• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

cj_iwakura

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Coral Springs, FL
cj_iwakura Completely off-topic, but are you still working on that Sakura Wars translation? (if you don't mind answering)
Ever since they announced the new one I've been curious to give the older entries in the series a try but it seems like the only one available in english is the 5th one for the Wii, so I got curious about that patch.
Yes, we've been updating via twitter.

cj_iwakura

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Coral Springs, FL
This is completely out of left field, but did anyone noticed that Chiaki is missing an arm after she returns to Ikebukuro?
D4-qA9ZWsAANSfD.jpg

It's damn impressive she survived Sakahagi.

Eolz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
FR
Soul Hackers is on sale for 7.5€ on the EU eshop for those that never played it (you should). Doesn't seem to be on sale on NA eshop this time.

FLCL

Oct 27, 2017
Soul Hackers is on sale for 7.5€ on the EU eshop for those that never played it (you should). Doesn't seem to be on sale on NA eshop this time.
Thanks I picked it up! Except for Persona the only SMT games I've played are SMTIV and IV:A. So far, an hour in, and I have to say this game starts pretty strong. Have to say though that playing SMT again makes me wanting SMT V even more... It's time, give it to us :(

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
The biggest issue with Soul Hackers story-wise is the ending. Even though the main conflict itself is solved, they introduce some elements that make it all feel like a big set up for a last act or sequel that never came (since the Devil Summoner games afterwards became ARPGs set in the past).

OP
OP
HylianSeven

HylianSeven

Shin Megami TC - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
I'm sure this is probably a "no shit" type of prediction, and this is all based on ZERO insider knowledge, only following Atlus and what they do for a number of years.

A Nocturne remake/remaster is surely going to come to Switch. Nocturne is the only mainline game (other than NINE, which only Atlus pretends is a thing), to not have ever been on a Nintendo platform. It would be a really good, and fairly cheap way to build hype for SMTV.

Atlus has also been suspiciously quiet about SMT as of late, I feel that something will come soon, whether that's a Nocturne remaster, SMTV trailer and info blowout, or both. Persona has taken the spotlight lately for obvious reasons (P5R and S announcements), but I feel like SMT's turn will be soon.

Again, this is all speculation and based on zero actual fact other than seeing what Atlus does over the years. Sometimes Atlus is just a wild horse though.

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
If they remake/remaster SMT3 for Switch do they work things out with Capcom so it can feature Dante from the Devil May Cry series, or do they just go with Raidou? Or say screw it throw Bayonetta in that cameo role now that SEGA owns Atlus?

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Wasn't Nocturne by the Persona 3-5 director though? It kind of feels like there's some internal division over there at Atlus. They never ported any of those ps2 games (or reused their demon models) to the 3ds even though that should have been possible.

OP
OP
HylianSeven

HylianSeven

Oct 25, 2017
Wasn't Nocturne by the Persona 3-5 director though? It kind of feels like there's some internal division over there at Atlus. They never ported any of those ps2 games (or reused their demon models) to the 3ds even though that should have been possible.
Yeah Hashino directed Nocturne, and I hope he would not be involved in a potential remake. The thing about the PS2 demon models could be a number of things. Atlus isn't the most technically capable developer, and I don't know or claim to know anything about 3DS development, but given how Game Freak clearly had to struggle for Pokemon on 3DS (double battles in sun/moon lol), I have a feeling Atlus wasn't confident they could pull it off an used the sprites we got.

FLCL

Oct 27, 2017
In Soul Hackers can I recruit demons without the smile icon? They seem to respond well to my answers but the convos just ends. Also, what decides if a demon has a smile icon or not? Most demons I run into do not have a smile icon.

I'm sure this is probably a "no shit" type of prediction, and this is all based on ZERO insider knowledge, only following Atlus and what they do for a number of years.

A Nocturne remake/remaster is surely going to come to Switch. Nocturne is the only mainline game (other than NINE, which only Atlus pretends is a thing), to not have ever been on a Nintendo platform. It would be a really good, and fairly cheap way to build hype for SMTV.

Atlus has also been suspiciously quiet about SMT as of late, I feel that something will come soon, whether that's a Nocturne remaster, SMTV trailer and info blowout, or both. Persona has taken the spotlight lately for obvious reasons (P5R and S announcements), but I feel like SMT's turn will be soon.

Again, this is all speculation and based on zero actual fact other than seeing what Atlus does over the years. Sometimes Atlus is just a wild horse though.
I really would love if this happened. SMT has grown to be perhaps my fav JRPG series and I want to experience more of the games and everyone seems to love Nocturne. If it is happening when do you guys think we will hear about it? I feel like E3 is unlikely but I am not sure how Atlus usually announces these things.

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
In Soul Hackers can I recruit demons without the smile icon? They seem to respond well to my answers but the convos just ends. Also, what decides if a demon has a smile icon or not? Most demons I run into do not have a smile icon.

I'd guess those are the dark alignment demons. You need the "Dark Man" add-on to the GUMP to be able to recruit them through conversations.

Edit: I just remembered other details too. There's the issue of the alignments of your active demons. If you have a Chaos demon alongside neutral ones, your party will be considered chaos aligned and law demons won't join for example.

You can't have active demons of the opposing alignment (at least not when attempting to recruit demons with "Ex Chaos" or "Ex Law" alignment, or if you have one of those Ex alignment demons in your party). There's also the level issue. You can only recruit demons on your own level or bellow it.

Last edited:
OP
OP
HylianSeven

HylianSeven

Oct 25, 2017

I really would love if this happened. SMT has grown to be perhaps my fav JRPG series and I want to experience more of the games and everyone seems to love Nocturne. If it is happening when do you guys think we will hear about it? I feel like E3 is unlikely but I am not sure how Atlus usually announces these things.
Whenever the hell Atlus feels like. They don't often do E3 and the last time they did was for Persona 5 a few years ago, but other than that it's not their thing. Atlus USA does E3, but that's Atlus USA, just showing games that are being localized. I'd expect anywhere between a month from now and September (wild arbitrary guess). I feel like they could announce a Nocturne remaster and have SMTV info in the same stream event. I think it'll certainly be a stream event where they would talk about it.

spiritfox

Oct 26, 2017
A Nocturne remake will end up adding a new waifu and stupid friendship ending if past remakes are to be seen.

Boogiepop

Oct 25, 2017
Uuuugh, am I being arbitrarily screwed out of the ultimate equipment for the neutral path in the original SMT?

Guides say go to the red building above Tokyo Tower in flooded Tokyo, I do that, it's a long path down damage corridors, and when I get to the end... it just tells me the door is closed or whatever, and I can't do anything there. And I'm DEFINITELY neutral both from the overworld icon and fact that I just beat both those bosses before I can tackle the cathedral to beat this game.

Anything I can do about this? /should I even care, or can I just smash the final bosses in with normal stuff like every other boss in this game due to cheap stunlock and junk anyway?

Edit: Never mind. Just went for it and crushed it. SMT 1, beaten!

Last edited:

Hakunon

Oct 11, 2018
I'm about to finish SMTIV, got sucked into the Law path (probably my least favourite Law path out of I, II, Nocturne, Strange Journey, so twisted, I mean, in the way the "good" characters are portrayed) despite my best efforts to stay Neutral but I invested too much into the play to start over, maybe for a New Game+. I generally like the alignment system of the series, it just seems like there are too many factors that affect it here. I heard it's more straightforward in Apocalypse which I want to start soon as well.

Deleted member 2834

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
40h in and I'm burnt out on Apocalypse. This game is way too fucking long. The ending is nowhere near in sight either. I'm at the end of 6/8. Just how much longer is it?

ClearMetal

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
I am a few hours into my NG+ Apocalypse playthrough. I took the second option, so I only inherited the Compendium, the skill expension apps and unique fusions. Level, macca, etc. are all reset. Nice of the game to give you that option; I never did like NG+ runs where you steamroll the first half of the game because of your level and skills.

I wish all games would adopt Devil Survivor 2's system of awarding you points for everything you do in your first playthrough and let you unlock NG+ features at your own convenience based on the points you earned.

That Leanan Sidhe, though. I recruited her at level 9 or so and grinded her all the way to level 17, thinking she would have unlocked her final skill by now. Turns out she only learns Media at level 21... One of my personal challenges this playthrough is to unlock all learnable skills for every demon I recruit or fuse, before I move on. Looks like I will already have to call it off, because this is ridiculous.

At least my other challenge, recruiting Angel and keeping it in my deck until it has evolved into Nocturne's Angel, is still going strong.

I'm about to finish SMTIV, got sucked into the Law path (probably my least favourite Law path out of I, II, Nocturne, Strange Journey, so twisted, I mean, in the way the "good" characters are portrayed) despite my best efforts to stay Neutral but I invested too much into the play to start over, maybe for a New Game+. I generally like the alignment system of the series, it just seems like there are too many factors that affect it here. I heard it's more straightforward in Apocalypse which I want to start soon as well.
Apocalypse's feels almost non-existent in how simple it is. Still, I take it over this any day:

smtiv_alignment42o3w.jpg

Yes, I really resorted to making an offensively long spreadsheet just to get the Neutral ending.

ClearMetal

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
So I make a point of talking to everyone in SMT IV and Apocalypse. Most NPCs have small character arcs of sorts, or they just offer insight into the events and setting of the game. But there is this one NPC called "Toned Woman" in Kinshicho that walks the same route the entire game and only talks about wanting a room with a lock. I feel like there is some kind of joke there that I am missing?

Deleted member 2834

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You're not going to like the final dungeon.
That's unfortunate. It's a really good game, but it overstays its welcome by quite a bit. I'm almost level 80 and there's no end in sight!? The war difficulty is also pretty trivial so far. My physical MC is OP as hell.

I think it's way better than SMT IV, but I actually managed to finish that game because it had the courtesy to end at the 35h or 38h mark or whatever it was.

Deleted member 11008

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Oh well, I'll give it a try this evening then. Thanks.

Wait, I said very close, but to be fair I can't remember very well the played hours between each moon phase... or the events happening of there lol and beside, I'm pretty sure I finished Apocalypse before 80 hours o_O What's happening right now in your playthrough?

Edit: Oh, burning building? Ok, I don't remember well lmao

ClearMetal

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
Just said hi to Medusa in the Sky Tower, now to return to the Fairy Forest.

I actually thought you would run into Medusa the second time you climbed the Sky Tower, probably because my own Medusa is currently level 60 or so. Turns out she is originally level 33 (boss) and 39 (summonable).

Being level 37 myself, I and slightly overleveled and it shows. Rukh and Medusa were laughably easy, so I have been thinking about increasing the difficulty. Does anyone know if War lowers your hit/evade in addition to your damage output and defense? It is why I stuck with Conflict so far. I don't mind the latter, but I feel the former veers too much into fake difficulty territory especially with how Smirk works.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Just said hi to Medusa in the Sky Tower, now to return to the Fairy Forest.

I actually thought you would run into Medusa the second time you climbed the Sky Tower, probably because my own Medusa is currently level 60 or so. Turns out she is originally level 33 (boss) and 39 (summonable).

Being level 37 myself, I and slightly overleveled and it shows. Rukh and Medusa were laughably easy, so I have been thinking about increasing the difficulty. Does anyone know if War lowers your hit/evade in addition to your damage output and defense? It is why I stuck with Conflict so far. I don't mind the latter, but I feel the former veers too much into fake difficulty territory especially with how Smirk works.

AFAIK War only raises the values of enemies. It's the optimal way to play the game, but just remember to drop the difficulty down when shopping. The prices are outrageous on War.

ClearMetal

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
AFAIK War only raises the values of enemies. It's the optimal way to play the game, but just remember to drop the difficulty down when shopping. The prices are outrageous on War.
Thanks for the heads-up. I read somewhere that War triples prices, including the Compendium? I hardly use it at the moment, trying to recruit/fuse/fully train all of my demons, but that is just insane.

Sasliquid

Oct 25, 2017
I just got to the final boss they added in SMT: Strange Journey redux. I've enjoyed my time with the game but this is a horrid spike. I ain't gonna spend another 5 hours grinding for this. I think my time with the game is done, I beat the original final boss anyway but these last two fights are so much harder than anything else in the game.

MoonFrog

Oct 25, 2017
I finished MTII today and wrote up some thoughts on it here. Cross-posting here as, well, I used to post these impressions in this thread and to recommend to those of you who have yet to play it that you play it :P. It is a very good game and it feels like much more of the origin and foundation of SMT to me than MT did, even as it is picking up what MT laid down. Missing-link would be the wrong word because it pretty much just is SMT already instead of some in-between step. Really nice capstone to experiencing SMTI-IV.

Deleted member 11008

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Yo, in the new Godzilla movie there was a scene it look was straight-up from Devil Survivor 2. I wonder if that scene was from an old kaiju movie, knowing how much this game take from Evangelion.

hqdefault.jpg

Deleted member 2834

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
OK I'm up to moon 7/8 in SMT IV Apocalypse. I beat
Merkabah and Lucifer
back to back in Camp Ichigaya and hit level fucking 80. Surely, this game is over soon? At this rate, I'll hit level 99 before the game is over.

Deleted member 11008

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
https://www.reddit.com/r/Persona5/comments/bxcnjw/the_new_demon_in_kasumis_trailer_is_byakhee_who/

It's the first time I see this demon, but its wings, hands and legs are totally Nyarly. Looks like it's exclusive to the new Tatsuya scenario and kinda servants of Nyar, and it's coming back for Royal. I thought I would prefer get Sakura Wars instead than P5R next year, but I'm intrigued by this kind of development.

Edit: Yeah I'm more intersted about this than in Kasumi... unless she was a pawn for Nyarly, of course.

Dragon1893

Oct 25, 2017
So, I've been playing SJ Redux, just arrived at
sector H.

I played the original and I'm surprised how little has changed in terms of the main story. With the amount of hate some people gave this version I thought the new content was more intrusive but outside of
a couple of encounters with Alex
so far all the new content has been relegated to an optional dungeon. From what I can tell you can still access the original endings or obtain new ending by completing the optional dungeon. So, worse art aside, why do some people talk about the game so negatively when the new content can be pretty much ignored?

Deleted member 2834

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So, I've been playing SJ Redux, just arrived at
sector H.

I played the original and I'm surprised how little has changed in terms of the main story. With the amount of hate some people gave this version I thought the new content was more intrusive but outside of
a couple of encounters with Alex
so far all the new content has been relegated to an optional dungeon. From what I can tell you can still access the original endings or obtain new ending by completing the optional dungeon. So, worse art aside, why do some people talk about the game so negatively when the new content can be pretty much ignored?
Outside of this thread, I've found the MegaTen community to not be particularly pleasant. Be it the gamefaqs forums or the subreddits, although the latter tend to be better. It's a very niche and nerdy community and it clearly shows. Unless I need help in a game, I keep my distance from the MegaTen community to be honest. I remember Persona Q getting slammed by Etrian Odyssey nerds and it ended up being my favourite game of 2014.

Dragon1893

Oct 25, 2017
Outside of this thread, I've found the MegaTen community to not be particularly pleasant. Be it the gamefaqs forums or the subreddits, although the latter tend to be better. It's a very niche and nerdy community and it clearly shows. Unless I need help in a game, I keep my distance from the MegaTen community to be honest. I remember Persona Q getting slammed by Etrian Odyssey nerds and it ended up being my favourite game of 2014.

I don't read/post on any other forums but I've seen a lot of negativity on SMT related threads here on Era when it comes to Redux.

Deleted member 8197

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
They made a portrait of Zelenin blushing which is so out of character for her that it means the whole game is a literal pile of shit.

I dug all the QOL improvements and really enjoyed my time with Redux.

Oct 25, 2017
Fought Ongyo-ki in SMT 3. That boss legit made me upgrade my demons a bit and make me fuse something with Dekaja on it. This game really teaches you the importance of debuffs.

The Last Laugh

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Dec 31, 2018
Hopefully this is allowed. What is the best way to play the original first two games since they have been removed from the IOS store. I keep hearing the SNES version with certain patches but it is a dead find most places.
Also for prosperity and replaying the DDS series as well as P3 and P4 is it better to get a PS2 and the games since most are being reprinted regularly or a PS3 and the PS2 Classics version

cj_iwakura

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Coral Springs, FL
Hopefully this is allowed. What is the best way to play the original first two games since they have been removed from the IOS store. I keep hearing the SNES version with certain patches but it is a dead find most places.
Also for prosperity and replaying the DDS series as well as P3 and P4 is it better to get a PS2 and the games since most are being reprinted regularly or a PS3 and the PS2 Classics version
-SNES fan translations.
-Get a PS2.