• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Lakeside

Oct 25, 2017
So I should probably search around but who owns Eighting-Raizing properties these days?

Toaplan is great news but I need my Batrider and Bakraid. Yes I realize that they've already been porting them over, just wondering about IP ownership.

rawhide

Oct 28, 2017
So I should probably search around but who owns Eighting-Raizing properties these days?

Toaplan is great news but I need my Batrider and Bakraid. Yes I realize that they've already been porting them over, just wondering about IP ownership.

8ing/Raizing still owns them. The company is owned by a larger conglomerate but they still exist and M2 licensed Garegga from them.

Deleted member 13560

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Looks like Sunny Tam (Danmaku Unlimited) is already working on something new. Not sure if it is going to lead to anything but his work already looks great. While releasing classics is great, I'm really wanting some new well made stuff. It sucks that some of these new guys are literally dancing circles around most of the bigger companies since said companies have literally released nothing new in years.

The only bad thing is that it seems a lot of STG fans only want more of the old stuff and never really support new developers coming into the scene. It also doesn't help that the genre is so niche. It hurts to see developers like Doragon, System Erasure, Stellar Circle, Astroport, Picorinne Soft, and other indie/doujin goups struggling financially. At least you know when they release their titles they're doing it for the love.

Last edited:

clippa

Apr 18, 2018
Looks like Sunny Tam (Danmaku Unlimited) is already working on something new.

Is it not just the exa version of DU3 he's spit polishing?

Yeah, I've noticed on the shmups forum in particular that they're way more forgiving of crappy games so long as they're old and out of print and will set you back £100 for a physical copy.
A lot of them won't even try new games to find out if they're good or bad.
Indie games are the future of the genre and they can be as good as, if not better than some of the games from the big hitters of the past and they're being made on a fraction of the budget.

Deleted member 13560

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Is it not just the exa version of DU3 he's spit polishing?

Yeah, I've noticed on the shmups forum in particular that they're way more forgiving of crappy games so long as they're old and out of print and will set you back £100 for a physical copy.
A lot of them won't even try new games to find out if they're good or bad.
Indie games are the future of the genre and they can be as good as, if not better than some of the games from the big hitters of the past and they're being made on a fraction of the budget.

It's not the Exa arcade release of DU3. It's something new. From what I've been following I think he's making his own engine.

1upsuper

Jan 30, 2018
M2 announced at a joint event with TATSUJIN, the current Toaplan IP holder they will be porting Toaplan's games to home consoles (FINALLY!!) with the goal of eventually porting over their entire library. This is the most exciting shmup related news I've heard in a long time, been hoping and waiting for years that the Toaplan IPs would finally get perfect modern ports.

I can't believe my eyes.
I'd love for the Toaplan games to get the Shottriggers treatment.
This is awesome news! Toaplan has an excellent library of shmups.
Good to know, thanks. Really hoping we get a Toaplan collection at some point, though I know how unlikely that is.

clippa

Apr 18, 2018
Dezatopia steam page is up, release date sited as 1st Feb - https://store.steampowered.com/app/1178290/Dezatopia/

They've left the switch bumper on there which I'm assuming is just laziness rather than a mistake.

Switch version of this and mecha ritz may be delayed for a little while.

Apologies for the delay, as in porting an engine for the first time to Switch, we ran into some bugs and we are unsure for Nintendo cert timing. Even if both won't make it in time, we are committed to Steam release next month with Switch as soon as possible after.

Dash Kappei

Nov 1, 2017
Looking for your opinion on this matter guys :P

xposting from the eShop OT:

ESP ra.de (jpn exclusive) [Switch]

Fuck I had no idea that ESP RA. DE #shottriggers was going to be just 4500¥ (37€) on the eShop and I preordered the cheapest physical edition I could find at 69€ on Nippon Yasan (cheapest bar Yesasia since I ain't waiting 2 months to get a package with no tracking).

Fuck, should I ask them to cancel my fully paid preorder (not even sure if they do that)?

I know I'll play it much less if it's on a cart, on the other hand digital with multiple Switch/es like I have are not that convenient if you're forced to have multiple accounts and #shot triggers haven't got a single budget re-release and I don't see it happening looking at this gen M2's STGs and this cart should hold its value maybe forever and it might even get more expensive if it's scarce..

The best would be to cancel the order at Nippon Yasan since I'm short on money (30€ difference) and maybe get it a couple years down the road physical... are PS4's physical for Battle Garegga / Feveron /etc still readily available?

Help! :P

rawhide

Oct 28, 2017
Garegga got an Asian PS4 disc release which is sort of localized into English but not really, as well as the full English version via LRG which is probably pretty expensive right now. You can also buy the English version digitally on PS4 and XB1 but you may have to switch countries to get it as it's not available everywhere.

Dangun Feveron and Mahou Daisakusen are 100% digital. Feveron's available digitally in English for PS4 and XB1, but again, it may not be available in your country. Mahou Daisakusen's only out in Japan and does not have an English localization.

Ketsui Deathtiny's available on disc for PS4 in Japan (with no English localization), and while it has the same digital/physical price differential as ESP Ra.De, the physical version does include the two paid DLCs (a rare arrange mode and an additional arranged soundtrack) on the disc.

My presumption was that they'd do something similar for ESP Ra.De to justify the higher price of the physical version but I don't believe it has any paid DLC at all, it's just more expensive.

Last edited:

1upsuper

Jan 30, 2018
I'm really on the fence about ESPrade. I don't like most Cave games but I've supported all the Shottriggers releases thus far and it seems a little weird to let this one pass me by. But it'd sure save me some money.

Deleted member 9305

Oct 26, 2017

Owners of Jamestown receive an additional 53% off, on top of the 17% launch discount.
SPECIAL PROMOTION! Offer ends 19 December

Deleted member 9305

Oct 26, 2017
Jamestown, XIIZEAL and DELTAZEAL are all loads of fun.

seatoadgames

Jul 5, 2019
ASOBossFight.gif

Just released a demo for my game on Steam. Try it out and let me know what you think!

steam page:

Deleted member 29237

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Crimson Clover is on deep sale on GOG - good deal for anyone that wants a DRM free copy! It rarely goes on sale there despite regularly being 80% off on Steam.

SharpX68K

Nov 10, 2017
Chicagoland
M2 announced at a joint event with TATSUJIN, the current Toaplan IP holder they will be porting Toaplan's games to home consoles (FINALLY!!) with the goal of eventually porting over their entire library. This is the most exciting shmup related news I've heard in a long time, been hoping and waiting for years that the Toaplan IPs would finally get perfect modern ports.

I can't believe my eyes.

Dogyuun please!

vqVEtzG.jpg

TiZzefo.jpg

SoH

Oct 25, 2017
Finished my new stick. Everyone throws some fightman hadouken on their art. I wanted a shmup stick. Just in time for ESP Ra.De.

qHYTd1Sh.jpg

HB2nVFph.jpg

Last edited:

Lakeside

Oct 25, 2017
I have an extra ESP Ra.De limited edition for PS4, the Amazon version with bonus. I'm not sure anyone is looking for one but it's sealed and such. I didn't realize they put a deadline on cancelations and ended up with the BEEP kit also.

That stick looks great! What are the front buttons used for?

Last edited:

SoH

Oct 25, 2017
That stick looks great! What are the front buttons used for?

Left to right =>
- Start, Home, Select
- Left Stick / D-Pad / Right Stick switch

- RJ-45 port (hooked up Retro and UFB stacked boards. Supports pretty much everything from NES - PS4, just have to make a cable for it)

- Turns On / Off all non-face buttons
- R3 (stick click), touch pad, L3 (click)

edit: I am 90% sure I got some of those backwards, but that is the basic idea. It is difficult to mirror these things in your brain.

Last edited:

Lakeside

Oct 25, 2017
Left to right =>
- Select, Home, Start
- Left Stick / D-Pad / Right Stick switch

- RJ-45 port (hooked up Retro and UFB stacked boards. Supports pretty much everything from NES - PS4, just have to make a cable for it)

- Turns On / Off all non-face buttons
- R3 (stick click), touch pad, L3 (click)

That's awesome, thanks.

I need to bust out my new stick for a photo shoot. Arcade Shock made me a custom stick with buttons and sticks of my choice, and skinned it to look like the control panel of my favorite arcade cab (Super Neo 29).

All the parts are optimized for shooting games which I suppose is weird for a Neo Geo themed stick but years ago I rotated the monitor and set up my cab with these exact same parts. I also did the same with my Neo 25 cab as far as controls go, but left that one hori. I think I have Mushi Matsuri 1.5 and Akai Katana home edition in them currently.

SoH

Oct 25, 2017
SoH That's a amazingly beautiful stick. Do you have a build album or video?
A build video would just be me swearing 50% of the time lol. I have a few more photos though and happy to fill in any details if helpful.

The heart of it all is the Brook Retro + UFB combo board that lets you plug in to just about everything except MD / Genesis because the pin limitation and NEO GEO. Arcade Shock and Jasen's Customs both sells them. I went with the latter because I like the stacked board rather than the split that Arcade Shock offers but either should work exactly the same. Just depends how much height clearance you have in your case.

8dVlBNZ.jpg

TooZRzTl.jpg

BN6hGybl.jpg

8BkkzIch.jpg

1upsuper

Jan 30, 2018
What did the Amazon bonus end up being for ESP ra.de?

Also that's a great looking stick, SoH. I definitely want to make a custom shmup themed stick at some point.

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Which is the best way to practice an shmup?
Start from the beggining when you lose all your lives? Force through the end with infi ite credits? Or if possoble restart the stage until you learn how not to lose lives?

SoH

Oct 25, 2017
Start from the beggining when you lose all your lives? Force through the end with infi ite credits? Or if possoble restart the stage until you learn how not to lose lives?

Personally I find credit feeding to take the bite out of the tension in a game which in turn makes it more difficult to stick to it as a restriction. That said I think it can be extremely useful to credit feed back to an area, or save states if available, to practice and clean up a tougher section so it is all about finding the right balance with these things.

Dash Kappei

Nov 1, 2017
Loving Esp Ra De PSI on Switch and I honestly didn't notice any input lag but I don't have the PS4 version to compare atm.
Anyway, crossposting here:

Is there a fan-translation of the manual somewhere?
It's pretty long and I'm a bit annoyed I'm missing out on so much text since usually shmups imports are a cake walk compared to any other genre and I have been importing them since TFIII back in the day lol

I think Jamestown+ (now also on Switch btw) is a good one to learn since it has so many difficulty levels, unlocks, challenges and so on. It's a bit of a bullet hell for newbies :)

Deleted member 13560

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I just started playing Sky Force Reloaded and damn is it addicting. The best thing about it is that it doesn't lock itself to 60FPS. Literally the most responsive and smoothest feeling shoot'em up ever.

Are there any other well done shmups that don't limit the framerate?

Deleted member 9305

Oct 26, 2017
I just started playing Sky Force Reloaded and damn is it addicting. The best thing about it is that it doesn't lock itself to 60FPS. Literally the most responsive and smoothest feeling shoot'em up ever.

Are there any other well done shmups that don't limit the framerate?
0x004000C1 should work for Reloaded, I guess it's still Unity as the previous game. SGSSAA really elevates things and gives a CGI like pop.

AFAIR, this one had a 120fps option:

Definitely uncapped:

Soilbreaker

Oct 25, 2017
USA

A new entry in the shoot 'em up series Cotton was announced at the Umihara Kawases BaZooKa! hands-on event held on December 21. Detailed information such as platforms were not announced, but it is planned for release in 2021 in Japan.

Cotton Reboot!, a reboot of the X68000 version of Cotton, is due out for PlayStation 4, Switch, and PC via Steam in summer 2020 in Japan. It includes a faithful port of the X68000 version, as well as a new "Arrange Mode" with renewed graphics and characters, widescreen support, newly recorded voice-overs by new actors, and background music by notable games industry composers. There is also a "Score Attack Mode" where users can play timed runs (two or five minutes) and upload their scores online.

1upsuper

Jan 30, 2018
If someone had told me a year ago that Cotton was coming back in a big way, I wouldn't have believed them. I'm definitely down.

ShinJohnpv

Oct 25, 2017
Finished my new stick. Everyone throws some fightman hadouken on their art. I wanted a shmup stick. Just in time for ESP Ra.De.

qHYTd1Sh.jpg

HB2nVFph.jpg

That really is beautifully done and really amazing! You need to let me know how the brooks retro board works on SNES, I'm dying for some real first hand experience with it.