• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
OP
OP
Beartruck

Beartruck

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Technically, yes. But most of them are fanservice. You have serveral bikinis, and a maid outfit for all the girls. And there are 'idol' costumes for all the girls and boys.

I really like Sonia's base outfit, but I totally agree with you about Yuma. Unfortunately he only has one alternate outfit, and it's the Idol uniform.
It's worth noting the "idol" costumes don't make them look like jpop idols so much as it makes them look like a marching band.

Also, each girl having 6 bikini costumes means I can cross off swimsuits on the bingo card.

Linkura

Oct 25, 2017
This review is one of the worst written reviews I've ever come across lol. It's not even a review. It's so generalised and doesn't really go into anything specific whatsoever. How is the music? What is a typical battle like? Is there a good balance? What systems are there outside combat? Any crafting? You mention sidequests but don't even mention what type of sidequests. You mention tons of content but don't elaborate on anything. This tells me nothing.

You could apply your review to a lot of JRPGs and not one specific game. it's written that way. it's just skimming over stuff you kinda already know even before playing it.
This is rude and uncalled for.

Cornbread78

Oct 25, 2017
Northeast USA
Man I'm trying to. My switch has been my workhorse. I've been in and out of Washington training 3 guys to take the responsibilities of my position these past 2 months while I take a demotion that keeps me home more. Girlfriend is sick of the traveling.

I only have to travel to NYC once or twice a year for work, and I hate traveling, so I hear ya there.

Skulldead

Oct 27, 2017
Ho boy, i don't know for everyone.... i found the difficulty to be all over the place. This is not a baby JRPG.... I usualy never grind in my RPG, but here you have too, it's very easy to be underlevel quickly. Normal encounter are pretty easy, but everything else you have to get prepare or play well. At first i was like dragon is OP.... until i use hit on a grimoire dungeon at half MP, then he got berserk, had to use b.a.n.d and got wipe right after..... Getting 2 shots also happen for a enemies 2-3 level more then me... I fear thing will get more insane later on.

But overall it's pretty good overall, much better then my expectation.

Deleted member 2340

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ho boy, i don't know for everyone.... i found the difficulty to be all over the place. This is not a baby JRPG.... I usualy never grind in my RPG, but here you have too, it's very easy to be underlevel quickly. Normal encounter are pretty easy, but everything else you have to get prepare or play well. At first i was like dragon is OP.... until i use hit on a grimoire dungeon at half MP, then he got berserk, had to use b.a.n.d and got wipe right after..... Getting 2 shots also happen for a enemies 2-3 level more then me... I fear thing will get more insane later on.

Yeah I notice the jump in difficulty yesterday when I faced the Ice Dragon and the lesser dragon before him for the first time. I didn't grind, all I did was cheese him.

Tohsaka

Nov 17, 2017
I started chapter 5 and suddenly all the enemies are 10+ levels higher than me. I don't know if I should've been grinding or what, but I haven't really been avoiding enemies up until this point or anything.

Skulldead

Oct 27, 2017
I started chapter 5 and suddenly all the enemies are 10+ levels higher than me. I don't know if I should've been grinding or what, but I haven't really been avoiding enemies up until this point or anything.

Ive heard that this is when the game get pretty grindy, the step is even worse at chapter 6 from what i've heard on ps3 version. But i've heard you can be underlevel and still doing fine, thing will just get much more challenging.

mogster7777

Oct 27, 2017
This game is boring as hell so far. Does it get better?

In a lame town if you want to even call it that. The dialogue is trash. Just went out on a green field with ps2 graphics. Combat just seems spammy and dull.

Skulldead

Oct 27, 2017
This game is boring as hell so far. Does it get better?

In a lame town if you want to even call it that. The dialogue is trash. Just went out on a green field with ps2 graphics. Combat just seems spammy and dull.

A little hyperbolic here for graphic, the combat are way less spammy, but for everything else, there nothing that will change your mind.

Zafir

Oct 25, 2017
So people mentioned the enemy AI already, but boy, I feel like the party member AI might be the worst I've seen in a action based JRPG game in some time.

One boss I basically solo'd because my party kept deciding to stay in attacks, and I just couldn't be bothered babysitting them anymore, lol.

I think this is partially related to what I just said about the AI. A lot of the bigger bosses tend to have slow attack windups which are telegraphed pretty well, but they hit like a damn truck. Now this is fine as the player character since I'm smart enough to dodge out of the way, but the AI? Oh boy. They'll just stand there, continuing what they're doing and get hit.

One boss I started one of my party members died in the first 10 seconds due to that rubbish. :X

DangerMouse

Oct 25, 2017
I'm liking this game so far. I think this game would have been leaps better if it were turn base combat with whatever unique take Sega would put on it to make it different from the rest of the turn base JRPG's out there. Just my opinion. I hope we see more mid tier JRPG's like this come over to the west on the Switch. I also just want more JRPG's with dating sim built in it lol..
Yeah, though hopefully they keep coming PS4/PS5 for me too, hopefully PS5 (and maybe PS5/Switch multis like the recent PS4/Switch ones) can keep this gradual boost in console JRPGs going after the slow PS3/Wii/360 gen.

I'm quite glad this made it over this time, unlike the PS3 version that remained only in Japan.

Deleted member 2340

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, though hopefully they keep coming PS4/PS5 for me too, hopefully PS5 (and maybe PS5/Switch multis like the recent PS4/Switch ones) can keep this gradual boost in console JRPGs going after the slow PS3/Wii/360 gen.

I'm quite glad this made it over this time, unlike the PS3 version that remained only in Japan.

I wouldn't worry about games like this not coming to Sony consoles. As long as Sony doesn't go batshit crazy like they did with the PS3 wise launch their consoles should get "almost" everything coming out of Japan.

I'm more worried about the Switch and will be worried until these kinds of releases becomes the norm.

—————————————————————-

It sucks having to share your Switch with a demanding 14 yo. Lol... she's on her Splatoon kick with the Octo expansion that I decided to take a break from Shining until the middle of next month when she goes back to school.

I wouldn't mind if future Shining games developed their own Social Link system further ala the more recent Persona games. I like the dates at night and would like a improvement of that. I'm a sucker for dating sims In JRPG's.

My opinion the battle system is ok to decent. Maybe it's because I'm on a turnbase kick right now that I feel indifferent towards Shining's Battle system but that's honestly my biggest complaint and it's a complaint that I may not have when I pick the game up again next month and I've played through SMTIV Again during my break from Shining.

AztecComplex

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Why did Sega stop making proper Shining games like those on Genesis and Saturn? When and why did they decided to just say fuck it and start releasing new Shining games that play and look nothing like the games that started the damn series?

I cant think of another long running and prolific franchise that switched gears this much only to never come back!

AztecComplex

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sell it, get rid of it and never come back to it. But I'll still enjoy it though. PS2 Graphics? Come on...
This game has PS2 graphics but in HD. I swear the enemies and especially the environments could be rendered by a PS2 (sans HD of course). Only the main characters could give the 2000 console a run for it s money.

Linkura

Oct 25, 2017
Why did Sega stop making proper Shining games like those on Genesis and Saturn? When and why did they decided to just say fuck it and start releasing new Shining games that play and look nothing like the games that started the damn series?

I cant think of another long running and prolific franchise that switched gears this much only to never come back!
Why did they stop making proper Phantasy Stars games?

Same answer: SEGA.

bangai-o

Oct 27, 2017

They publish games based on larger market demands. Gamers on message boards may be demanding old school Genesis/Saturn style jrpg, but a larger market wants these 'Trails of...." style anime games.

borghe

Oct 27, 2017
Unfortunate this last page has just turned to people stopping in to trash this. :(

That being said..... the first couple of hours in the game there has been Waaay too much dialogue. I possibly wouldn't care as much of there was just an auto-play feature. But having to advance hundreds of lines of dialogue in the first couple of hours is harsh.

Combat has clicked for me better than the demo. Not sure why.

Overall a decent budget game. $45 with or order discount is only about $5 more than I'd feel good at so it fine. Unfortunately I won't be getting back to this until after Ys and Octopath.

But yeah this last page. :(

AztecComplex

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They publish games based on larger market demands. Gamers on message boards may be demanding old school Genesis/Saturn style jrpg, but a larger market wants these 'Trails of...." style anime games.
"Larger market" is such a relative term. Shining Resonance for PS3 in Japan didnt even break 100k in sales. Hell I dont think it even broke 50k. The public doesnt know what they want until they see it. Before Demon's Souls existed no one was askinig for a game like DS because we hadn't seen it yet. Shining right now is catering to a tiny tiny tiny niche of hardcore otaku and anime fans which is why it will never be a big seller. They need to reinvent this franchise or go back to basics if they want to grow it.

DangerMouse

Oct 25, 2017
I wouldn't worry about games like this not coming to Sony consoles. As long as Sony doesn't go batshit crazy like they did with the PS3 wise launch their consoles should get "almost" everything coming out of Japan.

I'm more worried about the Switch and will be worried until these kinds of releases becomes the norm.

—————————————————————-

It sucks having to share your Switch with a demanding 14 yo. Lol... she's on her Splatoon kick with the Octo expansion that I decided to take a break from Shining until the middle of next month when she goes back to school.

I wouldn't mind if future Shining games developed their own Social Link system further ala the more recent Persona games. I like the dates at night and would like a improvement of that. I'm a sucker for dating sims In JRPG's.

My opinion the battle system is ok to decent. Maybe it's because I'm on a turnbase kick right now that I feel indifferent towards Shining's Battle system but that's honestly my biggest complaint and it's a complaint that I may not have when I pick the game up again next month and I've played through SMTIV Again during my break from Shining.

Yeah, you're probably right. Hopefully they do some pushing for it again too like how Persona 5 got that super early confirmation for a PS4 version, things like that likely got the ball rolling for a seemingly much healthier gen.

It seems like there's a lot of PS4/Switch combo releases right now so it seems like there will be more.
Haha yeah, probably a good idea, JRPGs are a bit harder to enjoy when you need to take longer breaks between playing.

Edit: Heh, when I first saw Octo I thought you meant Octopath Traveler, so I deleted that part of my comment lol. My copy should be coming soon!

Why did they stop making proper Phantasy Stars games?

Same answer: SEGA.
Yeah, still incredible how they just stopped mainline Phantasy Star like that. :(

Deleted member 11413

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
"Larger market" is such a relative term. Shining Resonance for PS3 in Japan didnt even break 100k in sales. Hell I dont think it even broke 50k. The public doesnt know what they want until they see it. Before Demon's Souls existed no one was askinig for a game like DS because we hadn't seen it yet. Shining right now is catering to a tiny tiny tiny niche of hardcore otaku and anime fans which is why it will never be a big seller. They need to reinvent this franchise or go back to basics if they want to grow it.
That has nothing to do with aesthetics and everything to do with the decline of the home console market in Japan. The mobile gacha games that are making bank in Japan use these sorts of aesthetics and tropes and dial them up to 11.

DangerMouse

Oct 25, 2017
Unfortunate this last page has just turned to people stopping in to trash this. :(

That being said..... the first couple of hours in the game there has been Waaay too much dialogue. I possibly wouldn't care as much of there was just an auto-play feature. But having to advance hundreds of lines of dialogue in the first couple of hours is harsh.

Combat has clicked for me better than the demo. Not sure why.

Overall a decent budget game. $45 with or order discount is only about $5 more than I'd feel good at so it fine. Unfortunately I won't be getting back to this until after Ys and Octopath.

But yeah this last page. :(
Nice, good to see some more positive impressions liking it.

I think I'm used to having to press a lot over the years lol.

Last edited:

Orion

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
It feels pretty weird running from anime Aranea and having her in the party at the same time.

borghe

Oct 27, 2017
That has nothing to do with aesthetics and everything to do with the decline of the home console market in Japan. The mobile gacha games that are making bank in Japan use these sorts of aesthetics and tropes and dial them up to 11.
TBF.... people bitch about the gacha games.. which obviously the companies hide the most desirable characters (aesthetics or power) behind stupid odds... BUT... gacha games ARE enjoyable. I enjoyed the hell out of the stories and gameplay of FGO, FFBE, FEH, etc.

If you get sucked into the gambling aspect things go south quickly... but please let's not dismiss these games as anything worse than that.. in fact there's a few things about those games that are better than traditional home console RPGs... primarily the content updates and ongoing events and such. you just need to go into them with a mindset on exactly what those games are worth to you and stick to that.

It feels pretty weird running from anime Aranea and having her in the party at the same time.
yeah... I dislike that aspect of Xenoblade 2 NG+ for the same reason... Is there post game here to use the characters? Because yeah I really wouldn't like playing through the story like that.

Orion

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
yeah... I dislike that aspect of Xenoblade 2 NG+ for the same reason... Is there post game here to use the characters? Because yeah I really wouldn't like playing through the story like that.

No idea... I got tired of waiting for the plot to give me the slightest justification for it so now my headcanon is that dragon boy is just crazy and imagining the bonus characters helping him. lol

OP
OP
Beartruck

Beartruck

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

You know about Camelot right? TLDR all the original shining games up to shining force 3 were made by sonic software planning. SEGA treated them like shit and always provided them the contractual minimum budget possible for a 2nd party studio project despite their massive sales. Around the dreamcast era they got fed up, changed their name to Camelot, and now they make Mario tennis, Mario golf, and Golden Sun. You can tell they make Golden Sun because the menu design is identical to the old shining games.

DangerMouse

Oct 25, 2017
That's probably the main reason original mode is still included.

You know about Camelot right? TLDR all the original shining games up to shining force 3 were made by sonic software planning. SEGA treated them like shit and always provided them the contractual minimum budget possible for a 2nd party studio project despite their massive sales. Around the dreamcast era they got fed up, changed their name to Camelot, and now they make Mario tennis, Mario golf, and Golden Sun. You can tell they make Golden Sun because the menu design is identical to the old shining games.
Would love a new Golden Sun made especially for the Switch.

AztecComplex

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I did not know that. Goddamn, Sega really did fuck up continuously during the late 90s.

AztecComplex

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sure but they could reach beyond said niche by not going full on tropey anime bullshit. Look at Valkyria Chronicles 1 (not 2 and 3, those are actually bad examples). Thats an example of a veyr Japanese RPG of sorts that didnt went full-on dialed to 11 tropey anime, made a good game and managed to sell a million copies! If Shining doesnt fundamentally change they'll continue to enjoy their 100k copies sold.

Deleted member 11413

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sure but they could reach beyond said niche by not going full on tropey anime bullshit. Look at Valkyria Chronicles 1 (not 2 and 3, those are actually bad examples). Thats an example of a veyr Japanese RPG of sorts that didnt went full-on dialed to 11 tropey anime, made a good game and managed to sell a million copies! If Shining doesnt fundamentally change they'll continue to enjoy their 100k copies sold.
It's like you didnt even read my post.

Wilsongt

Oct 25, 2017

Sega pissed off the Takahashis during the Saturn to Dreamcast transition. They were finishing up SF3 Scn 3 and Sega basically cut them off as they moved towards focusin on the Dreamcast instead.

The Takahashis went off and started working for Nintendo and made Golden Sun before getting stuck in Mario Sports Hell.

Meanwhile, Sega finally brought the series back as a ARPG series using Amusement Vision and finally Media.Vision to do the work without actually tapping into any of the original charm of the original series.

AztecComplex

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I read it but Japan still manages to pump out JRPGs and sell millions when they dont go full-on gacha anime bullshit like with Dragon Quest, Final Fantasy, Valkyria Chronicles, Tales of, Trails..., Octopath Traveler (it is going to sell over a million), Xenobalde 2 (it took the tropes dangerously close to 11 but not quite, but they also invested and made an excellent game unlike Shining Resonance), Persona 3, 4, and 5, to name a few.

The home console market decline in Japan has to do a lot but not everything.

Samurien

Oct 25, 2017
Has anyone run across the item that lets your benched member(s) get experience? I've heard it mentioned but no idea what it is or when it becomes available.

Deleted member 11413

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I read it but Japan still manages to pump out JRPGs and sell millions when they dont go full-on gacha anime bullshit like with Dragon Quest, Final Fantasy, Valkyria Chronicles, Tales of, Trails..., Octopath Traveler (it is going to sell over a million), Xenobalde 2 (it took the tropes dangerously close to 11 but not quite, but they also invested and made an excellent game unlike Shining Resonance), Persona 3, 4, and 5, to name a few.

The home console market decline in Japan has to do a lot but not everything.
Xenoblade Chronicles 2, Tales of, Persona, Trails, Dragon Quest, Final Fantasy and Valkyria Chronicles are all heavily inspired by anime tropes and have anime aesthetics. Xenoblade Chronicles 2 literally has gacha mechanics, they just dont require real money. Fate Grand Order, Fire Emblem Heroes, Granblue, etc. are all huge money makers both in Japan and the west (not Granblue since it hasn't released here). Anime is both more accessible and more mainstream than it ever has been before in the west.

Like I have absolutely no idea what you are on about here. This release will easily outsell the original PS3 release simply because it's on more platforms and is being released in the west. So how exactly is Sega 'learning a lesson' from this game supposedly underperforming?

AztecComplex

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Xenoblade Chronicles 2, Tales of, Persona, Trails, Dragon Quest, Final Fantasy and Valkyria Chronicles are all heavily inspired by anime tropes and have anime aesthetics. Xenoblade Chronicles 2 literally has gacha mechanics, they just dont require real money. Fate Grand Order, Fire Emblem Heroes, Granblue, etc. are all huge money makers both in Japan and the west (not Granblue since it hasn't released here). Anime is both more accessible and more mainstream than it ever has been before in the west.

Like I have absolutely no idea what you are on about here. This release will easily outsell the original PS3 release simply because it's on more platforms and is being released in the west. So how exactly is Sega 'learning a lesson' from this game supposedly underperforming?
I'm trying to say that this franchise never grow out of its tiny niche if it doesn't change. Of course it'll be outsell the Japan only PS3 version but that's not to say it will outsell Valkyrie Chronicles 1 which had a much broader appeal even though it's only available on PS3, PS4 and pc.

Oct 27, 2017
Peru

I wouldn't be surprised if the Switch version alone sells better than the PS3 one.

Deleted member 11413

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm trying to say that this franchise never grow out of its tiny niche if it doesn't change. Of course it'll be outsell the Japan only PS3 version but that's not to say it will outsell Valkyrie Chronicles 1 which had a much broader appeal even though it's only available on PS3, PS4 and pc.
I mean it is by definition growing out of its niche by releasing in territories it didnt release in the first time.

Why are you comparing it to Valkyria Chronicles? Valkyria Chronicles sold better because it was a better game.

Mudo

Oct 25, 2017
Tennessee
Well I'm picking this up today but need to know if it's better on PS4 Pro vs Xbox One X or are both versions identical?

I know what i'm getting into here but still looking forward to it. And Media Vision making anything makes me buy it. I hope one day we get a new console Wild Arms from them!

AztecComplex

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I mean it is by definition growing out of its niche by releasing in territories it didnt release in the first time.

Why are you comparing it to Valkyria Chronicles? Valkyria Chronicles sold better because it was a better game.
Because VC is also an RPG from Sega with an anime aesthetic with a modest budget that was made with the japanese market in mind first, except they made a good game and sold a million+. That's what I wished Shining did beyond just having the decency of publishing the game outside of Japan.

Deleted member 11413

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Because VC is also an RPG from Sega with an anime aesthetic with a modest budget that was made with the japanese market in mind first, except they made a good game and sold a million+. That's what I wished Shining did beyond just having the decency of publishing the game outside of Japan.
Right, but your original criticisms were not focused on the quality of the actual game but rather on the aesthetics and prevalence of anime tropes. Yes if the game was better it would probably sell better. That's such an obvious statement I'm not sure why it even needs to be said.