• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Eolz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
FR
I wouldn't use the "top sellers" bit for tags in Steam, as it doesn't show all the games in that category (and can lead to missing some good ones).

Deleted member 34711

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 28, 2017
ESCHATOS / Judgement Silversword don't go on sale very often. I would prioritize them if you're trying to narrow things down.

ThankDougie

Banned
Nov 12, 2017
Buffalo
Japan's getting their own Psikyo collections for Switch--these ones have six games each instead of four: https://psikyo-portal.com/shootinglibrary.html

Volume 1: Strikers 1945, Strikers 1945-II, Strikers 1999, Sol Divide, Dragon Blaze, Zero Gunner 2-
Volume 2: Gunbird, Gunbird 2, Gunbarich, Sengoku Ace, Sengoku Blade, Sengoku Cannon

Oh dang, and it's cheaper than buying those games together on the eShop... Japanese games should work fine on my Switch right? Just need to check for English language options (or a guide for managing the menus - it looks like maybe the controls are in English anyway?).

Deleted member 34711

Banned
Nov 28, 2017
FYI if you do buy from this site, you'll want to download the main game (HELLSINKER_dl07b) and the latest patch (15b), then extract the patch into the Hellsinker folder.

Also it looks like the game is in (very confusing) english, even if the beginning config menu is not.

ThankDougie

Banned
Nov 12, 2017
Buffalo
finally tried out Gunbird 2 on the Switch.

I uh... I need to get better at shmups. This game is addictive as hell, but I had to turn it down to Child difficulty in order to make it past the third stage. Whew! Them patterns.

Oct 27, 2017
gunbird 2 is one of my top 3 psikyo shmups for sure, but yeah I find it insanely difficult.

especially if you get into it for scoring... you are not only dodging bullets but timing each medal spin to collect it while it's "flat" right as it flashes and doing it consecutively to build your "chain". it's very distracting/pulls my attention away at the hazardous things being thrown at me

cj_iwakura

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Coral Springs, FL
I love what they did with the commentary on Game Tengoku Cruisin.
D5k1gwWX4AISW5E.jpg

Very AnimEigo-ish.

Thac0

Nov 15, 2017
I picked up Crimzon Clover WORLD IGNITION during the Steam sale for a ridiculous price and it's great! Just wild with the number of moving sprites on screen at some points. Been playing on Novice with one foray into the Arcade difficulty and the difference is...remarkable.

On a side note, I had an issue with the game being locked at 57.1 fps for a while, it was fixed by a system restart. So be aware. The game warns you about unofficial scores if you play on anything other than 60 fps.

Eolz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
FR
I picked up Crimzon Clover WORLD IGNITION during the Steam sale for a ridiculous price and it's great! Just wild with the number of moving sprites on screen at some points. Been playing on Novice with one foray into the Arcade difficulty and the difference is...remarkable.

On a side note, I had an issue with the game being locked at 57.1 fps for a while, it was fixed by a system restart. So be aware. The game warns you about unofficial scores if you play on anything other than 60 fps.
Yep, that's an issue with modern windows. "Turn off computer" doesn't actually turn it off like it did before 8.
Thankfully it isn't needed often for Crimzon Clover.

Lakeside

Oct 25, 2017
I just saw that they have inflated the CE price by including the vinyl in the box. I wish it was separate. Have to pass on this I guess.

PepsimanVsJoe

Oct 26, 2017
I could've gone without the vinyl, and I can't imagine that $129.99 price will include shipping.

It looks nice though.

SoH

Oct 25, 2017
Bittersweet seeing such a package for Battle Garegga put out by a publisher whose business model I despise.

At least the M2 doc isn't exclusive, looks incredible.

Lakeside

Oct 25, 2017
Bittersweet seeing such a package for Battle Garegga put out by a publisher whose business model I despise.

At least the M2 doc isn't exclusive, looks incredible.

Wat, you don't enjoy:
-Planning your day around a release
-Spamming F5
-Clicking on shit so fast that you screw something up
-Hoping to hell the checkout queue works quickly enough, while scalpers are allowed to buy 2
-So you can front LRG the production money months in advance
-While you wait for your stuff
-Only to receive it incomplete, in need of patches

So you don't have to:
-Go to Ebay and pay stupid prices to asshole scalpers

?

SoH

Oct 25, 2017
Wat, you don't enjoy:
-Spamming F5
-Hoping to hell the checkout queue works quickly enough, while scalpers are allowed to buy 2

So you don't have to:

?
slow_wet_trumpet_fart.wav

ShinJohnpv

Oct 25, 2017
Wat, you don't enjoy:
-Spamming F5

So you don't have to:

?

*slow standing clap*

Augemitbutter

Oct 25, 2017
i don't collect vinyl and looking at the price means pass. this tiny timeframe pricing is getting out of hand. i'll get the regular game if i can.

Deleted member 29237

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Picked up Dariusburst CS and Mushimishama (or however it's spelled!) in the Steam sale. I'm not really a big shmup player but wanted something a bit lightweight to dip into when I have 10-15 minutes spare as gaming time, and DBCS seems perfect! It's also really impressive in dual monitor mode, I get other games push more polygons around but the sheer scale of some of the bosses is quite intimidating!

I also picked up all the DLC which cost about £28 put together - not planning to play that immediately but I figured being licensed content it might not be around forever.

Deleted member 2620

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I've never actually played RType and noticed Dimensions is on sale for Switch. Thoughts?

R-Type is a classic and Dimensions is a good way to play it. The only real issue I have with it is the per-second stuttering, but that's kind of an inherent problem with R-Type in general (the original arcade game is locked to 55 fps, basically, and all home versions have to deal with this in some way) and IMO isn't a dealbreaker for the Switch version unless you happen to have a gsync PC to play it on instead.

Agent Unknown

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah, I think I'm going to pass on that Battle Garegga LE. I already have the Garegga Premium Edition box set which has all of those extras including the Bluescape art book (which seems to be missing from this) and I don't need vinyl in addition to the soundtrack CD which I already have. Plus the M2 documentary will also be available to watch for free in a few weeks on My Life in Gaming's YouTube page. Then again maybe I'll change my mind and try to get it because it would be nice to have a physical copy of the game too but Limited Run Game's ordering system sounds like a nightmare to deal with based on everything I've read, so still leaning towards no.

I've never actually played RType and noticed Dimensions is on sale for Switch. Thoughts?

I bought it the last time it was on sale back in December and really enjoy it. I mainly play it in arcade/2D mode, it's just nice having both games on Switch. And this is kind of a minor side point, but I absolutely love Dimension's game selection screen. It features digital recreations of R-TYPE I & II's arcade cabinets and switching between them will play alternating music from their respective game over screens.

Last edited:

Remembrance

Oct 25, 2017
Then again maybe I'll change my mind and try to get it because it would be nice to have a physical copy of the game too but Limited Run Game's ordering system sounds like a nightmare to deal with based on everything I've read, so still leaning towards no.

Just order the standard PS4 edition?

The CE is what people will be fighting for as soon as it goes up, and the standard should be easier. Just make an account and save your shipping address in advance.

Epilexia

Jan 27, 2018

The 3D remakes are superb, with a lot of QOL improvements, making the games more accesible for beginners.

But if you want to play faithful recreations of the originals, the collection is not that great.

It doesn't include scanlines or a CRT shader if you select the original pixel art graphics, plus the games seem to be running at 60 FPS instead of the original 55 FPS of the original arcade versions.

To play the original games as they were intended, the 'R-Types' collection for Playstation using an old tube TV is still the way to go. You will have perfect emulations of the games, and you can play with scanlines.

But even with this, 'R-Type Dimensions EX' is an essential purchase for fans of the series, because the 3D versions are gorgeous and with a superb artistic direction.

I'm still waiting for the Hamster Arcade Archives releases, to have perfect emulations with scanlines on Switch.

As great as the 3D versions are, I still prefer the original pixel art graphics for nostalgic reasons.

cj_iwakura

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Coral Springs, FL
Thankfully every LRG I wanted hasn't been that popular, like Double Switch and Night Trap .

Their real problem is their horrible QA. Caladrius Blaze's book is insultingly Engrishy.

OnanieBomb

Oct 25, 2017
R-Type is a classic and Dimensions is a good way to play it. The only real issue I have with it is the per-second stuttering, but that's kind of an inherent problem with R-Type in general (the original arcade game is locked to 55 fps, basically, and all home versions have to deal with this in some way) and IMO isn't a dealbreaker for the Switch version unless you happen to have a gsync PC to play it on instead.
Yeah, I think I'm going to pass on that Battle Garegga LE. I already have the Garegga Premium Edition box set which has all of those extras including the Bluescape art book (which seems to be missing from this) and I don't need vinyl in addition to the soundtrack CD which I already have. Plus the M2 documentary will also be available to watch for free in a few weeks on My Life in Gaming's YouTube page. Then again maybe I'll change my mind and try to get it because it would be nice to have a physical copy of the game too but Limited Run Game's ordering system sounds like a nightmare to deal with based on everything I've read, so still leaning towards no.

I bought it the last time it was on sale back in December and really enjoy it. I mainly play it in arcade/2D mode, it's just nice having both games on Switch. And this is kind of a minor side point, but I absolutely love Dimension's game selection screen. It features digital recreations of R-TYPE I & II's arcade cabinets and switching between them will play alternating music from their respective game over screens.
The 3D remakes are superb, with a lot of QOL improvements, making the games more accesible for beginners.

But if you want to play faithful recreations of the originals, the collection is not that great.

It doesn't include scanlines or a CRT shader if you select the original pixel art graphics, plus the games seem to be running at 60 FPS instead of the original 55 FPS of the original arcade versions.

To play the original games as they were intended, the 'R-Types' collection for Playstation using an old tube TV is still the way to go. You will have perfect emulations of the games, and you can play with scanlines.

But even with this, 'R-Type Dimensions EX' is an essential purchase for fans of the series, because the 3D versions are gorgeous and with a superb artistic direction.

I'm still waiting for the Hamster Arcade Archives releases, to have perfect emulations with scanlines on Switch.

As great as the 3D versions are, I still prefer the original pixel art graphics for nostalgic reasons.

Thanks y'all. Just noticed there's a demo so I'll give it a go.

Deleted member 29237

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
I really like R-Type Dimensions, it's nice to be able to switch graphics on the fly and overall it seems very faithful to the originals. Also has a load of options to make it friendlier for newcomers, like infinite lives and a slowdown button.

That said, playing the games as originally intended (falling back to a checkpoint on death) is pretty punishing, I'm not sure it really holds up these days.

rawhide

Oct 28, 2017
Thankfully every LRG I wanted hasn't been that popular, like Double Switch and Night Trap .

Their real problem is their horrible QA. Caladrius Blaze's book is insultingly Engrishy.

AFAIK they don't do anything with or to the games whatsoever, they release them in whatever state the devs deliver them. My guess for that game is it's identical to the Korean disc version in all but packaging.

rawhide

Oct 28, 2017