• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Kida

Oct 27, 2017
English subtitles are available.

Side Activities:

• Fishing
  • Forklifts
  • Part-time Jobs
  • Change Clothes
  • Deliver Arcade machines and they'll be available in the arcade the next day.
  • Chobu Chan (Find the hidden mascot in each of the shops for a reward)
  • Chobu Fighter (Virtua Fighter 2 Chicken Spoof)

Combat & Training:

Locations/Exploration:

Story:

Last edited:

Ryo Hazuki

Oct 25, 2017
I've not watched them because we're so close to release and might as well wait now. From what I've seen screenshot wise though it looks amazing. These videos do a great job of showing the different aspects of Shenmue III.

Erevador

Oct 25, 2017
It's worth just stepping back to appreciate that we're here in 2019 watching Yu Suzuki talk about his design choices for Shenmue III... and the game comes out this month.

Possibly the most unlikely comeback in the history of gaming.

And we're almost there.

Auberji

Oct 25, 2017
That recent video with the Wooden Doll Cafe, his face when trying to straight explain it was excellent.

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
I'll be going straight through from Death Stranding to Shenmue III

What a time to be alive

MouldyK

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Yu is one of my favourite developers to read translations of because he just seems like he understands what he wants to do with the games and seems quite humble about it as well.

"Regardless of whether everyone finds it "fun" or not, having useless stuff in the game makes it feel more real, which gives it a kind of value" Love it!

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
This is gonna be a stupid question, but no chance in hell of having the classic Sega arcade machines in this, right?

MrPressStart

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
As far as activities go.. is this enough to feel like I am not bored? Its almost like GTA or Yakuza light???

or are these the activities that are confirmed so far?

OP
OP
Kida

Kida

Oct 27, 2017
As far as activities go.. is this enough to feel like I am not bored? Its almost like GTA or Yakuza light???

There are lots more. Lucky hit, various gambling games, herb picking, turtle racing and several different arcade games.

Spaghetti

Dec 2, 2017

These are only a sampling of activities, there are more. A good few haven't been revealed officially yet either.

And to your question about GTA or Yakuza; it's neither. It's as much folly to compare, well, GTA to Yakuza or vice versa.

Shenmue is an action/adventure RPG with detective game and life sim elements. It's a game meant to be played slowly, though it sticks the foot to the floor with action sequences when it needs to. Otherwise it's a game where you drink in the details and play leisurely, to try and "live" the life of the character.

This time around the individual elements that make up the game are more connected, so there's a feedback loop between earning money through part time jobs, training, buying, selling and trading items, gambling, winning prizes, goofing off at the arcades, collecting herbs or capsule toys, training & the overall combat system, etc.

IronicSonic

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Chobuchan Fighter the new 3D fighting game made by Yu Suzuki!!

Virtua Sanus

Nov 24, 2017
The most recent video is the last one I will be watching, but it is a really charming final one for me. Moving the forklift about looks exactly as I had hoped it would and all of the detail in the arcade makes it look much more enjoyable than I ever expected.

Looking forward to finding all of the Chobu-chan figures!

This is gonna be a stupid question, but no chance in hell of having the classic Sega arcade machines in this, right?
I believe they said no to that, but Space Harrier posters were in the arcade in the newest video. I think at the very least we might get that.

SpecX

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
Awesome videos and still can't believe this game was made and is releasing this month. I dreamt about this for years till I finally have up and moved on, now it's happening!

I'll be honest, I probably won't play this till sometime next year since I don't have a ton of free time for gaming, but I will throw my support at this game and pay full price at launch.

I doubt enough fans and support will be there to get a sequel, but very happy and thankful to see Yu able to make his vision into a reality one last time.

Vespa

Oct 26, 2017
aFk5toV.jpg

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
I watched the exploration video, looks really good except that really cartoony proprietress character model. I know we get sick of the Yakuza comparison but I believe the video does a good job of showing the attention to detail in NPCs and in shops that helps set Shenmue apart.

master15

Nov 28, 2017
Just got my shipping confirmation, can't wait to finally play Shenmue 3 after 18 years of waiting in that cave!

Nov 23, 2017
The most recent video is the last one I will be watching, but it is a really charming final one for me. Moving the forklift about looks exactly as I had hoped it would and all of the detail in the arcade makes it look much more enjoyable than I ever expected.

Looking forward to finding all of the Chobu-chan figures!

I believe they said no to that, but Space Harrier posters were in the arcade in the newest video. I think at the very least we might get that.
Considering sega allowed this to happen at all I feel like it's not off the table to get a few.

ParsnipForest

Oct 27, 2017
Australia

Yeah, it's Kotaku with a negative headline, but I do share some of these same concerns about the game's cutscenes and cinematography.
Lol -- solid clickbait headline.

Does the writer realise they played the very beginning of the game? That article is like "the hour I played was linear with lots of cutscenes -- hope the rest of the game isn't like that!", when they had already mentioned the more free-flowing gameplay of the backer demo in the same article. Gotta love that faux-concern.

The concerns over cinematography are more legitimate, I guess, but the fact that characters stop to talk really doesn't worry me at all. I get that people are used to the "walk and talk" style of modern open world games, but there are plenty of games that still have a super static camera, switching from one character to the next at the same angles, and Shenmue III seems to be a step above that, at least.

Ryo Hazuki

Oct 25, 2017
Lol -- solid clickbait headline.

Does the writer realise they played the very beginning of the game? That article is like "the hour I played was linear with lots of cutscenes -- hope the rest of the game isn't like that!", when they had already mentioned the more free-flowing gameplay of the backer demo in the same article. Gotta love that faux-concern.

The concerns over cinematography are more legitimate, I guess, but the fact that characters stop to talk really doesn't worry me at all. I get that people are used to the "walk and talk" style of modern open world games, but there are plenty of games that still have a super static camera, switching from one character to the next at the same angles, and Shenmue III seems to be a step above that, at least.

Hard to say without playing the full game but the stopping to talk whilst walking could simply be case of having too much dialogue before Ryo and Shenhua reach their destination. Like if they walked the whole way they would probably reach the destination before the conversation finished so they decided to do that part like that so they could fit in the dialogue. So probably not a big deal but we'll see I guess.

ParsnipForest

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
Yeah, I'm pretty sure not every cutscene will be like that. We've seen plenty of dynamic scenes in trailers, and some of the dialogue scenes in the demo zoomed out to show more of the scenery etc.

It just seems like one of those "way too early to judge...but I'll judge it anyway" sort of scenarios.

Oct 30, 2017
saw an article that complained you can hear axe chopping sound effects while you talk to someone who was chopping wood, but stopped. Yeah, it's poor attention to detail.... BUT, I guarantee you every other game, even really big budget games, features this kind of thing because it's something 99% of people playing the game will never notice.

ParsnipForest

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
saw an article that complained you can hear axe chopping sound effects while you talk to someone who was chopping wood, but stopped. Yeah, it's poor attention to detail.... BUT, I guarantee you every other game, even really big budget games, features this kind of thing because it's something 99% of people playing the game will never notice.
Some of these people have nothing of value to write so they turn to nitpicking. The majority of previews have been positive, though, so I really don't want to dwell on the few negative ones.

Spaghetti

Dec 2, 2017
but there are plenty of games that still have a super static camera, switching from one character to the next at the same angles, and Shenmue III seems to be a step above that, at least.
Honestly - the dynamic camera during conversations in Shenmue is still one of the smartest tricks the series has up its sleeve. Dunno why more games don't do it. I was playing Vampyr like a year back (?) and found myself slowly rotating the freecam during dialogue because the static angle was so dry and boring to stare at for minutes on end.

Either way, the Kotaku article is hugely premature and really quite nitpicky? It feels like the opening hours stuff a lot of exposition and introduction to game mechanics before it lets you off the leash; but also nobody has really seen or played beyond... the opening two(?) questlines. I also imagine many of the non-major cinematics are relying on the dynamic camera tools (even if the angles are fixed) to cut down on labour for the staff.

Oct 30, 2017
I guess they're suggesting the blocking of the cutscenes and the storyboarding weren't given much thought? Do the cutscenes show that the characters actually stop moving before they appear to be stood still,, or are they transitioning from walking around to a closeup where they're stood still without any logic?

I have not played the demo since I'm not on a PC and I've tried to limit my exposure to the actual gameplay to keep things fresh on day 1 so I'm just guessing.

Oct 30, 2017
Do you guys think there are other arcade games aside from the mechanical games? It seems weird they'd bother to fill the joint with those classic cabinets and only feature Choubou Fighter.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Shenmue 3's cutscenes could be still drawings for all I care. After waiting all this damn time I couldnt fucking care less where the camera was pointing. I finally get to see what happens next after the cave, that article just seems like someone wanting to kick Shenmue again because reasons, unless they have a companion article pointing out how bloody bad the new Need for Speed story cutscenes are, I fail to see the need to single out Shenmue. Plus... that one rather huge plot point shown in the recent Facebook ad looked fine enough. I don't need every game with Death Stranding level of detail, I just want to play my Virtua Fighter chicken arcade game in peace dammit.