HylianSeven

Shin Megami TC - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017

Yes, you read that right. There's an SMT tabletop RPG that had existed for a very long time in Japan and the Nocturne scenario of it is getting officially localized! I hope they don't stop at just the Nocturne one, but goddamn I really didn't even expect to ever in a million years see this happen. I'm probably going to pre-order it myself. This is really unprecedented.

OP
OP
HylianSeven

HylianSeven

Oct 25, 2017
Really interested in this -- any Japanese speakers of Era played it?

I haven't played it myself or know anyone that has, I just know someone that had bought it and was using their phone to translate it and remember something like being able to constantly reroll multiple times if you rolled high enough on attacks or something...aka something that sounded very MegaTen lol.

SaberVS7

Oct 25, 2017
TIL that Shin Megami Tensei has a TTRPG rulebook

EDIT:

Shin Megami Tensei: The Roleplaying Game - Tokyo Conception is an isekai action-adventure TRPG reproduces the world of Nocturne for you to enjoy.

i-am-legend-will-smith.gif

Muffin Awesome

It's Pronounced "Aerith"
Oct 30, 2017
Completely unrelated to this topic, but question for all my SMT heads, is SMT V and the rumor about the PC release... Is this still a thing or complete vapor at this point?

Will also be getting this haha.

OP
OP
HylianSeven

HylianSeven

Oct 25, 2017
Completely unrelated to this topic, but question for all my SMT heads, is SMT V and the rumor about the PC release... Is this still a thing or complete vapor at this point?

Will also be getting this haha.
It was on that nvidia leak list but I also take that thing with a grain of salt because some stuff was on there like Nintendo games too. It could happen but if it's real it's vaporware for sure.

Ashilyn

Oct 27, 2017
So having just learned about this there's some very curious things about this. It seems like it might include the Amala expansion book that Tokyo Conception got, since the page count is almost 200 pages higher than the original book and that's a lot more even with the difference in space when writing japanese vs. english.

It's also standing out to me that this is Tokyo Conception, the game's fourth edition, and not Mato Tokyo 200X, which was the game's 5th edition and to my knowledge the most recent one; it also got a whole bunch more supplements. Picking up a game that's been running since 1993 and not starting at it's oldest or newest edition is an interesting choice, particularly since as far as I know the last book for the game was published over a decade ago.

I know Lionwing has done other localisation, I just hope this one is good. I have the same fear I do with the FFXIV ttrpg - that there won't be any PDFs because it's a licensed property, which'll mean it'll be near impossible for me to play with my group :\

I guess it depends on your definition of what an isekai is, but Nocturne's story is not really 'normal person finds themselves in an alternate fantasy world.' It's a post-apocalyptic story where you are turned into a demon by mysterious forces. The planet your on is Earth still

Isekais don't have to be alternate worlds, or even fantasy. Some of the most famous isekai could also double as time travel anime (such as InuYasha). The protagonist typically just has to be displaced from the world they know to a time or place mysterious and alien to them. I'd definitely consider SMT3 an isekai, even if it's not the first thing that would come to mind.

Lord Fanny

Apr 25, 2020
Isekais don't have to be alternate worlds, or even fantasy. Some of the most famous isekai could also double as time travel anime (such as InuYasha). The protagonist typically just has to be displaced form the world they know to a mysterious time or place mysterious and alien to them. I'd definitely consider SMT3 an isekai, even if it's not the first thing that would come to mind.

I can see the argument for why time travel can be considered that, but this definition feels way too loose to me. Like anything post-apocalyptic or with an element of magic realism could be an isekai and that just seems to silly to me

LordHuffnPuff

Doctor Videogames at Allfather Productions
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
webernet
I can see the argument for why time travel can be considered that, but this definition feels way too loose to me. Like anything post-apocalyptic or with an element of magic realism could be an isekai and that just seems to silly to me
Alice in Wonderland is an isekai and she just falls down a hole in her backyard or whatever.

Jul 26, 2018
Atlus will do everything except release SMTV on a system that can play it at 60FPS. Persona bath salts next year to go with your Devil Survivor rinse and Soul Hackers shampoo

Lord Fanny

Apr 25, 2020
Alice in Wonderland is an isekai and she just falls down a hole in her backyard or whatever.

But it's an actual alternate fantasy world she falls into even if it's revealed to just be a dream at the end. Like in Nocturne it's the same world there has just been an apocalypse and the protag is altered by it. I feel like there's a pretty big difference between those two setups

LordHuffnPuff

Verified
Oct 25, 2017
webernet
But it's an actual alternate fantasy world she falls into even if it's revealed to just be a dream at the end. Like in Nocturne it's the same world there has just been an apocalypse and the protag is altered by it. I feel like there's a pretty big difference between those two setups

This is kinda like saying Chronicles of Narnia literally takes place in a closet

No it's literally underground. The original title of the book was "Alice's Adventures Under Ground." All that stuff just lives beneath the surface of the Earth.

Conversely, Through the Looking-Glass is a different world.

Lord Fanny

Apr 25, 2020
No it's literally underground. The original title of the book was "Alice's Adventures Under Ground." All that stuff just lives beneath the surface of the Earth.

Conversely, Through the Looking-Glass is a different world.

Even if you want to go down that rabbit hole (no pun intended), the framing of the story is still that a girl falls into an alternate fantasy world that the 'real world' is seemingly unaware of. Like I said, it will always come down to how loose you want to define what this genre is, but honestly if you're going to be that loose with it you might as well say every story where someone discovers magic or some kind of magical element to their world is an isekai.

Like Haruki Murakami's Sputnik Sweetheart must be an isekai because there's implications someone vanished into an alternate world and we briefly see what might be a glimpse of that. Or Harry Potter is one because Harry lives a normal life in the beginning despite the fact that the story establishes that theses two worlds co-exist on the same world and even intertwine at certain times and so on. Persona is an isekai because they fall into the Metaverse despite the Metaverse being established as just being some extension of the actual world.

I guess you could say all of those are that, but I personally wouldn't myself

LordHuffnPuff

Verified
Oct 25, 2017
webernet
Even if you want to go down that rabbit hole (no pun intended), the framing of the story is still that a girl falls into an alternate fantasy world that the 'real world' is seemingly unaware of. Like I said, it will always come down to how loose you want to define what this genre is, but honestly if you're going to be that loose with it you might as well say every story where someone discovers magic or some kind of magical element to their world is an isekai.

Like Haruki Murakami's Sputnik Sweetheart must be an isekai because there's implications someone vanished into an alternate world and we briefly see what might be a glimpse of that. Or Harry Potter is one because Harry lives a normal life in the beginning despite the fact that the story establishes that theses two worlds co-exist on the same world and even intertwine at certain times and so on. Persona is an isekai because they fall into the Metaverse despite the Metaverse being established as just being some extension of the actual world.

I guess you could say all of those are that, but I personally wouldn't myself
I haven't read Sputnik Sweetheart but I think to be an isekai it's supposed to be something that is a major part of the main character's fundamental experience. Harry Potter's a bad example because it's not a secret world, just a secret society. It's like the illuminati. The Metaverse or TV world or Dark Hour or whatever is weird because they're not alternate worlds, they're a philosophical concept manifested.

Anyway, the Wikipedia page for isekai does list Alice in Wonderland, Peter Pan, The Chronicles of Narnia and The Wonderful Wizard of Oz as the early prefigurings of the genre so I'll rest my case on that, the font of all human knowledge.

Lord Fanny

Apr 25, 2020
I haven't read Sputnik Sweetheart but I think to be an isekai it's supposed to be something that is a major part of the main character's fundamental experience. Harry Potter's a bad example because it's not a secret world, just a secret society. It's like the illuminati. The Metaverse or TV world or Dark Hour or whatever is weird because they're not alternate worlds, they're a philosophical concept manifested.

Anyway, the Wikipedia page for isekai does list Alice in Wonderland, Peter Pan, The Chronicles of Narnia and The Wonderful Wizard of Oz as the early prefigurings of the genre so I'll rest my case on that, the font of all human knowledge.

I'm not disputing Alice in Wonderland works under the definition, so you're resting your case in a different trial. I'm saying I don't think that Nocturne is like that in its setting or, more importantly, its framing and why I don't really see it as part of the genre

OP
OP
HylianSeven

HylianSeven

Oct 25, 2017
I figure I'll make a new thread when an actual page is up and it's not screenshots of a page that was taken down, but someone posted this on Reddit. The 2/20 date on Amazon seemed to be placeholder, but this was actually on LionWing Publishing's website.

Edit: Kazuma Kaneko note does not seem to be a thing in the final product.

Last edited:

Ashilyn

Oct 27, 2017
Holy shit it's actually real. It's still weird to me that they're bringing over an edition of the game that isn't the current one in Japan, but I'm just glad to see it coming over no matter what. I'm glad they're doing a PDF, that was a BIG worry of mine because a lot of licensed Japanese TTRPGs don't get PDFs. I'll definitely be preordering it as soon as I have money, just have to figure out which cover I want.

OP
OP
HylianSeven

HylianSeven

Oct 25, 2017
Holy shit it's actually real. It's still weird to me that they're bringing over an edition of the game that isn't the current one in Japan, but I'm just glad to see it coming over no matter what. I'm glad they're doing a PDF, that was a BIG worry of mine because a lot of licensed Japanese TTRPGs don't get PDFs. I'll definitely be preordering it as soon as I have money, just have to figure out which cover I want.
Yeah, I'm glad they are, and the bonus campaign is a PDF too.

Also so it's clear to everyone:
PDF + bonus campaign PDF - $30
Hardcover + Bonus Campaign PDF - $50
Hardcover + PDF + Bonus Campaign PDF - $60

Note that for the hardcover, there's a few different covers you can choose from, all the same price. Choose your favorite.

SHINMEGAMITENSEI-BookCover2.1_2aa24b85-ed27-40cb-bbe2-ae5ffe938d4c_720x.png
SHINMEGAMITENSEI-BookCover4_2_720x.png
SHINMEGAMITENSEI-BookCover1_3_720x.png

LordHuffnPuff

Verified
Oct 25, 2017
webernet
I cannot believe that the images in the book aren't in color. It makes me very worried about the quality of the print, if they decided to go all black and white on SMT art.

ZiggyTee

Feb 21, 2024
Goodness, as a SMT fan and TTRPG addict, I cant believe I didnt know there was a series of books in Japan. I hope this does well, I would love to see more books localized that are less than 20 years old.

SinOfHeart

Shinra Employee
Oct 27, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
I guess it depends on your definition of what an isekai is, but Nocturne's story is not really 'normal person finds themselves in an alternate fantasy world.' It's a post-apocalyptic story where you are turned into a demon by mysterious forces. The planet your on is Earth still

I know you posted this a long time ago. But Nocturne doesn't actually take place on Earth, once the Conception triggers you are in what is called a Vortex World which is only part of Tokyo projected onto the interior of a sphere with Kagutsuchi at the center of the sphere.

On the main topic, I didn't know Nocturne got a TTRPG adaptation. That is fairly cool. I do agree if the interior doesn't have color art that is a little disappointing though. Might still be cool to get though.

Last edited: