighting options for differently skilled players.
  • No supernatural elements.

GameBlog.fr: http://www.gameblog.fr/interview_1196_shenmue-3-notre-interview-de-yu-suzuki-au-magic-2019

• The game is "complete". The work remaining is "tuning, debugging and upgrading".
  • No SEGA Arcade games but "other games"
  • Forklifts reconfirmed.
  • "No comment" on whether Shenhua is playable. (It has been discussed before now that Shenhua & Ren would be playable at certain points)
  • Reconfirms the backer demo is coming.

Last edited:

Deleted member 51789

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 9, 2019
Previews I've read so far have put me at ease with things - I think as long as people understand this isn't going to be the big budget bonanza that the first two games were and keep their expectations in check, I think it could be received quite well. Still quite a niche title though, so I don't expect it to set the sales world alight.

Oct 27, 2017
I had little to no doubt in Yu Suzuki capable hands and this VG247 preview just confirms it.

Reading it was a blast and really soothing for my heart. :)

Ryo Hazuki

Oct 25, 2017
the shop I see has an inventory screen where you can scroll through items and a range of things to buy.

Damn. I liked picking up items off the shelf manually. This seems more like a Yakuza approach especially with the food effects.

Besides this everything sounds great and I can't wait to play.

Slacker247

Oct 27, 2017
No supernatural stuff!? Bye bye hadouken Ryo from Shenmue Online haha.

I like the MT and AT descriptors for the battles. I guess Capcom already did it though with Easy Automatic for their DMC games.

MilkBeard

Oct 25, 2017
Sounds pretty good to me. I hope they allow us the chance to train and advance moves whenever we want, and that there is a difficulty to match that development. It actually sounds like they are delivering this, since you can train at different places, and they have included difficulty levels.

I kind of like the 'halfway retro' idea proposed in the VG247 article.

Gelf

Oct 27, 2017
These articles are making it sound better than I ever hoped for when I backed it.

I like the idea of manual vs automatic fighting options. Hopefully that means they can go extra fighting game like in manual but still be accessible to people who don't like fighters in auto.

ianpm31

Oct 27, 2017
This all sounds pretty good. Always have faith in Yu Suzuki. There is no game out on the market that is like Shenmue.

MonsterJail

Self requested temp ban
Banned
Feb 27, 2018
'Can individually change Ryo's outfit parts (Shirt, pants, shoes etc.)'

Wonder if you'll always have to wear the iconic Jacket™, but can change everything else

ParsnipForest

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
Triple-A this is not – but Shenmue 3 also knows it, rolls with it, and makes it work.

So good to read this. Ambition > production values. Sounds like they've made some smart decisions along the way.

Spaghetti

Dec 2, 2017
All sounds great to me. What they've been able to do on a modest budget is very encouraging, and solid proof a AA-tier Shenmue can work.

I really hope there is some kind of arcade in it.
I got you covered:

20180816-s3_screenshootjl8.jpg

AgonyRon

Nov 27, 2017
All sounds great to me. What they've been able to do on a modest budget is very encouraging, and solid proof a AA-tier Shenmue can work.

I got you covered:

20180816-s3_screenshootjl8.jpg
Wow, thank you very much. Now i need to save money for a Playstation, because there won't be much Shenmue 3 on my X. But it seems it is gonna be worth it.

Watch out Landi Di, we are all coming for ya!

higemaru

Nov 30, 2017
This sounds so good. Halfway-retro sounds up my alley. Excited to hear that Ren is coming back, was that known or always assumed?

Spaghetti

Dec 2, 2017
Sounds like pawn shops are back too, from the IGN Japan preview. This is based on Google translate though, won't be sure until the English version drops.

This sounds so good. Halfway-retro sounds up my alley. Excited to hear that Ren is coming back, was that known or always assumed?
Always known. Yu kind of casually dropped that detail years back. Did you not see him in a recent screenshot either?

dzzazstxcaa2dvkn9jkz.jpg

Iwao

Oct 25, 2017
I'm liking what I'm hearing. Shenmue III didn't ever need to be *in the voice of Jim Sterling*... Triple-A.

Sounds like they're delivering an authentic Shenmue game with more than enough of a modern touch on the budget they have.

No supernatural elements.
Is that the same as "mystical" elements?

higemaru

Nov 30, 2017
Sounds like pawn shops are back too, from the IGN Japan preview. This is based on Google translate though, won't be sure until the English version drops.

Always known. Yu kind of casually dropped that detail years back. Did you not see him in a recent screenshot either?

dzzazstxcaa2dvkn9jkz.jpg
No, I've missed a bit of pre-release stuff if I didn't catch it here. I always do like a half media blackout but I really want to get a copy of that EDGE Shenmue issue. Ren looks good, his hips don't lie.

Oct 30, 2017
I expect more than a few people to be disappointed you can't talk to every NPC and will have to miss out on lines like, "Sorry, I can't talk right now," but if cutting that out helps the team make a better game, have at it.

Last edited:

Spaghetti

Dec 2, 2017
I expect more than a few people to be disappointed you can't talk to every NPC and miss out on lines like, "Sorry, I can't talk right now," but if cutting that out helps the team make a better game, have at it.
It sounds like an appropriate trade-off to me, personally. Given the enhancements elsewhere, it seems like Yu & his team knew what to cut and what to keep pretty handily.

ParsnipForest

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
I expect more than a few people to be disappointed you can't talk to every NPC and miss out on lines like, "Sorry, I can't talk right now," but if cutting that out helps the team make a better game, have at it.
I'm sorry...can you reply to someone else right now? I'm busy.

...yeah, can't say I'm that upset about it. It's worth it if it means dense streets and...y'know, makes Shenmue III possible.

Spaghetti

Dec 2, 2017
Oh, and IGN Japan had a bit more detail about how the Automatic Transmission setting for combat worked. It's basically the auto-move from the original games in that it's set to a trigger (R2), but you can select five at a time and switch between them with R1.

ParsnipForest

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
Oh, and IGN Japan had a bit more detail about how the Automatic Transmission setting for combat worked. It's basically the auto-move from the original games in that it's set to a trigger (R2), but you can select five at a time and switch between them with R1.
If you use that mode, I wonder how you know which move you have selected...maybe it's just displayed as text down the bottom...or wasn't there a mini Ryo model in the UI in that combat screenshot? Could be misremembering. To be honest, cycling through more than 2 moves using R1 sounds cumbersome...but it's probably something you can train your brain to do while pulling off other moves. Not sure I'd set more than 2 though.

OP
OP
Kida

Kida

Oct 27, 2017
If you use that mode, I wonder how you know which move you have selected...maybe it's just displayed as text down the bottom...or wasn't there a mini Ryo model in the UI in that combat screenshot? Could be misremembering. To be honest, cycling through more than 2 moves using R1 sounds cumbersome...but it's probably something you can train your brain to do while pulling off other moves. Not sure I'd set more than 2 though.

The name appears at the bottom of the screen in addition to displaying the manual button commands.

D1NfVLHWwAEJLzt.jpg:large

Oct 28, 2017
So I bought the Shenmue I+II Remaster on PC, never played these games before. I heard there was some sound issues but the latest patch says it fixed the audio. Are these remasters now in good shape or do you need to use some mods or anything like that?

Miamiwesker

Oct 25, 2017
Miami
Uhh so the end of shenmue 2 is erased, cause that was absolutely supernatural elements. Wonder how they will handle that.

Oct 30, 2017
I assume he's not gonna give away any key plot devices in a little demonstration. I seem to recall Shenhua causing explosions in a very early trailer; perhaps a Project Berkeley trailer?

ParsnipForest

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
So I bought the Shenmue I+II Remaster on PC, never played these games before. I heard there was some sound issues but the latest patch says it fixed the audio. Are these remasters now in good shape or do you need to use some mods or anything like that?
They're solid ports now. The only thing you're likely to notice is the low quality of the voices in Shenmue 1 (English is worse than Japanese), but they were always low quality. I think there's a mod that improves it slightly but honestly, I haven't bothered. If you want a more immersive experience play in Japanese where the quality is mostly fine. Play in English if you want weird/quirky.

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
Noticed the hype cycle was spinning up for 3 so I decided to get through 2 before the meaty stuff starts coming. Played the series for the first time last year and am really surprised at how much depth and nuance these 20 year old games have, its astonishing really

Metalgus

Oct 27, 2017
So it seems combat will play a bigger role in III. I really liked the combat in II, but there was so few of it, plus you couldn't train. I really hoped we would eventually see the demo they showed at MAGIC. But we'll see more in the coming months for sure, the game won't go dark again for 6 months.

Zor

Oct 30, 2017
Anyone know how the console versions of 1 & 2 are these days after the various patches? I played through them both at launch last year on Xbox One but only really remember crushes blacks being the biggest issue for me. Defo going to replay before III comes out but wondering if PC is the best version now?

StereoVSN

Nov 1, 2017
Eastern US
Everything I have seen so far looks great. This is at "AA or just single A" level, higher than usual indie but much lower vs AAA. Scope vs graphics is certainly good decision.

Getting some nostalgic vibes from the previews. Can't wait for release and hopefully PC version will still be on Steam.

Spaghetti

Dec 2, 2017
Anyone know how the console versions of 1 & 2 are these days after the various patches? I played through them both at launch last year on Xbox One but only really remember crushes blacks being the biggest issue for me. Defo going to replay before III comes out but wondering if PC is the best version now?
PC version is the way to go. Not sure if crushed blacks were "fixed" fixed, but there's a gamma slider now I believe.

So I never finished Shenmue II, are the remakes any good? any quality of life improvements or are they just remastered ports?
Largely the same games as they were on release with an alternative control scheme, dual audio, a new UI, etc.

Oct 28, 2017
They're solid ports now. The only thing you're likely to notice is the low quality of the voices in Shenmue 1 (English is worse than Japanese), but they were always low quality. I think there's a mod that improves it slightly but honestly, I haven't bothered. If you want a more immersive experience play in Japanese where the quality is mostly fine. Play in English if you want weird/quirky.
Thank you, sounds good! I'll definitely play with Japanese audio.

Oct 25, 2017
I'll echo some others and say no supernatural elements kind of leaves the ending of Shenmue II in a bit of a pickle, unless I'm misremembering it.

Gelf

Oct 27, 2017
I'll echo some others and say no supernatural elements kind of leaves the ending of Shenmue II in a bit of a pickle, unless I'm misremembering it.
This is from impressions of a 15min gameplay trailer, a supernatural element that happened in a cutscene doesnt immediately translate to Ryo gaining the ablity to throw fireballs or whatever. Anything supernatural would be major plot points which wouldn't be spoiled yet and certainly not something visible in general gameplay.