• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Eolz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
FR
Yeah, if you're in europe, blame Deep Silver on this one. Extremely short runs, they've done a poor job since they've replaced NISA.

daevious

Oct 25, 2017
And yet I'd still take them over Ghostlight, who released Devil Survivor Overclocked two years later than both NA and Japan while created bugs that didn't exist in any other version.

Deleted member 2669

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So just fair warning to those that might have recently started following SMT: Don't expect anything on SMTV at E3. There's a possibility that they could have something in Nintendo's video presentation, but I would seriously not bank on it. Atlus likes to show stuff on their own terms for the most part. The reveal of what we came to know as SMTV was part of the Nintendo Switch Conference, but that was more the exception than the rule, and even so we didn't get the proper reveal of it until an Atlus event.
Yup! That's the way it was for P5 too if I recall correctly.

FLCL

Oct 27, 2017
So... Apparently I own a digital copy of SMTIV:A and forgot about it. Been wanting to play it for a long time and yesterday I turned on my 3DS for the first time since I bought Switch and was confused when I saw the icon. Had 2h of gameplay but started a new game because I remember nothing. Feels good to play SMT again!

Also, when do you guys think we will see more of SMT V?

BlackJace

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
We'll be waiting for an in depth look, that's for sure. We might see the logo in a sizzle reel, but that's about all I expect. It sounds to me like they've just begun full development recently.

OP
OP
HylianSeven

HylianSeven

Shin Megami TC - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
We'll be waiting for an in depth look, that's for sure. We might see the logo in a sizzle reel, but that's about all I expect. It sounds to me like they've just begun full development recently.
If I'm not mistaken, they said it was in full development in starting in February. But yeah I agree and I think at most we will see a logo and a "Yep, SMTV is gonna be on Switch."

BlackJace

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
If I'm not mistaken, they said it was in full development in starting in February. But yeah I agree and I think at most we will see a logo and a "Yep, SMTV is gonna be on Switch."

Yeah I'm not entirely sure myself about how far along they are. I mean with so much stuff coming out, Atlus can take as long as they need.

OP
OP
HylianSeven

HylianSeven

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I'm not entirely sure myself about how far along they are. I mean with so much stuff coming out, Atlus can take as long as they need.
They could always port/remake Nocturne just to tide us over in the long wait for SMTV ;)

do it Atlus, even if it has to take a Strange Journey art style hit, it's worth it to have it on Switch.

Eolz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
FR
I think we'll see more of SMT V this fall. Not TGS because they don't care about that obviously, but Atlus seems to like this period for news/trailers.

Opa-Pa

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I wouldn't expect anything before October-March. Every time they talk about the game they make sure to clarify that it's very early in development, so it's still far away IMO.

I wouldn't mind some promotional art to get a grasp of the art direction tho... I wanna be disappointed already.

OP
OP
HylianSeven

HylianSeven

Oct 25, 2017
I actually have to wonder...are there any demons that weren't drawn by Kaneko in any games pre-SMTIV?

Eirikr

Oct 25, 2017
I actually have to wonder...are there any demons that weren't drawn by Kaneko in any games pre-SMTIV?

In that they have official illustrations (which leaves out the likes of non-Kaneko spritework like Majin Tensei II, Giten, etc), that only leaves... Sophia from NINE, designed by what's-his-name who also did the characters:

K88E3Jg.jpg

The first guest artist demon. Look at the restraint! LOOK AT IT

Kromeo

Oct 27, 2017
Just started DDS again for the first time since it came out but I instantly remember the base music.. Don't honestly remember much about the story though

FLCL

Oct 27, 2017
I hear you guys about SMTV. Just want something SMT-like on Switch or PS4 (mainly in terms of setting and story) because I am not a big fan of playing on 3DS. Any recommendation? The lost child is coming to Switch later this month which I'm hyped for.

Deleted member 11008

User requested account closure
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
In that they have official illustrations (which leaves out the likes of non-Kaneko spritework like Majin Tensei II, Giten, etc), that only leaves... Sophia from NINE, designed by what's-his-name who also did the characters:

K88E3Jg.jpg

The first guest artist demon. Look at the restraint! LOOK AT IT

The way she rise her hands look a lot like the mysterious figure from SMT 2 ending.

gfs_21747_3_7_mid.jpg

BlackJace

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I wish that double pack for SMT IV came out for Switch. Hell even a Switch release of SJ Redux. I need to retire my 3DS already lol

OP
OP
HylianSeven

HylianSeven

Oct 25, 2017
I wish that double pack for SMT IV came out for Switch. Hell even a Switch release of SJ Redux. I need to retire my 3DS already lol
They should just do Kingdom Hearts Chain of Memories style remakes of IV, IV:A, and SJ Redux.

I know it won't happen though.

Nocturne remake or port pls Atlus. It's the most popular one yet only available on two consoles that are both out of date now (PS2 and PS3 PSN)

FLCL

Oct 27, 2017
They should just do Kingdom Hearts Chain of Memories style remakes of IV, IV:A, and SJ Redux.

I know it won't happen though.

Nocturne remake or port pls Atlus. It's the most popular one yet only available on two consoles that are both out of date now (PS2 and PS3 PSN)
I've only played SMTIV and now working on SMTIV:A so would love to be able to play Nocturne. It looks really good! Also, it seems like a good thing to do before the next SMT to get more people into the series?
Is it there any chance of it happening?

OP
OP
HylianSeven

HylianSeven

Oct 25, 2017
I've only played SMTIV and now working on SMTIV:A so would love to be able to play Nocturne. It looks really good! Also, it seems like a good thing to do before the next SMT to get more people into the series?
Is it there any chance of it happening?
I'd honestly say I think it has the highest chance of being an SMT game to tide over between SMTV.

When the 25th anniversary site for SMT went up, there were two spaces for a 3DS project, and an HD Project that was immediately unveiled at the Switch conference and would be later known as SMTV. The 3DS project was eventually revealed to be a SJ remake (which I totally called from the start!).

I think Nocturne is the most likely game to get remade/ported to HD. SMT I, II, and if... were ported to mobile (all Japan only except for SMT1 on iOS) within the last few years, SJ was remade for 3DS, IV came out 5 years ago, but is on a system that is still relevant to a degree. IV:A came out about two years ago. There's no way in hell they will remake NINE. Devil Summoner was remade on the PSP years ago, Soul Hackers came to 3DS. The Raidou games are up in the air but I don't think they'll remake those. I think Switch would be the most viable candidate for it, but of course nothing would be stopping them from doing Nocturne HD on PS4 or Xbone. Let's be honest, they won't do PC. Synchronicity Prologue is the closest thing we will get to a PC MegaTen game.

SMTV might be 2020 or even longer for all we know, so I think surely they'll make something else during the wait and Nocturne makes the most sense.

Inquisitive_Ghost

Cranky Ghost Pokemon
Oct 26, 2017
I dread a Nocturne remake because I expect them to fuck up the art like SJR and to fuck up the tone like Apocalypse.

It's arguably my single favourite RPG, and part of why is that it so thoroughly rejects that crap.

OP
OP
HylianSeven

HylianSeven

Oct 25, 2017
I dread a Nocturne remake because I expect them to fuck up the art like SJR and to fuck up the tone like Apocalypse.

It's arguably my single favourite RPG, and part of why is that it so thoroughly rejects that crap.
MORE BAD ART REJECTED!

Honestly even if they fuck up the art on it (arguably harder to screw up if it's basically touched up 3D models), I'd still be glad to play Nocturne on the Switch.

Despite the artwork fuckup in SJR, they still kept the tone quite consistent with the original.

Opa-Pa

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I'd pay real money for Atlus to NOT remake Nocturne, I'd lose it if they were to ruin anything in it. Just release an upscaled version of it and call it a day.
According to Wikipedia as well as the MegaTen wiki, he's not credited until Megami Tensei II. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kazuma_Kaneko

And in fact he doesn't even appear in MT1 and his first appearance was MT2. http://megamitensei.wikia.com/wiki/Jack_Frost#Stats
Ah, this makes sense. I never ever considered Jack Frost wasn't there from the beginning for some reason.

Eirikr

Oct 25, 2017

You know, I was only considering post-MT demons, but maybe. I definitely think that Loki had some impact on subsequent Loki designs, anyway. Kaneko even redesigned that Loki for KMT and while a few others crossed over too, that was the only one he didn't originally design.

The only design from the Namco era to make it into a mainline "Shin" game unchanged that I can think of is oddly NINE's Typhon, which is a 3D rendered palette swap of MT2's Tiamat:

9mHbWmq.jpg

Typhon even appears in MT2 using that design, but he's green instead of blue.

Oct 25, 2017
Lol this is some bullshit. My iphone 6 died and I bought a new iphone 8 only to realize SMT doesn't work on it since it's a 32bit game. I wish ATLUS would update the game since it's by far my favorite version of it.

I had also just gotten the full masakado's set ;_;

KushalaDaora

Oct 27, 2017
Lol this is some bullshit. My iphone 6 died and I bought a new iphone 8 only to realize SMT doesn't work on it since it's a 32bit game. I wish ATLUS would update the game since it's by far my favorite version of it.

I had also just gotten the full masakado's set ;_;

Lmao...same here. I know that the game is not compatible with iOS11, so I refrain from updating my iOS10 iPad until I finished SMT1. Alas for some reason my iPad update to iOS11 by itself overnight. And I already on the final part of the game...

Oct 28, 2017
Has IV Apocalypse gone on sale on the EU/AU eShop ever? I kind of want to replay it after I beat SJ:R but I traded my copy in and now it's practically impossible to find.
Don't want to pay $65 for a digital copy though.

Blade24070

Oct 26, 2017
Instead of jumping into Raidou 2, I started Digital Devil Saga. Finished the first boss/dungeon last night.

Do I need a guide for missables or anything? In particular, I know there's something about choices in this game that influence major things in 2. Where are these choices and what are the "correct" answers?

Oct 28, 2017
Instead of jumping into Raidou 2, I started Digital Devil Saga. Finished the first boss/dungeon last night.

Do I need a guide for missables or anything? In particular, I know there's something about choices in this game that influence major things in 2. Where are these choices and what are the "correct" answers?

Just pick the top answer when you get asked questions. None of it is super important or anything.
There's an optional boss in NG+ and if you beat him before you go over to DDS2 you get a ring that gives +10 to all stats in the second game.

Euphony

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Good luck with that secret NG+ boss if you try it. They're most likely the hardest boss in the entire series.

Inquisitive_Ghost

Cranky Ghost Pokemon
Oct 26, 2017
Good luck with that secret NG+ boss if you try it. They're most likely the hardest boss in the entire series.
There is a "cheese" method (which I used) but even that requires basically building your characters toward it for the entire playthrough and a decent amount of grinding for the stat-raising items.

Euphony

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
There is a "cheese" method (which I used) but even that requires basically building your characters toward it for the entire playthrough and a decent amount of grinding for the stat-raising items.
Yep I tried the Red Star method but I eventually gave up since it just wasn't fun trying anymore. The stat boost item reward in DDS2 and feeling of accomplishment just wasn't worth it in my eyes.

Deleted member 2669

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

The top answer for each is what you'd want for a certain outcome in DDS2, and you can agree to help an Ex-Solids member in Sahasrara.

There are several optional boss fights that are easy to miss as well (though they never close off or anything).

Inquisitive_Ghost

Cranky Ghost Pokemon
Oct 26, 2017
"I should practice drawing faces."

"Huh, that drawing of Demi turned out really nice. I think I'll ink it."

"This seems like a good drawing to practice some comic-style colouring with."

"OH MY GOD MY WHOLE EVENING IS GONE"

demi_drawing_02_by_quarksney-dce5p8a.png

(Sorry, I'll stop spamming the thread now).

Opa-Pa

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
"I should practice drawing faces."

"Huh, that drawing of Demi turned out really nice. I think I'll ink it."

"This seems like a good drawing to practice some comic-style colouring with."

"OH MY GOD MY WHOLE EVENING IS GONE"

demi_drawing_02_by_quarksney-dce5p8a.png

(Sorry, I'll stop spamming the thread now).
No please don't, these are awesome and I'd like to see more :p