• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Dragon1893

Oct 25, 2017
for which game, on what device? SNES games play well on android with snes9x ex+ and retroarch snes9x core. on PC you might want a more accurate emulator like higan, which is available in retroarch as well.

For If, since the translation is done I'm assuming most of you are giving it a whirl.

Since we're talking about the old Persona games, I recently finished Eternal Punishment, I wanted to wait for the fan translation of the PSP version but gave up so I grabbed the PSone version when it was on sale on PSN to play on Vita. The P2 duology is fantastic, I love it.

Now I'm playing the PSP version of P1 on Vita. I played it many years ago and it's weird, I didn't remember anything about it except that I didn't like it lol. My brain has been telling me that can't be right so I decided to give it another chance and I'm loving it. Dat encounter rate though...

Deleted member 48436

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 8, 2018
For If, since the translation is done I'm assuming most of you are giving it a whirl.

Since we're talking about the old Persona games, I recently finished Eternal Punishment, I wanted to wait for the fan translation of the PSP version but gave up so I grabbed the PSone version when it was on sale on PSN to play on Vita. The P2 duology is fantastic, I love it.

Now I'm playing the PSP version of P1 on Vita. I played it many years ago and it's weird, I didn't remember anything about it except that I didn't like it lol. My brain has been telling me that can't be right so I decided to give it another chance and I'm loving it. Dat encounter rate though...
if is a snes game so i was spot on. if you wanna play it on a console, maybe stick with retroarch or whatever emulator deemed accurate.

Deleted member 2834

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Can't wait for Persona Q2. The first game was awesome. They just gotta balance ailments and mudo/hama spells and it's gonne be a fantastic sequel I believe.

Eolz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
FR
Hold on, there's no western release date for PQ2? I thought we get it this month lmao. Oh dear.
Nope. My guess is summer or fall 2019.
We're getting Etrian Odyssey Nexus (X) in February for example, and it released in August in Japan. No localized voices this time for this one, but I doubt they wouldn't put english voices in PQ2.

edit: just seen this, don't know if it was shared earlier:
https://dijehtranslations.wordpress.com/2018/11/03/smt-iv-draft-scenario/

Last edited:

Dragon1893

Oct 25, 2017
Been trying to get into SMT1, 2 and if but I don't have the patience for this type of experience anymore.
Strange Journey and Soul Hackers are among my favorite games, I'm currently replaying P1 and having a blast, but the 16 bit games are just too archaic for me at this point.
I wish Atlus had ported them to 3DS with the EO engine.
The core things that make SMT great are there of course, but the games would benefit tremendously from an update.

MoonFrog

Oct 25, 2017
Been trying to get into SMT1, 2 and if but I don't have the patience for this type of experience anymore.
Strange Journey and Soul Hackers are among my favorite games, I'm currently replaying P1 and having a blast, but the 16 bit games are just too archaic for me at this point.
I wish Atlus had ported them to 3DS with the EO engine.
The core things that make SMT great are there of course, but the games would benefit tremendously from an update.
What's getting in the way? Getting lost? Which have you played?

Frimaire

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
How is Tokyo Mirage Sessions?
I think it's fairly good, though it's more similar to Persona than it is to SMT.
Honestly I feel like it may have been a better game at the time than it is now, just 'cause it made some good improvements to the P3/4 formula that now P5 has also made.
The Session battle system is pretty fun, and the dungeons actually have gimmicks and puzzles.
I would say the tone/writing is about two steps up form modern Persona in terms of how "Anime" it is.
The characters can be fun, but they're definitely more anime archetypes. Also the story is heavily focused on idol stuff, so if that's a huge dealbreaker I wouldn't recommend it.

Dragon1893

Oct 25, 2017
What's getting in the way? Getting lost? Which have you played?

It's a combination of various things, but the lack of direction in games with such a high encounter rate and where everything looks the same is something I don't have the patience for anymore. SMT1 doesn't even have item descriptions, I mean, wtf?
I don't want to be too negative though, these are the roots of my favorite franchise in any medium after all.

MoonFrog

Oct 25, 2017
It's a combination of various things, but the lack of direction in games with such a high encounter rate and where everything looks the same is something I don't have the patience for anymore. SMT1 doesn't even have item descriptions, I mean, wtf?
I don't want to be too negative though, these are the roots of my favorite franchise in any medium after all.
SMT I becomes easier to parse after the opening imo. First apocalypse is the only time I got lost/frustrated. You can control fights by negotiation and then better abilities/equipment. Recruit the demons you don't want to fight and talk to them to send them away.

SMT II is much more user friendly in terms of map readability from the outset. It is perhaps easier to get lost between objectives in the late game.

Dragon1893

Oct 25, 2017
SMT I becomes easier to parse after the opening imo. First apocalypse is the only time I got lost/frustrated. You can control fights by negotiation and then better abilities/equipment. Recruit the demons you don't want to fight and talk to them to send them away.

SMT II is much more user friendly in terms of map readability from the outset. It is perhaps easier to get lost between objectives in the late game.

Thanks.

Man, I really want to check out TMS as well, emulation is my only hope lol.
I don't think my current PC can cut it though.

7threst

Oct 25, 2017
Netherlands
I'm just posting here moaning about that Nocturne HD Remake/port we never gonna get. I just connected my PS2 to play it again, together with some sweet DSS I & II. God, I love these games.

I wait and pray for the Switch version of TMS. I really, really don't want a Wii U for one game.

Man, a Switch version of TMS would be absolutely great. Still haven't finished it but that game is the Persona-game we never got imo. Great game!

Dragon1893

Oct 25, 2017
So, be honest with me guys, SJ Redux yay or nay? It's on sale on the eShop. Surely it's worth checking if you're a big fan of the original?
I also don't have my copy of the original anymore.
I mean, in the end it's still SJ, surely it's worth it at half price.

Deleted member 8197

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Yay. The extra content isn't as bad as everyone makes it seem and some of the QoL improvements are really handy (like the app that lets you see where a teleport is sending you).

Mr. Capo

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
So, be honest with me guys, SJ Redux yay or nay? It's on sale on the eShop. Surely it's worth checking if you're a big fan of the original?
The extra content is bad with retcons and whatnot to fit the new Marie in the game, demon designs are good and bad with Demeter being the worst offender. There are a few "QoL" features that are cool to have like selecting demon skills in fusion but most of them undermine the game's difficulty in a bad way.

Dragon1893

Oct 25, 2017
Yay. The extra content isn't as bad as everyone makes it seem and some of the QoL improvements are really handy (like the app that lets you see where a teleport is sending you).

The extra content is bad with retcons and whatnot to fit the new Marie in the game, demon designs are good and bad with Demeter being the worst offender. There are a few "QoL" features that are cool to have like selecting demon skills in fusion but most of them undermine the game's difficulty in a bad way.

Thanks guys, much appreciated.

Eolz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
FR
People already replied, but yes.
The main criticisms are from the new art (which I think is more than fine for the most part), and the save anywhere making the game easier. The new content is different in tone, but still good.

Dragon1893

Oct 25, 2017
So, I've put a few hours into Redux. I tend to go on media blackout very early so I wasn't quite sure what to expect on a lot of fronts. First of all, I'm surprised by the amount of voice acting. It also looks much cleaner which is nice, the visual upgrade in battles and dungeons is actually bigger than I was expecting which is great, the original looked pretty rough.
I still miss the old art, as with everything these days female characters are designed to look as cute as possible but it's nice that everyone including the most insignificant crew members got their own portrait.
The combination of these aesthetic changes does make the game's atmosphere feel less opressive though.

As for saving anywhere, I'll be honest, considering that this is my second playthrough and that I don't have nearly the amount of time I had when the original released, it's a handy thing to have.

OP
OP
HylianSeven

HylianSeven

Shin Megami TC - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
Christmas gifts from my family were the other Kazuma Kaneko Works volumes I didn't own: 1, 2, 3, 6, and 7. I owned 4 and 5 already. Apparently 3 is actually available for a normal price again.

OP
OP
HylianSeven

HylianSeven

Shin Megami TC - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
Oct 25, 2017
I was actually curious how my family's experience ordering on Amazon JP was, but they said they got 3 on regular Amazon. Sure enough: https://www.amazon.com/Kazuma-Kanek...5887696&sr=8-1&keywords=kazuma+kaneko+works+3

$55, still imported, but you can order it from your Amazon account if you'd rather not go through Amazon.co.jp

I think Amazon JP will ship to the US fairly quickly and unless you really want the first printing the 2018 release should be good, and it's cheaper. Link

As a bonus amazon JP boxes their items really nicely so it should arrive safe and sound.

Deleted member 11008

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I defeated P5 final boss. It was easier I was expecting.

The scene was cool but it's not as epic as P3 entire final boss.

Deleted member 2834

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm in the final chapter of Radiant Histora 3DS's alternative history, and in chapter 6 of the standard history. Should be almost done with the game. It's one of the best Atlus games. You guys better get this game, if you haven't already. The hard difficulty is well balanced.

cj_iwakura

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Coral Springs, FL
I'm in the final chapter of Radiant Histora 3DS's alternative history, and in chapter 6 of the standard history. Should be almost done with the game. It's one of the best Atlus games. You guys better get this game, if you haven't already. The hard difficulty is well balanced.
I wasn't that impressed by it. I like the plot, but the time travel stuff is haphazard and confusing, and the battles take way too long on average.

Deleted member 3862

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I just finished my DS copy of the original version of Radiant Historia on January 1. It only took me eight years!

After that I decided it was time to slay another old beast in the backlog: SMT Nocturne

My god is this game kicking my ass. I'm playing on normal mode and I've recently just made it past Thor. I spent the evening trying to map out the Mantra HQ without dying. I made some progress but I got a little too far into it and then while trying to make my way back to heal and save I accidentally cast Riberama. Really tense.

Still makes you braver than most. Taking on SMT1 & 2 is full masochist.

I played these years ago via fan translation. I remember abusing the hell out of charm bullets in the first one but I wasn't able to do it in the second.

Last edited:

cj_iwakura

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Coral Springs, FL
I just finished my DS copy of the original version of Radiant Historia on January 1. It only took me eight years!

After that I decided it was time to slay another old beast in the backlog: SMT Nocturne

My god is this game kicking my ass. I'm playing on normal mode and I've recently just made it past Thor. I spent the evening trying to map out the Mantra HQ without dying. I made some progress but I got a little too far into it and then while trying to make my way back to heal and save I accidentally cast Riberama. Really tense.

I played these years ago via fan translation. I remember abusing the hell out of charm bullets in the first one but I wasn't able to do it in the second.
The second isn't nearly as broken, buffs and debuffs are still your friend though.

Deleted member 3862

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Damn it Daisoujou.

Fight him twice tonight. First time I didn't know what to expect. Got him low and he charmed the MC and eventually killed me.

So I thought to myself ok, I can protect against this. Through on the magatama that voids mind. No problem. Got him low again. Mahamaon got the MC. Damn.

Mr. Capo

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

Deleted member 3862

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm playing Nocturne as part of my prep for SMT V. I also have IV on 3DS from years ago that I plan on playing as well.

Is Apocalypse worth playing before V, or is it skippable?

Deleted member 3862

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Just beat Daisoujou. MC had null mind and went with Forneus and Uzume to steal turns away and had to hope I didn't die to hama/mudo attacks.

I also hit him with a pair of fog breaths and maxed sukukaja on my party. Basically just tried to make him lose as many Press Turns as possible. It worked!

Definitely going to finish Nocturne and IV before playing SMT V, and sounds like I can skip Apocalypse if the new game comes out before I get to it, but I'll play it if I get a chance.

Buckle

Oct 27, 2017
Would you guys say Persona Q is easier than Strange Journey?

Becuase looking at the dungeons in Q, I'm getting flashbacks to those in SJ which were a huge pain in the ass to navigate..

Combat looks great though.