• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Zephy

Oct 27, 2017
Ah finally. I was waiting to see that. Have they confirmed what type of gameplay the combat will be ? Usual SRPG or real time ?

Zephy

Oct 27, 2017
Given the game's title I don't think it's impossible they go a different route this time. I'm interested either way.

PachaelD

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I can live with the action RPG-ish flex though the demoed environment was a little sparse. Still, good to see Sumire around again, and with the 12/12 date it'll be out soon. The Shanghai troupe looked fun to hang out with

bombermouse

Oct 25, 2017
Ugh, I'm out. Why would you reimagine a franchise and give it PS2 era mechanics.

That gameplay looks straight out of early 2000s.

Danthrax

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
Northeast Ohio
I think the combat looks cool [shrug]

I'm surprised it isn't a strategy game anymore but that's fine. Should still be fun.

HaremKing

Banned
Dec 20, 2018
Man, they've turned it into a Mosou game?
Not really sure why I see this comment (and similar ones in other threads). Musou games are ones where there are innumerable amount of grunts who all die in basically one hit, and the attacks have such a large splash that you can kill 50+ with just one ability.. The combat I saw posted was pretty standard action RPG fare where you have a handful of enemies that will each take one full combo to kill.

Not seeing musou unless any action RPG is now being referred to as a musou.

Dooble

Oct 28, 2017
Seems to go the Shining Resonance/Valkyria Revolution rout.

I think it looks good however

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That's what Nintendo thought about FE before Awakening. Just as well IS didn't change the genre.
Nintendo also bothered to advertise the game. not to mention they kept putting out games to keep the IP in some kind of spotlight. Sakura Taisen hasn't had a game since the PS2 and that didn't seem to do well. the west has no allegiance to the IP so it doesn't matter what gameplay style the game takes, and in Japan, it's on only one system and has been out of the public consciousness for a while. has the IP sold a lot of merch by volume that I'm incapable of seeing or what? I just don't see a reason for this to do well

Evildeadhead

Oct 26, 2017
Nintendo also bothered to advertise the game. not to mention they kept putting out games to keep the IP in some kind of spotlight. Sakura Taisen hasn't had a game since the PS2 and that didn't seem to do well. the west has no allegiance to the IP so it doesn't matter what gameplay style the game takes, and in Japan, it's on only one system and has been out of the public consciousness for a while. has the IP sold a lot of merch by volume that I'm incapable of seeing or what? I just don't see a reason for this to do well
I wouldn't say accidentally revealing Awakening was coming to the west in a post E3 chat with a journalist would be considered well advertised.

Didn't this series win a Japanese fan survey on Sega IP? If you were going to bring it back due to its popularity in Japan why would you change the genre to placate the west?

cj_iwakura

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Coral Springs, FL
Not really sure why I see this comment (and similar ones in other threads). Musou games are ones where there are innumerable amount of grunts who all die in basically one hit, and the attacks have such a large splash that you can kill 50+ with just one ability.. The combat I saw posted was pretty standard action RPG fare where you have a handful of enemies that will each take one full combo to kill.

Not seeing musou unless any action RPG is now being referred to as a musou.
It showed the MC's koubu going through a horde of mechs in one hit... it looks very musou-ish.

HaremKing

Banned
Dec 20, 2018
It showed the MC's koubu going through a horde of mechs in one hit... it looks very musou-ish.
Are you referring to around 10 seconds into the linked twitter video where there's a quick acceleration/spin attack combo and like 5 mechs get hit? Is 5 a "horde"? If 20+ mechs got hit then it'd be musou-ish. 5 is just ARPG fodder. That move's damage wouldn't be out of place in something like Nier Automata or the Yakuza games which also have moves that can be used to hit 5 enemies at once..

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I wouldn't say accidentally revealing Awakening was coming to the west in a post E3 chat with a journalist would be considered well advertised.

Didn't this series win a Japanese fan survey on Sega IP? If you were going to bring it back due to its popularity in Japan why would you change the genre to placate the west?
I mean, if you want to ignore the nonstop ads on Cartoon Network, Disney, and the like, yea, an offhand announcement is poor advertisement. because we all know games make and break on how they're announced. not what comes afterwards

and I never said they changed to placate the west. I said the change actually gives the west something to be interested about in this game. it's not exactly non-niche with it's original styling. hell, I'd say the change was more to placate a younger audience in Japan.

and fan surveys are nice and all, but voting when it doesn't cost you anything is one thing. will these folks actually put money down is another (and if the sample is actually representative of the buying audience is also a big question).

I KILL PXLS

Oct 25, 2017
Interesting direction. As someone whose never played these games but is aware of the history, I'm not sure how I feel about it.

Evildeadhead

Oct 26, 2017
I mean, if you want to ignore the nonstop ads on Cartoon Network, Disney, and the like, yea, an offhand announcement is poor advertisement. because we all know games make and break on how they're announced. not what comes afterwards

and I never said they changed to placate the west. I said the change actually gives the west something to be interested about in this game. it's not exactly non-niche with it's original styling. hell, I'd say the change was more to placate a younger audience in Japan.

and fan surveys are nice and all, but voting when it doesn't cost you anything is one thing. will these folks actually put money down is another (and if the sample is actually representative of the buying audience is also a big question).
I don't watch those channels so wouldn't know. The announcement showed how little faith Nintendo had in the franchise. Now the games are released simultaneously worldwide and that's without doing anything to westernise FE as the game that started the renaissance was seen as unlikely to release here.

So the west or Japanese kids aren't interested in well made Japanese strategy RPGs with VN elements? Nintendo must be sweating bullets...

When the fan survey is the reason the game is being made I'd say it's a risk to change genre and potentially alienate the people who actually went to the bother of voting. Why not just make a new IP at that point?

bulletyen

Nov 12, 2017
I'm kinda disappointed. Thought it was gonna be following its roots... Nothing wrong with an ARPG but what's shown here doesn't inspire confidence. Combat looks... repetitive, stiff, and not very spectacular. Also the environments are vast (why are they so huge? makes the giant mecha look so tiny) and empty.

Renteka-Bond

Chicken Chaser
Dec 28, 2017
Clearwater, Florida
The Combat in that Twitter link actually looks surprisingly good. I'm used to these kind of games being pretty trashy, but that actually looks pretty smooth. I still have a copy of Sakura Wars SoLongLostLove sitting around in my hard drive somewhere. I know this series is supposed to be pretty long/popular in Japan, but would that be a good standalone one to play to get into it?

laser

Feb 17, 2018
Being able to control all the characters at once in the strategy game was important to establishing the comradre of the main characters. I'm pretty disappointed that it's not going to be the case here.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't watch those channels so wouldn't know. The announcement showed how little faith Nintendo had in the franchise. Now the games are released simultaneously worldwide and that's without doing anything to westernise FE as the game that started the renaissance was seen as unlikely to release here.

So the west or Japanese kids aren't interested in well made Japanese strategy RPGs with VN elements? Nintendo must be sweating bullets...

When the fan survey is the reason the game is being made I'd say it's a risk to change genre and potentially alienate the people who actually went to the bother of voting. Why not just make a new IP at that point?
you say little faith, but ad campaigns aren't made overnight and certainly not because of the response towards Reggie casually mentioning the game. they gave it their all for the potentially last effort and was rewarded for it.

this game, in comparison, hasn't been in the spotlight, especially for kids. it's pretty much a new IP for them. outside of Fire Emblem and this, is there any other JP strategy game with VN elements? do they do well?

and for you last point, you have to ask Sega about that. they gave people the strategy game they wanted with Valkyria Chronicles 4 and didn't get anything out of it. maybe that's why they changed things up here.

Evildeadhead

Oct 26, 2017
you say little faith, but ad campaigns aren't made overnight and certainly not because of the response towards Reggie casually mentioning the game. they gave it their all for the potentially last effort and was rewarded for it.

this game, in comparison, hasn't been in the spotlight, especially for kids. it's pretty much a new IP for them. outside of Fire Emblem and this, is there any other JP strategy game with VN elements? do they do well?

and for you last point, you have to ask Sega about that. they gave people the strategy game they wanted with Valkyria Chronicles 4 and didn't get anything out of it. maybe that's why they changed things up here.
The game was created with Japanese release in mind full stop. The last DS Fire Emblem game wasn't released here so when Reggie casually announced that the new one was going to be it was a big deal. Awakening sold on its quality more than any other metric.

But isn't this the ideal series to copy the Fire Emblem recipe? That's my point - if not this then what? Everything is action now.

Was VC a big seller? Releasing at the end of September wasn't the wisest move, I still haven't bought it as I was knee deep in Dragon Quest 11 but then moved on to other things.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The game was created with Japanese release in mind full stop. The last DS Fire Emblem game wasn't released here so when Reggie casually announced that the new one was going to be it was a big deal. Awakening sold on its quality more than any other metric.

But isn't this the ideal series to copy the Fire Emblem recipe? That's my point - if not this then what? Everything is action now.

Was VC a big seller? Releasing at the end of September wasn't the wisest move, I still haven't bought it as I was knee deep in Dragon Quest 11 but then moved on to other things.
quality and good advertisement. simply being good doesn't sell games and Awakening never would have reached the numbers it did without it.

as for Sakura Wars, they can do it whenever. I just don't have too high expectation. hell, I'm raising my expectations a little because it's not a strategy game. regardless, I don't think the genre change will be the major reasoning if this game fails to perform as there are other issues that are more important.

VC did ok. the first game did 1M thanks to the bomba bins which is why it moved to the PSP. but I think Sega overestimated the game and VC4. again, I think pricing was the issue

flashman92

Feb 15, 2018
That's 3 srpg franchises that Sega has decided to turn into an ARPG. Valkria Revolution was a spinoff, and we got 4, so it was fine. Shining became exclusively ARPG (except Feather). If this is a mainline Sakura Wars game, looks like is another Shining Force scenario where we never get another SRPG.

EDIT: Watched the rest of the footage from the stream. Game look . . . eh. Looks like a generic Marvel beat em up, and I doubt this game will have 4 player co op like those games do.

Last edited:

Evildeadhead

Oct 26, 2017
quality and good advertisement. simply being good doesn't sell games and Awakening never would have reached the numbers it did without it.

as for Sakura Wars, they can do it whenever. I just don't have too high expectation. hell, I'm raising my expectations a little because it's not a strategy game. regardless, I don't think the genre change will be the major reasoning if this game fails to perform as there are other issues that are more important.

VC did ok. the first game did 1M thanks to the bomba bins which is why it moved to the PSP. but I think Sega overestimated the game and VC4. again, I think pricing was the issue
Being good is the reason the western branches got behind it in the end as they knew they had a 90MC game on their hands. None of that factored into development unlike other franchises which have purposefully chased the western market and/or new demographics only to lose what attracted people to those games in the first place.

I doubt it, it's in Shining Force or Front Mission territory now, I think they'll double down even if it bombs, which is highly likely as I can't see a random gamer running out to buy something called Sakura Wars. They'll have to change the name and play up the mechs and hope for the best.

You're spot on about VC. I bought it a few weeks after launch for £15 but then the PC (and to a lesser extent console) re-releases probably gave them false expectations.