• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

lucebuce

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Pakistan

Eolz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
FR
Seems pretty logical, would fit the usual Yakuza release schedule in Japan.

Son of Sparda

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Spring 2020 in Japan, and summer/fall release in west would be my guess.

Imagine the western release being the launch title for PS5. Would be so amazing for the series. Especially if it gets a dub like Judgment is getting one.

Derachi

Oct 27, 2017
Maybe it won't be this entry, but I think we'll eventually get to same-day worldwide releases with this series. Anyway, I can't wait. Day one for me.

Schaft0620

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I am still waiting for 3 4 and 5 to come to the US on PS4. That was suposed to start in like March.

KiLAM

Jan 25, 2018
I hope they release it simultaneously worldwide. Also same day pc release would be awesome.

Kyle Cross

Oct 25, 2017
It would've been awesome if they waited and made this a PS5 title. It would work really well considering this is the start of the series under a new protagonist. Having it be a launch title that also simultaneously launched worldwide would also be huge attention for the series.

convo

Oct 25, 2017
Those guys run like clockwork in releasing those games during december every year, i always assume it's because there are mutliple teams making the games.
They have mentioned that localization now runs even before jp release, i imagine the team is way busy with Judgment and that actor headache right this moment but it will probablly start this year.

Fjordson

Oct 25, 2017
Whew. Hopefully not too far into 2020 for the English version. Day 1 obviously.

Those guys run like clockwork in releasing those games during december every year, i always assume it's because there are mutliple teams making the games.
They have mentioned that localization now runs even before jp release, i imagine the team is way busy with Judgment and that actor headache right this moment but it will probablly start this year.
Yeah, what the localization team is able to do these days is mighty impressive. And I love how it's led to faster Western releases.

You may already, but this guy is a great follow on twitter: https://twitter.com/triggerredd

He's the head of localization for Sega of America. Can tell he and his team puts a lot of love and care into translating these games and based on some of his past tweets it sounds like Sega of Japan and America have gotten better at working together in order for Western releases to happen in a more timely manner.

Son of Sparda

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
It would've been awesome if they waited and made this a PS5 title. It would work really well considering this is the start of the series under a new protagonist. Having it be a launch title that also simultaneously launched worldwide would also be huge attention for the series.
The western release could still be a PS5 launch title. It'll be cross-gen but it would be a PS5 launch title nonetheless.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
December or March are almost certainly the most likely dates for the games, most of the series as of late have fallen on those dates, aside from a couple of Feb releases at the start of this gen.

Either way, I'm super hyped. TGS this year should be the big blowout for the game, I'll be importing day one no doubt unless they get a worldwide release. This has been my most wanted game since Ichiban was first shown off back in 2017.

Abriael

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Milano - Italy

I'm afraid there is a mistake here.

There is no mention of Shin Yakuza in the document linked in the article, and the mention is actually here
https://www.segasammy.co.jp/english/pdf/release/201903_4q_hosoku_20190426_final_e_.pdf

The indication of the release window says "2020/3~"

The tilde is key, as in financials lingo means "and Beyond." It also says "in and after " just above.

Basically, that's a partial list of the major games coming in and after the fiscal year ending on March 2020. Not BY March 2020.

F7Ij1n3.jpg

Mind you, it's not 100% the writer's fault because this is a rather obscure aspect of financial documents, but indeed, nothing there confirms that it's gonna be released by March 2020.

I'm pretty sure it is because of Yakuza's usual seasonality, but it's not confirmed.

Last edited:

NattyBo

Dec 29, 2017
Washington, DC
Shiiiiit not enough time to save and build a PC that can do the Dragon Engine in 4K/60FPS! But wow hype level is rising big time for me. And we have Judgment in a few months!

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
i vaguely remember they said they want to do world wide same time launches for all the yakuza games releasing 2020 and on, maybe this is the first time they will try that?

Kyle Cross

Oct 25, 2017
The western release could still be a PS5 launch title. It'll be cross-gen but it would be a PS5 launch title nonetheless.
Could it be cross-gen when it's likely to launch well ahead of the PS5? I suppose they could just sit on a PS5 version. That said, I'm actually interested in if we'll even see cross-gen titles with this upcoming generation being backwards compatible. Will devs opt for cross-gen games, just release them on PS4, or release them on PS4 with "PS5 Enhanced" patches via BC? PS5 will be interesting.

NattyBo

Dec 29, 2017
Washington, DC
Could it be cross-gen when it's likely to launch well ahead of the PS5? I suppose they could just sit on a PS5 version. That said, I'm actually interested in if we'll even see cross-gen titles with this upcoming generation being backwards compatible. Will devs opt for cross-gen games, just release them on PS4, or release them on PS4 with "PS5 Enhanced" patches via BC? PS5 will be interesting.

IDK but there is precedent for cross gen games with RGG studios. Pretty sure Yakuza 0 came out on PS3 in Japan. Maybe Kiwami, too.

Zephy

Oct 27, 2017
These guys have a lot to teach certain other Japanese developers. Super fast and such amazing quality with little to no bugs.

It's a well oiled machine and I obviously love what they make, but they do reuse a lot of assets. So yes they are very efficient, but most of their games start with a lot of content ready to use.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
IDK but there is precedent for cross gen games with RGG studios. Pretty sure Yakuza 0 came out on PS3 in Japan. Maybe Kiwami, too.
True. But your missing Ishin - which was a Japanese launch title for the PS4 and they launched the PS3 version at the same time. Makes you wonder, especially if its launching after March if they'll do similar again - as I seem to recall Sega/Sony wanting a RGG game for PS4's launch in Japan, I wonder if they do the same again. A theoretical 60FPS PS5 version of the game for PS5 would be amazing (not like I wasn't buying it anyway though)

Sumio Mondo

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
It's a well oiled machine and I obviously love what they make, but they do reuse a lot of assets. So yes they are very efficient, but most of their games start with a lot of content ready to use.

It's the same as From Software and why they're so good as well. They can reuse assets/engines/tweak things here and there and still produce such high quality. I'm looking at similar devs like Atlus, who have been extremely slow this gen with their HD releases (outside of ports/expanded releases).

Oct 27, 2017
I think we might be getting a PS5 patch similiar to PS4 Pro. They can put a PS5 logo and PS4 logo on the box. similiar to how Microsoft did it when backwards compatibility was revealed for Xbone.

Hardvlade

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
As much as I love Yakuza, I'm going to wait to get Yakuza 3, 4, 5. I bought 6 when it came out but couldn't bring myself to keep playing it because it felt like I skipped a lot of the story.

Crazy that Japan has 3 & 4, and we don't even have a estimated release date for 3.

Rosur

Oct 28, 2017
I still need to play Kiwami 2 and Yakuza 6 and then Judgment... I hope it comes out to the west on a similar schedule/ care as Judgment got.

Jul 24, 2018
Whew. Hopefully not too far into 2020 for the English version. Day 1 obviously.

Yeah, what the localization team is able to do these days is mighty impressive. And I love how it's led to faster Western releases.

You may already, but this guy is a great follow on twitter: https://twitter.com/triggerredd

He's the head of localization for Sega of America. Can tell he and his team puts a lot of love and care into translating these games and based on some of his past tweets it sounds like Sega of Japan and America have gotten better at working together in order for Western releases to happen in a more timely manner.
He's in charge of localizing Yakuza, he doesn't do any of Sega's other titles as far as I remember him saying. He did work on the localization or Persona 4 back in the day.