• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
I think most will agree that the second game is inferior to the first and probably feels more like an expansion pack just like the third installment. But I can understand that he went with what worked but for the story first and foremost, there's a lot to be left as ire considering the progression has been so lacking that it only exacerbates all the other flaws in the actual core of the gameplay.

I don't really have a hyperbolic statement like Jim but it certainly is a disappointment and I think even the most die-hard fans would agree with that mainly based on the lack of progression of the story.
Excuse me? Shenmue 2 is like 4 times bigger than the world of the original and it's actually an open world, unlike 1 and 3 where you have to investigate before being allowed to go the next area of the town. Then Shenmue 2 introduced all the activities like fighting arenas and gambling mini games and improved upon the complaints of the first game like multiple dialogue options and time skips and overall much more stuff to do. You can prefer 1 but 2 is a great example of an expansive sequel. If you play it through with the JAP VA, Shenmue 2 is borderline a perfect Shenmue game. I don't think most people think 1 is better.

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Opinions are fine, but what's Jim trying to tell us with his 3rd video on the same topic? We know his opinion. It's not changing. So what else is it other than hate?

I'm beyond giving a fuck whether people like X or Y but I do take issue with people on platforms spreading hate. It's as simple as that. that's why I'm shocked people can be so defensive of his videos as they bring nothing good to the media scape. So I have to ask. Why do you care that I don't like Jim that much?

you can plug your ears all you like but the fact is Jim makes these videos to generate attention and bring in an audience to his subscription model. Otherwise he wouldn't have a Patreon buddy. You're the third or fourth person to hand wave this claim with me in this thread, it's astounding.
On some topics he has 5 videos. This guy makes multiple videos a week, I don't get how you think 3 videos in an entire year is somehow evidence of some conspiracy of Jim against this game. Nobody is being defensive about his videos. Personally I don't think his whole waterworld analogy holds that much water, pun intended.

I don't care if you don't like Jim, your reasoning and your tirade of him being toxic is just nonsense, and I'm pointing it out. That's all.

He can make multiple videos about niche games like this because he has a Patreon, otherwise he would have to resort to actual clickbait titiles and games that pull in an actual audience. Glad we agree here. If he wanted to generate attention he wouldn't make videos about fucking Shenmue but Death Stranding instead.

Kenstar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Earth
On some topics he has 5 videos. This guy makes multiple videos a week, I don't get how you think 3 videos in an entire year is somehow evidence of some conspiracy of Jim against this game. Nobody is being defensive about his videos. Personally I don't think his whole waterworld analogy holds that much water, pun intended.

I don't care if you don't like Jim, your reasoning and your tirade of him being toxic is just nonsense, and I'm pointing it out. That's all.

He can make multiple videos about niche games like this because he has a Patreon, otherwise he would have to resort to actual clickbait titiles and games that pull in an actual audience. Glad we agree here. If he wanted to generate attention he wouldn't make videos about fucking Shenmue but Death Stranding instead.
nope, you are nitpicking and biased i win bye bye

Resilient

Oct 25, 2017

mate. You need to re-read my posts. I'm not saying it's a conspiracy. I'm saying the bloke brings nothing positive to the table, only negativity. As evidenced by his recurring videos that cover the same game with misinformation. If you think that's good content, good for you. If you think it's not there to garner attention, you're naive. If you think my posts in this thread are a tirade, you've taken them to heart - remember, you quoted me. So I'm just responding to you.

take a step back. You're actually being very defensive of this video in particular because you can't seem to handle the fact that I'm saying they're shit posts. ask yourself what Jim brings to the table in terms of meaningful content. I personally don't believe he brings anything positive to the media scape any longer. Maybe his old content. But not this tripe.

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Ok lets not go into the "Everything is Jank". Given the budget of the game would you rather have them focussed on fixing/polishing the combat,controls and voice acting instead of what makes the game unique like the NPCs,World,Story ? Wouldn't that disappoint the fans who literally made this possible in the first place ?

Given the budget this game was always going to be a hard to make. Maybe if it was made by a developer who already had a lot of these things done it could have been possible on that budget. But this is literally Ys Net first console game.

Jims video isn't even a game review , he can review the game and give it a 2/10 and nobody would actually care. But making a video on why something shouldn't exist is just hateful.

Also for the person you were quoting , a lot of people in this thread were just denying Shenmues influence on gaming. I don't think they were referring to Jims video on influence , since even Jim acknowledges the first two games were very influential and groundbreaking.
Voice Acting is part of an NPC to me, and considering how far we actually got in the story with 3, I don't really see your point.
There are games with less budget that don't feel like they are form 2001 mechanically. It's obvious Suzuki took most of his reference from S1 and 2 instead of looking what happened in the last decades of gaming. In some aspects that's a positive for the day one fans, but in a lot of ways its a detriment for everyone else.

Does jim likes anything?
Off the top of my head Mario Odyssey, Disco Elysium, Outer Worlds, Horizon Zero Dawn.

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
mate. You need to re-read my posts. I'm not saying it's a conspiracy. I'm saying the bloke brings nothing positive to the table, only negativity. As evidenced by his recurring videos that cover the same game with misinformation. If you think that's good content, good for you. If you think it's not there to garner attention, you're naive. If you think my posts in this thread are a tirade, you've taken them to heart - remember, you quoted me. So I'm just responding to you.

take a step back. You're actually being very defensive of this video in particular because you can't seem to handle the fact that I'm saying they're shit posts. ask yourself what Jim brings to the table in terms of meaningful content. I personally don't believe he brings anything positive to the media scape any longer. Maybe his old content. But not this tripe.
Your conpsiracy is that he shits on Shenmue so he can reel in Patreon subscribers. Which is still nonsense.
In regard to him only spreading negativity, here, finding these positive Jim Sterling videos took me 2 minutes of my lifetime (guess I'm waaayy too einvested in this am I right?):
Disco Elysium Jimpression
Mario Odyssey Jimpression
Horizon Jimpression

I honestly believe people calling him hateful and toxic over this are people that really, really like Shenmue and can't handle someone having a negative opinion about it. Pointing out how utterly defensive some people in here get isn't being defensive lol.
I said multiple times now that his analogy isn't that good. How is that being defensive of the video? When someone calls him "a blight on the industry" over this, that's a defensive overreaction if I've ever seen one.

Now excuse me, because it seems the sole act of me engaging in a simple discussion in here makes you claim I'm too invested and that I'm here to defend something I don't intend to actually defend. Sorry for not giving you more fodder for that troll argument.
Have a nice day.

Deleted member 30544

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Nov 3, 2017
Lol i read the title wrong as Westworld and thought to myself "yeah he has a point, super boring stuff at first but you have to give it time for the amazing payoffs"

Anyway....

Resilient

Oct 25, 2017
Your conpsiracy is that he shits on Shenmue so he can reel in Patreon subscribers. Which is still nonsense.
In regard to him only spreading negativity, here, finding these positive Jim Sterling videos took me 2 minutes of my lifetime (guess I'm waaayy too einvested in this am I right?):
Disco Elysium Jimpression
Mario Odyssey Jimpression
Horizon Jimpression

I honestly believe people calling him hateful and toxic over this are people that really, really like Shenmue and can't handle someone having a negative opinion about it. Pointing out how utterly defensive some people in here get isn't being defensive lol.
I said multiple times now that his analogy isn't that good. How is that being defensive of the video? When someone calls him "a blight on the industry" over this, that's a defensive overreaction if I've ever seen one.

Now excuse me, because it seems the sole act of me engaging in a simple discussion in here makes you claim I'm too invested and that I'm here to defend something I don't intend to actually defend. Sorry for not giving you more fodder for that troll argument.
Have a nice day.

Like I said earlier, you can dislike or like a thing, anybody can. That's how the world works. I don't care that he doesn't like it. But what is gained by shitting on something repeatedly in the way Jim does? Considering his 2nd video was a giant fuck you to the fanbase who pointed out his first video was full of hyperbole and falsities, is it really unfair to say they bring nothing but negativity? How is that a conspiracy when I'm pointing out what is bleedingly obvious?

So, I disagree with you. The posters saying he is just stirring the pot when it comes to Shenmue are...largely right! Nothing new in his latest video, just another ride on the "fuck you Shenmue" roundabout, because it generates clicks and discussion. Which is the point of all of his videos, otherwise he wouldn't have a Patreon.

My point still stands. He is a blight now. His best work IMO is behind him - his criticisms of the industry and discussion around that. I mean fuck, just look at the title of this video and compare it to his work from 2 years ago. Why is he resorting to a shitty clickbait analogy if his content is so good and can stand on its own? Am I really that off base here? These type of Jim videos just don't bring anything to the table.

Look at my criticisms without thinking "I'm a Shenmue fan". Take them at face value. And don't be surprised if I call you defensive after you've been labeling those calling out Jim as zealous fanboys.

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Man, he's really laying into Yu and Shenmue 3. Didn't expect it to be this scathing.

Akasaki

Oct 27, 2017
The problem is not that he hates Shenmue, that's fine. If you don't like something and feel the need to talk about it... ok I guess?
The problem is that a lot of the things that he said in the video are plain wrong as it has been stated already in this very thread but the Jim defense force obviously ignores that and tries to make it look as if Shenmue fans are being overly defensive when that's not the case.

He can like or dislike whatever he wants and he can talk about that, but when you start spreading misinformation, that's when you'll have people telling your video is shit. Because it is.

Oct 30, 2017
Man, he's really laying into Yu and Shenmue 3. Didn't expect it to be this scathing.

At the end of the day, I'd rather be known for trying and failing than being a miserable loud mouth like Jim Sterling who's made a name for himself by trashing people who've lived honest lives and worked hard.

advantage: Yu Suzuki

Last edited:

Caz

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Since this has become an unofficial "nyeh the critics/reviews are wrong about Shenmue 3 (even though a 70 or so is still a good score)", Zero Punctuation - Shenmue 3

Like I said earlier, you can dislike or like a thing, anybody can. That's how the world works. I don't care that he doesn't like it. But what is gained by shitting on something repeatedly in the way Jim does?

I don't care that he doesn't like it.

Considering his 2nd video was a giant fuck you to the fanbase who pointed out his first video was full of hyperbole and falsities, is it really unfair to say they bring nothing but negativity? How is that a conspiracy when I'm pointing out what is bleedingly obvious?

My point still stands. He is a blight now.

Shadoken

Oct 25, 2017
I...didn't write this? Like...even klicking on the quote shows that. Fabricating quotes isn't cool.

Huh , never said you did. I was referring to the video.

Edit:
oh I see now , messed up the edit on the quote. Because your post was already on from the previous time i quoted. Hate how it saves that even after I posted it, Sorry about that.

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Huh , never said you did. I was referring to the video.

Edit:
oh I see now , messed up the edit on the quote. Because your post was already on from the previous time i quoted. Sorry about that.
Ah ok, sorry for assuming you did it on purpose lol. Yeah stuff you didn't post yet gets saved insanely long.

Sacul64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
This video was bad and disappointing. For reference my Shenmu experience is the GB endurance run and I dont think its for me. But Jim rallies against games made for the sake of making all the money with no passion behind them. This video is him bashing a creator that is clearly making the game he wants to because it does not make all the money? Like seriously I have defended JS in the past but this video is mean spirited.

Sacul64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Does he even monetize his videos? And if he wanted to make money, you think Shenmue of all games is the one he would want to do it with? The game he says himself gained barely any marketing and traction? Like, people aren't going to sub to his Patreon because of this.

The only vids he does not monetize are jimquisitions.