• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

ClearMetal

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
almost done with smt4a and the final two dungeons are fucking awful.

penultimate one has jack for demon fusion options and everything looks the same.

final one is the same but you cant even talk to any of the demons and its even worse looking and more annoying to get around.

they keep giving me relics and there are no shops here.
I didn't mind the penultimate one so much (assuming you mean the Cosmic Egg), but yeah, the final is just a mess. Boring enemies (though fitting considering it's Law on steroids), everything looks the same, there are teleporters everywhere and the music just drones on and on.

Shame because the rest of the game is so good. I made it past King Frost tonight on my NG+ playthrough. I had forgotten how much of an asshole he was to fight. Though in the end it turned out I could shut him down completely with just one skill: Magaon, which removes smirk.

Frimaire

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Yeah, the final dungeon of IV:A is trash.
It's sooo fucking long and monotonous.
Just try to blitz it if you can.
I personally was fine with the penultimate dungeon, though.

OP
OP
HylianSeven

HylianSeven

Shin Megami TC - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
The second to last dungeon was awesome, and probably one of my favorites in both IV and IV:A.

Fuck that last dungeon though. One of the things that pissed me off most about it was all the wormwood and jade dagger barriers that only led to a dead end... Like why.

Opa-Pa

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I thought the Egg was great in Apocalypse, but the last dungeon is the worst slog ever... Bosses are awesome though.

ultra bawl

User requested ban
Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Apocalypse subjecting you to Tsukiji Honganji all over again is way worse, though yeah, I put the game down in the final dungeon and have yet to go back. I know people praise the gameplay improvements the game offers over its predecessor but personally I find it way more of a slog, and I quite like some of the cast.

ClearMetal

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
So I just unsealed Krishna. I can't help but say this every time he appears on screen:

(Just substitue "Good morning, dr. Dorian" by "I am your salvation" or something similar.)

Deleted member 11008

User requested account closure
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Apocalypse last dungeon was clearly multiple dungeons, mashed without direction. It feels like a Strange Journey dungeon, but it lacks the tools (and activities) to explore it with joy.

Oct 25, 2017
They gave a lot of EXP so I liked them to begin with. But now at level 105, where you dont even get app points anymore and in the final dungeon you cant recruit any demons to fuse new ones so its useless and the Hordes are just extremely annoying. If my demons didn't have Victory Cry I'd probably have quit.

ultra bawl

User requested ban
Banned
Nov 6, 2017
They gave a lot of EXP so I liked them to begin with. But now at level 105, where you dont even get app points anymore and in the final dungeon you cant recruit any demons to fuse new ones so its useless and the Hordes are just extremely annoying. If my demons didn't have Victory Cry I'd probably have quit.
This is what got to me too. The fusions plateaued and the battles became extremely repetitive with the dungeon dragging and the same handful of demons appearing.

ClearMetal

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
You know, Apocalypse offers nothing but improvements over SMT IV in the gameplay department. But there's one aspect in which it's worse: it doesn't show your fusion history for a given demon anymore.

I thought about it when Archangel transformed into Principality and how cool it would be to take it all the way to the end of the game and going full circle by turning it back into Angel. That's when I remembered SMT IV kept track of all demons you used to make the current one. These are my Dormarth and Dullahan for example:

dsc_3583vis0l.jpg

dsc_3584rgstf.jpg
Given that these contain the likes of Centaur, Lham Dearg and Napaea, they have been with me in some shape or form during the entire game. It doesn't really serve a purpose, but the sentimental fool in me liked browsing through these screens.

Opa-Pa

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah Amami Monolith was awful but at least I was high level enough that I barely got random encounters until the near end... I think so any way, I wasn't using the app to lower the rate at all, maybe it's a bug?

Either way I think the one in Apocalypse is the absolute worst not because it's hard or tricky but just so dull. It's stupidly time consuming for no reason.
You know, Apocalypse offers nothing but improvements over SMT IV in the gameplay department. But there's one aspect in which it's worse: it doesn't show your fusion history for a given demon anymore.

I thought about it when Archangel transformed into Principality and how cool it would be to take it all the way to the end of the game and going full circle by turning it back into Angel. That's when I remembered SMT IV kept track of all demons you used to make the current one. These are my Dormarth and Dullahan for example:

Given that these contain the likes of Centaur, Lham Dearg and Napaea, they have been with me in some shape or form during the entire game. It doesn't really serve a purpose, but the sentimental fool in me liked browsing through these screens.
Huh, so they did cut that feature after all, I thought I had dreamed it.

Deleted member 11008

User requested account closure
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I need to defeat Mem Aleph if I want to have a clean new game save for Strange Journey, and damn, my demons sucks so hard.

I can't understand how I defeated that summer of 2012.

Inquisitive_Ghost

Cranky Ghost Pokemon
Oct 26, 2017
We good with posting fan art in here? I did a glorified doodle thing.

demi_sketch_01_by_quarksney-dcbu09f.png

Edit: I swear it looks like a playing card. I should add a K in the NE/SW corners or something.
Demi-sketch-01-745469907

Last edited:

Blade24070

Oct 26, 2017
So on a whim I bought Digital Devil Saga. Any tips?

Edit: any suggestions to how to develop Serph? Magic or Strength? I'm guessing VIT and AGI are good too (AGI moreso with strength?).

Last edited:

Inquisitive_Ghost

Cranky Ghost Pokemon
Oct 26, 2017

Edit: any suggestions to how to develop Serph? Magic or Strength? I'm guessing VIT and AGI are good too (AGI moreso with strength?).
I think both MAG and STR are viable with Serph. I usually go MAG, but both should work.

Really, the most important thing with both DDS games is keeping your party flexible. The games like to mix your available roster up constantly.

KushalaDaora

Oct 27, 2017

I just finished replaying DDS a few weeks ago. Mind that I'm playing on Normal difficulty.

1. Don't neglect Hunt skill like Devour.

2. Don't waste money on buying bullets.

3. Always have a handful of Dis items at all time for curing various ailment.

4. Focus on one Element Magic for each party member. Heat however (or Serph depending on your build) should have Physical ability as primary focus with Magic as secondary focus.

5. I made everyone (except Heat) learn Healing magic. Not sure if having only one character as dedicated healer a good idea.

For Serph, I made him a mixed build with a primary focus on MAG, and STR as secondary focus, with AGI/VIT as tertiaryfocus.

Frimaire

Oct 25, 2017
Canada

If you're ever thinking of farming a bit for skills you should use hunt skills on your best phys character.
It's been a while but I think some helpful skills are like Iron Stomach + AP Divide + Atma Boost + the strongest all-enemy hunt skill you have access to.

Euphony

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I just finished replaying DDS a few weeks ago. Mind that I'm playing on Normal difficulty.

1. Don't neglect Hunt skill like Devour.

2. Don't waste money on buying bullets.

3. Always have a handful of Dis items at all time for curing various ailment.

4. Focus on one Element Magic for each party member. Heat however (or Serph depending on your build) should have Physical ability as primary focus with Magic as secondary focus.

5. I made everyone (except Heat) learn Healing magic. Not sure if having only one character as dedicated healer a good idea.

For Serph, I made him a mixed build with a primary focus on MAG, and STR as secondary focus, with AGI/VIT as tertiaryfocus.
As a follow up for #5, when you eventually get a 4th party member it's a good idea to make whoever you decide to put on the sidelines act as your main source of non-battle healing. Just be careful in over-relying on that healer though because sometimes the game temporarily takes away a party member for story reasons. On a related note, don't neglect other party members because sometimes the game temporarily takes away one for story reasons.

Eirikr

Oct 25, 2017
This has bothered me for a while now...what are these? I feel like I recognize them but I cannot put my finger on it.

Something totally new for SMT5, though they seem to be using the exact color composition of Doi's Satan. My money's on them being a generic "Demon" or otherwise some lesser, named member of the infernal retinue.

Opa-Pa

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I used to think those were Nyarlathoteps, but looks like they're something new instead
latest

OP
OP
HylianSeven

HylianSeven

Oct 25, 2017
Hmm, they might be something new. Other than that Nyarlathotep is the closest match I've seen. They probably are something new, but the question is, who drew them? I don't really get a feeling those were drawn by Doi, but then again, they're 3D and not 2D so it might be harder to tell.

Inquisitive_Ghost

Cranky Ghost Pokemon
Oct 26, 2017
Listening to the SMTIVA soundtrack. Gah. Such mixed feelings on that game. The music is fucking fantastic and the protagonist design is second only to Demi-fiend in mainline SMT, IMO. I really liked it. And the gameplay is better than SMTIV because it fixes the janky smirk mechanics and gives bonuses to demons for attacks matching their strengths. Oh, and I really liked the premise of the protagonist being forced into a demon contract to become Dagda's designated "god killer".

And then the story is janky and I seem to remember it not feeling like it had a very clear through-line, and I feel like Dagda's contract wasn't used as well as it could have been? And then there's the tone. You have the music and art all going for the classic SMT oppressive feel, while the cast of characters is way too god damn chummy to match it. There's a part near the end--when the cast realigns their priorities and decides to go after the final boss (which I remember feeling slightly out of left field)--where everyone is so happy you're okay and whatnot that I honestly expected a SOCIAL RANK UP to appear, at least before I remembered that didn't apply in this game. Like, graaaaaagh.

I only played the game once, back when it came out, so am I misremembering any of this? I'm thinking I need to go back and finish it soon, and maybe do a NG+. I don't really know of anything else that hits the same tonal neighbourhood as SMT, and I'm feeling that lack of it again.

Edit: SMTV better not give in to that overly friendly bullshit again. I like Persona, and that tone needs to stay over there where it actually works and makes sense.

Last edited:

Blade24070

Oct 26, 2017
SMT4A has amazing music. Returning to Kinshi-Cho with that great theme was always welcome.

I hate the protag design though. Yuck.

OP
OP
HylianSeven

HylianSeven

Oct 25, 2017
Listening to the SMTIVA soundtrack. Gah. Such mixed feelings on that game. The music is fucking fantastic and the protagonist design is second only to Demi-fiend in mainline SMT, IMO. I really liked it. And the gameplay is better than SMTIV because it fixes the janky smirk mechanics and gives bonuses to demons for attacks matching their strengths. Oh, and I really liked the premise of the protagonist being forced into a demon contract to become Dagda's designated "god killer".

And then the story is janky and I seem to remember it not feeling like it had a very clear through-line, and I feel like Dagda's contract wasn't used as well as it could have been? And then there's the tone. You have the music and art all going for the classic SMT oppressive feel, while the cast of characters is way too god damn chummy to match it. There's a part near the end--when the cast realigns their priorities and decides to go after the final boss (which I remember feeling slightly out of left field)--where everyone is so happy you're okay and whatnot that I honestly expected a SOCIAL RANK UP to appear, at least before I remembered that didn't apply in this game. Like, graaaaaagh.

I only played the game once, back when it came out, so am I misremembering any of this? I'm thinking I need to go back and finish it soon, and maybe do a NG+. I don't really know of anything else that hits the same tonal neighbourhood as SMT, and I'm feeling that lack of it again.

Edit: SMTV better not give in to that overly friendly bullshit again. I like Persona, and that tone needs to stay over there.
For the most part, that's my feelings on the game. It's near the top notch gameplay-wise as well as the soundtrack being incredible. It did reuse a lot of IV's tracks, but IV and IV:A have the best soundtracks in the series, full stop. The story had it's moments, but yeah they did some weird shit with the characters. I kind of got annoyed by the whole Asahi-Toki jealousy thing.

It's clear they were going for something different, given that the alignments weren't law, chaos, and neutral, and I guess that's why they went for this tone? I don't really think this will be the tone of mainline going forward.

I honestly think the best comparisons in mainline for Apocalypse are NINE and if... NINE's story is just weird, with that whole virtual world thing (and it not being a very good game).

if... had the whole thing in a school and was a "what if SMT1's apocalypse didn't happen?" scenario, so it was quite different from the mainline and I would argue goes as far away from it as Apocalypse does.

Strange Journey is hard to really say that about other than the fact that it doesn't take place in Tokyo. Other than that, it's pretty much ticking the boxes of it being a mainline game. I mean Atlus said it was originally going to be SMTIV.

Inquisitive_Ghost

Cranky Ghost Pokemon
Oct 26, 2017
For the most part, that's my feelings on the game. It's near the top notch gameplay-wise as well as the soundtrack being incredible. It did reuse a lot of IV's tracks, but IV and IV:A have the best soundtracks in the series, full stop. The story had it's moments, but yeah they did some weird shit with the characters. I kind of got annoyed by the whole Asahi-Toki jealousy thing.

It's clear they were going for something different, given that the alignments weren't law, chaos, and neutral, and I guess that's why they went for this tone? I don't really think this will be the tone of mainline going forward.

I honestly think the best comparisons in mainline for Apocalypse are NINE and if... NINE's story is just weird, with that whole virtual world thing (and it not being a very good game).

if... had the whole thing in a school and was a "what if SMT1's apocalypse didn't happen?" scenario, so it was quite different from the mainline and I would argue goes as far away from it as Apocalypse does.

Strange Journey is hard to really say that about other than the fact that it doesn't take place in Tokyo. Other than that, it's pretty much ticking the boxes of it being a mainline game. I mean Atlus said it was originally going to be SMTIV.

God, I forgot about that stupid shit with Asahi and Toki. Ugh. I hope you are right about the tone going forward, and I would agree that this felt like an unusual experiment into different alignments. I mean, I liked the idea of running more with various pagan/other gods instead of the traditional Law/Chaos crew for a game or few, but the execution largely failed it.

I haven't played NINE or If..., so I will take your word about them.

Strange Journey straight-up feels like a mainline game supplanted into a different setting, with things changing logically to match it in ways that make sense and still stay true to series philosophy and principles. It's not surprising it was originally IV.

Flynn was a great design, Nanashi is just another emo twink. PASS

Haha! Flynn was a good design too, but I'll always lean towards the urban/contemporary fantasy look over the medieval fantasy one for this series. I always feel like the "core" of SMT is its punkish/rebellious nature, and thus its "soul" lies somewhere between Neutral and Chaos, drifting appropriately for each game. Flynn was a Law hero design, whereas Demi-fiend is my favourite and that whole game feels pretty clearly biased towards Chaos. Nanashi carries some of that Chaos rebellion in his design, but remixed around green instead of red, being an Irish god's unwilling minion instead of one of Hell's, and I really liked that.

(Edit: I hope I wrote that in a way that made it clear I'm talking about thematic cores rather than any nebulous "soul" argument about quality that comes up sometimes).

Last edited:

Lynx_7

Oct 25, 2017
I'm mostly fine with Apocalypse doing its own thing and I consider it an overall better game than IV when all is said and done (though that might change if they ever release a SMT IV maniax edition with gameplay and balance improvements, but I don't think that's going to happen, at least not anytime soon, and given Atlus' treatment of SJR it'd probably come with mixed results). I kind of see it more as an experimental spin-off within the main series than the next step forward, which is going to be SMT V, and I'm ok with that. It's a great game despite sharing some design choices with IV that I simply do not agree with (like save anywhere). It's definitely not the direction I want the series to take moving forward, but it's alright as a one time thing.

If SMT V starts showing some... worrisome tendencies in its next few trailers, whenever that may be, then I'll start resenting Apocalypse a little bit.
EDIT: Also, I am not against mainline SMT exploring the relationship/friendship between its main cast more thoroughly, as it would add some much needed tension and tragedy when they inevitably join their causes and you need to choose between opposing or joining one of them. It just needs to be done in a more nuanced manner than "friendship is POWAH!" shonen writing.

Last edited:
OP
OP
HylianSeven

HylianSeven

Oct 25, 2017
As expected, this version did gain in the area it had most to gain in: the dungeons don't look like pixelated ass anymore. I can tell wtf the walls in Bootes are, etc. It looks so much better. This was the biggest reason I always said SJ had a lot more to gain from a 3DS port than the Devil Survivor games did.

Inquisitive_Ghost

Cranky Ghost Pokemon
Oct 26, 2017
Well, I did it. I booted up my Apocalypse save and continued running around the final dungeon. Just made it to Brane 3 and punked the boss at the entrance.

I mean, I knew that Metatron was designed to look kind of robotic to match Law's adherence to mindless obedience, but I was still greatly amused when this game outright confirmed it with the mechanical servo sound effects. :P

Also, I am not against mainline SMT exploring the relationship/friendship between its main cast more thoroughly, as it would add some much needed tension and tragedy when they inevitably join their causes and you need to choose between opposing or joining one of them. It just needs to be done in a more nuanced manner than "friendship is POWAH!" shonen writing.

Exactly. Nothing wrong with the protagonist having friends, just stop with the Power of Friendship crap and use those relationships to really push the hurt when it comes time to align with or oppose them. Though I'd also like it if they weren't always along with your party. Stints yes, constant companions, no.

KushalaDaora

Oct 27, 2017

Edit: SMTV better not give in to that overly friendly bullshit again. I like Persona, and that tone needs to stay over there where it actually works and makes sense.

Agreed with all of this, the gameplay and music of IVA is top-notch. As for story, I think IVA have an interesting premise with the whole GodKiller and the Divine Powers (Khrisna and Odin is awesome), sadly botched by too many Shonen anime tropes...Oh and IVA definitely have a better pacing than IV.

As for SMTV, I just hope they retain the quality of sidequests of IV/IVA (and SJ I think?), they are honestly the best part of SMTIV/IVA for me.

Well, I did it. I booted up my Apocalypse save and continued running around the final dungeon. Just made it to Brane 3 and punked the boss at the entrance.

I mean, I knew that Metatron was designed to look kind of robotic to match Law's adherence to mindless obedience, but I was still greatly amused when this game outright confirmed it with the mechanical servo sound effects. :P

Exactly. Nothing wrong with the protagonist having friends, just stop with the Power of Friendship crap and use those relationships to really push the hurt when it comes time to align with or oppose them. Though I'd also like it if they weren't always along with your party. Stints yes, constant companions, no.

Holy shit, it never occured to me that was the reasoning behind Metatron mechanical design lol.

KushalaDaora

Oct 27, 2017
That they are. For all the completely justified shit IV gets for the terrible guest demon designs, the new designs that Doi actually contributed in IVA are excellent.

Do we know if Doi doing the design for SMTV ?

I know longtime fans love to hate on Doi, but personally I like Doi demon design in IVA. Love Khrisna, Odin, Sukuna Hikona, Maitreya, Adrammelech, Satan and Vishnu design. And while I haven't played the game, Zeus and Amon also looks amazing. (Zeus, Satan, and Vishnu reminds me a lot of the Asura design from Digital Devil Saga tbh lol)

ultra bawl

User requested ban
Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Doi's Adramelech, Sukuna Hikona and Chiro are great. Mephisto's pretty good too. The heaving busts on Medusa and Cleopatra are something else though.

Also, I love Hallelujah's arc almost entirely for...

TFW you find out your bro is also your dad. Relatable gay content!

Also for this:

ladies.jpg

It doesn't really bother me that the protagonist has friends who are concerned about his well-being and vocally happy when he's okay. I like a lonely oppressive atmosphere and the tragic dissolution of friendships too, but "you must choose between your former friends who have turned law/chaos fanatic, no friendship will survive, forever alone" is equally as hackneyed to me at this stage. They can put the effort in to find a more nuanced middle ground between Pollyanna and All My Friends Are Dead.

Inquisitive_Ghost

Cranky Ghost Pokemon
Oct 26, 2017
Do we know if Doi doing the design for SMTV ?

I know longtime fans love to hate on Doi, but personally I like Doi demon design in IVA. Love Khrisna, Odin, Sukuna Hikona, Maitreya, Adrammelech, Satan and Vishnu design. And while I haven't played the game, Zeus and Amon also looks amazing. (Zeus, Satan, and Vishnu reminds me a lot of the Asura design from Digital Devil Saga tbh lol)

Not sure about that Satan design. I think I like the craziness of the old one more. I hadn't even gotten to the part of the game with him, so I had to look that one up.

Not sure about that Zeus, either. I don't think I like him.

Doi's Adramelech, Sukuna Hikona and Chiro are great. Mephisto's pretty good too. The heaving busts on Medusa and Cleopatra are something else though.

Also, I love Hallelujah's arc almost entirely for...

TFW you find out your bro is also your dad. Relatable gay content!

Also for this:

ladies.jpg

It doesn't really bother me that the protagonist has friends who are concerned about his well-being and vocally happy when he's okay. I like a lonely oppressive atmosphere and the tragic dissolution of friendships too, but "you must choose between your former friends who have turned law/chaos fanatic, no friendship will survive, forever alone" is equally as hackneyed to me at this stage. They can put the effort in to find a more nuanced middle ground between Pollyanna and All My Friends Are Dead.

I hadn't seen Cleopatra's; I don't like the style of that one, either. Some of the elements are good (I like the clothing and snakes), but the style and proportions used for it seems like that specific one's leaned further into generic anime. Blah. Medusa was one of those guest designs and they should have tossed all of those. The only decent ones were Minotaur and arguably Merkabah. I still can't believe how badly they fucked up Lucifer, especially since he's one of the only recurring characters in the series.

I hope I wasn't coming across as saying that it always has to end with the tragic dissolution of all friendships. Multiple endings and all. But I want some hard decisions and some bonds broken at minimum. Demonic apocalypses should be pushing people to extremes.

Sukuna Hikona is my fave of the new ones. Amazing!

Sukuna-Hikona and Krishna are probably my favourites of the new set. They're both really excellent. Vishnu's pretty good too. I also appreciate Adramelech for how weird he is and how well it works.

Inquisitive_Ghost

Cranky Ghost Pokemon
Oct 26, 2017
Grr. I can't find the torso for the Wings of Order in Apocalypse's final dungeon. It should be in Brane 2, I think, but I can't find it anywhere, and I've already unlocked the red/yellow/blue doors. Is it behind a stat door? Because I'll never make it past the STR or DEX doors in this playthrough. :/

Edit2: Yeah, I found a map. There's one little part of the map I haven't been in, and it looks like it's there, behind a stat door. Boo.

Edit: Also, if you look at the full compendium, there's a decent number of level 90+ demons, but I seem to be completely unable to make any of them except Demiurge and Shiva. Do they need unlocking or specific fusions, or did I just happen to fill up the compendium with all the wrong ingredients?

Last edited:

Deleted member 2669

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Apocalypse is just so overwhelmingly banal and gross relative to the rest of the series.

As far as Doi's demons go, I'd be happy to see Sukuna-Hikona, Adramelech, Mephisto, and Chironnupu again. Krishna looks alright but he should have his blue skin and yellow dhoti in future appearances. The rest disappoint me to various degrees.

Cleopatra's T&A pose and Medusa's new pose drawing attention to her cleavage rather than her eyes are so dumb.

BlackJace

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
The Polytheistic Alliance were a cool bunch of bad motherfuckers that got shelved way too soon, tis a shame! I agree that it was cool to see a bunch of other gods thinking YHVH was an asshole rather than just humanity for once.

cj_iwakura

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Coral Springs, FL
The Polytheistic Alliance were a cool bunch of bad motherfuckers that got shelved way too soon, tis a shame! I agree that it was cool to see a bunch of other gods thinking YHVH was an asshole rather than just humanity for once.
The biggest waste was not having a route where you can join them. They really paint them in clear evil colors instead of having any shades of grey element.

Inquisitive_Ghost

Cranky Ghost Pokemon
Oct 26, 2017
The biggest waste was not having a route where you can join them. They really paint them in clear evil colors instead of having any shades of grey element.

Man I would've rode with Krishna and Odin with the quickness. Seemed like cool guys aside from the whole kill everyone and start over thing.

Seriously. I would have liked a bizarro Neutral route where you teamed with them instead of them going full evil.