• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 11413

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Well I'm picking this up today but need to know if it's better on PS4 Pro vs Xbox One X or are both versions identical?

I know what i'm getting into here but still looking forward to it. And Media Vision making anything makes me buy it. I hope one day we get a new console Wild Arms from them!
Pretty sure they are identical, since this game is just a remaster of a PS3 game there is only so much that could be done to it, really. Both are 60 FPS, neither are 4k iirc.

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
Damn! Shining Resonance is very expensive on brazilian Steam. I can buy Dragon Quest XI and half of Yazuka 0 for the price Sega is asking for this remaster.

Zafir

Oct 25, 2017
What's the overall opinion on this game? Are you guys enjoying it?
I think it's amusing enough so far, not ground breaking but yeah. Combat is pretty fun or well could be, though the AI is awful when it comes to moving out of the way of attacks as I mentioned on the previous page (to be fair Tales has had that problem too), enemy AI isn't always great either. Soundtrack is surprisingly decent. Story is kind of run of the mill I suppose, plus it decided to info-dump near the start of the game too which I don't really appreciate, like wait till I'm invested before you do that cos it just means I won't pay attention. Characters are a bit tropey but the scenes between then are kind of fun anyway. I can't really comment on the "social link" system too much, since I'm only like 6-7 hours in. I'm not even sure how the social link system works really, I read that your ending is determined by whomever is highest, but I dunno if you can romance everyone including the dudes, or what.
Damn! Shining Resonance is very expensive on brazilian Steam. I can buy Dragon Quest XI and half of Yazuka 0 for the price Sega is asking for this remaster.
Yeah people were complaining about that. If you wanted it you're better off buying it from a third party seller.

Mgs2master2

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I am enjoying this game but... I am confused about the bonds and how they work.
How can you tell what level bond Yuma has with his party members (on the individual level)? I see in Bond diagram the circles and links. However on a 1 to 1 level I am not sure if the game even tells you how it is measured or whatever the case is here.

hongcha

Oct 27, 2017
What's the difference in difficulty like between "casual" and "normal". Does normal just require a lot more grinding? Is casual brain-dead easy?

Tohsaka

Nov 17, 2017
What's the difference in difficulty like between "casual" and "normal". Does normal just require a lot more grinding? Is casual brain-dead easy?
I switched to Casual for a boss fight and there really wasn't much difference, I'm not sure what exactly changes since you can't see the HP or anything.

Wilsongt

Oct 25, 2017
Augh. As much as I dislike Tony Taka's art, the familiarity of it is nice and just makes me glad Sega decided to take a chance and bring a Shining title over again.

But I also just want to go back and play Shining Tears now.

Ryengeku

Oct 26, 2017
Georgia, US
I am enjoying this game but... I am confused about the bonds and how they work.
How can you tell what level bond Yuma has with his party members (on the individual level)? I see in Bond diagram the circles and links. However on a 1 to 1 level I am not sure if the game even tells you how it is measured or whatever the case is here.
Yeah, I was confused about the bond diagram as well. The game doesn't explain it to you so I had to google it.

Found https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/233332-shining-resonance-refrain/76794350 to be helpful.

Rean

Oct 27, 2017
got to first boss, lvl 5 party vs lvl 14 one shotting everyone with a good "fuck you go grind for an hour message"

its 2018 outside (2014 when game came out but still) and we are still stuck in this ancient relic mindset of mindless grind to progress.

everything is clunky, combat is awful, dialogue is straight from kindergarden...
play any other great jrpg that came out lately (tales of berseria, trails of cold steel, whatever) instead

AndrewDean84

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Fontana, California
got to first boss, lvl 5 party vs lvl 14 one shotting everyone with a good "fuck you go grind for an hour message"

its 2018 outside (2014 when game came out but still) and we are still stuck in this ancient relic mindset of mindless grind to progress.

everything is clunky, combat is awful, dialogue is straight from kindergarden...
play any other great jrpg that came out lately (tales of berseria, trails of cold steel, whatever) instead
I get mad when I can't grind in games.

Wilsongt

Oct 25, 2017
Just started Chapter 3.

The nods to the series is always nice. Force/Spark/Blaze/Hellblast/Heal

The musical aspect of it comes straight out of Tales of the Abyss and Eternal Sonata, tho...

Ryengeku

Oct 26, 2017
Georgia, US
Just started Chapter 3.

The nods to the series is always nice. Force/Spark/Blaze/Hellblast/Heal

The musical aspect of it comes straight out of Tales of the Abyss and Eternal Sonata, tho...
Tales of the Abyss did have an emphasis on music as special attacks, at least for Tear, but I'd say it is even more so with the Ar Tonelico series as well if you have played those games. They also have a special meter that fills up with attacks that allow your
Reyvateil to unleash a song magic attack.

Last edited:

Piggychan

Oct 25, 2017
got the steel case delivered, XB1X

rvHI76I.gif

CielTynave

Oct 25, 2017
I think I probably should have waited a few days or played through another game before starting this, not that it's bad but I literally just came off finishing Ys VIII last night so this is a bit of a step back lol.

Piggychan

Oct 25, 2017
Game opens up when other characters join and the further you are in to the story and I'm surprised more of game systems seem to unlock. I admit I wasn't too keen on a lot of things especially since the fighting and dialogue feels clumsy but it's growing on me.

2sTpHHO.gif

Ugh! I just got a quest to hunt and kill giant arachnids. I hate spiders!

Last edited:
OP
OP
Beartruck

Beartruck

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Did you have any aspects equipped? Those are critical.

Also is there a quest log in game? Can't seem to find it.

Last edited:

Zafir

Oct 25, 2017
christ this game is hard
The difficulty curve is just really, really bizarre.

The normal enemies near the start of the game are fine but the bosses are oddly difficult. Partially due to the AI being a bit rubbish at dodging attacks (most of the early bosses are big with slow wind-up attacks, so as the player you shouldn't have much trouble), the AI problem led me to actually soloing one of the bosses (Gae Bolg I think?) early on because I was sick of having to baby sit the AI so much. But also due to really odd design decisions too, the boss after that, the game decided to use it as a tutorial fight for a new party member - but forgot to make it a bit easier due to the fact you'd be playing with a character you're unfamiliar with. You might be able to swap back to Yuma despite that fact, admittedly I didn't bother trying since I did beat it anyway as intended.

Following that though, the game becomes really easy for quite some time. That is until around Chapter 5 I think I'm on - can't remember specifically, where the games deciding to spike in difficulty again.

Vylash

Oct 25, 2017
The difficulty curve is just really, really bizarre.

The normal enemies near the start of the game are fine but the bosses are oddly difficult. Partially due to the AI being a bit rubbish at dodging attacks (most of the early bosses are big with slow wind-up attacks, so as the player you shouldn't have much trouble), the AI problem led me to actually soloing one of the bosses (Gae Bolg I think?) early on because I was sick of having to baby sit the AI so much. But also due to really odd design decisions too, the boss after that, the game decided to use it as a tutorial fight for a new party member - but forgot to make it a bit easier due to the fact you'd be playing with a character you're unfamiliar with. You might be able to swap back to Yuma despite that fact, admittedly I didn't bother trying since I did beat it anyway as intended.

Following that though, the game becomes really easy for quite some time. That is until around Chapter 5 I think I'm on - can't remember specifically, where the games deciding to spike in difficulty again.
Yeah this is what I was referring to actually, I didn't have any issues with gae bolg but the next minute I'm getting absolutely bodied by a boss that should be at least a bit easier since it's essentially a tutorial fight, guess I'm gonna have to do some grinding or something

OP
OP
Beartruck

Beartruck

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Defeated the ice dragon, Gae Bolg (or "Gay Bulge" as I like to call him). Dude was a total pushover. Activated shining dragon with full MP, activated BAND session with full meter, spammed fireball, dead. My party was level 12-14 though, so maybe I was overleveled.

Manac0r

Oct 30, 2017
UK
I have been hype for Octopath traveller for weeks. I picked this up on Xbox X as had a spare gift card kicking about. And I'm hooked for some reason, my brain keeps telling me this isn't the most amazing JRPG out there yet I can't help but pick up the pad and put in a few hours...

Might be early days but really unexpected how much I'm enjoying this...

Piggychan

Oct 25, 2017
it feels like those quests the towns folk give you seem to repeat themselves again and again once you turn them in and sleep a couple of times.. ;/

devSin

Oct 27, 2017
Is it an actual gay option or a best bros path?
From what I can tell, it's not explicitly gay.

But if you "date" one of the guys and choose them at the end, the character ending sequence is really, really gay. (They never come out and say "we're gay"... but they totally are.)

Maybe the localization team played up that aspect in the English version.

Piggychan

Oct 25, 2017
I think it will end up as best bros path as during that date;

Agnum started asking Yuma about what kind of girls he liked, Yuma felt awkward and didn't know how to answer and returned the question back to Agnum who became uncomfortable revealing that he never dated any girls at all and didn't know how.... and then it ended. Agnum now doesn't want to talk to Yuma and needs time to reassess his life. :/.

That's how it came across. *shrugs*

CielTynave

Oct 25, 2017
Is that item that warps you back to town really the only fast travel option in the game? That's probably my biggest issue with the game so far...

Piggychan

Oct 25, 2017
I think for those struggling it might be best to have two characters who can heal in your party such as Kirika and Rinna.

I noticed with just using Kirika it's quite demanding being the support on your own.

DVCY201

Oct 25, 2017
I've had a rough time with every boss so far, just past Gae Bolg. I practically have to solo them, and play keep away, haha. Is there an easy way to get materials for Aspects? I feel like I'm sorely lacking in buffing my party.

CielTynave

Oct 25, 2017
Oooh, just unlocked the dungeons. Hopefully this should have me playing for a bit longer each time. Are they randomly generated? The layout certainly makes it feel like it is, but then again you could have said the same about Tokyo Xanadu lol...

OP
OP
Beartruck

Beartruck

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I've had a rough time with every boss so far, just past Gae Bolg. I practically have to solo them, and play keep away, haha. Is there an easy way to get materials for Aspects? I feel like I'm sorely lacking in buffing my party.
Grind for the monster parts or, if you have enough cash, buy them from the item shop. Since the AI is so bad at dodging, I'd put hp up and Def up on characters you're letting the AI control.

Mbolibombo

Oct 29, 2017
I sort of enjoyed the demo on the Switch e-shop.. I dont know how long it was, maybe 20 minutes? but the dialogue was like 60% of the time,... is the entire game like that as well?

OP
OP
Beartruck

Beartruck

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I sort of enjoyed the demo on the Switch e-shop.. I dont know how long it was, maybe 20 minutes? but the dialogue was like 60% of the time,... is the entire game like that as well?
The demo is literally the start of the game so it is front loaded with dialogue. That said, the game has lots of optional skits and talking scenes outside of battle.

DarkPrince

Dec 2, 2017
Is there anyway to switch characters in the main world areas? I want the main person to be Sonia but it always makes Yuma the main person

Zafir

Oct 25, 2017
Is there anyway to switch characters in the main world areas? I want the main person to be Sonia but it always makes Yuma the main person
On the triangle,x or y menu under party you can change who you're controlling from it at any point, even in combat. Just drag the person you want to control into the leader spot. As for swapping people into your party, you can do it on the same screen but you have to be out of combat - if you're in combat and want to change the party (ie because the game forces a party you don't like) then you'll need to let yourself die and press continue which will give you the option to mess with your party before going back into the fight again.