• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

ultra bawl

User requested ban
Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Kaneko's Lilith is obviously amazing but I think the SMT4 design is great and fits the game. It's also a big reveal moment and something of that scale works better for that.

And I've said it before and I'll say it again, it's got one of, if not the best soundtrack on the 3DS. The main theme from the title screen sets the tone pretty perfectly and when it returns during the credits it works perfectly as a way to close the game, gave me chills. Also, this is an absolute banger. (title of that track may spoil something if you've not finished the game)

randomelder

Oct 26, 2017
I've been toying with a take that SMT4 Lucifer, as bad as it is, is > than SMT4A Lucifer. That's how much the big stupid-looking hand and dumb cartoonish grin bother me.

Apocalypse Medusa's posing emphasizing her cleavage is pretty dumb too considering the whole point of Medusa is you're supposed to want to look at her face. The naturalistic nudity of MT1 Medusa ends up looking much more dignified and appropriate.

OP
OP
HylianSeven

HylianSeven

Shin Megami TC - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
If they ever release a remasterization of SMT IV, I hope they replace many of the weird demon designs the game had with the original ones designed by Kaneko.

Lilith's old design should be back:

And get avoid of this thing whatever is supposed to be:

hqdefault.jpg

At least they used the original Lilith in Persona 5

Yeah Lilith was one of the biggest atrocities in SMTIV. That thing has almost no consistency with the actual lore of the demon, while the Kaneko version is a unique but fitting take on it.

I found Medusa's design ugly as fuck, to be honest. Doi's Lucifer was better then that...thing in IV with the weird arm thing going on. Doi fixed it the best he could in Apocalypse. Kaneko's interpretations of Lucifer are still the best though. I liked Doi's designs for
YHVH and Dagda
in Apocalypse.

God I hope they re-use Dagda in future games. It was honestly one of my favorite Doi designs. Re-use it in SMTV, future Persona games, and other spinoffs. It's a great design.

ClearMetal

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
Speaking of designs, I don't mind the not unified art style ? I never thought of demons as a unified art style in any SMT, they blend so much things together. I haven't played Apocalypse yet but comparing SMT4 Medusa to Doi Medusa that I saw earlier. I'd take SMT4 any day of the week. She looked fearsome, made my skin crawl.
I thought she looked very rough in SMT IV. Like the artist sketched something, colored it real quick and called it a day.

Doi's design from Apocalypse was fantastic. I like Doi's style in general, I won't lie. He just needs to work on adding the subtilities that Kaneko added to his artwork. Sometimes less is more.

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
Kaneko's Lilith is obviously amazing but I think the SMT4 design is great and fits the game. It's also a big reveal moment and something of that scale works better for that.

And I've said it before and I'll say it again, it's got one of, if not the best soundtrack on the 3DS. The main theme from the title screen sets the tone pretty perfectly and when it returns during the credits it works perfectly as a way to close the game, gave me chills. Also, this is an absolute banger. (title of that track may spoil something if you've not finished the game)

Praying with all my might that the same composer works on SMT5

ClearMetal

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands

That last one is great.

I personally love the Fiend theme. Better than the one from Nocturne I think.

Some of the Apocalypse tracks were amazing as well:

The part starting at 1:30 is pure, undiluted hype for me.

Sumio Mondo

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom

I think Apocalypse might have my favourite final boss music in MegaTen.

So many favourite tracks from the SMTIV OST -
Lucifer's Palace, Tsukiji Hongwanji, Battle A3 (Infernal Tokyo Battle Theme), Merkabah Battle Theme 2, Pluto Castle, Ikebukuro Underground District, Infernal Tokyo - Underground District, Roppongi Area, The Hunter Association,
the list goes on and on. 10/10 OST.
Definitely my favourite part of SMTIV. Kodaka knocked his debut on mainline out the park. I loved his music from when he did the Persona 2 PSP OST remixes, which he did a stellar job on as well.

Soulhouf

Oct 28, 2017
France
If they ever release a remasterization of SMT IV, I hope they replace many of the weird demon designs the game had with the original ones designed by Kaneko.

Lilith's old design should be back:

And get avoid of this thing whatever is supposed to be:

hqdefault.jpg

At least they used the original Lilith in Persona 5

Lilith is has 2 main interpretations: the snake and the owl.
SMTIV's design clearly looks like an owl. On paper that would work perfectly especially with the plot. The problem is the design itself which looks awkward.

Soul Hackers is my favorite:

ClearMetal

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
Ikebukuro Underground District is so good.

I'm glad they kicked out the demons in Apocalypse; just hearing the ten seconds of that track in SMTIV was a crime.

Lilith is has 2 main interpretations: the snake and the owl.
SMTIV's design clearly looks like an owl. On paper that would work perfectly especially with the plot. The problem is the design itself which looks awkward.

Soul Hackers is my favorite:
I don't know if they based her on an owl in SMTIV. I remember reading that the artist that did the design for the angels and Lilith just went with what he thought looked cool and didn't care much for the mythology behind it. I admit this is just hearsay, though.

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
Never got around to play Nocturne in hard mode so I used the new Chronicles patch with Raidou to motivate myself and I managed to get to Shibuya relatively unscathed...if not for the second tutorial monster throwing a crit at me twice. Haven't had a challenge in a long time, so looking forward of beating it on this difficulty. Still a gorgeous game, doesn't feel that old except for controls and camera.

Sumio Mondo

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
Yeah. They really could release remasters for DDS 1 and 2 and Nocturne quite easily. Have them sold as a pack for Switch in prep for SMTV for new fans (and old fans of course).

randomelder

Oct 26, 2017

So many favourite tracks from the SMTIV OST -
Lucifer's Palace, Tsukiji Hongwanji, Battle A3 (Infernal Tokyo Battle Theme), Merkabah Battle Theme 2, Pluto Castle, Ikebukuro Underground District, Infernal Tokyo - Underground District, Roppongi Area, The Hunter Association,
the list goes on and on. 10/10 OST.
Definitely my favourite part of SMTIV. Kodaka knocked his debut on mainline out the park. I loved his music from when he did the Persona 2 PSP OST remixes, which he did a stellar job on as well.

He did such an incredible job I honestly still can't even believe it. That soundtrack does so much of the heavy lifting for the game itself. Just absolutely nailing it on his first go, what an amazing achievement.

Sumio Mondo

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
I'd love to read an interview with Kodaka going into the ins and outs for the soundtrack, like where he sampled the sounds from, what synths he used, what computer software he used, everything. I want to get whatever synth he used, since it's just incredible.

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
Yeah. They really could release remasters for DDS 1 and 2 and Nocturne quite easily. Have them sold as a pack for Switch in prep for SMTV for new fans (and old fans of course).

Agree, I'm sure they'd be able to tweak Nocturne to be widescreen too. I feel they sufficiently future-proofed this game to work on any system.

He did such an incredible job I honestly still can't even believe it. That soundtrack does so much of the heavy lifting for the game itself. Just absolutely nailing it on his first go, what an amazing achievement.

Listening to the overworld music of SMT4 for the first time has been one unforgettable moment of gaming for me. It genuinely transports you, couldn't believe my small 3DS system could take me for such a ride.

OP
OP
HylianSeven

HylianSeven

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I've been saying it for a long time: SMTIV and Apocalypse have the best soundtracks in the series, full stop.

bangai-o

Oct 27, 2017
Devil Survivor on 3ds has the most hours played on my 3ds. I still have not completed it yet. Yuza turned out to be a great character from a somewhat annoying and weak personality to taking charge of situations. I ended up letting the
Hidden content
You need to reply to this thread in order to see this content.
die. I could have backtracked to a prior save, but continued on without her.

Deleted member 11934

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I played a little of Devil Survivor but couldn't really go really far. Probably the only Shin Megami Tensei I really can't play. I got extremely bored immediately, be it the interface or something.

Pascal

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Parts Unknown
SMT IV and Apocalypse certainly have great sound design for 3DS games. I remember playing SMT IV for the first time and getting to Naraku and just being amazed at how atmospheric the music sounded (I was wearing pretty nice headphones but still). I was playing this game with PSP tier graphics on a tiny screen and it was more immersive than a lot of big budget AAA titles. SMT IV had a lot of problems, but the things it got right, it got right.

bangai-o

Oct 27, 2017
I played a little of Devil Survivor but couldn't really go really far. Probably the only Shin Megami Tensei I really can't play. I got extremely bored immediately, be it the interface or something.
I like it because I can play for twenty minutes, stop, and come back another day for another 20 minute session. I didnt feel comfortable doing that with the mainline games.

cj_iwakura

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Coral Springs, FL
Okay, after wasting four hours of my Sunday on the Saturn version(and still not killing Shiki Ouji), I threw in the proverbial towel and just read the LP.

lparchive.org/Shin-Megami-Tensei-Devil-Summoner/

Looks like it's a damn good thing I did. Frankly, the language barrier seems too vicious to survive this game without understanding negotiation, fusion, equipment, or items. Not to mention the dungeons from hell. That said, the story does live up to its reputation, and it's insane how many new demons debuted for this game. No wonder it was so popular.

I'll sit on my Saturn version for the time being, and see if I can't light a fire to get that fan translation finished.

That LP is a great read. It even covers the damn TV series.

Lol. I killed Shiki Ouji on my way out. Didn't use Paralyze once. Go figure.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
I love a lot of kaneko's designs.
I've gushed about this design so many times but I honestly think Kaneko's SMT3 Bondage Angel is such an awesome design.

Angel_model.png

This is by all means a highly sexualized design, but I think in the coolest way possible, it's almost bad ass if you ask me. Since in SMT "God" has always been a huge asshole who wants to rule over all with an iron fist kind of guy. It only makes sense for the angels to essentially be dressed as his slaves, they can't even see because they're not supposed to have their own thoughts and there is a chain on their neck because some one is always directing them. Yes she's naked and sexy but that doesn't mean all angels are like this. Gabriel who is an archangel is also an incredible design which has none of those motifs.
https://lparchive.org/Shin-Megami-Tensei-Nocturne-(by-FrankZP)/Update 38/65-SMT3-4276.jpg

So it's not like the angels are DESIGNED to be sexy slave girls, they're all unique and have their own thematic motifs based on their in game "hierarchy", and each one of their designs tells their story without telling a story, which I think is phenomenal.

OP
OP
HylianSeven

HylianSeven

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah Bondage Angel really is a great design.

I'd also nominate Arioch, which is debatably too NSFW to post here. It basically looks like a giant vagina monster with a sword. Here's it's lore.

A fictional devil of vengeance and chaos in Paradise Lost. His name in Hebrew language means "fierce lion." Originally the guardian angel of Enoch, when the morning star Lucifer (or Satan) had started to rebel against God Arioch followed and became a fallen angel.

So why does it look like a vagina? Well a lion is a cat, a cat is also known as a pussy, pussy is a term for vagina.

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
I don't know if they based her on an owl in SMTIV. I remember reading that the artist that did the design for the angels and Lilith just went with what he thought looked cool and didn't care much for the mythology behind it. I admit this is just hearsay, though.

Here's the quote you're probably thinking about (from Amemiya, about his SMTIV Archangels and Lilith designs.

There are few days when I don't actually play games, but among them the ones I spend the most time on are games whose atmosphere I fall in love with. My first contact with Megaten was thanks to the NES version of Digital Devil Story Megami Tensei. I still remember the impact demon fusion had on me.

What I focused most on regarding Shin Megami Tensei IV's demon designs was the 'artificial beings' aspect. I believe that, since demons and angels are embodiments of humans' thoughts, they will still be artificial beings, no matter how much they resemble living creatures. In other words, demons and angels exist thanks to humans. I am not good with consulting materials and data, so I constantly feel that I am not suited for 'realistic' designs. When I give a form to an idea, it is only complete in my head.

As one of the designers, the thing that surprised me the most was the 'three-dimensional representation'. I felt a new possibility for representation techniques. I wish people paid special attention to the results of my work together with designers of the same generation.

It doesn't say that he didn't reference the source material, just that he didn't want to go for naturalistic designs.

Opa-Pa

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I don't really /hate/ Doi's art (most of the time), it's just that I see him as a particularly good anime styled artist while Kaneko is one of the (if not the) best artists the industry ever had. The difference is painful, especially after seeing original stuff of Doi's like fucking Demeter in DSJ.

Okay, after wasting four hours of my Sunday on the Saturn version(and still not killing Shiki Ouji), I threw in the proverbial towel and just read the LP.

Looks like it's a damn good thing I did. Frankly, the language barrier seems too vicious to survive this game without understanding negotiation, fusion, equipment, or items. Not to mention the dungeons from hell. That said, the story does live up to its reputation, and it's insane how many new demons debuted for this game. No wonder it was so popular.

I'll sit on my Saturn version for the time being, and see if I can't light a fire to get that fan translation finished.

Man I've been wondering if there was an LP like that available somewhere, awesome. I'll definitely read it before hoping back into Soul Hackers.

Encephalon

Oct 26, 2017
Japan

I didn't realize demons saw their debut with devil summoner.

Aeana

Oct 25, 2017
I'd have to count them but I'm not sure if Devil Summoner or Soul Hackers more represented the largest point of new demons entering the series. Together, they most certainly do.

randomelder

Oct 26, 2017
And a surprising number that haven't been seen since. I had really thought between SJ and the SMT4 games' hugely ballooning demon totals (too many IMO!) that pretty much all of em had been covered, but it's not even close to being true.

Deleted member 15457

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Occasionally a game comes out with a truly fantastic soundtrack. When asked which tracks are great, these games reply "the whole thing".

SMTIV is one of those games. It might even be my favorite RPG soundtrack of all time, and that's a category with some tough, tough competition.

cj_iwakura

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Coral Springs, FL
Occasionally a game comes out with a truly fantastic soundtrack. When asked which tracks are great, these games reply "the whole thing".

SMTIV is one of those games. It might even be my favorite RPG soundtrack of all time, and that's a category with some tough, tough competition.

And it effectively covesr two different periods of history, since it goes from being a medieval RPG to cyberpunk.

Inquisitive_Ghost

Cranky Ghost Pokemon
Oct 26, 2017
Also chipping in to say that SMTIV's soundtrack is incredible. I spent the cash monies to import a copy.

I don't remember a lot of Apocalypse's but that's also on me not finishing the game. :( My 3DS died shortly after I got to the final dungeon. I have a replacement 3DS now, but I have yet to go back and continue.

Aeana

Oct 25, 2017
I've got some time off coming up, and I didn't end up doing any games for this year's SMT anniversary. I'm working on a plan to play at least a couple of games once I finish Xenoblade 2. It's hard to narrow it down to just a few, though.

OP
OP
HylianSeven

HylianSeven

Oct 25, 2017
A few things:

1. Persona 1 is great. I'm really enjoying it. The encounter rate can occasionally be frustrating, as I have had times where I get into one encounter, get out of it, take two steps into another. I'm on the abandoned factory dungeon now. I went to the Velvet Room, but unfortunately wasn't high enough level to fuse anything with the Spell Cards I had. I don't get the side the say Persona 1 is a bad game though, it's quite good actually.

2. Turns out Sleeping Table in Persona 3 doesn't care if you null fire or not, it uses Megidola sometimes regardless. My goal right now is to grind Yukari to 43 so she gets Mediarama. I need her healing effectively.

3. Something I have noticed in the Persona games is that some have a diverse cast and some don't. Persona 1 (at least as far as I know is all just high school students), P2 dualogy I can't really speak for, P3 has arguably the most diverse with (not counting protagonist) 3 regular high school students, one with a weakness that forces her to not be in the battle, an elementary school kid, a dog, a veteran Persona user that regularly plays hooky, and a robot.

P4 has 5 fairly regular HS students and a teddy bear thing.

P5 has 5 fairly normal HS students and a cat.

If they ever make a P6, I hope they make the cast more diverse.

I'd have to count them but I'm not sure if Devil Summoner or Soul Hackers more represented the largest point of new demons entering the series. Together, they most certainly do.

I guess that explains why the last two Kaneko works books have been all Devil Summoner. There are a lot of demons that have a different design than the ones we more commonly know today, such as Nue and Cherub.

Marmoka

Oct 27, 2017
I also like Doi's art style, and his character designs. Honestly I don't mind being him the one who redesigned the characters of Strange Journey. But his style is too anime-generic as well.

I think people, myself included, love Kaneko that much because his own style is very different from everything we have seen. It's a real pity to think that he doesn't work on character design no more (as far as we know).

Considering how the characters in SMT V look, I have some hopes to think Kaneko is behind. They remind me of Nocturne and SMT IF designs.

Oct 25, 2017
I've got some time off coming up, and I didn't end up doing any games for this year's SMT anniversary. I'm working on a plan to play at least a couple of games once I finish Xenoblade 2. It's hard to narrow it down to just a few, though.

We should do like a community book club. Pick a game and all play it at the same time etc.

Sumio Mondo

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
On the subject of cast diversity, Persona 2 has the rest of the series beat quite easily. P3's is quite diverse but P2's is just massive.

I also like Doi's art style, and his character designs. Honestly I don't mind being him the one who redesigned the characters of Strange Journey. But his style is too anime-generic as well.

I think people, myself included, love Kaneko that much because his own style is very different from everything we have seen. It's a real pity to think that he doesn't work on character design no more (as far as we know).

Considering how the characters in SMT V look, I have some hopes to think Kaneko is behind. They remind me of Nocturne and SMT IF designs.

SMTV will definitely just be Doi again (don't really see the resemblance to Nocturne's design but can can see the SMT...if influence more from what little we've seen of the two characters), I mean Kaneko didn't even come back for Strange Journey's re-release. Not that Doi is bad, he worked on Nocturne as the sub-character designer, I think and also did art for the Persona 2 PSP remakes and Soul Hackers 3DS port, all of which were good. I do prefer his Trauma Center/Trauma Team art though (so good). I'd definitely buy an artbook of his if he ever released one like Soejima and Kaneko have.

I look forward to seeing Doi's new demon designs anyway. And at least Kaneko will probably work as a Supervisor on the art team.

cj_iwakura

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Coral Springs, FL
Something I have noticed in the Persona games is that some have a diverse cast and some don't. Persona 1 (at least as far as I know is all just high school students), P2 dualogy I can't really speak for, P3 has arguably the most diverse with (not counting protagonist) 3 regular high school students, one with a weakness that forces her to not be in the battle, an elementary school kid, a dog, a veteran Persona user that regularly plays hooky, and a robot.

P4 has 5 fairly regular HS students and a teddy bear thing.

P5 has 5 fairly normal HS students and a cat.

If they ever make a P6, I hope they make the cast more diverse.

Persona 2 has an ex prosecutor turned investigator, a detective, a boxer / fashion designer, a news reporter, an idol, a punk band leader, a photographer, an occultist fashion model, etc.

ultra bawl

User requested ban
Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Lest we forget, P2 also lets you say you only have eyes for Jun.

tumblr_ovcr86C4dz1tztc43o1_500.jpg

Makes every other Persona romance option look like a pile of puke.

ultra bawl

User requested ban
Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Needs Maya instead of Jun. I allow it, though. It's also worth noting that Lisa and the party just accept it. No teasing, no homophobia, they just roll with it and move on.
Yeah, I love how Lisa is like "uh well I still really fancy Tatsuya but okay sure." You can anger some demons with the Jun/Tatsuya romantic option but others like it or are curious - there's that bro-y satyr who will sometimes be really into it, I think.

Meanwhile, in Inaba...

Encephalon

Oct 26, 2017
Japan
Well, I completed the PS1 version of SMT! I didn't think I would wrap it up so quickly, but some items to cut out encounters with (can't recall the names). Overall, it was a much easier game than I expected it to be, though I did play the remake. I enjoyed it, but the demons felt a bit limited towards the end. Visually, I really liked their pixel art.

I wonder if I can tackle II and IV before V comes out.

Needs Maya instead of Jun. I allow it, though. It's also worth noting that Lisa and the party just accept it. No teasing, no homophobia, they just roll with it and move on.

The impression I got from playing the game was that the characters treated it as a joke answer ...

I wanted to play it again soon, but XB2 is coming out. Then again, with every new piece of Xenoblade news, I seem to want to play it less and less. I might be actively dreading it.

I bought a switch for Xenoblade 2. In Japan!

ultra bawl

User requested ban
Banned
Nov 6, 2017
The impression I got from playing the game was that the characters treated it as a joke answer ...
Michel is the 'gag' answer, the characters are surprised but accepting of Jun and Tatsuya and the whole "love rivals" thing plays out as it always does. Their backstory makes the romance feel pretty natural to me, and Jun's feelings for Tatsuya don't seem to be a joke and are present regardless of your choice. The idea of their relationship is treated with the same level of comedy any relationship in the series is but I don't think it's mocking and I don't think it dismisses the idea of a romance between two men the same way the later games do if you try to pursue something. Also worth noting it unlocks a romantic interaction for them while negotiating (and I think it stops your interactions with Lisa and Maya from being romantic), so the game takes your choice seriously.

I really like Tatsuya/Jun though, so maybe I'm more forgiving. It's certainly more edifying than trying to make P5 MC say he loves a guy and the game just flat-out saying "we gave you that option but NO, please choose a WAIFU."

Marmoka

Oct 27, 2017
Now that you guys are talking about the first Persona games, and the SMT anniversary, I feel like I want to play another Megaten, but don't know which one. My options are:
  • Shin Megami Tensei (SNES with fan translation patch): the first SMT game I played. I gave up early because I didn't understand the mechanics and died all over again, but loved the atmosphere and continued giving a chance to SMT with Nocturne and IV. Worth it. Now that I understand how Megaten works, it's time to go back.
  • Persona 1 (PS1 version or PSP??): I tried PS1 version long ago but the infamous world map made me give it up. I tried PSP version and there was a huge improvement there, but I don't remember why I gave up. I think I read somewhere here that PS1 version is better because I don't remember what reasons, correct me if wrong. I hated the battle theme.
  • Persona 2 IS (PS1 version or PSP??): never played it, but I've read it's a lot better than P1, and the sequel gets even better.
Which one would you guys recommend?

Thanks SMT-ERA!!

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
Now that you guys are talking about the first Persona games, and the SMT anniversary, I feel like I want to play another Megaten, but don't know which one. My options are:
  • Shin Megami Tensei (SNES with fan translation patch): the first SMT game I played. I gave up early because I didn't understand the mechanics and died all over again, but loved the atmosphere and continued giving a chance to SMT with Nocturne and IV. Worth it. Now that I understand how Megaten works, it's time to go back.
  • Persona 1 (PS1 version or PSP??): I tried PS1 version long ago but the infamous world map made me give it up. I tried PSP version and there was a huge improvement there, but I don't remember why I gave up. I think I read somewhere here that PS1 version is better because I don't remember what reasons, correct me if wrong. I hated the battle theme.
  • Persona 2 IS (PS1 version or PSP??): never played it, but I've read it's a lot better than P1, and the sequel gets even better.
Which one would you guys recommend?

Thanks SMT-ERA!!

SMT is definitely worth it, and it's easy to cheese it since you now know how the game system works. I'd definitely go with that.

If you ever go with Persona 1 afterwars, you would definitely have to apply the music patch to have the original soundtrack of the PS1 version on PSP. It makes for a much better experience. Pretty easy to find on the internet too.