• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Poppy

Oct 25, 2017
richmond, va
yeah i have a dragon's ring, between that and bite the bullet i just needed to do my setup the same way as phase 1 but i didnt bother since that was the first time i got to phase 2 and i wasn't thinking hard enough

and i am at level 73 with some demons that are like 66-71, obviously if it doesnt pan out theres always leveling up but i would rather not if i can make do with what i have. with bite the bullet into debilitate + luster candy and a little bit of luck, i can often survive the first salvo and then just try and buff control to avoid stat wipes while spamming salvation

only problem is i might need to commit to adding instant death voids or farming more tetraja rocks

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
yeah i have a dragon's ring, between that and bite the bullet i just needed to do my setup the same way as phase 1 but i didnt bother since that was the first time i got to phase 2 and i wasn't thinking hard enough

and i am at level 73 with some demons that are like 66-71, obviously if it doesnt pan out theres always leveling up but i would rather not if i can make do with what i have. with bite the bullet into debilitate + luster candy and a little bit of luck, i can often survive the first salvo and then just try and buff control to avoid stat wipes while spamming salvation

only problem is i might need to commit to adding instant death voids or farming more tetraja rocks

I played SJ Vanilla so I don't know how helpful this is for Redux, but get the Meteor Dragoon. Moan Bullet and Freischutz wreck shop.

Poppy

Oct 25, 2017
richmond, va
yeah better equipment for the mc would probably be a good idea, usually he's just acting like a commander and supporting demons with items and command skills but he does get shots off on mem sometimes

it's one of those things where i'm like man i just wanna beat this boss i dont wanna go do other things, how can i just win

we'll see if it's possible for me

Boogiepop

Oct 25, 2017
Reposting from a separate thread, and sorry that technically this isn't a SHIN Megami Tensei game, buuut...

Realize it's probably a bit of a longshot as I'm guessing not a lot of folks on here are intimately familiar with this game, but still...

Been playing Kyuuyaku Megami Tensei, the Super Famicom remakes of Megami Tensei 1 and 2, and I've been really enjoying 2 pretty well... until now. I mean, got up through Baal's Castle, beat him, turned him into a frog and captured him, my friend died a dramatic death, and I went and beat the big boss guarding the entrance to hell... but I'm missing one of the trinkets I need to advance.

And so, I'm stuck on this fucking demon tournament in Kourakuen, and it's just the worst.

I mean, it's just your demons so traditional grinding does squat, no healing between rounds so you need multiple demons who can handle it, a single death is a loss so you can only really throw out riskier demons round 1, and it's tuned really goddamn hard it seems so you kinda need specific types of demons to have a chance at winning at all. Oh, and there's some kind of weird level scaling going on that I haven't figured out. Like, just throwing out a lower level demon results in them insta-dying, so it's not that at least.

My only ones who can consistently win at all are Jikokuten and Troll, with Cerberus being... not terrible-ish. I got to the final round with them through pure luck ONCE but everything was mostly dead, so I insta-lost.

This is seriously the most pissed I've been with a game in a good while, so if anyone can offer advice to speed up this damn pain in my ass, it'd be greatly appreciated.

Otherwise, I'll keep up the slow process of gathering crap from the Baal's castle area, fusing stuff, and trying stuff out...

Boogiepop

Oct 25, 2017
I think Aeana or cj_iwakura may help you.

Just for curiosity, how many hours have you played so far with KM2?
Not 100% sure, but I'm thinking it's gotta be somewhere in 15-20 hour range. Definitely seems like a game where progress is hard earned so far, haha. But yeah, I spent like at least 2-3 hours last night slamming my head against this particular problem, and it sucks, especially since I was actually really enjoying myself up till now.

Edit: FINALLY beat it! Got a lucky run after fusing my Cerberus into an Ifrit where it just CREAMED the competition. Thank god!

Edit again: Beat the game! Hooray!

Last edited:

SpaceBridge

Oct 31, 2017
So let's talk Devil Survivor.

I've played the original and Overclock and still never beat it. I got close in overlock but I remember getting stuck on a map with a barrier and some angels.

Just bought the game (again) and would love some tips on finnaly completing it.

Deleted member 11008

User requested account closure
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017

It would be better know what made you stop play the game, so I would say this: don't be shy to abuse the skills. There are a few of them who can be very broken when you take in count the strength + agility stats of certain characters.

I wish remember more stuff to help you :(

Boogiepop

Oct 25, 2017
So, anyone have any thoughts on the stuff a little further off the beaten path in terms of spin-offs and how those are? Like, already have on my list playing all the mainline, Persona, Devil Summoner, and Devil Survivor stuff at least (JP only stuff included), and I already played through the Digital Devil Saga games, #FE, and Persona Q.

I guess mainly off the top of my head that leaves me asking about the Last Bible stuff, Demikids, and Majin Tensei, off the top of my head. Oh, and kinda Nine, which I'm not sure what to do about. Like, I don't really want to buy a damn Japanese Xbox for it. Any chance Xbone backwards compatibility could get around that, or no? And... just how bad IS Ronde, for that matter?

Oh, and probably will pick up at least one of the Persona dancing games, but probably not the fighter as I've never been one to get deep into the genre, and I'm willing to consider that deep enough in spinoff territory as to just say lump it.

Sumio Mondo

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
Majima Tensei 2 had its English fan translation released a couple of months ago. It's a good SRPG with some great music, need to return to it when I'm in the mood.

Ronde is just bad, not worth it trust me lol.

Poppy

Oct 25, 2017
richmond, va
shekinah looks real cool and i like the design but really it is just basically a mem aleph that hits harder

if phase 2 wasnt so damage proof i think i would be fine as i am

think if i just go grab some new armor for my mc i will be good, my armor is so goddamn old and can only survive unblocked hits at like 5-6 stacks difference

Deleted member 2834

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So let's talk Devil Survivor.

I've played the original and Overclock and still never beat it. I got close in overlock but I remember getting stuck on a map with a barrier and some angels.

I finished the game 5 years ago and don't remember any specifics that could help you, but yeah, that game was hard as hell on the chaos path. One of the best SMTs for sure.

Boddy

User Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Alright, I now have like all 3 DS/3DS SMT games on my wishlist + DDS 1 and 2 (already played 3 and I own SJ), but I heard that SMT 4: Apocalypse isn't as good as the others.
I was wondering why people think that way.

cj_iwakura

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Coral Springs, FL
Alright, I now have like all 3 DS/3DS SMT games on my wishlist + DDS 1 and 2 (already played 3 and I own SJ), but I heard that SMT 4: Apocalypse isn't as good as the others.
I was wondering why people think that way.
It suffers from a lot of 'anime'isms. It gets 'SMT dark' real fast at points, but then you have things like 'Power of Friendship! :D' randomly cancelling it out.

Gameplay-wise, it's fantastic, and has a much better difficulty curve than IV proper.

Eolz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
FR
Yeah, Apocalypse is worse due to part of the atmosphere (not all, it's still way darker than Persona) having more anime tropes than usual.
But it's at the top in terms of gameplay. I definitely wouldn't say it's "not as good as the others", on the contrary.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Soul Hackers has got to be the "coolest" SMT.

Having read a playthrough of Devil Summoner on the LPArchive I feel that game is now the "coolest" SMT. It's the purest expression of what I want in SMT, a subtle atmosphere of encroaching dread mixed with a jazzy soundtrack as you play some sclub bodyjacking a paranormal detective.

I love Soul Hackers but it doesn't capitalize enough on its brilliant Urban Fantasy crossed with Cyberpunk setting.

cj_iwakura

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Coral Springs, FL
Having read a playthrough of Devil Summoner on the LPArchive I feel that game is now the "coolest" SMT. It's the purest expression of what I want in SMT, a subtle atmosphere of encroaching dread mixed with a jazzy soundtrack as you play some sclub bodyjacking a paranormal detective.

I love Soul Hackers but it doesn't capitalize enough on its brilliant Urban Fantasy crossed with Cyberpunk setting.
DS1 has a great plot, but SH is way more cyberpunk. DS1 is more modern occult, with the whole 'crazed bible-wielding priest wanting to resurrect an ancient Japanese goddess' plot, but SH has a corrupt company stealing souls through the internet using free wifi.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
DS1 has a great plot, but SH is way more cyberpunk. DS1 is more modern occult, with the whole 'crazed bible-wielding priest wanting to resurrect an ancient Japanese goddess' plot, but SH has a corrupt company stealing souls through the internet using free wifi.

Oh for sure but it's still... too normal? Like it lifts the whole final dungeon of an underground labyrinth straight from DS. You only get two VR dungeons and they're basically just regular places that could fit in any Urban Fantasy.

The most memorable parts of SH to me were the Vision Quests, which felt like a natural evolution of DS' premise of the player character stealing Kyouji Kuzunoha's body.

cj_iwakura

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Coral Springs, FL
Oh for sure but it's still... too normal? Like it lifts the whole final dungeon of an underground labyrinth straight from DS. You only get two VR dungeons and they're basically just regular places that could fit in any Urban Fantasy.

True, but urban fantasy is so rare, especially in JRPGs, that even having a dungeon in a supermarket was a breath of fresh air.

Buckle

Oct 27, 2017
Got a question I was hoping you guys could help me with about new cycles in SMT IV.

Currently going through Reincarnated New Game Plus for the first time and I'm noticing some apps I'm supposed to have gotten through leveling up are now missing?

I started this cycle at lv99 but I'm not noticing Enemy Match up that makes weak enemies ignore you? Would be a huge boon to be able to just casually ignore all these worthless early encounters.

Do I have to progress more before they'll pop back up?

Edit: Well, I'm an idiot. Looks like I was looking at Apocalypse's app list.

Last edited:

Buckle

Oct 27, 2017
Was ready to wrap this up tonight but I had forgotten you have to complete a boat load of challenge quests to finish the neutral path in SMT IV..

iivWWIg.gif

Buckle

Oct 27, 2017
Finally started Apocalypse. Subtitle for this game should have just been "Man, Flynn is so fucking cool".

Seems to actually take place during the endgame of IV instead of just being a straight up sequel so far which is interesting.

I really like Nanashi's punk design and that the game actually starts in Tokyo. All the Mikado stuff from IV never really did anything for me, I'm here for the weird religious horror/post apocalyptic craziness.

BlackJace

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
What's good friends?

We expecting SMT V in the Direct tomorrow, or should I drop that expectation now lol?

Buckle

Oct 27, 2017
Just ordered SMT IV Apocalypse for 40€. Fucking robbery. The game better be worth it.
Its pretty good so far.

Well, if you like SMT IV anyway. Its basically more of that but with some improvements here and there.

Helps that they actually note locations on the world map so you actually have a better idea of where shit actually is in Tokyo now.

Deleted member 2834

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
SMT IV had balance issues and the dungeons were weak but it was a good game still. I don't care much (or at all tbh) about the story so I expect good stuff.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Apocalypse is superior to SMTIV in every way except for its more overt form of storytelling.

Buckle

Oct 27, 2017
Apocalypse is superior to SMTIV in every way except for its more overt form of storytelling.
I didn't understand half the plot in IV so that works for me. That and the codex is nice to have.

Apparently there was sort of reincarnation thing going on with Flynn in IV that completely flew over my head. Still have no idea what the deal was with the Akira guy in the blasted and infernal tokyos, game introduces him and never really goes into more detail about why he's important. Same with Stephen and the lil girl though I have some vague memory of them possibly being older mega ten characters.

He's mentioned a lot in the early going of Apocalypse so far though so hopefully they'll spell that out too.

Going to need to watch some sort of lore video after finishing Apocalypse.

Last edited:

BlackJace

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I didn't understand half the plot in IV so that works for me.

Apparently there was sort of reincarnation thing going on with Flynn in IV.

Going to need to watch some sort of lore video after finishing Apocalypse.

There's a (free) DLC package that comes with data log entries that explains the greater narrative that IV and Apocalypse were trying to tell, FYI. They throw around the term "Observation" in Apocalypse and the log entries give a proper explanation.

Hint

Apr 9, 2018
I started playing SMT IV over the weekend and am really enjoying it so far. Although I've played all of the newest Persona games this is my first regular SMT game in a long time. Last one was Nocturne over ten years ago.

I just made it past the Minotaur pretty easily. I had looked at strategies before hand though and made sure most of my team had Bufu and Media. I'm excited to keep going since I'm guessing this where things pick up. I own Strange Journey as well, so I'll try that next. Maybe Apocalypse after that.

aceface

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 25, 2017
I preferred SMT IV over Apocalypse just because the world of Tokyo was new to me, and although I vaguely knew what was coming up the atmosphere of it all just blew me away. It was also my first mainline SMT so that probably helped too. Apocalypse was great too but so much of it was reused assets that it just didn't have the same effect on me.

Buckle

Oct 27, 2017
Nocturne's setting, tone and atmosphere were incredible. Super eerie take on an apocalypse.

The world felt so desolate and dreamlike. I really hope V can recapture that feeling.

The 3DS games are good RPGs but they feel like a much different animal.

Last edited:

Tfritz

Oct 25, 2017
One thing I liked about 4A's setting was the main character's home base town... area... thing... actually felt like it was a settlement. Topside it has guarded gates, down below its sectioned off, with the living quarters being in one area and the supplies in another, and it just in general felt like more thought was put into it compared to the ones from 4 proper. (For comparison: The first station you get to in 4 has a big ol open entrance right on the street where demons are running around, and the very first room just, like, has a couple of children wandering around like it's no big deal)

What's good friends?

We expecting SMT V in the Direct tomorrow, or should I drop that expectation now lol?

We're holding a prayer circle about it.

Buckle

Oct 27, 2017
One thing I liked about 4A's setting was the main character's home base town... area... thing... actually felt like it was a settlement. Topside it has guarded gates, down below its sectioned off, with the living quarters being in one area and the supplies in another, and it just in general felt like more thought was put into it compared to the ones from 4 proper. (For comparison: The first station you get to in 4 has a big ol open entrance right on the street where demons are running around, and the very first room just, like, has a couple of children wandering around like it's no big deal)

We're holding a prayer circle about it.
The music in Kinshicho is so good.

I can shuffle and shake my shoulders to that shit.

randomelder

Oct 26, 2017

I think Apocalypse has a lot of issues in comparison to 4 beyond the storytelling, which yes, is absolutely dire. The NPC dialogue is a major step down, very boring and repetitive compared to its predecessor. There are less sidequests and the ones that are there are less interesting and meaningful. There are so many choices in the game that are completely meaningless, which is very offputting and out of place for the series.

The difficulty on normal, which is the only difficulty level without stupid fusion costs, is some of the lowest in franchise history, and there are many more enemy formations that share the same weakness and encourage magic-all spamming, unlike 4 which was more varied on that end.

The "improved" demon art is still pretty bad, Lucifer looks like a big dope with his big dumb hand and goofy grin. And it has some of the worst DLC ever made for a game, especially given what this series is supposed to be about.

And yeah, the sense of discovery and mystery and exploration is completely sapped for anyone who played the original and is going through 80% re-used music and dungeon/city content. It did have that record-scratch sound though, I'll give the game that.

Buckle

Oct 27, 2017
Lucifer has had a pitch perfect general design for a long time now.

Why someone decided he would look better as a bald alien vampire, I don't know.

Also the reveal of Medusa's face in IV will never not be hilarious to me.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think Apocalypse has a lot of issues in comparison to 4 beyond the storytelling, which yes, is absolutely dire. The NPC dialogue is a major step down, very boring and repetitive compared to its predecessor. There are less sidequests and the ones that are there are less interesting and meaningful. There are so many choices in the game that are completely meaningless, which is very offputting and out of place for the series.

The difficulty on normal, which is the only difficulty level without stupid fusion costs, is some of the lowest in franchise history, and there are many more enemy formations that share the same weakness and encourage magic-all spamming, unlike 4 which was more varied on that end.

The "improved" demon art is still pretty bad, Lucifer looks like a big dope with his big dumb hand and goofy grin. And it has some of the worst DLC ever made for a game, especially given what this series is supposed to be about.

And yeah, the sense of discovery and mystery and exploration is completely sapped for anyone who played the original and is going through 80% re-used music and dungeon/city content. It did have that record-scratch sound though, I'll give the game that.

All that is a small price to pay for the best battle system in the series history, Doi fixing most of the terrible guest artist designs, fleshing out the lore of the game's backstory through the Defense Minister sidequest, and throwing a giant middle finger at SMTIV's slavish adherence to series tradition.

(and I played on Hard but swapped back to Normal whenever I had to do some shopping or fusing)