• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

1upsuper

Jan 30, 2018
Blue Revolver is certainly a looker but it definitely didn't grab me like ZeroRanger did pretty much instantly. I'm waiting for the big update (is it still happening?) before giving BR another shot.

I feel like I've spent a decade waiting for a danmaku to really resonate with me but I'm still waiting.

Credo

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks, everyone, for the recommendations. I guess I should've added that I'm godawful at shmups with too much action going on, so I try to avoid bullet hell or anything like it. My favorites were Gradius, R-Type, and Darius. I owned Dariusburst and Crimson Clover already. Looking at ZeroRanger, I think it's one I might like. Watching the video of Eschatos, it doesn't seem too busy but then some of the screens have a truckload of bullets, so I'm not sure.

Deleted member 1849

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
ZeroRanger has gone straight onto my GOTY list.

Blue Revolver is certainly a looker but it definitely didn't grab me like ZeroRanger did pretty much instantly. I'm waiting for the big update (is it still happening?) before giving BR another shot.

I feel like I've spent a decade waiting for a danmaku to really resonate with me but I'm still waiting.
Double Action is still happening as far as we know, it's just ridiculously delayed.

I think Blue Revolver was far more deserving of the knicker-wetting this has been getting from the old guard.
I'm enjoying ZeroRanger but also finding it a bit dry and boring. I reckon a couple of extra scoring mechanics would have made replaying the levels a lot more interesting.

Amazing art style and I love the restless nature of the stage design, but I feel like it could be a lot more fun to play.

I shilled Blue Revolver pretty hard too! They are both great games.

Last edited:

TheOneJat

Oct 1, 2018
Steel Dragon Ex just got traded in to my local store. Never heard much about it - opinions please folks?

Fancolours

Oct 25, 2017
Game Tengoku is way harder than I anticipated, ship hitbox are way bigger than I'm used to.

Loving it so far, maybe I'll get the DLC characters too.

Deleted member 13560

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Man.. I'm playing more of ZeroRanger and it is coming off as being one of the greats. It's in my top 5 of all time for shoot'em ups. Such genius design.

Deleted member 34711

Banned
Nov 28, 2017
It's a rock solid shmup, and then you get to the end of the first loop and into the second - blew me out of the water. Credit feed if you have to, see it through to the end. Incredible.

Unseen

Oct 28, 2017
Thanks, everyone, for the recommendations. I guess I should've added that I'm godawful at shmups with too much action going on, so I try to avoid bullet hell or anything like it. My favorites were Gradius, R-Type, and Darius. I owned Dariusburst and Crimson Clover already. Looking at ZeroRanger, I think it's one I might like. Watching the video of Eschatos, it doesn't seem too busy but then some of the screens have a truckload of bullets, so I'm not sure.
Both games are examples of the pleasent trend of shumps still providing demos! Grab em from the Eschatos Steam page and ZeroRanger's website, https://se-made.com/zeroranger.html

Deleted member 9305

Oct 26, 2017
I beat the first loop but can't remember anything exciting happening.
Are you sure you have beaten the first loop? Has your title screen ever changed?
The second loop is the actual home stretch, everything gets turned to 11 and it's really something else.

clippa

Apr 18, 2018
It's definitely more interesting, but it should be like that from the start. If you're playing for score you have to slog your way through the entire game before you get there and there's no fun scoring mechanics or hyper button to keep that interesting, you're just chaining enemies when the game remembers to put them on screen.
I don't mean to be a mardy tart, but I really think this is getting a lot more praise than it deserves. It's probably just me.

clippa

Apr 18, 2018
I'm starting to think I might just be a miserable git.
I'm rolling my eyes at the references rather than squeaking with delight.
I hate any sort of cool meta stuff in gaming too, I just get visions of the devs looking all smug and pleased with themselves.

Those little cutscenes I have to keep holding down a button to skip, I don't want to see them once, never mind every time I play, loads of bloody words I have to keep jabbing the shoot button to make go away. I wanna shoot spacemen, not read bollocks!

I was having more fun playing it today, it's growing on me a bit, but man, the game needs a serious kick up the arse, it's far too laid back in that first loop.

1upsuper

Jan 30, 2018
I'm starting to think I might just be a miserable git.
I'm rolling my eyes at the references rather than squeaking with delight.
I hate any sort of cool meta stuff in gaming too, I just get visions of the devs looking all smug and pleased with themselves.

Those little cutscenes I have to keep holding down a button to skip, I don't want to see them once, never mind every time I play, loads of bloody words I have to keep jabbing the shoot button to make go away. I wanna shoot spacemen, not read bollocks!

I was having more fun playing it today, it's growing on me a bit, but man, the game needs a serious kick up the arse, it's far too laid back in that first loop.
I don't like when games lean on references in a memetic sense. But I see ZeroRanger as this stunning love letter to a genre that has been on life support for years (ports notwithstanding). It's both a bombastic fresh take with some meta aspects rarely seen in the genre as well as a sort of shmup hall of fame with references and mechanics borrowed from many of the best classic shmups. I hope that you don't take this as an insult but I don't think ZR is a game that can appeal to cynical people. It's such a heartfelt celebration of a genre in desperate need of just that. That's why ZR resonates so profoundly with the fanbase.

As for the gameplay itself, I cannot fathom thinking the first loop is too laid back. It's constantly introducing new ideas and new directions -- literally. Then the second loop amps it up even further. I'm not sure I've seen a shmup this explosive with new ideas in a constant stream since RefleX or Judgment Silversword.

clippa

Apr 18, 2018
The DoDonPachi tank layout at the start of Blue Revolver felt like a subtle knowing wink between friends.
Stewart Lee dropping in a Fall reference during a set.

The hideously bloated orange wonderwitch from this feels more like a brasshanded observational comic dancing on a table "Do you remember waaaaaaafers?"

That crowbarred undertale boss, surely you said "Oh, do fuck off" when that came up.

I'm not usually this cynical. I love shooting aliens, it's my favourite thing to do.
It's probably just that I've seen so many people proclaiming it to be the best shmup ever made and I feel like I'm missing out because I'm just not feeling it that hard, though it is growing on me, maybe I just need to play more.

Deleted member 2620

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
debating between sticking with my usual never-1cc business or just credit feeding this to see what people are talking about

1upsuper

Jan 30, 2018
Got a stupid question. Is Radiant Silvergun worth getting a 360 pretty much entirely for that game? I am a HUGE Treasure fan and it's pretty much their last big game I haven't played. I am not a Cave fan so I wouldn't really be interested in getting the danmakus that came out for the platform. I would really just be getting the system for RS. I never do this but with 360s as cheap as they are, I'm honestly tempted.
The DoDonPachi tank layout at the start of Blue Revolver felt like a subtle knowing wink between friends.
Stewart Lee dropping in a Fall reference during a set.

The hideously bloated orange wonderwitch from this feels more like a brasshanded observational comic dancing on a table "Do you remember waaaaaaafers?"

That crowbarred undertale boss, surely you said "Oh, do fuck off" when that came up.

I'm not usually this cynical. I love shooting aliens, it's my favourite thing to do.
It's probably just that I've seen so many people proclaiming it to be the best shmup ever made and I feel like I'm missing out because I'm just not feeling it that hard, though it is growing on me, maybe I just need to play more.
ZeroRanger spoilers
No, I didn't think "fuck off" with the Undertale homage fight. It was one of six mini bosses in a balls to the wall boss rush. I thought it was cute. On the nose? Extremely. But ZR managed to make it work because the game is such an unapologetic love letter to the things that inspired it. Different strokes for different folks. I understand the feeling of not getting what everyone else is in love with. For example, I thought The Witcher 3 was terrible. Sometimes the latest darling works for you and sometimes it doesn't.

Last edited:

Deleted member 9305

Oct 26, 2017
debating between sticking with my usual never-1cc business or just credit feeding this to see what people are talking about
Yeah, I'd even go so far and say the game was designed to be credit fed for the first play through. ZeroRanger even gambles with the player in that regard. Depending on certain choices, events will take place. You might see ending credits at some point even though not being remotely close to the full clear. There's another thing supporting my theory: the whole game switches to a pure arcade mode after the story was completed once. The story distractions are dialed back then and everything becomes more linear. That's when you score chase and 1CC.

Last edited:

Deleted member 2620

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Got a stupid question. Is Radiant Silvergun worth getting a 360 pretty much entirely for that game? I am a HUGE Treasure fan and it's pretty much their last big game I haven't played. I am not a Cave fan so I wouldn't really be interested in getting the danmakus that came out for the platform. I would really just be getting the system for RS. I never do this but with 360s as cheap as they are, I'm honestly tempted.

It might be. I'm not crazy about how RS makes you chain but it is novel and gorgeous and if the scoring system clicks I could see how someone would enjoy it more than Ikaruga. If you don't have Under Defeat on PS3 that's another not-too-danmaku game that might be worth checking out? Same with Omega Five, but that one's a genuine exclusive I think.

Yeah, I'd even go so far and say the game was designed to be credit fed for the first play through. ZeroRanger even gambles with the player in that regard. Depending on certain choices, events will take place. You might see ending credits at some point even though not being remotely close to the full clear. There's another thing supporting my theory: the whole game switches to a pure arcade mode after the story was completed once. The story distractions are dialed back then and everything becomes more linear. That's when you score chase and 1CC.

Cool, thanks! I kinda suspected that might be the case. I'll probably do that tonight, then.

DaveLong

Nov 2, 2017
How much are you willing to spend and do you want to play modern games too? You could get an Xbox One and play it that way. That gives you some other newer options as well. I think the game is totally worth playing if you are a HUGE Treasure fan whether the scoring system clicks or not. In the context of being made for Sega Saturn originally, it's a standout game in their catalog.

You might also be interested in Strania although it's been ported to Steam also.

1upsuper

Jan 30, 2018
Are there any shmups you guys can recommend that tell interesting stories through the gameplay, not just in little story dumps between levels or bosses taunting you a la Touhou? I'm talking things like running themes through levels, a certain narrative arc you can sense through the nature of the levels themselves or the gameplay mechanics. The best examples I can think of are the Alltynex Trilogy (the obvious choice, right?), Genetos, ZeroRanger, and...maybe the MSX Gradius games? Those have more story going on than your average Gradius game for sure. I love when shmups really build a cohensive world around themselves without beating you over the head with narrative dumps. But if there's some totally wacked out shmup with tons and tons of dialogue and aspirations of being Xenosaga then I'm all ears.

But I'd be happy to hear about any shmups that had stories and worlds that really sucked you in in general.

It might be. I'm not crazy about how RS makes you chain but it is novel and gorgeous and if the scoring system clicks I could see how someone would enjoy it more than Ikaruga. If you don't have Under Defeat on PS3 that's another not-too-danmaku game that might be worth checking out? Same with Omega Five, but that one's a genuine exclusive I think.
Thanks. I don't have Under Defeat but I've been meaning to for a while. I do have a PS3 though so I'll probably just get it on there. I'll definitely consider Omega Five if I go through with this.
How much are you willing to spend and do you want to play modern games too? You could get an Xbox One and play it that way. That gives you some other newer options as well. I think the game is totally worth playing if you are a HUGE Treasure fan whether the scoring system clicks or not. In the context of being made for Sega Saturn originally, it's a standout game in their catalog.

You might also be interested in Strania although it's been ported to Steam also.
I have no interest in anything on the xbox one and pretty much no interest in anything on the 360 aside from Radiant Silvergun, so I really am doing this just for RS. It looks like I could get a used 360 and everything for under $100 so I'll probably just do that when I have the money.
Bought Shikondo for Switch cause it was on sale.

EHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
Yep. The game looks great but it's...not great to play.

Last edited:

Deleted member 9305

Oct 26, 2017
WHAT! Shikhondo is awesome, I've enjoyed the PC release a lot.

clippa

Apr 18, 2018
I thought Shikhondo was alright. Nice and relaxing fun but the difficulty spike on the final boss stopped me from playing it as much as I would have done.

I've seen some videos of really broken patterns in the switch version, don't know if it's been patched since.

Deleted member 2620

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Shmups Skill Test is on Steam, actually (plus it got a US digital 360 release in something like 2013), and yeah it's weird as hell. Kinda fun, pretty rough, neat idea.

Deleted member 34711

Banned
Nov 28, 2017
Are there any shmups you guys can recommend that tell interesting stories through the gameplay, not just in little story dumps between levels or bosses taunting you a la Touhou? I'm talking things like running themes through levels, a certain narrative arc you can sense through the nature of the levels themselves or the gameplay mechanics. The best examples I can think of are the Alltynex Trilogy (the obvious choice, right?), Genetos, ZeroRanger, and...maybe the MSX Gradius games? Those have more story going on than your average Gradius game for sure. I love when shmups really build a cohensive world around themselves without beating you over the head with narrative dumps. But if there's some totally wacked out shmup with tons and tons of dialogue and aspirations of being Xenosaga then I'm all ears.

But I'd be happy to hear about any shmups that had stories and worlds that really sucked you in in general.
Radiant Silvergun (360 story mode) and Cambria Sword might fit this bill. The latter has no dialogue, but the simple 'save your friend from the bad dudes' narrative is unbelievably epic.

ArjanN

Oct 25, 2017

Sine Mora.

leder

Oct 25, 2017

ZeroRanger spoilers
No, I didn't think "fuck off" with the Undertale homage fight. It was one of six mini bosses in a balls to the wall boss rush. I thought it was cute. On the nose? Extremely. But ZR managed to make it work because the game is such an unapologetic love letter to the things that inspired it. Different strokes for different folks. I understand the feeling of not getting what everyone else is in love with. For example, I thought The Witcher 3 was terrible. Sometimes the latest darling works for you and sometimes it doesn't.
Was thinking about doing this, but with a One X for BC Guardian Heroes, Radiant Silvergun, Capcom Arcade, Virtual On, etc...

Anyone know if the One X's 360 emulation adds noticeable input lag or screen scaling or anything?

Deleted member 2620

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Was thinking about doing this, but with a One X for BC Guardian Heroes, Radiant Silvergun, Capcom Arcade, Virtual On, etc...

Anyone know if the One X's 360 emulation adds noticeable input lag or screen scaling or anything?

I remember hearing that the emulation was about a frame behind the original, which is pretty solid imo. Definitely not as bad as PS1/PS2 on PS3 or Xbox on Xbox 360.

1upsuper

Jan 30, 2018
eh? i heard the Switch version is broken but the others are fine.
Yeah I was talking about the Switch version. Haven't played the PC version but the Switch version is still borked afaik.
Radiant Silvergun (360 story mode) and Cambria Sword might fit this bill. The latter has no dialogue, but the simple 'save your friend from the bad dudes' narrative is unbelievably epic.
Thank you. I actually have been meaning to get Cambria Sword for a while. I'm pleased to hear that it's what I'm looking for. I'll get it today. I read a review that said it's good at subtle storytelling which is great.
And I've heard that Radiant Silvergun has a really cool story too. I hope to play it soon.
Cool, thanks. I've always heard mixed things about this but I'm gonna check it out. Seems like people love it or hate it.

clippa

Apr 18, 2018
I'm waiting for the big update (is it still happening?) before giving BR another shot.

I'm assuming so, but judging by this preliminary footage, it's gonna be a bigger overhaul than I first imagined.

Just seen this on their website which has got me excited. I thought they were doing a platformer next.

zN4pO80.jpg

Also

Independent videogame developer.
2D action games.
Windows, Mac, Linux.
Coin eaters.

Exa version? It'd certainly explain the delayed update.

wesman

Oct 30, 2017
Pittsburgh
Idk maybe it's just me it just wasn't clicking

I actively dislike this game, and had already picked up the Playasia special edition too... Figured hey, it's digital, why not? Bland backgrounds, enemy waves that just seem to be there, and don't gel much with the player character. It just feels like a barren phone game to me, devoid of design and depth.

Deleted member 13560

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Finally got my copy of RollingGunner today!

45213068961_ae8fd5b905_b.jpg

First physical game I purchased in almost 10 years.

Just installed it and it comes with an extra shoot'em up. Wow that is pretty awesome!!

Last edited:

Darkmaigle

Oct 25, 2017
Finally got my copy of RollingGunner today!

45213068961_ae8fd5b905_b.jpg

First physical game I purchased in almost 10 years.

Just installed it and it comes with an extra shoot'em up. Wow that is pretty awesome!!

Nice! Im still on the fence about grabbing it. Feel free to share your thoughts. How much did it cost you all up?

clippa

Apr 18, 2018
Yaaas man!

I decided to hold out for the steam version in the end. I'm the same as you with physical media, I can understand collectors clinging on to it as they're invested, but it's just another skip your relatives have to hire when they're carting you off to maggot town.
When the drawer that I put my ripped CDs in got full, that was when I stopped everything. I have a drawer full of CDs and a drawer full of 360 shmups and that's it now.
Getting the finished game early was definitely tempting though.

Damn, I could have had it by now if I'd pulled the trigger! You'll have to tell us about that extra game when you get round to trying it.

Darkmaigle

Oct 25, 2017
So full disclosure I'm playing Darius burst CS for the first time. What does all that dlc do? Is it just playable ships?

1upsuper

Jan 30, 2018
Cambria Sword is really cool. It has a great mix of doujin sensibilities and fun shmup design. It's a well made game but it's also intimidating to play. It's 3.5 hours for a full run with limited continues? That's nuts.
The Switch version got patched not too long ago. I've given it a couple play-throughs and everything seems fine.

Even managed a 1CC on Normal so hurray for that.
Oh, good to know.

Deleted member 34711

Banned
Nov 28, 2017
Cambria Sword is really cool. It has a great mix of doujin sensibilities and fun shmup design. It's a well made game but it's also intimidating to play. It's 3.5 hours for a full run with limited continues? That's nuts.
Isn't it completely wonderful and insane? Top 5 shmup for me. I love it as a palate cleanser from more serious/focused games.

I used a hex editor to unlock stage select and easy mode (crazy weapons mode), so I can just play one or two levels at a time.

DaveLong

Nov 2, 2017
I asked in a different thread but I'm sure I'll get a better reply here... Did Zero Gunner 2 on Switch ever get fixed? I know it was pretty much panned at release but then they patched it. I'm guessing Dreamcast is still the best option for that, but I thought I'd check?

1upsuper

Jan 30, 2018
Isn't it completely wonderful and insane? Top 5 shmup for me. I love it as a palate cleanser from more serious/focused games.

I used a hex editor to unlock stage select and easy mode (crazy weapons mode), so I can just play one or two levels at a time.
Yeah, I love it so far. It's so over the top and has a truly epic vibe to it. And there are so many weapons.

clippa

Apr 18, 2018
Think I'm ready to admit to my early criticisms of ZeroRanger being weapons grade bullshit.
I'm enjoying it more and more the more I play more.
Does the game have rank or do you get harder bosses/mid-bosses from shooting the powerup orbs?

Deleted member 34711

Banned
Nov 28, 2017
Think I'm ready to admit to my early criticisms of ZeroRanger being weapons grade bullshit.
I'm enjoying it more and more the more I play more.
Does the game have rank or do you get harder bosses/mid-bosses from shooting the powerup orbs?
Far as I can tell, there's no rank and destroying orbs doesn't do anything other than deny yourself the weapon.

clippa

Apr 18, 2018
There's definitely something going on, I've been shooting the power up orb that I don't want before I collect the one that I do because I figured there might be some sort of secret if you kept doing it.
It shatters and loads of bits fly off but there's one bit that stays longer than the others and flies off towards your score which suggests that you're doing something right. Then in the second loop you can shoot both the power ups.
I'm sure I saw the power up orbs with white fire coming off them towards the end of a couple of runs when I'd kept shooting them.

I don't know if it's that or the fact that I've been playing more aggressively, shooting things as quickly as I can and getting extra enemies and keeping the chain up. It's either the orbs or when I'm scoring well, the bosses and mid-bosses will throw out more bullets and some of the patterns will be more dense. It's very noticeable even from the 1-2 mid-boss, like going from easy to normal.