• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Lardonate

Oct 25, 2017
Ohhhh, that is glorious. That's literally the opposite end of the country to me (South coast!), but if I ever find myself in that neck of the woods I'll be sure to check it out, thanks!

Yeah I'm on the South Coast too (South West) and wish there was stuff closer to me. The Heart of Gaming in Croydon usually has a few shmups on, and theres an arcade in Southend called Astro City that has a few Candy cabs with the odd shmup on apparently. Not been to Astro City and only to Heart of Gaming in it's older, smaller location. They're moving again soon to something more London central apparently tho.

Eolz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
FR
Arcade Club is pretty nice yeah.
There's also an arcade bar that opened in Glasgow recently I believe.

Last edited:

deadpixels

Oct 30, 2017
Newark, Delaware
Hoping to get some time to dive back into this little gem in the very near future.
20228604_10214107430903753_1613578273363826707_n.jpg

Deleted member 13560

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So far for upcoming (soon) releases on the PC side of things:
Blue Revolver: Black Label
Touhou: HSiFS
Astebreed: Definitive Edition
Game Tengoku CruisinMix

Anything else coming around the corner??

Deleted member 1162

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So far for upcoming (soon) releases on the PC side of things:
Blue Revolver: Black Label
Touhou: HSiFS
Astebreed: Definitive Edition
Game Tengoku CruisinMix

Anything else coming around the corner??
hey! good to see you on ERA, i was looking for you on discord to see if ppl wanted to start a shmup discord since i seen a few of them on the retro discord.. i saw Smite of Hand, Some-Mist, and Yes Boss! but didn't see you in any of the discords i was in. nice that you're back =)

Agent Unknown

Oct 26, 2017
Great to see the shmups thread back in business!

Got a mint copy of Star Parodier for PCE about a month ago, probably my favorite comical shooter ever:

EnfQ3LP.jpg

zdvSOGS.jpg

qBjKi38.jpg

Cl5OMYh.jpg

jEa64Od.jpg

263IpEP.jpg

Qrd3aQD.jpg

Last edited:

LeadenStride

Oct 25, 2017
<3 deathsmiles

it's very deceiving though. for such a easy going game, I still haven't wanted to take the time to sit down and memorize the scoring system
especially since there isn't anything very detailed on what to kill each mob with which shot for max value
It's really satisfying once you get the hang of it though. To me, the key was to let the large items break down into smaller ones when powered up.

For the enemies and choosing the best attack, just watch a video with a high score and try to memorize how its done if you don't want to experiment for yourself.

MoeGamer

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Southampton, UK
I recently came into possession of all the old Atari computers I had when I was growing up, and have been revisiting some old games. Did anyone play DMA Design's old shmups Menace and Blood Money on the ST/Amiga? I enjoy both of those a lot, though nearly 30 years later I still can't beat the first boss in Menace reliably.

Lardonate

Oct 25, 2017
I recently came into possession of all the old Atari computers I had when I was growing up, and have been revisiting some old games. Did anyone play DMA Design's old shmups Menace and Blood Money on the ST/Amiga? I enjoy both of those a lot, though nearly 30 years later I still can't beat the first boss in Menace reliably.

I remember Blood Money and Menace from the mags at the time but I never got round to playing them, had an Amiga myself, coming after a Spectrum. I played X-Out and Battle Squadron a lot. The R-Type conversion was pretty decent for the time too, was ported by Factor 5. I got a working Amiga again last year but most of my old discs don't work anymore after being stored in a damp basement for 20-odd years. Booh!

MoeGamer

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Southampton, UK
I remember Blood Money and Menace from the mags at the time but I never got round to playing them, had an Amiga myself, coming after a Spectrum. I played X-Out and Battle Squadron a lot. The R-Type conversion was pretty decent for the time too, was ported by Factor 5. I got a working Amiga again last year but most of my old discs don't work anymore after being stored in a damp basement for 20-odd years. Booh!
Yeah, I remember the R-type port for the Amiga in particular being highly praised. The ST version was solid but lost out a bit in terms of graphical and sonic fanciness, as I recall. 'Twas ever thus!

Friend of mine was obsessed with Battle Squadron at university. Every time he got drunk he'd make me boot up an emulated version so he could have a blast. :)

Oct 27, 2017
So I love how PSN yen works (lol). I still have 608 yen leftover from Garegga/Feveron, and Mahou Daisakusen is releasing for 3700. Of course the only yen card options were 1000, 3000, and 5000 so I opted into the 5000. I know I can save the yen for ketsui if I wanted to buy it a 3rd time (I might) but what are some worthwhile titles I can nab? I was thinking darius or ghost blade.

It's really satisfying once you get the hang of it though. To me, the key was to let the large items break down into smaller ones when powered up.

For the enemies and choosing the best attack, just watch a video with a high score and try to memorize how its done if you don't want to experiment for yourself.
Yea that's the thing. I largely prefer to craft my own runs and don't like using superplays or save states to progress. I know that's the fastest way to improve especially if going for WR runs (I'm definitely not), but I find it a lot more satisfying when I can set high scores without trying to copy someone. Though it might not be a bad idea just to wrap my mind around which enemies require which bullets for the biggest payout, and then freeballing it from there.

So that's sorta left DS as a game to play for a fun 1CC until I muster up the courage to sink some time into it. When it's time, mega black label all the way :)

MoeGamer

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Southampton, UK
So I love how PSN yen works (lol). I still have 608 yen leftover from Garegga/Feveron, and Mahou Daisakusen is releasing for 3700. Of course the only yen card options were 1000, 3000, and 5000 so I opted into the 5000. I know I can save the yen for ketsui if I wanted to buy it a 3rd time (I might) but what are some worthwhile titles I can nab? I was thinking darius or ghost blade.

Yea that's the thing. I largely prefer to craft my own runs and don't like using superplays or save states to progress. I know that's the fastest way to improve especially if going for WR runs (I'm definitely not), but I find it a lot more satisfying when I can set high scores without trying to copy someone. It's also why I'm not a huge daioujou or ikaruga fan, which have rigid scoring paths for optimizing score. So that's sorta left DS as a game to play for a fun 1CC until I work up the courage to sink some time into it. When it's time, mega black label all the way :)
Darius and Ghost Blade are both a good time, I've written about them both if you want some more detailed thoughts:
https://moegamer.net/2017/07/27/shmup-essentials-ghost-blade-hd/
https://moegamer.net/2017/04/02/shmup-essentials-dariusburst-chronicle-saviours/

Of the two Darius is probably "better", although they're both quite different types of shmup and are both very enjoyable. Ghost Blade has a killer soundtrack. Darius has an incredibly weird soundtrack, but you probably expected that given its pedigree.

Oct 27, 2017
Darius and Ghost Blade are both a good time, I've written about them both if you want some more detailed thoughts:
https://moegamer.net/2017/04/02/shmup-essentials-dariusburst-chronicle-saviours/

Of the two Darius is probably "better", although they're both quite different types of shmup and are both very enjoyable. Ghost Blade has a killer soundtrack. Darius has an incredibly weird soundtrack, but you probably expected that given its pedigree.
awesome! I will check out the ghost blade review, but I do have dariusburst chronicle saviours already. I was moreso referring to the arcade archives darius. I'm not sure if it was updated or not after that anniversary release? But it's not in my PS4 collection yet

LeadenStride

Oct 25, 2017
Yea that's the thing. I largely prefer to craft my own runs and don't like using superplays or save states to progress. I know that's the fastest way to improve especially if going for WR runs (I'm definitely not), but I find it a lot more satisfying when I can set high scores without trying to copy someone. Though it might not be a bad idea just to wrap my mind around which enemies require which bullets for the biggest payout, and then freeballing it from there.

So that's sorta left DS as a game to play for a fun 1CC until I muster up the courage to sink some time into it. When it's time, mega black label all the way :)
I definitely see what you mean. I don't like copying other players either, but it helps realizing how to handle some specific situations that would not necessarily open up intuitively. Deathsmiles especially doesn't require copying, as chaining is not a factor like in most Cave games.

And yeah, once you wrap your head around scoring, MBL is a treat. It's not rare that the whole screen is filled with score items. Back when I played DS extensively I made it second on the European leaderboard which just basically happened by accident after grinding that mode, without looking up other peoples' plays. Can't remember the specific settings off the bat though.

Deleted member 9305

Oct 26, 2017
Edelweiss posted a video showing off the Astebreed v3.0 changes:

Deleted member 19813

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I'm currently buying pretty much every SHMUP I find on Steam. I was hoping to create a directory, but I was directed here. Hello, everyone; I'm a SMHUP fan. I just sold off all my physical games for consoles, but am satisfied with what I'm finding on Steam. I look forward to hanging out here.

Oct 27, 2017
More expensive than I thought, but dual mode was fun for the 1cc. Loving the crossover into dimahoo especially at the end of the game boss fights, and arcade mode is solid.

Oct 27, 2017
Characters like miyamoto and gain who you'd also find in dimahoo, battle garegga, armed police batrider originated here. The endgame setup in dimahoo is almost identical to sorcer striker. Admittedly I've only seen the end of dimahoo a handful of 1CC attempts, but I haven't played through sorcer striker before and I got really excited when you end up in a stadium/colesium. They even reuse some of the bosses. Most of which carry over into the bat trilogy too.

It feels like they took a bunch of ideas and built on them in dimahoo (with polarity mechanics that predate ikaruga of course). Makes me hope they plan on releasing a dimahoo port

Agent Unknown

Oct 26, 2017
Characters like miyamoto and gain who you'd also find in dimahoo, battle garegga, armed police batrider originated here. The endgame setup in dimahoo is almost identical to sorcer striker. Admittedly I've only seen the end of dimahoo a handful of 1CC attempts, but I haven't played through sorcer striker before and I got really excited when you end up in a stadium/colesium. They even reuse some of the bosses. Most of which carry over into the bat trilogy too.

It feels like they took a bunch of ideas and built on them in dimahoo (with polarity mechanics that predate ikaruga of course). Makes me hope they plan on releasing a dimahoo port

I know all about the series' history but for some reason misread your bit about "crossover into Dimahoo" and thought there might be actual bonus content of some kind from Dimahoo added in (the fact one could even remotely consider that just goes to show how awesome M2 is).

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
yeah I wasn't as clear as I should have been.

although I was super tired, I was having a blast last night. now just to get a functioning arcade stick for my ps4 so I can work on some runs :>

if they secretly hid a dimahoo port in there I would lose my mind.

Htown

Oct 25, 2017
what game is the thread title from? I know I've seen that phrase before but I just can't place it.

Oct 27, 2017
it's was the warning screen on some CAVE games (I know dodonpachi, uo poko, and possibly mushihimesama being some?)
Ddp-jp-title.png

the french daioujou player prometheus also named his stg guide that so you might've seen it there too

SoH

Oct 25, 2017
The assumption being, if not obvious, it is a mistranslation of the best kind.

It should be 'law'

Agent Unknown

Oct 26, 2017
was just reading a mangled japanese to english auto translation of an interview with the m2 developers below.

https://game.watch.impress.co.jp/docs/interview/1089519.html

take a look at the last photo where they mention a second part to the interview incoming as well as "new information of M2STG may be released!". that has to be a switch he is holding right? what else could it be?

Wow. The temptation to double dip on at least one or two ShotTrigger titles on Switch would be intense. Table top TATE with Strikers 1945 on Switch is beautiful.

InfiniteKing

Oct 26, 2017
I've been playing a lot of shmups lately it's probably my favorite genre ever. There's just so much good stuff to play everyday now. I hope to 1 clear something maybe.

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Yeah I'm on the South Coast too (South West) and wish there was stuff closer to me. The Heart of Gaming in Croydon usually has a few shmups on, and theres an arcade in Southend called Astro City that has a few Candy cabs with the odd shmup on apparently. Not been to Astro City and only to Heart of Gaming in it's older, smaller location. They're moving again soon to something more London central apparently tho.

Arcade Club is pretty nice yeah.
There's also an arcade bar that opened in Glasgow recently I believe.

Heart of Gaming is up and running at the Whitgift Centre in East Croydon. They have a few TATE cabs, although I mainly go to play their ledge Versus City setups that have the ultimate fighters - Alpha2, 2X and 3S.

Konbo in Edinburgh sounds like a lovely place and they are having a STG weekend on 9th and 10th of December.

http://www.konbo.co.uk/

StarCreator

Oct 25, 2017
Just wrapped a meet at my place. We managed to stick to a theme, for a little while.

gMni2Kp.jpg

Left: Kingdom Grand Prix (Saturn)
Right: Mahou Daisakusen (PS4)

Wachenroder

Oct 29, 2017
really nice setup right there. I'm still trying to get a more suitable TATE setup. Right now I just have 20 inch PVM TATEd but there is something I find irksome about having a monitor just turned to its side. Like it needs something....like extra casing or something.....idk

btw Kingdom Grand Prix is so good

Lardonate

Oct 25, 2017
Heart of Gaming is up and running at the Whitgift Centre in East Croydon. They have a few TATE cabs, although I mainly go to play their ledge Versus City setups that have the ultimate fighters - Alpha2, 2X and 3S.

Konbo in Edinburgh sounds like a lovely place and they are having a STG weekend on 9th and 10th of December.

http://www.konbo.co.uk/

Yeah the Versus Citys are always a nice sight to see, they have a similar setup at arcade club too but I think they were using it as a different game on each side rather than for actual Versus games. It's great to see all these 90's cabs being imported, but on the flipside pretty sad as Japan is chucking em out fast at the moment as their arcades are sadly on the decline it seems.

It's a shame that Konbo place is so very far away from me, I'm sure I'd be there all the time. Just have to get some Astro Citys and set up myself!

Did find another interesting looking arcade, similar kind of distance away from me. In the Netherlands called RETROPLANET, seems to have a few shmups on their list, but mostly normal arcade fare. But I do love a jaunt to a good arcade so I shall have to check it out sometime soon.

ShinJohnpv

Oct 25, 2017
Going to ask this here as well as shmups forum.

I just recently got Raiden Project for the Playstation, this is a US version. In looking online I could find a code for a product called the PS X-Change, to access true tate mode on it. I don't have one of those, but I do have a gameshark. I haven't been able to find any thing, but does anyone know of any gameshark codes to enable the true tate mode? Are these kind of codes semi universal? Like can I use the PS X-Change code with my gameshark?

Thanks for any help!

Deleted member 25870

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Going to ask this here as well as shmups forum.

I just recently got Raiden Project for the Playstation, this is a US version. In looking online I could find a code for a product called the PS X-Change, to access true tate mode on it. I don't have one of those, but I do have a gameshark. I haven't been able to find any thing, but does anyone know of any gameshark codes to enable the true tate mode? Are these kind of codes semi universal? Like can I use the PS X-Change code with my gameshark?

Thanks for any help!
This thread on shmups indicates that the code should work with the Gameshark.

Edit: Oh and the code is located in that thread as well.

ShinJohnpv

Oct 25, 2017
Ahh damn I missed that comment in the thread that the same code should work for gameshark. I don't know how I missed that.