• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

7threst

Oct 25, 2017
Netherlands
Would you guys say Persona Q is easier than Strange Journey?

Becuase looking at the dungeons in Q, I'm getting flashbacks to those in SJ which were a huge pain in the ass to navigate..

Combat looks great though.
It's a whole different beast. If navigating dungeons isn't your thing I HIGHLY doubt Persona Q will be your thing since navigating dungeons is kind of the point in the game. Think Etrian Odyssey :)

Buckle

Oct 27, 2017
It's a whole different beast. If navigating dungeons isn't your thing I HIGHLY doubt Persona Q will be your thing since navigating dungeons is kind of the point in the game. Think Etrian Odyssey :)
Eh, I think I might aswell try anyway. For the love of Persona.

Its only $9.99 on the eshop. Shame you can't use gold points on 3DS games, could knock it down to $2.99.

Buckle

Oct 27, 2017
I really miss the P3 protagonist.

Playing as him is going to be weird as hell though.

Just some casual chibi fun before he has to go back to his horrific fate.

jonjonaug

Oct 25, 2017
Would you guys say Persona Q is easier than Strange Journey?

Becuase looking at the dungeons in Q, I'm getting flashbacks to those in SJ which were a huge pain in the ass to navigate..

Combat looks great though.
Persona Q is a pure dungeon crawler like Strange Journey is, but the dungeon designs are more like puzzles than "here's a bunch of diabolical teleport/one-way door mazes". PQ has "field on enemies" (FOEs) like Etrian Odyssey does, which all behave in unique ways in how they move around the map and react to the player/other FOEs or dungeon elements. You will frequently have to observe how these FOEs behave, then figure out how to get past them without running into them and triggering a battle. FOEs are typically very powerful when you first run into them, and will more likely than not kill you if you fail to run away. Later on when you've leveled up a bit, or even right away if you're feeling confident, you can kill an FOE and make good weapons and armor out of its drops. Some FOEs need to be killed for sidequests as well.

Dungeons also have various other puzzles that are unrelated to FOEs. There are some things like teleporter and one way door mazes in Etrian Odyssey games and I forget if PQ has any. But because you can draw your own map, make notes directly on a particular "square" of the map, and place markers these tend to go much smoother than the ones in Strange Journey do.

Deleted member 3862

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm considering skipping the Amala Labyrinth in Nocturne and just watching TDE in the interest of time. 11 candelabras seem like a lot!

Buckle

Oct 27, 2017
Five hours into Persona Q and having a really good time so far.

It makes me feel both incredibly weird and warm/fuzzy to be in a new RPG adventure with the P3 gang. Never thought I'd get to do that again.

Most of the characters are on point but Akihiko is written a lil off here. He seems to be abit more of a brash battle maniac/jock that gets into more stupid arguments but the tone of the game in general seems to be more light and fun so eh, its fine.

Are those locked chests you can open once you get 100% completion on a floor worth it? The one on the first floor just had a healing stone in it which is kind of lame but admittedly, its the first floor and super easy to map out.

Aters

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Welp, beat Kunitsukami Saturahiko in SMT2. Got 65535 (2^16 - 1) exp and leveled up 15 (OxF) levels. I love how you can go disgustingly underlevel in the game.
Just grabbed Apocalypse on sale at Target for $5 so I guess I will be playing it after all.
It's a fun game at the end of the day. Just don't think too hard about it.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hey cj_iwakura I'm curious about the Devil Summoner PSP port. How different is it compared to the Saturn version? Is it worth playing?

Deleted member 3862

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Nocturne is a long game. I don't know if it's Persona 3/4/5 long, but it feels like it could be. I'm about 29 hours in, at the Obelisk. I haven't even touched the Amala Labyrinth yet either.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Nocturne is a long game. I don't know if it's Persona 3/4/5 long, but it feels like it could be. I'm about 29 hours in, at the Obelisk. I haven't even touched the Amala Labyrinth yet either.

It's about 40-50 hours to do a 100% run.

Last edited:

Deleted member 3862

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
One day I may actually learn my lesson and not let my healers change skills. Every time I've allowed it to happen they've gotten rid of a healing skill.

Opa-Pa

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah Nocturne is 60 at most if you really want to do a lot of stuff and optimize your party whereas P3 is 70-80 if you skip or rush most of it lol.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Help me SMT ERA, should I play:

Digital Devil Saga
Persona 2: Innocent Sin
Raidou Kuzunoha vs. the Soulless Army

Tfritz

Oct 25, 2017

Digital Devil Saga

Digital Devi Saga. The Soulless Army is rough (versus King Abaddon reuses a lot of assets from TSA but greatly improves the gameplay), and Innocent Sin is also pretty rough although I personally like it the most out of those games.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Digital Devi Saga. The Soulless Army is rough (versus King Abaddon reuses a lot of assets from TSA but greatly improves the gameplay), and Innocent Sin is also pretty rough although I personally like it the most out of those games.

Went with DDS since I haven't played it in four years.

Also Soulless Army has a way better story than King "Lucifer is a pure cinnamon roll" Abaddon.

Tough choice between DDS and P2.
Maybe go with the DDS duology but make sure you play the P2 duology as well when you can.

I've been putting off Innocent Sin for too long but I needed some classic SMT action.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Agh I hate when NG+ files give you all your endgame skills right at the start. It totally kills the difficulty curve.

look that's the price you have to pay to not be constantly beset by low level random encounters everytime you want to shop or fuse

I mean yeah the gameplay is improved by the dodge roll and having two demons, but the story, while interesting enough, is just another Chaos Boner fest.

The only games in the series to do the LNC balance correctly was SMT1, DeSu vanilla, and SJ vanilla, with the latter two games' updated rereleases totally ruining their stories.

Last edited:

Eolz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
FR

Digital Devil Saga
I'd personally reserve P2 for when the fantranslation of P2 EP PSP is out, but it depends what's your rhythm in terms of playing games.
You can't go wrong with any of those tbh. I'd go with Raidou next because it's pretty unique.

Kvik

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Downunder.
So, I recently started playing SMT IV, and while I'm enjoying myself so far (advanced filtering in the Demon Compedium is superb), I kind of wish Atlus had developed the game for a more capable console. Not only I wasn't a fan of playing games in a handheld, but I feel that the visual novel-styled presentation is a step back from the timeless expansive level design of Nocturne.

For example, Nocturne can look like this:

29754059467_3649d891d8_o.png

While IV look like this:

45778283785_468d1c836e_o.png

I have a somewhat higher expectation out of SMT V since it's the return of SMT to a home console with a decent hardware to back it up. Hopefully they'll keep the QoL improvements from IV too.

Mr. Capo

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
So, I recently started playing SMT IV, and while I'm enjoying myself so far (advanced filtering in the Demon Compedium is superb), I kind of wish Atlus had developed the game for a more capable console. Not only I wasn't a fan of playing games in a handheld, but I feel that the visual novel-styled presentation is a step back from the timeless expansive level design of Nocturne.

For example, Nocturne can look like this:

29754059467_3649d891d8_o.png

While IV look like this:

45778283785_468d1c836e_o.png

I have a somewhat higher expectation out of SMT V since it's the return of SMT to a home console with a decent hardware to back it up. Hopefully they'll keep the QoL improvements from IV too.

Being on handheld didn't stop Strange Journey from being one of the most beloved games in mainline. The problem with IV and onwards is that they're not really good games compared to its predecessors.

Kvik

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Downunder.
Being on handheld didn't stop Strange Journey from being one of the most beloved games in mainline. The problem with IV and onwards is that they're not really good games compared to its predecessors.

I don't have that frame of reference yet since I haven't progressed very far in Strange Journey. I'm most likely to complete IV/Apocalypse first before proceeding with Strange Journey, though.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Guys I have a confession to make.

I think Digital Devil Saga is better than Nocturne.

Oct 26, 2017
Finished Yumi's route in SMT if. Man I forgot how much I loved old SMT crawlers. Im realizing SJ doesn't actually scatch the same itch when playing SMT 1 or 2 for some reason. There's something about the clunkyness, focus on Mappera, and annotating maps in those older ones.

Poppy

Oct 25, 2017
richmond, va
mem aleph going fine then she's like jk here's my second health bar and your buffs are gone, now you get oneshot

oh the joys of needing to basically be at a +3 stat differential or wiping instantly. but then i guess if that wasnt the case it wouldnt be very hard

i think strange journey (redux) is pretty good but not amazing

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
mem aleph going fine then she's like jk here's my second health bar and your buffs are gone, now you get oneshot

oh the joys of needing to basically be at a +3 stat differential or wiping instantly. but then i guess if that wasnt the case it wouldnt be very hard

i think strange journey (redux) is pretty good but not amazing

Do you have a Dragon's Ring?

Also you might be underleveled. I wouldn't touch Mem Aleph until level 80 at least.