• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

www.heypoorplayer.com

Shin Megami Tensei V Has Taken the Series to a New Level, and It’s Absolutely Incredible

Talk about leaps and bounds! Development Hell is a scary place for both games and their eagerly awaiting fans. Not only does tossing a game into its hungry maw ensure that players won't get to play
themakoreactor.com

Shin Megami Tensei V Preview – A Lot of Promise and an Amazing Soundtrack So Far • The Mako Reactor

Shin Megami Tensei V is shaping up to be something special on Nintendo Switch. Read our Shin Megami Tensei V preview here based on the opening hours of the game.
www.polygon.com

As a Persona player, Shin Megami Tensei 5 felt dark, challenging, and intriguing

The game has a lot to offer fans of Atlus’ JRPGs
www.gamepur.com

Shin Megami Tensei V feels like catching up with an old friend – hands-on impressions preview

Godhood awaits you in this incredibly polished successor to the Shin Megami Tensei franchise.
nintendowire.com

Preview - Shin Megami Tensei V lives up to the series' desolate, difficult legacy

The Shin Megami Tensei series proper has held itself up with various pillars and recurring features. Gameplay systems like demon negotiation and the press
www.shacknews.com

Shin Megami Tensei 5 hands-on preview: Lost in New Tokyo

Shin Megami Tensei 5 is aiming to usher the iconic franchise into a new era while staying true to its roots.
bloody-disgusting.com

[Hands-On Preview] ‘Shin Megami Tensei V’ is Shaping Up to Be a Modern Spin on ‘Nocturne’

Shin Megami Tensei V is the latest entry in the Shin Megami Tensei franchise coming to Nintendo Switch on November 11. This series, while having a sizable fanbase, has been overshadowed by its spin-off franchise, Persona. The last fully original 3D game in the series was 2003’s Shin Megami...

Last edited:

Fendoreo1

Jan 1, 2019
Seems like people are really liking the game but its an incredibly strict embargo, limited to like the opening hour or 2 of the game with no real new info.

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017
I don't even own a Switch, and I'll probably pick this up. Fortunately I have a friend that has multiple Switches and he's currently letting me borrow one. I think waiting four years for a "Switch Pro" is enough. ☹️

That polygon preview 🪦

Personally, I won't miss any of that additional "stuff" from P5. I can't stand the social sim crap and greatly prefer the main SMT series.

Tora

The Enlightened Wise Ones
Jun 17, 2018
Bruh that Polygon preview lol

I don't even own a Switch, and I'll probably pick this up. Fortunately I have a friend that has multiple Switches and he's currently letting me borrow one. I think waiting four years for a "Switch Pro" is enough. ☹️
Might be coming to PC if the Nvidia leak is to be believed (at this point it is)

Tora

The Enlightened Wise Ones
Jun 17, 2018
Oh, hmm. Wonder if there will be a delay though. Was there a simultaneous release of SMT3 on both the consoles and PC?
Definitely won't be coming to PC at launch, unsure when it could release but if you don't own a Switch, you may as well wait a little bit (1 year possibly)?

Wishy-Washy

Nov 26, 2017
Didn't the Nivida leak also have some sort of Mario or Zelda game on it as well. Pretty sure that list while having some genuine leaks on it also included some stuff that can be run on Nivida stuff but will not get a Steam release.

Personally, I won't miss any of that additional "stuff" from P5. I can't stand the social sim crap and greatly prefer the main SMT series.
They are completely different, the article is terrible with the constant comparisons. The author brings up that they miss hanging out with friends and dating multiple times as if the game doesn't take place in a damn apocalypse.

Fendoreo1

Jan 1, 2019
Definitely won't be coming to PC at launch, unsure when it could release but if you don't own a Switch, you may as well wait a little bit (1 year possibly)?
that Nvidia leak also had a lot of speculative stuff and stuff that if it does come will no come for years and years. I doubt one of the first revealed switch games will come particularly soon, though it probably will come eventually(my bet is 2023)

Capra

Oct 25, 2017
That polygon preview 🪦

I... do people just like, not know dungeon crawlers exist? It's weird because I always thought Persona was the outlier in an entire genre with all the social sim stuff but it feels like to a lot of people it's their only exposure and the standard to compare against.

Kain-Nosgoth

Oct 25, 2017
Switzerland
Without spoiling, what does that pooygon preview says?

also any words on difficulty? If its like the latest atlus releases, i'll probably have to start the game on hard

HylianSeven

Shin Megami TC - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
I was apparently beaten by 3 minutes in my preview thread. I requested it locked.

Leafshield

Nov 22, 2019
Can't say I'm overly interested in Persona fans talking about how any SMT game isn't Persona with all the attendant high school cliches/social links. In the same way that people don't bother filling up Persona articles with how it doesn't have enough forming warbands of merged demons in destroyed cities while the terrified survivors fight for their existence.

dedge

Sep 15, 2019
For people, like the reviewer, that are coming into this game from Persona, that review is super helpful. And it's positive on the game!

HylianSeven

Shin Megami TC - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
For people, like the reviewer, that are coming into this game from Persona, that review is super helpful. And it's positive on the game!
I felt that in the first half of it, but definitely the "It's a stripped down P5R" bullshit is absurd no matter how you look at it.

Fendoreo1

Jan 1, 2019
SMT Network says no dungeons in 10 hours, areas are huge and there's parts with 20-30 demons in sight at once, likes the characters and says the story has been surprising him and doesn't feel like going through the SMT motions, has hit a few roadblock bosses and needed to grind and fuse already. Says dub is generally good, Tao's VA he isn't too certain on as apparently she hasn't been around much. Likes Aogami and the Prime Minister and said Aogami is less overbearing than Dagda. Atlus has shown way less of the game in trailers than you'd think

Will post some more as I watch more

OP
OP
ILikeFeet

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Mako Reactor's preview:
themakoreactor.com

Shin Megami Tensei V Preview – A Lot of Promise and an Amazing Soundtrack So Far • The Mako Reactor

Shin Megami Tensei V is shaping up to be something special on Nintendo Switch. Read our Shin Megami Tensei V preview here based on the opening hours of the game.

Hey Poor Player's preview

www.heypoorplayer.com

Shin Megami Tensei V Has Taken the Series to a New Level, and It’s Absolutely Incredible

Talk about leaps and bounds! Development Hell is a scary place for both games and their eagerly awaiting fans. Not only does tossing a game into its hungry maw ensure that players won't get to play

Check out this q and a

Gives way more information than most previews, I'll post some highlights in spoilers from what I was able to gather
added

Atom

Jul 25, 2021
That polygon preview is honestly not great. Seems to have completely approached the game in the wrong way with preconceptions about what it should be rather than what it is and lacks any real attempt to understand why the differences could be particularly appealing to some. Some truly horrendous quotes in there. It's like someone writing a review of Sonic Mania as a 2D Mario fan and just not getting how different emphases can be appealing.

In general not a fan of when outlets make people without the appropriate context preview or review entries in long running and influential series. It feels like it does a disservice to the reader base and fans alike. I get that obviously sometimes resources are constrained but it feels like a subpar outcome for all. There are cases in which these sorts of adjacent-fan type reviews can work but I think it requires a brushing up on series appeal and open mindedness that is often lacking, presumably again due to time constraints.

Regardless, excited for the game. Will double dip on switch and PC if it comes later.

Oct 27, 2017
I have a 4 day weekend when this launches and with FH5 out the same week, this is going to be a tremendous time! Can't wait to play SMT 5

The Dark Soul

Jan 2, 2020
México
This is my most anticipated game of the year. I hope I can finish Nocturne Remaster on time!

The Polygon preview is a fucking joke LMAO. I honestly regret giving them a click.

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
The "wtf why isn't this like Persona?!" takes are going to be rampant once reviews drop for this game, and I am not looking forward to that

What I am looking forward to is actually playing this game myself because it looks fucking rad

OP
OP
ILikeFeet

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
get ready for part 2 yall

EYt_cBlX0AACphz.jpg

Vic20

Nov 10, 2019
I don't really see the problem with the polygon preview, the author is giving their perspective as a persona player.

Leafshield

Nov 22, 2019
I don't really see the problem with the polygon preview, the author is giving their perspective as a persona player.
Maybe they should have done a preview talking about what SMT is from the perspective of the vast majority of readers who aren't looking for information through the lens of Persona? All I learned from this is that it's not the same as a different RPG about high schoolers. Something that's pretty obvious.