• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 30, 2017
Lakshya Digital Pvt. Ltd.
December 14, 2019 at 5:14 AM ·
Lakshya congratulates YS Net Inc. on the release of Shenmue III. It was an honour for Lakshya to work on this iconic game. Many lucky ones from Lakshya got the opportunity to create 83 characters over a period of almost one year. It is thanks to the confidence placed in us by Yu Suzuki san, CEO, YS Net Inc, and the entire team, that we could be true partners and provide effective solutions to deliver high quality content at the best value. We look forward to working on Shenmue IV very soon!

Source:

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Doesn't seem confirmed as much as hopeful.

GJ

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
They mentioned Shenmue IV in the credits and the game ends with a 'the story continues' message like 1 and 2, so this is no surprise, but it's nice to have a soft-confirmation that it's in the works. Can't wait!

IJ0AvGr.jpg

nsilvias

Oct 25, 2017
its more of we didnt mind working on it so if you give us more work when if shenmue iv exists we're down kind of thing

Meg Cherry

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
I'm genuinely very interested to know how much Yu Suzuki would get out of a Kickstarter, after Shenmue 3. Hardcore fans seemed to love it, but what percentage of that haul was just casual fans who didn't actually want a 100% authentic follow up to Shenmue?

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
Accidentally confirmed by explicitly stating it on social media?

Feels like the tone of that post is more of an ambitious hope for the future than a confirmation of any actual plans.

Who exactly is going to be funding development? I can't see crowdfunding working to anything like the same extent again in future, nor could I see a publisher footing the bill.

Unless it's going to be a visual novel.

GJ

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
Accidentally confirmed by explicitly stating it on social media?

Feels like the tone of that post is more of an ambitious hope for the future than a confirmation of any actual plans.

Who exactly is going to be funding development? I can't see crowdfunding working to anything like the same extent again in future, nor could I see a publisher footing the bill.

Unless it's going to be a visual novel.
A lot of the work has already been done with III. The combat system is in place, they have a lot of textures and models they can reuse, so IV would (probably) be cheaper to produce than III. And III was already made on a pretty tight budget. This is just speculation of course, but whoever funds IV probably doesn't have to invest that much.

eraFROMAN

One Winged Slayer
Mar 12, 2019
It's like if I said "I hope to play the next F-Zero soon!" That statement is true, but it doesn't mean there's a new F-Zero planned in any way

OP
OP
bell wood's jet cola
Oct 30, 2017
All you naysayers make good points, but Suzuki just said this the other day:

Q: What is your keyword for 2020?
YS: "A new project start".
Q: What is your New Year's Resolution?
YS: To leverage my know-how from Shenmue III and focus on planning a world with even more freedom

AwesomeSauce

Oct 25, 2017
Loved Shenmue III despite some issues.

Looking forward to improvements they can make for the sequel and the DLC.

AllMight1

Oct 27, 2017
Like i've said on the OT, with all the assets, models, enviromental work, fight engine already done for Shenmue 3, I would be surprised NONE if Yu Suzuki is already working on Shenmue 4 as we speak with Shenmue 5 planned too.

I would also like to add, that I too loved Shenmue 3, and I firmly believe, despite all the backlash, that just like the other 2 previous entries, it will be more and more appreciated with time. Patience is something that many people lack whether you see it or not, and it's something present in gaming, everyone needs that immediate reward.

Despite obvious flaws on Shenmue 3, it's a beautiful game that rewards the player with charming outcomes and badass ones.

Last edited:

DavidDesu

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Glasgow, Scotland
I've got my copy of 3 but not played it yet. Working my way through 1 and enjoying it. Looking forward to playing Shenmue 2 as I never completed that back in the day. Then onto 3. I don't see why there won't be a 4, if the hardcore want it and can fund it to similar levels, then why not? Keeps people in jobs and the fan base happy. The games don't have the same massive expense as they did back in the day and now much of the groundwork is done for future titles. Bring them on.

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
Part of me wouldn't be surprised if part of the reason for all the deals and such were to get 4 started without kickstarting again.

AllMight1

Oct 27, 2017
Part of me wouldn't be surprised if part of the reason for all the deals and such were to get 4 started without kickstarting again.
I'm positive no kickstarting will be necessary for S4

I guess I didn't realize III sold well enough to consider publishing another one - which will likely have less sales, due to less hype.

Who knows how this is being funded, I guess...

It won't be as expensive to produce as 3 since all assets are already there. And how is it gonna be funded? Most likely by the same publisher or another one. Simple.

How many Shenmues would be necessary to complete the story? Like 7 total?

Most Likely Yu will end it in 5.
Feels like it would be rushed if he were to end it on the next Shenmue.

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
Cool if true, but they got to end it in with 4 I feel. I understand with 3 they wanted to go on adventures with Shenhua, after she was built up throughtout the series, but I feel they've got to end it and not push their luck considering how hard it was to get 3 made.

they could say Lan Di was injured by his fotress burning and Ryo actually has a shot this time

I don't need to hear about original vision, Shenmue 2 was already 3 compressed games and cut chapter 2 on the boat, so it's not like they never compromised the vision before.

AshGambit

Sep 4, 2019
I was hesitant to play Shenmue 3, despite being a huge fan of the first two and backing the Kickstarter. However, once I started play I felt like I was a teenager in high school again discovering a wonderful world and culture. It felt like picking right up from the Dreamcast games and that was perfect for me. It wasn't perfect but there's nothing else like it. With the rushed ending I really hope we get a 4th game with more meat on the story.

Kalor

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
That message feels more hopeful rather than a confirmation. Though I fully expect it to happen.

eXistor

Oct 27, 2017
I don't exactly read that as any kind of confirmation, but I hope it's true. Shenmue 3 gets too much shit imo.

Fiery Phoenix

Oct 26, 2017
It's common to end messages like that with that sort of sentiment. Just a way to show appreciation. I wouldn't read too much into it.

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
I don't exactly read that as any kind of confirmation, but I hope it's true. Shenmue 3 gets too much shit imo.
Once the game came out, the response it what I expected to be honest. Some people laughed at the lost in translation dialogue and slow gameplay, and others appreciate the world and quirks, despite its flaws. 2 is a lot, lot better but whatever it was stll fun for me.

Bowl0l

Oct 27, 2017
Do we have a thread to track when we will get our physical KS goodies?
I am not a fan of paying $500 for a cardboard.

Siresly

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
Nothing's confirmed until the game is announced. Even then it could still get canceled.
Most everyone involved with the production of Shenmue III surely wants it to happen, doesn't mean it will.
If if does, I really hope companies owned by THQ Nordic/Embracer have nothing to do with it.

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
It'll happen.

All I ask for is a decent budget for Yu Suzuki!

Please?
I just hope it's good, and even better if the battle system is more like the old ones and they get rid of that repetitive stamina meter or change it so food just improved experience or something. It was cool to have the series back and I'm sure I'll revisit the game and its two awesome towns, but better if they can get it on track.

AtomicShroom

Tools & Automation
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Predictable. After the amount of investment that went into making Shenmue 3, they'd be crazy to not reuse the engine and most of the assets for a new game.

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
Predictable. After the amount of investment that went into making Shenmue 3, they'd be crazy to not reuse the engine and most of the assets for a new game.
Some people would argue they're crazy to keep making games for a series that is a money sink, but whatever I'll love more Shenmue. It just a series I can really chill at, I just like gambling or practising martial artes in the really quaint countryside town, it's so relaxing doing nothing sometimes. What's funny is Shenmue 2 was very action packed in Kolwloon.

LiS Matt

Jan 19, 2018
To me it definitely reads as more hopeful than genuine announcement

I have been kind of hoping all the weird business dealings over the latter part of the campaign was more designed to ensure funding for 4 than "we still need more money to finish 3"

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017

Yeah this, Deep Silver knows the potential based on the Kickstarter and this time they can actually make some money off of Shenmue. Tons of work has already been done and it would almost be negligent to not fund a sequel

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah this, Deep Silver knows the potential based on the Kickstarter and this time they can actually make some money off of Shenmue. Tons of work has already been done and it would almost be negligent to not fund a sequel
There was meant to be another town in Shenmue 3, Baisha Village. Shenmue 3 could have definitely done with more substance, but it might help if they have some of that town already made because potentially a lot of the story could happen there.

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
There was meant to be another town in Shenmue 3, Baisha Village. Shenmue 3 could have definitely done with more substance, but it might help if they have some of that town already made because potentially a lot of the story could happen there.

There is a Season Pass for 3 though, do we know what content is earmarked for that yet?

ffvorax

Oct 27, 2017
After loving SM1&2 and kickstarting 3, I wont kickstarter a SM4.
Why? Because 3 was a huge disappointment. It kept only the carisma of the series, but everything else was a huge dejavu, both on mechanics and events... also too many issues on the technical side... I wont blidnly pay again for another inconclusive chapter of the series... :\
But obviously, if its on the work, I will gladly wait for it and buy it at a fair price, depending if it will be a good sequel or not.