• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Who would win?

• Shin Godzilla

Votes: 102 69.9%
  • Monsterverse Godzilla

Votes: 44 30.1%

• Total voters

HammerFace

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Yes, Legendary Godzilla got knocked down, but it just finished a tag team fight with 2 monsters and was tired.. Shin just awoke from his nap and got bitch slapped by a couple of trains and couldn't get back up.

Second of all, the evolution thing looks very slow. Shin Godzilla was very vulnerable.
Shin just got finished expending significantly more energy than legendary does prior to getting 2 buffs in a row. He has a right to be sleepy.

Ehh slow is kind of relative. It wasn't even a day before it the flesh grows eyes. Additionally shin rendered the entire immediate area toxic until radiation decays which I'm sure would've been enough time for the spare bits to form something formidable.

Also I'm pretty sure if KotM had it's legs attacked it'd be going down as well. Them boys are top heavy.

Arkeband

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
Even if Monsterverse Zilla blew a hole in Shin, it'd regenerate or have reincarnated like Cell and have already burrowed parasites inside of Monsterverse or something.

The only way to really be sure Shin is dead is if you vaporized it immediately before it began to evolve, and even then you'd need to scour the planet to vaporize any DNA traces it may have left before emerging.

That fight video in the OP is really cool, though.

Chasing

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Reminder that Anno was going to have Shin evolve into a fuckin Angel.
shingodzillaab27.jpg

So maybe KotM Zilla blast shin into two. Well, that just means there's now two Shins.
shin-godzilla-concept-art-4.jpg

Oh, and it can spawn off its own mini Godzillas.
shingodzillaab26.jpg

Shin was akin to an alien horror entity in the way it keeps growing and adapting. KoTM might be the strongest natural living being but will have no way of stopping the sheer adaptability without human interference.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Reminder that Anno was going to have Shin evolve into a fuckin Angel.
shingodzillaab27.jpg

So maybe KotM Zilla blast shin into two. Well, that just means there's now two Shins.
shin-godzilla-concept-art-4.jpg

Oh, and it can spawn off its own mini Godzillas.
shingodzillaab26.jpg

Shin was akin to an alien horror entity in the way it keeps growing and adapting. KoTM might the strongest natural living being but will have no way of stopping the sheer adaptability without human interference.
Fitting considering Shin is basically an Angel and acts more like one than the actual Godzilla.
Shin just got finished expending significantly more energy than legendary does prior to getting 2 buffs in a row. He has a right to be sleepy.

Ehh slow is kind of relative. It wasn't even a day before it the flesh grows eyes. Additionally shin rendered the entire immediate area toxic until radiation decays which I'm sure would've been enough time for the spare bits to form something formidable.

Also I'm pretty sure if KotM had it's legs attacked it'd be going down as well. Them boys are top heavy.
You left out how the Legendary Godzilla had been chasing the Male Muto since Hawaii and had just fought two monsters at the same time. After Shin's big attack it was basically immobile for weeks making it just one big giant target and that was just to take out some planes.

HammerFace

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Fitting considering Shin is basically an Angel and acts more like one than the actual Godzilla.

You left out how the Legendary Godzilla had been chasing the Male Muto since Hawaii and had just fought two monsters at the same time. After Shin's big attack it was basically immobile for weeks making it just one big giant target and that was just to take out some planes.

After KotM chasing something around the world isn't impressive. He just pops in and out of holes underwater and covers thousands of miles in moments.

Sure the fights in which he didn't use his atomic energy at all I think. Whereas Shin wasted more energy than we had seen Legendary use through all of 2014 and like 2/3rds of KotM combined. And shin still had enough to fuck up planes while dormant! Shin earned his nap.

Also I don't think the nap was weeks long. Pretty sure it was a few days at most. I might be misremembering that point.

Billfisto

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
Everyone's all "Monsterverse could beat Shin" when you really mean "Monsterverse could beat Shin's current form."

Sure, Arnold Schwarzenegger can beat up a baby. But if that baby was effectively immortal as long as the slightest trace of it remained, and it constantly adapted to counter new threats? No way Arnie's beating the seventeenth iteration of that baby.

Oct 25, 2017
After KotM chasing something around the world isn't impressive. He just pops in and out of holes underwater and covers thousands of miles in moments.

Sure the fights in which he didn't use his atomic energy at all I think. Whereas Shin wasted more energy than we had seen Legendary use through all of 2014 and like 2/3rds of KotM combined. And shin still had enough to fuck up planes while dormant! Shin earned his nap.

Also I don't think the nap was weeks long. Pretty sure it was a few days at most. I might be misremembering that point.
The going into hollow earth thing was from the sequel, and the military followed him all the way to San Francisco going by the first film. It was either a few days or weeks I can't remember the exact date for Shin. When the military finally attacks him it only takes a few minutes or even seconds for him to waste all of his energy and run out and become defenseless all over again.

He's the definition of a glass canon going by his film which is why he has to form human hybrids to deal with all of those pesky humans.

Also no other Godzilla, including the Legendary one has ever shown him to have limited or a certain amount of atomic breath until Shin. They can pretty much do it as long as they want and for far longer. While having much stronger durability.

Everyone's all "Monsterverse could beat Shin" when you really mean "Monsterverse could beat Shin's current form."

Sure, Arnold Schwarzenegger can beat up a baby. But if that baby was effectively immortal as long as the slightest trace of it remained, and it constantly adapted to counter new threats? No way Arnie's beating the seventeenth iteration of that baby.
We're going by what the actual movie shows not what he could be. Shin's evolution wouldn't do it much good when it's so slow and has to produce something stronger than a nuke to kill the Legendary version.

Billfisto

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
We're going by what the actual movie shows not what he could be. Shin's evolution wouldn't do it much good when it's so slow and has to produce something stronger than a nuke to kill the Legendary version.

The movie shows exactly what Shin Godzilla is - an incredibly hard-to-totally-kill force that is able to eventually get around to countering any threat.

One skirmish, yes, Monsterverse would probably win. He ain't winnin' that war, though. Starscream Rodan's going to be bowing down before Shin eventually.

Scarlet Spider

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn, NY
Did you guys even watch the movie? A huge chunk of Shin was blown off by a bomb. That's when it decided to use its beam weapon. If he didn't shoot the planes down, he would have been blown to bits. That scene shows that if they had dropped a nuke, it would have destroyed Shin. Let's not forget Shin Godzilla was knocked over by exploding trains and force fed chemicals.
Huge chunk? It was a small dorsal plate. Did you see the movie? He reacted when it came off, he looked completely fine after the bunker buster and unleashed his atomic breath.

People didn't seem to notice Shin improving his usage of his atomic breath. After his initial usage he was able to adapt to fire off even more shots without immediately going into hibernation. Shin is an ever evolving, yet new creature unlike Monsterverse Godzilla who is an ancient veteran. You can slow down and impede Shin but he will always come back.

Oct 25, 2017
The movie shows exactly what Shin Godzilla is - an incredibly hard-to-totally-kill force that is able to eventually get around to countering any threat.

One skirmish, yes, Monsterverse would probably win. He ain't winnin' that war, though. Starscream Rodan's going to be bowing down before Shin eventually.
Hard to kill? Yet it's taken down by a couple of train explosions and it's strongest attack puts it out of commission for at least a couple of days and is nowhere near nuke level. Do you expect the Legendary version to just sit there and wait for it to regain it's energy again for days?

Even the 1954 version had to be killed with a super weapon that could take out the entire ocean and that's probably the weakest version of Godzilla.

HammerFace

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
The going into holes thing was from the sequel, and the military followed him all the way to San Francisco going by the first film. It was either a few days or weeks I can't remember the exact date for Shin, but when the military attacks him, it only takes a few minutes for him to waste all of his energy and run out and basically become defenseless again.

He's the definition of a glass canon going by his film which is why he has to form human hybrids to deal with all of those pesky humans.

Also no other Godzilla, including the Legendary one has ever shown him to have limited or a certain amount of atomic breath until Shin. They can pretty much do it as long as they want and for far longer.

Wasn't there like one or two occasions that Monarch lost 2014 zilla while he was swimming?

I don't remember seeing previous Godzillas (outside of showa silliness of flying) using an atomic breath for more than a few seconds at a time from a single orifice. Whereas we had 9-12 equally powerful atomic rays going for several minutes continuously.

And you're right he's a glass cannon, but he hasn't been defeated yet. Just immobilized. He is coming back eventually.

Also let's throw in that KotM showed Godzilla basically jobbing the whole film, even after being roided twice. He nearly died after getting a nuke and getting a Mothra power up. He needed several crutches to finally beat Ghidorah once. Legendary Godzilla isn't that strong really.

Oct 25, 2017
Wasn't there like one or two occasions that Monarch lost 2014 zilla while he was swimming?

I don't remember seeing previous Godzillas (outside of showa silliness of flying) using an atomic breath for more than a few seconds at a time from a single orifice. Whereas we had 9-12 equally powerful atomic rays going for several minutes continuously.

And you're right he's a glass cannon, but he hasn't been defeated yet. Just immobilized. He is coming back eventually.

Also let's throw in that KotM showed Godzilla basically jobbing the whole film, even after being roided twice. He nearly died after getting a nuke and getting a Mothra power up. He needed several crutches to finally beat Ghidorah once. Legendary Godzilla isn't that strong really.
He nearly died because he had the oxygen destroyer dropped on him while fighting Ghidorah, which is a super weapon specially designed to kill him. It's also the only weapon in the entire series capable of killing him as shown in the 1954 film. That's why it's creator immediately kills himself after using it once, so it's never used again by people.

And yes, the director confirmed Godzilla would have defeated Ghidorah there if the humans had not got in the way.
https://www.cbr.com/michael-dougherty-godzilla-stronger-than-king-ghidorah/

When asked why was Ghidorah trapped in Antarctica in the beginning of the film by a fan on Twitter, Dougherty admitted he fought Godzilla there prior, lost and remained trapped in the icy tomb which Monarch would find him in. This gave Godzilla the crown in that ancient brawl and the director added this would eventually have been the outcome once more had Monarch not blasted the duo with the Oxygen Destroyer in Mexican waters.

BLOODED_hands

Oct 25, 2017
It's called a No Limits Fallacy. Shin Godzilla can adapt and come back but so can Legendary Godzilla. One cannot argue for the other while both sides are able to do the same.

One cannot simply use the Doomsday argument because we haven't seen the upper limits of what Shin G can do and cannot do. Doomsday has adapted to x, y, and z but one cannot make the argument that Doomsday would survive and adapt to the onslaught the likes of someone stronger than the Justice League. This is basically what children argue about aka, "nuh uh my character can beat your character because he/she can just adapt to it!"

We simply have to compare what they have both done, what both have been hit with, and etc.

Bring the feats. The fan-calcs. The scaling between the two.

HammerFace

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
He nearly died because he had the oxygen destroyer dropped on him while fighting Ghidorah which is a super weapon specially designed to kill him. It's also the only weapon in the entire series capable of killing him as shown in the 1954 film. That's why it's creator immediately kills himself after using it once, so it's never used again by people.

And yes the director confirmed Godzilla would have defeated Ghidorah there if the humans had not got in the way.
https://www.cbr.com/michael-dougherty-godzilla-stronger-than-king-ghidorah/
Yes I know what oxygen destroyer is. I'm talking about during the Boston show down. When Godzilla has been buffed twice and still almost dies. And I don't consider trapping Ghidorah in ice as a win. That's like a stalemate to me really.

MechaX

Oct 27, 2017
Hard to kill? Yet it's taken down by a couple of train explosions and it's strongest attack puts it out of commission for at least a couple of days and is nowhere near nuke level. Do you expect the Legendary version to just sit there and wait for it to regain it's energy again for days?

Uh, the trains were more to keep Godzilla unbalanced for a second before they shoved the coagulant into its mouth. Monsterverse Godzilla gets immobilized by buildings falling on it sometimes, it's the exact same principle. I mean, the trains weren't meant to do jack shit but get the cranes close enough to use the coagulant to freeze it and the movie was pretty obvious about this.

And yeah, the first time it used its atomic breath (in a way that was actually quite different from most Godzilla incarnations) did take it out of commission the first time; then the second time it uses atomic breaths by its mouth and tail for minutes before needing to recharge. And even then, it recharged in minutes and would have likely kept going (remember, the folks at the base noted an increase in Godzilla's radioactivity for a second despite being administered most of the coagulant) if he didn't freeze. Shin was clearly getting more and more adapt at using its breath for prolonged periods during Operation Yashiori.

Oct 25, 2017
Yes I know what oxygen destroyer is. I'm talking about during the Boston show down. When Godzilla has been buffed twice and still almost dies. And I don't consider trapping Ghidorah in ice as a win. That's like a stalemate to me really.
The article says specifically says he was there because he was defeated Godzilla before by the actual director and would have been defeated later by Godzilla that's about as official as it gets. Ghidorah also buffs himself during the Boston fight by absorbing all of the electricity from Boston from the power lines.

Uh, the trains were more to keep Godzilla unbalanced for a second before they shoved the coagulant into its mouth. Monsterverse Godzilla gets immobilized by buildings falling on it sometimes, it's the exact same principle. I mean, the trains weren't meant to do jack shit but get the cranes close enough to use the coagulant to freeze it and the movie was pretty obvious about this.

And yeah, the first time it used its atomic breath (in a way that was actually quite different from most Godzilla incarnations) did take it out of commission the first time; then the second time it uses atomic breaths by its mouth and tail for minutes before needing to recharge. And even then, it recharged in minutes and would have likely kept going (remember, the folks at the base noted an increase in Godzilla's radioactivity for a second despite being administered most of the coagulant) if he didn't freeze. Shin was clearly getting more and more adapt at using its breath for prolonged periods during Operation Yashiori.
You're forgetting that Shin is knocked down twice the first by a building and then once again with train car explosions. The first is something that could knock down the Legendary Godzilla the latter not so much.

We visibly see him run out of energy during the second attack and he's taking out long enough for them to pump him full of coagulation. I don't ever remember them mentioning his radiation level only the amount of dosage of coagulation administrated while they're counting down it's percent. When he gets back up shortly the 2nd time he simply freezes and there's no indication he's about to fire another beam anywhere or even if he has any energy left to use another one.

HammerFace

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
The article says specifically says he was there because he was defeated by the director and would have been defeated by Godzilla that's about as official as it gets. Ghidorah also buffs himself during the Boston fight by absorbing all of the electricity from Boston from the power lines.

You're forgetting that Shin is knocked down twice the first by a building and then once again with train car explosions. The first is something that could knock down the Legendary Godzilla the latter not so much.

We visibly see him run out of energy during the second attack and he's taking out long enough for them to pump him full of coagulation. I don't ever remember them mentioning his radiation level only the amount of dosage administrated. When he gets back up shortly the 2nd time he freezes and there's no indication he's about to fire another beam anywhere or even if he has any energy left to use another one.

The director says it's a win, sure. I understand that. I'm just saying I don't consider it a win because Ghidorah was still alive in basically pristine condition. That's just setting up the inevitable rematch.

The power line buff shouldn't be enough to overcome a nuke and Mothra's energy. That's just silly.

Oct 25, 2017
The director says it's a win, sure. I understand that. I'm just saying I don't consider it a win because Ghidorah was still alive in basically pristine condition. That's just setting up the inevitable rematch.

The power line buff shouldn't be enough to overcome a nuke and Mothra's energy. That's just silly.
Even if you don't count the first than you'd have to count the 2nd time where the director/writer states that "Yes, Godzilla would beaten Ghidorah if the humans didn't interfere and hit him with the Oxygen Destroyer."

The nuke was and is only used to revive Godzilla because he got hit by the Oxygen Destroyer and needed to recover from that not Ghidorah himself. So they weren't ever on equal footing to begin with after it hits.

Team_Feisar

Jan 16, 2018
Legendary Godzilla is probably more impressive regarding his on-screen feats but he is in the end still a living being, made of flesh and blood and ultimately adhering to nature's very primal law of being able to die.
Meanwhile, Shin Godzilla is more like a cancerous perversion to the very idea of natural life, a sickness to the essence of how life works on this planet.
I'm pretty sure Shin Godzilla is truly not killable because he operates outside of natural ideas of life and death, so in the end, he will win.

Last_colossi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Australia
Again, it can't be overstated that Shin Godzilla is more of an apocalyptic event vs an actual living creature with a precise goal.

This scene was cut, but you can easily see how it'd be canon considering the tail shit.

mania-done-20170405174359_xbsvreqr.jpg

The chunks of flesh being blown off of him were beginning to become their own life forms with teeth and eyes for fucks sake.

Who knows what that tail is going to become the next time he wakes up?

7gydJeh.jpg

Doing damage to Shin Godzilla was just giving it another avenue of evolution ultimately.

What do you do against a creature that spawns more horrifying madness from the wounds you create on it that it ultimately heals anyway? lol

It's so depressing they're not making a sequel...

SpankyDoodle

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah Shin can regrow if parts of him are blown off and freezing him is just a timer waiting for him to thaw, that's why you gonna incinerate him. KotM gotta give him a hit of that Burning Godzilla mixed in with his endless hellfire breath and Shin will turn to a crisp. DNA can't do shit when it's been torched to ash!

Parch

Nov 6, 2017
Shin should win, but regular Godzilla would figure out a way to make it a draw.