• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 17210

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
As Shenmue fan, I can tell you that it does not take much to rile up Shenmue fans. In fact, I would say this is true of Sega fans in general. The embattled Sega/Shenmue fanbases do not take to any criticism of the games they love very well. Sure, this can be said of fans of Nintendo, Sony, etc. but I think Sega going from a console developer to the 3rd party developer they are today only exasperated things. Having said that, I do think there are some who, as a result of all that, revel in riling those people up which isn't great either. With Jim's Shenmue review I didn't get that vibe but this video is obviously a retaliation to the reaction his review video got. I'm not a huge fan of Sterling but I think this is justified.
This is true. We have an entire generation that knows nothing about Sega consoles. It's not surprising Sega fans get pissed off easily when they see top 100 lists with no games from Sega systems, not even 16-bit Sonic games. That used to be unheard of. Of course some Sega fans are just bad at taking criticism but I think most just want to see the company's accomplishments fairly remembered.

Hero_of_the_Day

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
My favorite thing about Sterling and Angry Joe are how absolutely salty people get over them.

Also, I'm glad he quickly realized doing these video every week was a bad idea. The time in between makes them far more enjoyable.

saenima

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The fact he made a video about the letter means he's not above dancing in fanboy toxicity and giving it his time. Which really does nothing but build more toxicity, since he's popular, because people will respond and he's not above responding to that.

So that means he's ok with it. He's too popular to not know there will be fanatics about any subject.

Also educate me on logic if you have the time. Not just a definition.

I'm not gonna be dragged into a facetious pedantry contest. If you're actually interested in what the conversation was about, go back and read it again, but this time without your disingenuous glasses on. And after you get a new appreciation on how what you have said has nothing to do with what i have said, keep it to yourself because i'm not interested.

Sander VF

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Tbilisi, Georgia
This is true. We have an entire generation that knows nothing about Sega consoles. It's not surprising Sega fans get pissed off easily when they see top 100 lists with no games from Sega systems, not even 16-bit Sonic games. That used to be unheard of. Of course some Sega fans are just bad at taking criticism but I think most just want to see the company's accomplishments fairly remembered.
Lol true.

I'm not even a true Sega diehard and yet it used to piss me off to see people treat Genesis as if it was merely an alsoran or pretending Yu Suzuki isn't one of the greats or saying Sonic was never good (having just played Sonic Mania though, I'll be an asshole and say that Sonic water levels were never good, but maybe it's just that levels are long in mania).

Deleted member 24021

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
My guess is some people see themselves in that weird guys letter, or have even made some posts that contain some similar nonsense. Or he just "insulted" a game they like with a 7/10 review or something, I dunno. Probably the latter.

Or they're lapsed fans like me that once loved his videos. They've gotten predictable and stale.

Minilla

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Tokyo
Most modern-ish (and certainly old famous games like shenmue), you could find a youtube video of some loving it or hating it.

Its just an opinion. Alot people on here hate him JUST for BOTW review. LOL. Its a review score people, grow up

Jiraiya

Oct 27, 2017
I'm not gonna be dragged into a facetious pedantry contest. If you're actually interested in what the conversation was about, go back and read it again, but this time without your disingenuous glasses on. And after you get a new appreciation on how what you have said has nothing to do with what i have said, keep it to yourself because i'm not interested.

Curious reply. I'll take it though.

honest_ry

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Love these videos.

Reminds me why I hate a large percentage of gamers. They are nut jobs.

Also, Shenmue 1 & 2 were 2 of my favourite games ever. I bought the remasters and now I think they are shite.

Isambard

Nov 14, 2017
This whole saga about Jim Sterling and his opinion of Shenmue really highlights for me the reason why I stopped watching his videos and why I don't think he's a very good or interesting critic.

Shenmue is a game that set out to evoke, genre trappings aside, the day-to-day experiences of a high school aged young man in 1980's Yokosuka, Japan. The problem for Sterling, though, is not that Shenmue failed at what it set out to accomplish. Rather, the issue is that Shenmue succeeded, and that Jim Sterling does not value that in any way, shape, or form.

A movie or a book could deal with a similar approach to the same subject matter and be respected for it. However, a game, as Sterling would have it, can't do this sort of thing because it's not "fun" and it wastes too much of the player's time, whatever the hell either of those criticisms mean.

It is ultimately coming from the mindset of the consumer report. Sterling treats Shenmue not as a work of fiction but as a product that failed to function according to the arbitrary standards that he thinks all games ought to follow. Shenmue is a failure because it does not follow a narrow definition of what "fun" is and for finding meaning in daily tedium when it really should have been filled with wall to wall distractions.

This is a stifling mindset that serves to hold games back as a medium, placing limits on what games can do and what they can be about

Van Bur3n

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Don't watch too much of Jimmy anymore, but if there is one thing I'm okay with, its making fun of the nerds that makes these sort of comments. They're always so embarrassing.

saenima

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This whole saga about Jim Sterling and his opinion of Shenmue really highlights for me the reason why I stopped watching his videos and why I don't think he's a very good or interesting critic.

Shenmue is a game that set out to evoke, genre trappings aside, the day-to-day experiences of a high school aged young man in 1980's Yokosuka, Japan. The problem for Sterling, though, is not that Shenmue failed at what it set out to accomplish. Rather, the issue is that Shenmue succeeded, and that Jim Sterling does not value that in any way, shape, or form.

A movie or a book could deal with a similar approach to the same subject matter and be respected for it. However, a game, as Sterling would have it, can't do this sort of thing because it's not "fun" and it wastes too much of the player's time, whatever the hell either of those criticisms mean.

It is ultimately coming from the mindset of the consumer report. Sterling treats Shenmue not as a work of fiction but as a product that failed to function according to the arbitrary standards that he thinks all games ought to follow. Shenmue is a failure because it does not follow a narrow definition of what "fun" is and for finding meaning in daily tedium when it really should have been filled with wall to wall distractions.

This is a stifling mindset that serves to hold games back as a medium, placing limits on what games can do and what they can be about

Now this is criticism i am fully on board with, and also why i have little interest in Sterling's output as a critic nowadays. He's too limited in his approach, to the point where he offers no great insight on games past the basic.

Lindsay

Nov 4, 2017
Sheesh an that was all by one person huh? The grammar & typos make even my writing look understandable! Seems like that person couldn't even do a good job of attacking Jim personally. Like, I dun got a 100 plats and I suck at games so other then liking Shenmue it feels like they coulda been attacking me and anyone else that meets their dumb hardcore criteria ~_~

He's entitled to his opinion. Shenmue is my favorite series ever but I'm ready to move on to Shenmue 3. S1 and 2 are damn near 20 year old games. He should go back and judge Yakuza PS2 while he's at it.
As someone who still enjoys Yakuza PS2, thinks it holds up in many ways, and is a marvel of the late PS2 era, I'd watch it.

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
DmlBj5gU8AAF-fv.jpg

I feel odd, almost nostalgic. Why do I feel like I've seen this before...
neverdead-screenshot-06.jpg

Deleted member 36186

Banned
Dec 14, 2017

Very well said.

Deleted member 11426

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Greensboro NC
Don't watch too much of Jimmy anymore, but if there is one thing I'm okay with, its making fun of the nerds that makes these sort of comments. They're always so embarrassing.

I don't watch much of his stuff anymore either, but this clickbait troll shit works. You can find dumb comments and get views by calling anything people like the worst thing ever.

cyklisten

Nov 12, 2017
I have plenty of problems with Sterling's content. Mocking dipshits who are harassing him for his opinions on a game is not one of them.

No line was moved but have fun congratulating yourself for some reason. I don't even like Jim's content tbh, just dislike people throwing dishonest hissy fits about him more.

People disliking other people for disliking a guys video, where he dislikes peoples comments in which they dislike his opinion about a game.
Alot of it with a snarky, your-opinion-doesn´t-matter attitude.

How people can´t see the endless circle here is beyond me.

saenima

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
People disliking other people for disliking a guys video, where he dislikes peoples comments in which they dislike his opinion about a game.
Alot of it with a snarky, your-opinion-doesn´t-matter attitude.

How people can´t see the endless circle here is beyond me.

It's the circle of (shitty) life!

More seriously though. You have one way of seeing it and that's ok.

The way i see it, Sterling reviewed a game. Gamers being gamers, a few idiots will take it upon themselves to harass him for daring to have a different opinion. Sterling being Sterling, he mocked them for their stupidity. More gamers being gamers, some hold Sterling grudges for having had different opinions from them in the past. Me being the idiot that i am, decide to waste my limited time on this Earth saying people on the internet that they are wrong. You being you, think all of this is destroying society as we know it and call me and Lucha out. And here we are at this post.

So i guess you're right?

I will admit something though. British wit taking out the trash gives me life and that's that.

Al3x1s

Banned
Nov 13, 2017
Greece
I mean, he was inflammatory on purpose towards the game and its fans (not to mention its developers) since who could possibly like (or make and publish) such a disaster of a software, were inflammatory responses really so unexpected? Oh wait, that was the point, to then be able to make another video, never mind... Additionally, posting x's opinion sucks on era or wherever else is not actual harassment and claiming it is so does a huge and insulting disservice to people who actually go through and have to deal with real shit. This is basically his livelihood, not a personal drama or disaster he's subjected to by the cruel world, plus he's been known to make offensive responses on twitter and the like himself in the past, if you can't take it then don't dish it out, but I guess if popular enthusiast x does it to random nobody online then it's fun and funny while in the opposite direction we should grab the pitchforks and discuss the toxic gamer culture for mistreating poor innocent folks like that who wipe their tears with the cold hard cash they gain from feeding the cycle they pretend to be against. Eh.

Last edited:

Guardians

Banned
Dec 23, 2017
Never will I grasp the attention this guy garners or the fans he genuinely has. He's so obnoxiously terrible and irritating.
Agreed! He is always offensive in his videos, and when something comes back to him he makes videos like these. Those who makes such comments are also allowed to have an opinion, it's not you alone Jim Sterling! And if you can't handle that with your provocating and offensive videos, than fucking stop making offensive and provocating videos!!!

Last edited:

NewDust

Visited by Knack
Oct 25, 2017
Full transcript for those who can't or don't want to watch the video

Guess he had to censor because of youtube...

Resilient

Oct 25, 2017

holy fuck this is such a good post. Thank you for putting into words what I couldn't.

Guardians

Banned
Dec 23, 2017

This proves that no one should care about Jim Sterlings opinins in the first place!

Oct 26, 2017
Are we at the stage yet where idiots realise vitriol directed at him has a chance of making it into his next video and so are pretending to be offended over something they likely don't care about just to see their post on a screen? That's usually the next step in this kind of thing, right?

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Can he really even be considered a critic anymore?

He doesn't do reviews, and it feels like his shtick is to pretty much shit all over everything.

Deleted member 5549

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Are we at the stage yet where idiots realise vitriol directed at him has a chance of making it into his next video and so are pretending to be offended over something they likely don't care about just to see their post on a screen? That's usually the next step in this kind of thing, right?
I think that's why the series isn't a regular thing. unless people are determined to shit on everything in hopes to be on one of his videos.

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
I'm impressed how much the chap venting all that actually knew about Sterling's endeavours and the Jimquisition recurring tropes, he must be a closet fan.

Briarios

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Or maybe we didn't miss it, it just doesn't matter because cherry-picking multiple comments or a single mail among the vast amount of very valid criticism he receives (and ignores) in the disingenuous attempt to validate his position isn't any better or different.

Oooor ... He accepts the other criticism as valid and is is just highlighting for entertainment purposes the ridiculous responses from a lot games? He doesn't need to justify or validate his opinion -- it's an opinion.

Iwao

Oct 25, 2017

Yup. I have to agree with all of this. He is an interesting critic when it comes to defending consumer rights and how large corporations try and screw us over, though. Oh, and doesn't he regard Deadly Premonition as a masterpiece? But Shenmue, sucks...

Kcannon

Oct 30, 2017
Agreed! He is always offensive in his videos, and when something comes back to him he makes videos like these. Those who makes such comments are also allowed to have an opinion, it's not you alone Jim Sterling! And if you can't handle that with your provocating and offensive videos, than fucking stop making offensive and provocating videos!!!

Sounds like someone is offended...

Is this about the 7/10?

Darkmaigle

Oct 25, 2017

Jim Sterling has received a lot of flak for his thoughts and opinions on Shenmue (he thinks that it's not good) and as such many fans of the series has openly criticised his points and in the Sterling way - decides to bring back the Duke to comment of those comments. Personally while i don't agree with all of Jim Sterling's points regarding the game - i think critics were too harsh against him but hey at least we got a pretty entertaining video out of it.

The videos are funny but yeah he ain't slick.

MrBadger

Oct 27, 2017
Seems like his shtick is provoking easy-to-provoke people, then mocking them in a followup video

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
maybe he just didn't like shenmue that much

I feel like there a difference between saying you dislike a game and calling it rubbish right in the title.

Like people were going to be upset either way but it feels like it's trying to antagonize people. He had to know the games cult status.

It's the difference between poking the hornets nest and hitting it with a baseball bat.