• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

orzkare

Apr 9, 2020
Japan
Q5 You previously mentioned that you recognize that the issue in the game console business is that past software cannot be played due to hardware generation changes and that content is initialized. However, now, by utilizing the Nintendo Account and making new hardware backward-compatible, it seems that content can be transferred semi-permanently in the dedicated game console business, just as with video games. I think there are both advantages and disadvantages to making newly released hardware backward compatible with previous hardware.

A5: Shigeru Miyamoto, Representative Director and Fellow.
We used to offer a system called "Virtual Console," which allowed people to play old software on new hardware. In comparison, video can be enjoyed for a long time as long as there is a playback environment. However, the rights for video are complicated, so Nintendo is proceeding with the project after ensuring that the rights are in place. Indeed, in the past, software development for game consoles was done in a dedicated development environment that differed for each hardware. Therefore, when the hardware changed, the development environment could not be taken over.
Therefore, software released on past hardware could not be played without modification.
Recently, however, the software development environment itself has gradually become more standardized, so it is generally easier to create a playback environment that allows software for past hardware to be played on new hardware than before. However, Nintendo's strength is in creating new games. With new hardware, we would like to propose unique games that cannot be realized on existing hardware.

Deleted member 81119

User-requested account closure
Banned
Sep 19, 2020
Makes sense. I'd like old games to be playable on new hardware, but I don't want new hardware being held back by having to be compatible with old controllers and the like.

Oct 25, 2017
You can focus on new experiences not possible on older consoles and still allow people to play the games that they bought.

You cannot try to make a digital storefront, try to drive people to said storefront and then tell them they can't play the games they paid for.

Backwards compatibly is going to be more important, now more than ever, moving forward.

Oneself

#TeamThierry
Oct 26, 2017
Montréal, Québec, Canada
Makes sense. I'd like old games to be playable on new hardware, but I don't want new hardware being held back by having to be compatible with old controllers and the like.
So they'll keep selling full price HD ports, Pro controllers etc. every new gen. And you'll keep giving them money

However, Nintendo's strength is in creating new games. With new hardware, we would like to propose unique games that cannot be realized on existing hardware.
This is BS. Backwards compatibility didn't stop them in the past.

May 15, 2019
I'm already eyeballing a Steamdeck, if Nintendo doesn't have full backwards compatibility with the Switch catalog on their next system I am 100% out. Why should I invest in a platform that will be abandoned in X years and require me to keep increasingly aging hardware around to access.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
With new hardware, we would like to propose unique games that cannot be realized on existing hardware.

in other words: "we want to make another Smash Bros game from scratch instead of making Ultimate playable on the next console so all of you have to buy it"

Ehoavash

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
If switch 2 is backwards compatible
Then

How else are they gonna resell Mario kart 8 botw 4k remasters etc

Neutron

Jun 2, 2022
Not spending a cent on digital Nintendo games until they come nice and clean about whether they're going to be any use moving forward.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
if their next console isn't BC then it won't be a Switch 2 at all

either he's (with all due respect to shiggy) talking out of his ass or hinting at the former

big_z

Nov 2, 2017
However, Nintendo's strength is in creating new games. With new hardware, we would like to propose unique games that cannot be realized on existing hardware.

Sounds like laying the groundwork for their next thing not being backwards compatible.

I'll give them a pass if they go deep into VR or the switch 2 has these for controllers.

1G9LuC.gif

Spring-Loaded

Oct 27, 2017
Sounds like laying the groundwork for their next thing not being backwards compatible.

I'll give them a pass if they go deep into VR or the switch 2 has these for controllers.

1G9LuC.gif

SwitchU is gonna center around audio control and launch with Star Fox 02 where it's controlled entirely with voice commands

Gitaroo

Nov 3, 2017
if they are continuing with nvidia Soc, is there a reason why BC would become an issue? Unless we are talking about them ditching Arm CPU entirely.

StereoVSN

Nov 1, 2017
Eastern US
If Switch 2 isn't backwards compatible it's just LOL. Will be done with them then. That said, I very much doubt they would be that insane.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Well yeah...Smash ultimate, Mario kart 8 are games from 2014. New hardware will give us better graphics

I don't really think I need "better graphics" in a Smash Bros. game, especially if it comes at the expense of most (or even some) of the roster being cut. Graphics are not why I come to Smash.

I already have a Steam Deck, so if Nintendo tries to pull a Wii U -> Switch transition again I'm pretty much out for good.

Dolce

Oct 25, 2017
This is BS. Backwards compatibility didn't stop them in the past.

NES, SNES, N64 weren't BC. GameCube wasn't BC with N64, Wii was with GC because it was basically the same hardware. They went out of their way to add Wii BC to Wii U, thankfully. Switch wasn't BC with anything.

GB, GBC and GBA were fully BC. DS was only compatible with GBA. 3DS was only compatible with DS.

Orioto

Oct 26, 2017
Paris
It brings the question of Nintendo and innovations. Now that they want to keep a coherent ecosystem for their games and consoles, and especially now that they have the "perfect" formula with the hybrid, will that make hardware innovation for next consoles difficult? Are we now in an era of all Nintendo consoles being just more powerful than the one before with the same concept ? I wonder what are the possible innovations we could see for example with the next switch, beyond confort stuff.

Rahkeesh

Jun 20, 2022
I'm already eyeballing a Steamdeck, if Nintendo doesn't have full backwards compatibility with the Switch catalog on their next system I am 100% out. Why should I invest in a platform that will be abandoned in X years and require me to keep increasingly aging hardware around to access.

This is definitely the case with Nintendo. Their BC has only ever gone back one generation. Switch 3 will not be able to play Switch 1 games.

When you're getting into two decades out there's often similar issues with Steam as well as Windows does slowly change. Although Deck is uniquely positioned in that you can effectively run an older windows environment with an older proton.

elLOaSTy

Oct 27, 2017
Man its going to be an epic fumbke if its not a switch 2 next.

I expect nothing less tbh

ap_2

Jan 23, 2021
Shiggy
Baby
You're overthinking this
ALL I WANT
Is a Switch 2 that plays Switch games
I will GIVE you 300 dollars, maybe more
All I need is another Switch
Please

Nov 1, 2017
I honestly agree with them. Can't innovate if you're stuck in the past.

I don't have time for old joints anyway when there's so much quality new stuff coming out.

You can only play so many games 🤷🏾‍♂️

Ehoavash

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
I don't really think I need "better graphics" in a Smash Bros. game, especially if it comes at the expense of most (or even some) of the roster being cut. Graphics are not why I come to Smash.

I already have a Steam Deck, so if Nintendo tries to pull a Wii U -> Switch transition again I'm pretty much out for good.

Then bye. Mk8D's new dlc shows that Nintendo software needs to enter a new generation. 2014 has been a long time. We need a new smash, new kart, with ps4 level of visual fidelity

LegendofLex

Nov 20, 2017
What he's saying is the core value proposition for their next hardware will be games that cannot be realized on existing hardware.

He's dodging the question because Nintendo isn't ready to actually talk about new hardware yet.

disparate

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It sounds like he's saying backwards compat is good and not as challenging anymore but he's against cross-gen games.

GaussTek

Oct 30, 2017
The Switch is so successful and soooo many games have been released for it (way more than any previous Nintendo console if I'm not mistaken) that it would be pretty stupid to release a successor without BC IMO.

RoastBeeph

Oct 29, 2017
In this day and age, not having BC out of the box is ludicrous. Sure some titles won't be able to be played due to licensing issues but the vast majority of titles should be expected to be playable on the next Gen of a company's console imo.

Extra Sauce

Oct 27, 2017
I'll buy a backup Switch before I buy a Switch successor that does not play Switch games

(and then later on I'll buy the successor)

Diogo Arez

One Winged Slayer
Oct 20, 2020
If Switch 2 releases without BC it'll be one of the most idiotic moves Nintendo ever made

Oct 27, 2017
"However, Nintendo's strength is in creating new games. With new hardware, we would like to propose unique games that cannot be realized on existing hardware."

Yeah Ok.. Thats why 1/3 of the new first party Switch games are wiiu/wii remakes? Nintendo changes there narrative with the direction of the company. But I guess they cant say, "We didn't bring the VC because everyone already bought stuff and we want you to pay for it again."

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
Wasn't the whole NX concept was a unified platform going forward?

Ushojax

Oct 30, 2017
I don't really think that quote means no BC. It means Nintendo's focus will be on providing new experiences. That has always been the case.

That he bothered to refer to the more standardised development environment surely means BC is more likely, not less. He just gave an answer to shareholders that made clear their focus will be new software.

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017
The new Switch will be backwards compatible. Stop worrying.

Then bye. Mk8D's new dlc shows that Nintendo software needs to enter a new generation. 2014 has been a long time. We need a new smash, new kart, with ps4 level of visual fidelity

The new Mario Kart DLC that looks worse than the MK8 vanilla tracks shows that budget and manpower have a lot to do with visual fidelity. It doesn't say anything about hardware capability.

Kinthey

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Except for a few Joycon games the Switch doesn't have any games I can think of that are uniquely tied to its hardware, so even if their next console has some crazy controller there's no excuse for Switch games to not be backwardscompatible

Skies

Oct 25, 2017
I fully trust that Nintendo would prioritizing game development for such a decision to ditch backwards compatibility (not that I think they necessarily will for Switch 2). But it is interesting how legacy content offerings has become a major asset in maintaining subscribers for each of the big three. You could even argue that offering backwards compatibility lessens the appeal of the subscription service.

Which makes me wonder if the NEXT generation of consoles (Switch 3, Next Xbox, and PS6) will continue to offer BC for digital and/or physical games you bought on Switch/Xbox One/PS4 games.

KennyLinder

Game Designer at EA
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Except for a few Joycon games the Switch doesn't have any games I can think of that are uniquely tied to its hardware, so even if their next console has some crazy controller there's no excuse for Switch games to not be backwardscompatible

I think this is the sensible thinking here tbh. There's been many cases where BC was off the table with new Nintendo systems, but surely the next system after Switch is just an evolutionary model - they've done what everyone pretty much wanted and had one console that can do both TV and portable play. Now just make it..better.

Or, they'll fuck it up entirely with a Switch U.

We've gotta be due a leak or two on Dev kits and details soon right? I think most would agree it's time!

rochellepaws

Oct 25, 2017
Ireland
Bizarre comments. How many of the major Switch games couldn't have been realised on Wii U?

They completely gave up on unique concepts centered on the the joycons after a few attempts.

dlauv

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Sounds like he's saying it's easier to make console BC now, but also "We believe in generations."

mattyhochs

May 9, 2018
Miyamoto says this after they already ported half the Wii U library to Switch with barely any modifications.

catpurrcat

Oct 27, 2017
Fully expecting something bizarre like digital games are backwards compatible, but the cartridges will not be.

Shroki

Oct 27, 2017
Bizarre comments. How many of the major Switch games couldn't have been realised on Wii U?

They completely gave up on unique concepts centered on the the joycons after a few attempts.

In truth, most of what Nintendo releases can work on any other console at any time and the gimmicks they include in their hardware design are always widely ignored.

Switch is largely successful because it offered console gaming in a handheld package, not because of Joycons. If anything, it's successful in spite of Joycons. This has long been a problem with Miyamoto's perspective IMO.

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017
The system will be backwards compatible. There is 0 reason to think it wont be. Even the question asked suggests that they want BC. And Nintendo's record on BC is good. They're working with Nvidia and they are using standardized components. Why would we think they would abandon BC?