• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
I think it's a nice 7/10 game too (so far) but unfortunately less than an 80 metacritic can have a bargain bin stigma to it. Shenmue 3 has an endearing enough world and characters to give it a try, I think in 10 years I'll still remember the towns and some of the random NPCs.

TooBusyLookinGud

Graphics Engineer
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
California

I liked the write up. It seems that she was a fan of the old games(or at least know their background) as she constantly references them. Her criticisms are backed up by examples and don't seem to be blind rants. Example:

One of the most baffling elements of Shenmue 3 is the writing. It's hard to believe that the script was ever read in its entirety by a native English speaker, due to the large number of awkward interactions and conversations that just don't make much sense in English.
Let me give you a couple of examples. Each of these dialogue snippets includes what I said, combined with the answer given to me by a character in the game. They never quite match up, and this happened all the time in the course of playing.
"I'm looking for someone called Yuan"
"No, I haven't"
"Could you help me? I'm looking for someone"
"No, I didn't"
"How do you know Yuan?"
"I guess so"

Oct 30, 2017
I think it's a nice 7/10 game too (so far) but unfortunately less than an 80 metacritic can have a bargain bin stigma to it. Shenmue 3 has an endearing enough world and characters to give it a try, I think in 10 years I'll still remember the towns and some of the random NPCs.
Considering most people were sure it'd be a total disaster, I honestly consider it being a 7:10 a small victory.

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
You can easily follow the story but indeed the dialogue is occasionally lost in translation, it feels like Ryo is a robot who has a set of responses that he will always repeat, regardless of the tone of the conversation. I would have preferred better interaction, but there is joy to be found with the conversations. Back in 2000 me and my brother played through the original and were consistently laugthing at Ryo's conversations but the overall experience was immersive and very positive within its own kooky world.

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017
It's funny how they "worked around that" by making him do stuff like squint when someone suggests Shenhua is his girlfriend.

Ryo shifts into some great Fry-eyes in this game, when something he doesn't like comes up.

8MIMHWR.png

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
PC Gamer is probably giving it a solid score. The writer Andy Kelly is a Shenmue fan and has been posting lots of good stuff about more detailed interactions with Shenhua, which tells me he's taking his time.

Seems Giant Bomb's heart isn't into tearing into Shenmue 3 for some reason. That's a bit heartwarming.
I find Shenmue 3 is the total underdog game. It's the opposite of Death Stranding to me.

Deleted member 13155

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You can easily follow the story but indeed the dialogue is occasionally lost in translation, it feels like Ryo is a robot who has a set of responses that he will always repeat, regardless of the tone of the conversation. I would have preferred better interaction, but there is joy to be found with the conversations. Back in 2000 me and my brother played through the original and were consistently laugthing at Ryo's conversations but the overall experience was immersive and very positive within its own kooky world.

Its so true to the original games that I just can't hate it. I even play it on English because the VA of S1 was so nostalgic to me.

I didn't want it any other way. Though I could do with dialogue skip and without that stupid stamina system.

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
Its so true to the original games that I just can't hate it. I even play it on English because the VA of S1 was so nostalgic to me.

I didn't want it any other way. Though I could do with dialogue skip and without that stupid stamina system.
Yeah it's very subjective if Ryo is being a robot is part of the fun or makes it an embarrassing disaster.

ianpm31

Oct 27, 2017
I'm proud of what Yu Suzuki and his team achieved on a small budget. Literally everything in this game had to be built from scratch from a team that didn't even exist prior to S3. Hopefully sales are good enough to continue because development will be much easier next time because systems and assets are in place to build and refine.

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hoping we get a 4, and, more importantly, on a AAA budget. The game could be so much more if they modernise it, and get Yu into the same mindset that made Shenmue such a pioneering moment in gaming. I'm not sure if I can tolerate the jank of 18 years ago, but still feel Yu has it in him to create another masterpiece.

Oct 30, 2017
Hoping we get a 4, and, more importantly, on a AAA budget. The game could be so much more if they modernise it, and get Yu into the same mindset that made Shenmue such a pioneering moment in gaming. I'm not sure if I can tolerate the jank of 18 years ago, but still feel Yu has it in him to create another masterpiece.
He recently mentioned possibly revisiting his old franchises that aren't Shenmue. I at least hope he gets a crack at leading another big project for Sega, whether it's a new Virtua Fighter or Afterburner. We need that so badly. I think a Suzuki-helmed VF would be an absolutely epic return for the VF franchise.

RiZ IV

Oct 27, 2017
The original games got mixed reviews and this one is done on a much smaller budget and scale so I was honestly expecting the reviews to be much lower than they ended up being. I am loving it so far. I think Yu and his team outdid themselves for what they were working with.

Metalgus

Oct 27, 2017
I'm proud of what Yu Suzuki and his team achieved on a small budget. Literally everything in this game had to be built from scratch from a team that didn't even exist prior to S3.

I gotta be honest, my expectations were mild from the start, then went a bit lower when we started seeing the first WIP footage a year or two ago. I decided to skip the trial version because I didn't want to spoil myself, but I was glad the reactions were positive. Now that I'm playing the game, needless to say, I am very impressed by what they achieved (and I am still very early in the game). Sure, the jankiness is there, but not only does this feel like a Shenmue game, it feels like a true complete game. I really was expecting a buggy half-realized mess. I don't know why exactly, maybe to protect myself from disappointment. Anyway, super glad this game exists and is as good as it is!

Iwao

Oct 25, 2017
Shenmue III is sitting at 69 on Opencritic.

Now, I think that it's remarkable how it's not lower given how (unfair) some critics have been with the series over the years and obvious budgetary constraints. Especially though, considering a great game with fantastic production values like Days Gone is sitting at 71. That's a tremendous sign to me. It's honestly a great result for a game carrying decades old design principles with it.

Legacy

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Shenmue III is sitting at 69 on Opencritic.

Now, I think that it's remarkable how it's not lower given how (unfair) some critics have been with the series over the years and obvious budgetary constraints. Especially though, considering a great game with fantastic production values like Days Gone is sitting at 71. That's a tremendous sign to me. It's honestly a great result for a game carrying decades old design principles with it.

I'm not sure if reviews even matter for this game. It's one for the fans and one of those titles people will seem to buy regardless of score, if they are attached to the franchise.

Heck, I'm going to start playing 1 and 2 for the first time this weekend. See what all the fuss is about

Blunoise

Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta, GA
I'm not sure if reviews even matter for this game. It's one for the fans and one of those titles people will seem to buy regardless of score, if they are attached to the franchise.

Heck, I'm going to start playing 1 and 2 for the first time this weekend. See what all the fuss is about
please give us impressions while u play, or join the OT for the remasters

ianpm31

Oct 27, 2017

Keep in mind there is no time skip in part 1. Now if you make it to Shenmue 2 prepare to fall in love

Shadoken

Oct 25, 2017
The original games got mixed reviews and this one is done on a much smaller budget and scale so I was honestly expecting the reviews to be much lower than they ended up being. I am loving it so far. I think Yu and his team outdid themselves for what they were working with.
Mixed ?
89 and 88 on Metacritic aren't what I'd call Mixed reviews.

ParsnipForest

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
I liked the write up. It seems that she was a fan of the old games(or at least know their background) as she constantly references them.
Yeah, not true. She's been extremely dismissive of Shenmue III in the past, saying it's going to be a train wreck on Podquisition, so I'm not surprised by this review at all.

Her review acts like Shenmue has an obligation to be innovative, which is the opposite of the truth: it had an obligation to be faithful, for the fans, because they willed it into existence, yet it's still an impressive game in many ways, especially for the budget.

No one complains when a solid JPRG comes out and isn't innovative, and they're a dime a dozen. Loads of genres are driven by decades-old game design and, dare I say, nostalgia. But we get a Shenmue game for the first time in 18 years and being unique amongst other games isn't good enough? In a medium that still operates on delivering the same shit year-in, year-out? Sorry if I don't buy that. The honest version of that review would've started with, "Look, I just don't like this type of game and here's why", but you're not allowed to do that in game reviews -- you have to pretend towards objectivity.

TooBusyLookinGud

Graphics Engineer
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
California
Yeah, not true. She's been extremely dismissive of Shenmue III in the past, saying it's going to be a train wreck on Podquisition, so I'm not surprised by this review at all.

I've never listened to her so thanks for relaying that information. This does change my view off her review, but I do like that she explained her displeasure with examples.

ParsnipForest

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
I've never listened to her so thanks for relaying that information. This does change my view off her review, but I do like that she explained her displeasure with examples.
It's a well-written thing, I just dislike the overall premise that it should've been innovative or what's the point? I think from the fan reaction they clearly made the right choice, but not everyone's gunna like it, and that's fine. Not all games need to please everyone.

Iwao

Oct 25, 2017

Her review acts like Shenmue has an obligation to be innovative, which is the opposite of the truth: it had an obligation to be faithful, for the fans, because they willed it into existence, yet it's still an impressive game in many ways, especially for the budget.

No one complains when a solid JPRG comes out and isn't innovative, and they're a dime a dozen. Loads of genres are driven by decades-old game design and, dare I say, nostalgia. But we get a Shenmue game for the first time in 18 years and being unique amongst other games isn't good enough? In a medium that still operates on delivering the same shit year-in, year-out? Sorry if I don't buy that. The honest version of that review would've started with, "Look, I just don't like this type of game and here's why", but you're not allowed to do that in game reviews -- you have to pretend towards objectivity.
Agreed. She also dismisses stuff that is essentially the very nature of the adventure genre, things that are in common with other games in the genre, as if it's a problem that this game actually has. Like talking to people to find things out to progress the story. Like point and click adventure games do? Is that genre suddenly a problem because Yu Suzuki decided to make a Shenmue sequel in the adventure genre? I mean, do we go about saying that visual novels aren't passable as games because you read stuff and make choices? It's not a fair or well evaluated review given its genre.

Serious Sam

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Reviews matter for this game just like they matter for any other game.

Black_Stride

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017

Where do you live?
Have you talked to any none-ERA,GAF,Reddit humans ?

Jun 12, 2018
Can someone go back through the last few pages and round up all the missing reviews so the op can add them to the front page. I would but my phone is rubbish. Keeps freezing :/

Loudninja

Oct 27, 2017