• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Kinthey

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I feel odd, almost nostalgic. Why do I feel like I've seen this before...
neverdead-screenshot-06.jpg

Plagiarism strikes again!

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
"Inflammatory" apparently means "Not liking something popular"

The gaming community really needs to get over its sacred cows.

Sou Da

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Half of y'all dudes complaining about Sterling are probably subscribed to YongYea or DownwardThrust or some other reddit-tier panhandler.

I don't like some of the shit he does but Jim's definitely the best YouTuber in the "once a day videos about video game consumers" genre.

Guardians

Banned
Dec 23, 2017
Sounds like someone is offended...

Is this about the 7/10?
No, it's my opinion! And I don't care about Jim Sterlings opinion. If he doesn't like Zelda like I do than it's fine with me, it's Jim Sterling who can't accept that others are also allowed to have their own opinions.

And if you make offensive and provocative videos than you have to live with it that others are also offensive and provocative agains you! You get what you give!

saenima

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Half of y'all dudes complaining about Sterling are probably subscribed to YongYea or DownwardThrust or some other reddit-tier panhandler.

I don't like some of the shit he does but Jim's definitely the best YouTuber in the "once a day videos about video game consumers" genre.

Yeah but those dudes didn't give BOTW a 7.

Checkmate Android fans.

M1chl

Banned
Nov 20, 2017
Czech Republic
Umm is he reacting to videogamedunkey video? I don't know, but this format is cringey. i liked Jim Sterling when he was on Destructoid or Escapist, but he is getting old with his terrible humor (in my humble opinion), where is video like "One nation, host migration", that was the time when he was good. I am sure that his point might be valid, but the presentation of that, is really...well, I cannot stand it.

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
Don't care if it's meant to be entertaining and satire, the satire is shit and it's a pointless fallacy when most Shenmue fans have had 20 years to accept it's not for everyone, rather than these hand picked commentators.

Apr 21, 2018
Wow I've never seen Jim Sterling like that. He's actually a really good actor.

Kudos for him doing this and poking some fun. I don't usually agree with his opinions, but I couldn't help but smile and laugh at this one.

MinusTydus

The Fallen
Jul 28, 2018
Agreed! He is always offensive in his videos, and when something comes back to him he makes videos like these. Those who makes such comments are also allowed to have an opinion, it's not you alone Jim Sterling! And if you can't handle that with your provocating and offensive videos, than fucking stop making offensive and provocating videos!!!

Imagine getting this worked up over someone dressing as an 18th century Duke to make fun of man-babies who can't handle criticism and don't know how to spell.

leave video games alon lol.

KhadD

Oct 29, 2017
Imagine getting this worked up over someone dressing as an 18th century Duke to make fun of man-babies who can't handle criticism and don't know how to spell.

And complaining about him cherry picking bad comments for a video meant to make fun of bad comments. How disingenuous.

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
Shenmue is like Yakuza but bad instead of good.
Yakuza is like Shenmue but shit. It doesn't even have a weather/night cycle, NPC scheldues and who can be properly talked to, most buildings can't even be entered and let you observe items with your hands.

In reality,
Both games are effective at what they try to do, and Shenmue is instead a detective/life sim game and comparing them so simplistically is very dull.

AtomicShroom

Tools & Automation
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Jim's right. Shenmue is such a boring poorly-executed game. It only got that big of a pass because of how good it looked, Yu Suzuki's name, and the fact that the Dreamcast seemed so ahead of its time back then.

Duffking

Oct 27, 2017
I feel like there a difference between saying you dislike a game and calling it rubbish right in the title.

Like people were going to be upset either way but it feels like it's trying to antagonize people. He had to know the games cult status.

It's the difference between poking the hornets nest and hitting it with a baseball bat.
The thing with this particular hornet's nest is that it tends to react the same way whether you poke it or hit it with a baseball bat anyway.

Deleted member 8777

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Jim's right. Shenmue is such a boring poorly-executed game. It only got that big of a pass because of how good it looked, Yu Suzuki's name, and the fact that the Dreamcast seemed so ahead of its time back then.

It was the most expensive and best produced game at the time. It pioneered the cinematic gaming genre, something companies like Sony feed off these days. It was way ahead of its time.

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017

The original video was about Jim getting worked up about people who have liked a game for 20 years and feeling the need to review what's like a life sim game when he doesn't even like that genre.

Deleted member 18161

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Is this how things are gonna be from now on? Jim makes an inflammatory video to rile up people and then harvests it for another video? Literally the snake eating its own dick.

He's been a waste of space for a couple of years. A poor mans Total Biscuit (who's act he ripped off by the way).

He was incredible for the first few years so it's a shame he's went down this path of baiting fans for clicks.

NekoNeko

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Is Jim Sterling the Alex Jones of video games? Too woke for this millennium.

He kind of is. He just says what his fans want to hear (companies are bad etc.) and i doubt he truly believes it like AJ. They found their niche market to exploit and since gamers are the biggest marks on the planet it works like a charm.

That being said: Shenmue is absolute garabage.

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
It doesn't make one right because they have different preferences for enjoying a video game. Saying people enjoyed Shenmue just for its graphics however is factually wrong.

Deleted member 8593

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I read this the way he says it in these videos. He needs to do one of these dedicated to this site.

Wanting Jim to do better when he's shown that he can do better is hardly a controversial opinion. For some of us, his enfant terrible act has run dry.

Write him about your idea though. Maybe senpai will notice you.
mjgrin.png

mas8705

Oct 27, 2017
It feels like it's been forever since he did a commentocrcy. Honestly I do love these videos since it does seem like the way some write their responses tend to come off as exaggerated as how Sterling make it off.

Part of me wonders if the Sony response to cross platform with "Because we're awesome," was longer if he would actually consider doing that one too.

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Agreed! He is always offensive in his videos, and when something comes back to him he makes videos like these. Those who makes such comments are also allowed to have an opinion, it's not you alone Jim Sterling! And if you can't handle that with your provocating and offensive videos, than fucking stop making offensive and provocating videos!!!

Glad i'm not alone in my thinking.

Jiraiya

Oct 27, 2017
He kind of is. He just says what his fans want to hear (companies are bad etc.) and i doubt he truly believes it like AJ. They found their niche market to exploit and since gamers are the biggest marks on the planet it works like a charm.

That being said: Shenmue is absolute garabage.

When you use that argument for Alex your opinion of the game that comes after gets a little side eye. Jim really doesn't deserve to be associated with that dude as an act.

Lunchbox

ƃuoɹʍ ʇᴉ ƃuᴉop ǝɹ,noʎ 'ʇɥƃᴉɹ sᴉɥʇ pɐǝɹ noʎ ɟI
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Rip City
The salt in here is too good. Jim, keep doing the thing. He compared Jim to Alex Jones man hahahah

Khanimus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Vancouver
Shenmue is a grotesque waste of time, and is interesting from only the most clinical perspective. It's one thing for a game to establish a sense of place and explore the mundane, it's another thing entirely for the game to make wait for fucking ever to grab your cruise ship tickets, then just fuck with you by going "oh can you come tomorrow instead" for no other reason than the designers going "Isn't that annoying?! Isn't that frustrating?! Just like real life, maaaannnn!"

I take zero issue with Jim giving it shit.

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
I had a great time with Shenmue and I disagreed with many of the points from Jim's review.

Know what I did next? I went on with my day and continued enjoying what I like.