• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

HylianSeven

Shin Megami TC - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
Credit goes to cj_iwakura for making this.
UAjUSrh.png

(Props to Vally, for image summoning skills!)

Welcome to the Official Shin Megami Tensei Community Thread:
For discussion and advice on everything from the core games to obscurities to Devil Summoner and to, of course, Persona.

Beware ye who enter, for here there be demons.

As long as console RPGs have existed, Japan has been dominated by the likes of Dragon Quest and Final Fantasy. But somewhere, just outside of the mainstream, lies the Megami Tensei series. Filled with dark stories about the nature of reality, technology, religion and humanity, the Megami Tensei storylines have been a bit too obtuse, and the gameplay a little bit too hardcore, to really attract the typical RPG fan. But the series - mostly relegated to Japan until recently - has created a cult following known as Megatenists, who devote themselves to one of video gaming's most expansive series.

Kr1Y2Ce.png

This is where it all begins.

Core games revolve around the standard theme of one man(and occasionally his significant other) and an army of demons against even larger armies of demons.

The core games are, thus far, Shin Megami Tensei:

smt1-mcd2.jpg

(Playable as a fan translated Super Famicom title, also ported to the M/Sega CD, PC Engine, PSX, and GBA.
Also officially localized for iOS!)

Shin Megami Tensei II

smt22.jpg

(Playable as a fan translated Super Famicom title, also later ported to the PSX and GBA.)

Shin Megami Tensei III: Nocturne

smt3a.jpg

(The first core game released in the US. Playable on the PS2, as well as the unreleased 'Raidou' edition with Raidou Kuzunoha instead of Dante.)

Shin Megami Tensei: Strange Journey

strangejourneya.jpg

(Debatable as whether or not it's [strike]SMT IV[/strike] a core title until the end of time; call it what you will, this is a true throwback to SMT I&II, as presented by one of the godfathers of Megaten.)

Shin Megami Tensei IV

oSkvp9v.jpg

It's no Nocturne, but all things considered, it's a damn valiant effort. A must-play.

ATMdwsv.png

The series that needs no introduction. The Persona titles are largely responsible for introducing the world at large to Megaten, and remains the most popular series under the Megaten umbrella.

Rather than elaborate, I'll let the following threads clue you in.
All are playable on various consoles, primarily the PSP and PS2 as of recent.

p01Pa7y.png

Although Devil Summoner's something of a second-stringer in the side-story category, with four games under their belts, the Kuzunoha Clan won't be denied.

Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Summoner
(Saturn/PS1/PSP*, 1995)
*direct port, never localized

devsum2.jpg

The adventures of the Kuzunohas begin here. The game has not aged well, but the atmosphere is still solid.

Devil Summoner: Soul Hackers
(Saturn/PS1)

soulhack2.jpg

With Innocent Sin's recent US release, this is now a contender for the cherished title of 'best SMT game never localized'. It deserves it.

SoulHackersUS.jpg

Well, except for the fact that it's been localized! Atlus USA went all out for the localization, and even gave m-f-in Sid Davis an awesome voice.

It was so worth the wait.

Devil Summoner: Raidou Kuzunoha
(PS2)

char-raidoua.jpg

Does this smooth pimp of love really need an introduction? Maybe. If so, enjoy.

e3z31nS.png

Another side-story series, limited to two games, but it runs on the Nocturne engine, and it's among the finest works the R&D1 team have ever done, so it gets some love too.

dds2-3.jpg

Here's all you need to know about DDS:

History

Amazing Music

WLyTzNJ.png

Limited to but not including:

Shin Megami Tensei: If... (SNES/PSX, never localized)
DemiKids: Light and Dark
Majin Tensei
Imagine
Jack Bros(!?)
NINE(???)
etc.

I have no rules worth mentioning, save one:

EUMSZWf.jpg

Last edited:

TinfoilHatsROn

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
The community is home again. Jack Frost plushies forever! Feels fitting considering this is my favorite game series.

Tenrius

For the Snark was a Boojum, you see
Oct 25, 2017
The battle for Kagutsuchi has been won and a new world has been created!

Oct 25, 2017
UK NW
Sup dudes finally stoked to be posting here.
Thought I'd mention I've picked my Apocalypse playthrough back up now and I was confused as to how to get to the fairy tree for a good hour. Finally figured it out and hello to the new world.

Tenrius

For the Snark was a Boojum, you see
Oct 25, 2017
I've been playing SMTIV for like 35 hours. I've came up to the point where
you have to either kill the Gaia woman or investigate a basement
and got somewhat lost. The map is really confusing. Going to resume my playthrough soon.

Last edited:

ClearMetal

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
I'm still somewhere in the final dungeon in Apocalypse. Wondering if I should just start over right away or soldier on to unlock those NG+ fusions. I think I'll do the latter. Still have the DLC to complete as well; Cleopatra slaughtered me the last time I attempted her boss fight.

Oct 25, 2017
Devil Halton's Trap
Oh hey, you guys are up now.

I'm just stopping by before getting back to work on the Trails thread. This SMTV announcement looks crazy, and I bet there'll be a lot of discussion quick, so have fun.

MoonFrog

Oct 25, 2017
Planning on playing SMT1&2 starting over the holidays. Excited to play more of the series. I went for fan-translated SNES versions.

Oct 25, 2017
UK NW

Barrylocke

Oct 25, 2017
I'd recommend SMT1 players that are emulating take advantage of the hack that lets you look at the map with one button press. I played through SMT1 before that patch but I appreciated it being a thing in SMT2.

Also, welcome to the new Millennium.

Stormbrewer

Oct 25, 2017
I'd recommend SMT1 players that are emulating take advantage of the hack that lets you look at the map with one button press. I played through SMT1 before that patch but I appreciated it being a thing in SMT2.

Also, welcome to the new Millennium.

Woah, playing SMT1 on iOS right now, could not imagine not having the instant map button! Game is hard enough without having to go through the laggy menu each time I try to figure out where I'm at :O

On that note, the maps are deliciously more complicated than all of Persona (except maybe 1), I almost wish I was playing this on console/pc so I could map out everything myself.

Any tips for particularly great demons? Just got Oni Jorou who's got "shock" (mana free zio basically) which is really helpful for clearing trash mobs, since shock status is so OP in this game haha!

RyougaSaotome

Oct 25, 2017
Heyo~

Anybody grab Deep Strange Journey (JP)? I only got like, an hour into the vanilla game, so I decided to pick this up and give it a real shot. The OG game came out during a time when I wasn't really feeling this sort of game.

ForteanMan

Oct 25, 2017
Dongguan, China
So happy this thread made the migration! Very excited about the SMT V news. Might finally finish my third play through of SMT IV:A, but there's just too much else to play at the moment.

Escalario

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So, I've been playing SMT IV. Want to do all 4 routes before jumping into IV:A for the IV save extra stuff. I'm not done with even 1 route yet :| Something tells me SMT V will come out before I'm done with IV lol.

data

Oct 25, 2017
Glad to be a part of this community. Thanks again and true neutral is best

mclem

Oct 25, 2017
Wait. Am I simply failing to see it, or does the OP not actually mention, well, non-Shin Megami Tensei? Or is that not regarded as a core game?