• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Sp1

Alt Account
Banned
Feb 19, 2018
TEW1 and 2 were both underwhelming for different reasons and the former is probably the worst Mikami-directed game. It didn't surprise me when in an interview he said that in reality he wanted to do completely different things with his studio.

Time to move on please. At this point he's best directing/producing fresh new IPs like Godhand and Vanquish, from a quality perspective (even if not sales-wise).

ArjanN

Oct 25, 2017
Boourns at some of the bad Evil Within takes in this thread. They were both good horror games with slightly different strengths and weaknesses.

I'd definitely take Evil Within 3 or a standalone expansion, like they did for Prey/Dishonored/Wolfenstein.

Honestly EW2 left the story off in a pretty decent place even if there were some clear sequel hooks.

medyej

Oct 26, 2017
TEW2 was better for having lesser shooting mechanics because it's a survival horror game. TEW1 had so much going on with all the different weapon types, traps and matches that it was a mess and not to mention the level design.

Survival horror doesn't mean turning your game into a bad stealth game like most of the genre has devolved into. I will never understand how people expect to have tension and scares in a game where you are basically the predator, crouched behind half walls watching janky patrol animations of the enemies for hours throughout the game.

Mikami understood this which is why TEW1 was a much more intense and memorable experience.

NightShift

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
Survival horror doesn't mean turning your game into a bad stealth game like most of the genre has devolved into. I will never understand how people expect to have tension and scares in a game where you are basically the predator, crouched behind half walls watching janky patrol animations of the enemies for hours throughout the game.

Mikami understood this which is why TEW1 was a much more intense and memorable experience.
I specifically mentioned the shooting, I didn't say a thing about stealth. To me that doesn't make a good survival horror game either but what does is weighty weapons and a limited inventory where a lot of the fights leave you feeling like you were just surviving which TEW2 also provides.

TEW1 gives you too much supplies and is too linear to give you that feeling. Which would be fine if it was a pure action game and didn't insist on being the "return of survival horror" the marketing promised. Also TEW1's stealth was WAY worse what are you talking about?

medyej

Oct 26, 2017
I specifically mentioned the shooting, I didn't say a thing about stealth. To me that doesn't make a good survival horror game either but what does is weighty weapons and a limited inventory where a lot of the fights leave you feeling like you were just surviving which TEW2 also provides.

TEW1 gives you too much supplies and is too linear to give you that feeling. Which would be fine if it was a pure action game and didn't insist on being the "return of survival horror" the marketing promised. Also TEW1's stealth was WAY worse what are you talking about?

That's kind of my point, the existence of a real stealth system means the game is going to turn into a stealth game because resources are limited so players are naturally going to conserve as much as possible. TEW1 made it so getting into fights was unavoidable, and you would inevitably end up being chased by hordes of enemies while frantically trying to craft traps and scrounge a few bullets to stay alive. TEW2 lacked that feeling entirely by having a real stealth system that gave the player total control of the fight.

jerk

Nov 6, 2017
I think peeps who didn't like the first one found the sequel to be better and vice versa.

imo a lot of the unique vision was sacrificed in TEW2 with enemies being rather uninspiring and more inclusion of padding in the second half.
Honestly TEW2 made me more appreciate the first one even more. I think the semi open world design was pulling its punches and hopefully an TEW3 that combines the freedom of the sequel and the vision of the original into one would be pretty great.
I think the first game fell flat with me for a few reasons, mostly an unfortunate death early on that annoyed me bc I had spent 40 minutes combing the area for items and had to redo it (which i typically dislike a lot in games)
I also was not a fan of the narrative. Didn't like randomly teleporting all the time and everything being dream like. Which to be fair is the swerve, but I didn't care about anything happening so it fell flat.

So for the second one at least I go in knowing you're going into a matrix world so I'm not hoping for the physical locations to make sense or know where I'm going with point a to b. It was a nice surprise to see that actually be the case despite being a matrix world!

I do want them to bring back the match mechanic, I liked that quite a bit from the first one. I'll play it again sometime and see if I like it better now that some time has passed and I won't be disappointed by the nonsensical progression.

BadWolf

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's one of those games I've had my eye on forever...always "the next thing maybe".

What's the best way to play right now on consoles? PS3 download? I only have a DS4 controller right now and wondering if that'd work here.

Not sure if true but I remember someone mentioning that the DS4 doesn't work for PS2 games on PS3. You may want to google around to confirm.

PC emulation is also an option, you can use the DS4 for it too.

ABK281

Apr 5, 2018
TEW2 was better for having lesser shooting mechanics because it's a survival horror game. TEW1 had so much going on with all the different weapon types, traps and matches that it was a mess and not to mention the level design.
It has less shooting in it because you just comically sneak behind zombies and stab them in the head over and over again. Zombie aggros on you, just do a mild sprint away from them until they turn their back to you so you can stab them in the back. Rinse and repeat.

Stealth in the evil within 2 is like that one stealth section in (insert game here that is not actually a stealth game). The entire game is that one section where they wanted to have a stealth section in the game, but it isn't that kind of game so they make it as on rails and easy as possible so everybody can pass it without issue. Any idiot on the planet can stealth their way through the entire game with little trouble, except for the boss fights and the few forced action sequences.

The biggest issue with this is your chosen difficulty is basically for the few forced shooting sections in the game. If you're playing on an easy difficulty you may just be able to shoot your way through the entire game, I don't know. I played on the hardest difficulty so I was forced to stealth through the majority of the game because of how limited your ammo is no matter how well you conserve it on that difficulty.

And goddamn does the game play like garbage even at 60fps on the pc. I never enjoyed the feeling of shooting at any point. So if the game isn't scary, the shooting isn't fun or engaging, the stealth is boring and easy, what good can I possibly say about the game?

Host Samurai

Oct 27, 2017
It has less shooting in it because you just comically sneak behind zombies and stab them in the head over and over again. Zombie aggros on you, just do a mild sprint away from them until they turn their back to you so you can stab them in the back. Rinse and repeat.

Stealth in the evil within 2 is like that one stealth section in (insert game here that is not actually a stealth game). The entire game is that one section where they wanted to have a stealth section in the game, but it isn't that kind of game so they make it as on rails and easy as possible so everybody can pass it without issue. Any idiot on the planet can stealth their way through the entire game with little trouble, except for the boss fights and the few forced action sequences.

The biggest issue with this is your chosen difficulty is basically for the few forced shooting sections in the game. If you're playing on an easy difficulty you may just be able to shoot your way through the entire game, I don't know. I played on the hardest difficulty so I was forced to stealth through the majority of the game because of how limited your ammo is no matter how well you conserve it on that difficulty.

And goddamn does the game play like garbage even at 60fps on the pc. I never enjoyed the feeling of shooting at any point. So if the game isn't scary, the shooting isn't fun or engaging, the stealth is boring and easy, what good can I possibly say about the game?

Agreed. The last boss on hard with no ammo left, despite dropping all my resources into my shooting and guns, is not fun at all. I was punished for playing the game a certain way. It's such a pain in the ass trying to shoot something in that game. I felt like I wasted all my slime points. For reference, I was poppin head shots on hard by the end of TEW1's hard difficulty with ease.

NightShift

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
That's kind of my point, the existence of a real stealth system means the game is going to turn into a stealth game because resources are limited so players are naturally going to conserve as much as possible. TEW1 made it so getting into fights was unavoidable, and you would inevitably end up being chased by hordes of enemies while frantically trying to craft traps and scrounge a few bullets to stay alive. TEW2 lacked that feeling entirely by having a real stealth system that gave the player total control of the fight.

Why did you two play it like a stealth game than if you weren't enjoying it? The game gives you the option to play it more aggressively and I felt like that is what it was balanced around because I still had enough supplies. Although I think I changed the settings so that stealth was harder, that may have been it. I always play on normal difficulty too.

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017
Evil Within 3, please. The first two games are among the greatest survival horror games ever. First game was freaky as hell, and the second was surprisingly tender and emotional.

Love Machine

Oct 29, 2017
Tokyo, Japan
I can sympathise with EW fans, but would really love to see Mikami do something fresh and original, like he did with Clover and Platinum back in the day.
It doesn't feel like Tango has done anything special yet, and I'd love to see them release something crazy-cool with awesome gameplay, even if it's a little niche due to off-the-wall content or high level of challenge.

And I'm not talking about shock value or horror aesthetic. I'm talking God Hand crazy or Vanquish cool.
To see something on the same creative level this gen would be a blessing.

Zacmortar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Frankly, I love the survival horror genre and the series has been nothing but a disappointment. The 1st game was competent but had some terrible design decisions and was overall a disappointment. The 2nd game was just plain terrible, probably somewhat related to the fact that Mikami didn't direct it himself.

I'd really like him to just work on something else, even if it isn't in the survival horror genre.
Man, this is the first Era bubble Ive ever seen so obvious

EW2 is one of the most creative and interesting horror games in years lol

Oct 27, 2017
Evil Within 3, please. The first two games are among the greatest survival horror games ever. First game was freaky as hell, and the second was surprisingly tender and emotional.

This. Don't get the hot takes about the series here. TEW 1&2 is among the best games of this gen IMO. Replayed both games about a dozen times each and will do at least 3 more before the end of the year

OP
OP
Ryuichi Naruhodo
Oct 25, 2017
What I predict here , Is that Mikami will announce a New IP along with an expansion for TEW2

Ideally I want a New IP plus TEW3 with one being released soon and the other in early phases , but that is too much overoptimistic

Trejo

Oct 25, 2017
The Evil Within 3 where you play as Kidman and you have to reunite with Joseph to take down Ruvik, please. Also, leave Sebastian out. His story is done.

Neoraxis

Nov 27, 2017
I'm happy with anything directed by mikami, also if i'm not mistaken he wasn't involved with TEW2 a lot so he might be cooking something for a while now

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
This is a win/win for me. It's either TEW3, or some cool new Mikami goodness.
I'm happy with anything directed by mikami, also if i'm not mistaken he wasn't involved with TEW2 a lot so he might be cooking something for a while now
A lot of the key staff from TEW1 were absent from TEW2, and Tango was hiring for a ton of positions, so whatever it is has been cooking for a while.