• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 27, 2017
Fextralife: 7.1/10

HobbyConsolas - 80/100

SegmentNext - 7/10

Polygon: no score

Video Games Chronicles: 4/5

IGN Japan: 9/10

Eurogamer: Recommended

And all these years later, it makes for an entry that, as unlikely as it is, is more finessed and fully-featured than the first two entries. A more astute critic might point out that the performances are uneven, the character models sometimes look wayward, you're kind of limited as to what you can do and nothing of note really happens. That's not me, I'm afraid. Yes, Shenmue 3 can look and play like a Dreamcast game. But it looks and plays like a Dreamcast game that's as off-kilter, maddening, magical and majestic as the original Shenmue games, both all-time classics. I think there's good reason to rejoice in that.

Hey PoorPlayer: 5/5

Shenmue III is for anyone who looks back on Dreamcast and PS2-era games fondly. It's for anyone who loves semi-realistic RPGs or who wants something new in a world full of dungeon-crawlers, post-apocalyptic wanderers, or space cowboys. For anyone who thinks there's a wealth of untapped potential in the not-too-distant past when it comes to storytelling. Who romanticizes the mundane in the same way Miyazaki movies capture the magic in minutiae. Who grew up in 1987 Japan, Hong Kong, or China and wants to walk familiar roads. Who loves the 80s. Who loves martial arts. Who loves Asia. Who loves video games as a whole.

Gameblog: 7/10 + Editor's Choice

No need to lie to each other, and even if Yu Suzuki and company would like to create new vocations, Shenmue III is a game that is primarily aimed at fans of the first two episodes. The others will certainly have trouble overcoming a very Dreamcastian gameplay and various technical problems (which will clearly not bother the fans). Despite the different development conditions from those of the first two games twenty years ago, the shift from an AAA with an unprecedented budget to an AA funded largely by Kickstarter has been made, Yu Suzuki has tried to compromise his vision as little as possible. The authenticity of the experience and its fidelity to what Shenmue was on Dreamcast makes Shenmue III a success. The immersion and pleasure are immediate and the player plunges back into Ryo's adventures as if Shenmue II had been released last year. So much so, that it is difficult to put the controller down once the game has started. People who are sensitive to the first two games can therefore darken with their eyes closed, and they certainly did not wait for this test to do so. Some novices fascinated by Asia and martial arts may also find it interesting. In any case, Shenmue III recalls the quality of the epic imagined by Yu Suzuki and, as it was 18 years ago, leaves only one desire, that of discovering what will happen next. All we have to do now is hope that Shenmue IV will be released before 2037.

Jeuxvideo.com: 10/20

Shenmue III seemed to be mainly intended for fans. In reality, Shenmue 3 is intended exclusively for fans and the curious and irreducible. Yu Suzuki manages to find what made his saga a unique work and to propose a contemplative approach to the adventure game. A gentle poetic breeze imbued with freedom runs through a story whose staging is too uninspired. The few attempts to modernize a formula that has been in existence for twenty years have been unsuccessful. The tactical combat system, however tactical it may be, convinces only partially, without forgetting the imbalance created by this constant need for money, which causes a persistent feeling of frustration. Shenmue 3 is an anachronistic work that is incapable of extricating itself from the grip of a distant past.

Gamekult: 5/10 + Reviewer's Choice

We are moved in different ways when we play Shenmue III. Depending on your investment, whether in money or passion, you may feel angry or relieved. This episode manages to evoke its predecessors while doing worse, on all levels. The emotion of the reunion is there, even if the economic and technical pragmatism once again catches up with the series. Sad to see that most of the additions to the basic mechanics are simply appalling. But Yu Suzuki can be credited with at least that: he understands the essence of his game perfectly and has not made it evolve one iota, he who was so far ahead of his time in 1999, and so anachronistic twenty years later. Always ready, Ryô Hazuki still spends all his adventure without the shadow of an emotion, quite the opposite of those who left touching little words in the Kickstarter's guest book. This is the degree of intimacy inspired by Shenmue, a unique case of video game that has touched its adventurers across generations. The fact that the third episode takes water from all sides does not change that. What made Shenmue so memorable is not only the QTE against chickens, turtle races and ridiculous situations that will brighten up Let's Plays for years to come. It's not only its insane absence for two decades, although it has played an important role. What makes Shenmue so unique is its animism and its way of telling the story of the essence of Asia. The mark it leaves in the hearts of players when everything else has unfortunately disappeared.

Japanpop.fr: 6/10 - Interesting
There is no doubt that Shenmue III will only speak to a handful of people. Those who, charmed by two incredible titles and frustrated by a cliffhanger since 2001, were waiting,body and soul, following the adventures of Ryo Hazuki. No, this game is not primarily intended to charm a new audience discovering the IP in 2019. Claimed by the fans, funded by them, and developed for them, the main question was to see if Shenmue III responded to these expectations. And it is a successful bet, even if the game suffers many defects for some unworthy of the status of the IP and its year of release. The sensations are there, the atmosphere at the rendezvous, and the magic operates again, despite everything. You don't play Shenmue III to be amazed by incredible innovations or to receive a "wow" effect in the face as in 1999, but simply to pursue a dream interrupted for far too long. Therefore, the contract can be considered as fulfilled.

VG247: 3/5

Still, despite these annoyances, despite the fact that it's a game designed with decades-old sensibilities, I enjoyed my time with it. It doesn't have the conclusion we've been waiting two decades for and it barely drives the story forward at all, but the climactic battle is as satisfying as that 70-man tussle in the first game's harbour. When you finish, you're given the option to start again and carry all your skills and money over to a new game, allowing Ryo to become even more proficient a fighter. He's putting in the time and learning to check those legs yet again. The credits have rolled, but the story isn't over. And neither is the grind.
Gamesradar: no score

Last edited:

Brinbe

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Terana
interesting. if you want more shenmue, it seems like this is definitely more of that. but it remains to be seen if that represents a truly revolutionary experience 20 years later.

not for everyone, but if you like some shenmue, it's good enough.

just give me that lucky hit

Dphex

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne, Germany
interesting. if you want more shenmue, it seems like this is definitely more of that. but it remains to be seen if that represents a truly revolutionary experience 20 years later.

no one expected a truly revolutionary experience from this game, most people just wanted a conclusion to the story but the game doesn´t really deliver on that

shaneo632

Weekend Planner
Oct 29, 2017
Wrexham, Wales
Very surprised by the point in that review that "the game doesn't advance the story that much.".

Really? Suzuki said it was just a gateway to more games, though I honestly think fans deserve some closure at this point and banking on more sequels given how long this one took to make is just arrogant and not respecting your audience.

As for people saying S3 wasn't ever supposed to advance the story that much, I dunno man, I think it's justifiable for people who have been waiting 17 years to be a bit annoyed that the game doesn't move things forward more.

Observable

Oct 27, 2017
Just received my PS4 copy from the Kickstarter campaign, but honestly I'm thinking of putting it for sale to at least get some of my money back. I backed it out of nostalgia and hoping the game would see massive funding, but it just didn't happen and I forgot to cancel it.

Brinbe

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Terana
We were never promised that
never said it either. i'm saying that explains the presumably underwhelming scores. a 'pure' shenmue experience, with warts and all, probably isn't gonna get 90s in 2020. and that's fair. it's def not for everyone.

but if you like yourself some shenmue, i think you'll probably still enjoy it regardless.

Wasn't the original intent for Shenmue's story like 14 chapters tho? lmao
that's the joke lol

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019
Prediction: The game will review poorly, but will immediately be made immune to criticism because it's "not for everyone" and "exactly what Shenmue fans are looking for".

MinusTydus

The Fallen
Jul 28, 2018
68 metacritic incoming
I'll take the under.
I'll bid 1 metacritic, Drew!

tenor.gif

I don't hate it. After an hour of playing, it just feels... off somehow.

AllMight1

Oct 27, 2017
Prediction: The game will review poorly, but will immediately be made immune to criticism because it's "not for everyone" and "exactly what Shenmue fans are looking for".

This isn't Death Stranding.
Nah, it's a game for fans and we'll love it. And it'll have criticism the same way Shenmue 1 and 2 has it.

RestEerie

Banned
Aug 20, 2018
Seriously though, the score doesn't matter.

This game is true & true for the fans...... it's meant to be a continuation of tbe original and nothing else.

If anyone wants to play a modern take of the shenmue formula, the Yakuza games & judgement will be the better recommendation.

MeltedDreams

Oct 27, 2017
GamesRadar review-in progress:

''If you've not played Shenmue before, honestly it's probably best you stick to Star Wars: Jedi Fallen Order, or any other decent modern title. This game feels like it's trolling modernity. It's ludicrously self-indulgent, constantly absurd, often beautiful, objectively awful and yet somehow wonderful. Personally I can't believe what I'm playing. Somehow Shenmue III is not only real, but it feels 100% authentic after all this time and against all the odds. I can't wait to see what happens next.''

Deleted member 42105

User requested account closure
Banned
Apr 13, 2018

noyram23

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sounds like what Shenmue fans, like me, expected outside of the story not moving much. The wait for 3 was souls crushing already but here we go again :(

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way

just give me that lucky hit
I'd guess those who funded the Kickstarter simply wanted more Shenmue - the game they know and love - rather than Shenmue Reinvented.

The original Shemue got mixed reviews - I remember the Gamespot review well of course. It was never a series with mass appeal either critically or commercially, hence why we needed a Kickstarter to get a sequel all these years later.
I can't see there being any agenda here, it's not a big first party exclusive. Shenmue fans will tell it how it is.

SteveWinwood

Oct 25, 2017
USA USA USA
Really? Suzuki said it was just a gateway to more games, though I honestly think fans deserve some closure at this point and banking on more sequels given how long this one took to make is just arrogant and not respecting your audience.

As for people saying S3 wasn't ever supposed to advance the story that much, I dunno man, I think it's justifiable for people who have been waiting 17 years to be a bit annoyed that the game doesn't move things forward more.
the most frustrating part for me is how they've tried so hard to mess up a lot of really easy slam dunks

going to epic and lying after your kickstarter is just so inept it's incredible

yes turning your back on the only people willing to give you money after 20 years for some short term gain will definitely help future games in the series get made!

Brinbe

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Terana
I'd guess those who funded the Kickstarter simply wanted more Shenmue - the game they know and love - rather than Shenmue Reinvented.

The original Shemue got mixed reviews - I remember the Gamespot review well of course. It was never a series with mass appeal either critically or commercially, hence why we needed a Kickstarter to get a sequel all these years later.
exactly, and that's exactly what i wanted. a dreamcast-era game, with better graphics, released in 2019? eschewing modernity in gaming? yes, i want to play that. we don't get these experiences often.

so it's probably a game that defies conventional reviews in a way. i'm very eager to play it. i want shenmue 4 on next-gen with the exact same mechanics. and onward forever until they completely finish the story and exhaust all future technology with the ps10 or whatever when i'm 80.

Oct 26, 2017
I just want the end of the story. That is all. The game could be a visual novel or interpretative dance, but I need closure.

Umbrella Carp

Banned
Jan 16, 2019
I haven't even received my backer code yet but I only spent the minimum amount required to get the game digitally so it isn't a big deal to me. I'll just treat it as a donation to making some dreams come true.

snausages

Feb 12, 2018
Is Shemue's whole deal supposed to be some sort of video game bildungsroman? ie, Ryo growing up over time and acquiring experience, cause the fact that this creator is so dedicated to telling a story of a huge number of chapters without compromise seems to suggest so.

KORNdog

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
i'm so glad they didn't "modernise" the game in some bizarre attempt to appeal to a wider audience. the fact it feels like it was a sequel made directly after shenmue 2 in 2001 is why i personally love it. but i can totally understand why others might not.

MilkBeard

Oct 25, 2017
What are you talking about? They literally built a team from scratch and released a game in 4 years. That is very much in the range of normal dev time. If you're talking about the wait...that's not anyone's fault here, but the circumstance. They had a small budget and limited time to release a game, and Sega didn't want anything to do with it for the longest time.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
How does one even go about reviewing a game like Shenmue 3? You can either review it in a modern context (in which it'll score poorly because it won't hold up like Shenmue 1-2), or you can review it as "is this a worthy continuation from Shenmue 1-2" (which it sounds like it is for the fans). I have my kickstarter copy but I still need to play Shenmue 1-2 so it's on hold for now.

shaneo632

Weekend Planner
Oct 29, 2017
Wrexham, Wales
What are you talking about? They literally built a team from scratch and released a game in 4 years. That is very much in the range of normal dev time. If you're talking about the wait...that's not anyone's fault here, but the circumstance. They had a small budget and limited time to release a game.

I'm not talking about dev time, obviously. More that it's a minor miracle this thing exists at all, so they should probably not hedge their bets on getting this opportunity again and give fans the full throttle sequel they deserve rather than keeping the endgame at a distance. Leave some stuff open, sure, but moving the story only incrementally forward feels a bit cheeky.

marcbret87

Apr 20, 2018

Well, those of us who funded the Kickstarter were expecting precisely that, another Shenmue game, and it seems on that front it delivers. For those without this prior involvement it simply won't resonate that much, that is to be expected, though I am pretty sure there will more than fair criticisms even by long-time fans.

Olaf

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's insane how this was one of the Big Three "megatons" at that one Sony E3.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
How does one even go about reviewing a game like Shenmue 3? You can either review it in a modern context (in which it'll score poorly because it won't hold up like Shenmue 1-2), or you can review it as "is this a worthy continuation from Shenmue 1-2" (which it sounds like it is for the fans). I have my kickstarter copy but I still need to play Shenmue 1-2 so it's on hold for now.

I had similar thoughts about the Link's Awakening remake, because I had recently played the DX version and didn't think the core gameplay held up very well compared to more modern entries like ALBW or even Minish Cap. Reviews either thought it was serviceable even today or accounted for it to some extent. I think that it will be comparable here. People who have some appreciation for Shenmue will find it authentic to the series's legacy, others will maybe mark it down a little but won't completely shoot it down.