• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

angelgrievous

Middle fingers up
Nov 8, 2017
Ohio
Hey all. Just wondering if the Dariusburst Chonicle Saviours DLC is worth the asking price. I think I saw it on sale once but didn't buy it. I'm not quite finished with the game but I know I'll want to keep playing afterwards so thought I'd check out the DLC but wow is seems expensive.

Thanks.

Cthulhu_Steev

Oct 27, 2017
Hey all. Just wondering if the Dariusburst Chonicle Saviours DLC is worth the asking price. I think I saw it on sale once but didn't buy it. I'm not quite finished with the game but I know I'll want to keep playing afterwards so thought I'd check out the DLC but wow is seems expensive.

Thanks.

I don't know whether it's worth it, but it's been on my wishlist waiting for a sale because I'm terrified it will suddenly disappear one day due to licensing issues!

ScOULaris

Oct 25, 2017
So someone on Reddit pointed out that the only M2 Shotriggers releases that have ever come to the West (and USA only, apparently) were Battle Garegga and Dangon Feveron, both of which had localized versions to begin with. Since ESP Ra.De. never had an English version, I'm starting to think that Psi will never be released outside of Japan.

I'm so close to pulling the trigger on importing it, but damn there are SO many menus and UI elements that I won't understand. That one menu translation on the shmups forum is helpful, but there are so many other elements/areas that would need to be translated.

Mantrox

Oct 27, 2017
So someone on Reddit pointed out that the only M2 Shotriggers releases that have ever come to the West (and USA only, apparently) were Battle Garegga and Dangon Feveron, both of which had localized versions to begin with. Since ESP Ra.De. never had an English version, I'm starting to think that Psi will never be released outside of Japan.

I'm so close to pulling the trigger on importing it, but damn there are SO many menus and UI elements that I won't understand. That one menu translation on the shmups forum is helpful, but there are so many other elements/areas that would need to be translated.
I didn't even wait for them to bring any of them over.
I just point the google translate app at the screen and guess.

After playing most of them for so long, i rarely even use the menus that much.
it's always on Arcade setting, with my stuff ready to go.

ShinJohnpv

Oct 25, 2017

There is an international version of the Arcade PCB that has English on it. I don't know where that got released to, but there is an English translation version already out there for ESP Ra De. Plus the game doesn't have that much text, honestly the Esper room would need like 50x the amount of translation work than the game itself, so I don't know if that really makes a difference.

ScOULaris

Oct 25, 2017
Welp, I decided to just go for it and import the Switch version. The fact that I've been giving it so much thought shows how much I want this game on my Switch, and with only the faintest glimmer of hope of an eventual western release I said fug it.

Came out to $63 in total through Amazon Japan because of the $10 shipping.

SoH

Oct 25, 2017
Thing to keep in mind about the menus is they are mostly config too. Once you have it setup the way you want you rarely need to really dig through them.

And the one or two pop ups you may need to hit hai to you'll get used to very quickly. As far as imports go shmups are very kind, even one with as complex options as this one.

Slime Stack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Puerto Rico
Ended up pulling the trigger and getting the Switch Japanese version. If a western a version ever comes out I'll double dip with the PS4 version.

ScOULaris

Oct 25, 2017
Thing to keep in mind about the menus is they are mostly config too. Once you have it setup the way you want you rarely need to really dig through them.

And the one or two pop ups you may need to hit hai to you'll get used to very quickly. As far as imports go shmups are very kind, even one with as complex options as this one.
Yeah, I figured as much. The one area that I might struggle with are the challenges for Iori's Room since I won't know what the goal of each one is.

japtor

Jan 19, 2018
Tempting, but I'd probably end up digital for convenience, and might be hard to get a physical cart by the time I decide to get it. Do I just need a Japanese account and eShop credit to buy off that store?

I'd probably feel more rushed to buy if I didn't already have the PCB from way back. I haven't followed too much, how's the new stuff in it, sounds like another character and tweaked (but not necessarily a full arrange) arcade mode?

Slime Stack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Puerto Rico
Tempting, but I'd probably end up digital for convenience, and might be hard to get a physical cart by the time I decide to get it. Do I just need a Japanese account and eShop credit to buy off that store?

I'd probably feel more rushed to buy if I didn't already have the PCB from way back. I haven't followed too much, how's the new stuff in it, sounds like another character and tweaked (but not necessarily a full arrange) arcade mode?

Yeah it's a tweaked arcade mode, the new boss/character and the Iori room stuff. Along with the usual M2 stuff like training mode and the arranged sound track.

rawhide

Oct 28, 2017

Putting aside the fact that the other M2STG games also have localized ROMs, Garegga and Feveron still use the Japanese ROMs anyway so that clearly didn't influence their decision.

For them to not even bother bringing it to the international stores, the fees and work involved must not be worth it.
The ShotTrigger series must be running on little more that M2's employees hardcore obsession with these titles.

The physical stuff probably sells the small stock they produce, digital does maybe a couple thousand and that's that.
Like most niche gaming stuff, it's a true miracle it's even being made.

I can't offer actual numbers but the retail version of Ketsui Deathtiny exceeded expectations and has been reprinted something like five times.

I don't think the numbers posted earlier necessarily reflect a lack of interest in Ra.De, especially as this is the first time they've launched on multiple platforms. Let them speak on whether they consider it successful or not.

Mantrox

Oct 27, 2017
I certainly hope they continue on and make that Rag Time Show port they wanted, as well as Bakraid and Batrider.

Bringing all of the Cave stuff back (with proper slowdow) would be a huge endeavor, but so great if it happened as well.

leder

Oct 25, 2017

Thanks.
I've bought a couple. The content isn't that compelling honestly for the price but it is cool as hell having some of those ships. Also be aware that the DLC is not cross-buy for PS4 and Vita :(

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
So, I think that I'm going to stop looking for medals, feels like the hassle isn't worthy, although for some reason I find that the first 2 bosses are harder on lower ranks, or maybe I'm not focusing on the right weapons at the correct order

Mantrox

Oct 27, 2017
So, I think that I'm going to stop looking for medals, feels like the hassle isn't worthy, although for some reason I find that the first 2 bosses are harder on lower ranks, or maybe I'm not focusing on the right weapons at the correct order
Some of the bosses have random elements. Even though your rank might be lower, they sometimes can trigger a harder pattern. Yagawa is a mean man.

If you keep trying to get the medal chain, eventualy you're gonna memorize the medal positions, which will make it easier to keep it up.
Just follow the rule. If you drop the chain, keep the run going, and don't pickup more medals; that way you don't worry about it as much.

By the way, in Garegga there's an item drop order.

[From the Garegga Strategy Topic on shmups]
Every five flying enemies you destroy you get:
  • 1: small shot powerup
  • 2: medal
  • 3: small shot powerup
  • 4: medal
  • 5: option (the first five repeat 4 times, then...)
  • 6: small shot powerup
  • 7: medal
  • 8: small shot powerup
  • 9: medal
  • 10: large shot powerup (then back to the top)
If you really feel the medals are too distracting, just do your thing. You'll come back to the medal collecting eventually.

SoH

Oct 25, 2017
Last time dodonpachi was ported was like over 2 decades ago as well so if any of the already ported stuff is due it is DDP.

Maybe MiSTer will get there first and I'll finally take the plunge.

Lakeside

Oct 25, 2017
Last time dodonpachi was ported was like over 2 decades ago as well so if any of the already ported stuff is due it is DDP.

Maybe MiSTer will get there first and I'll finally take the plunge.

It's a fair point. We did get Dodonpachi on 360's Instant Brain as a hidden game.

I'd just like to see the Ibaras and some more Raizing output (Batrider, Bakraid specifically).

andymcc

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, OH
It's a fair point. We did get Dodonpachi on 360's Instant Brain as a hidden game.

I'd just like to see the Ibaras and some more Raizing output (Batrider, Bakraid specifically).

Batrider is my #1 game for shottriggers.

i'll tell you what i want to see the most though... A Capcom shooter collection like their beat em up one.

Imagine with some of the games they own the rights for:

• Progear
  • Dimahoo
  • 19XX
  • Mars Matrix

ShinJohnpv

Oct 25, 2017
Personally I would love to see some more obscure stuff finally brought home. Stuff like Viper Phase 1, which is an amazing Raiden spin off that has never seen a home port, but totally deserves one. Now don't get me wrong I love the DonPachi series, and would love to see M2 tackle the series. It's just that these shot triggers releases come so slowly, that hitting something that already has a home port feels like a wasted opportunity. The ESP Ra De release was a fantastic choice because it was an amazing shmup (my personal favorite ) that some how never got a home release. I really want them to keep doing that. There are so many amazing shmups that are locked to either really expensive PCBs, or playing them on Mame, that absolutely deserve a chance on a home console.

Deleted member 2620

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The single game I want most from ShotTriggers is Ibara, purely due to the low quality of existing ports and emulation. If they're gonna port something that already has a good port, I guess I'd like Espgaluda?

Outside of Cave, though, I'd love to see Armed Police Batrider.

rawhide

Oct 28, 2017
DDP is the Street Fighter 2 of bullet hell, I'd never shrug at a new good port of that game.

There's also plenty they could do to make it more enticing, like get Cave to let them add the blue/campaign version.

ScOULaris

Oct 25, 2017
It would really be nice if they focused on games that haven't been ported.
Well, hold on. None of them have been ported to the Switch, which is what matters here. The Switch has every right to be the greatest shmup system of all time, thanks to its hybrid nature and easy TATE compatibility. EVERY Cave game needs to come to Switch. It's criminal that only one has so far, and even that one is Japan-exclusive at the moment.

PS - I wanna give a shout-out to Amazon Japan. I ordered my import copy of ESP Ra.De. Psi yesterday, and it's scheduled to arrive Thursday. That's three-day delivery from Tokyo with no Prime or anything. I'm impressed.

Lakeside

Oct 25, 2017
Well, hold on. None of them have been ported to the Switch, which is what matters here. The Switch has every right to be the greatest shmup system of all time, thanks to its hybrid nature and easy TATE compatibility. EVERY Cave game needs to come to Switch. It's criminal that only one has so far, and even that one is Japan-exclusive at the moment.

My eyes aren't bionic enough to play these games on the Switch but props to those that can. I can barely dodge bullets on my cab.

But I appreciate the likely tongue in cheek post, though the love of the Switch is lost on me.

ScOULaris

Oct 25, 2017
My eyes aren't bionic enough to play these games on the Switch but props to those that can. I can barely dodge bullets on my cab.

But I appreciate the likely tongue in cheek post, though the love of the Switch is lost on me.
My tongue is nowhere near my cheek. I truly, madly, deeply want every Cave game to be ported to Switch. I want it so badly it hurts.

andymcc

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, OH

PS - I wanna give a shout-out to Amazon Japan. I ordered my import copy of ESP Ra.De. Psi yesterday, and it's scheduled to arrive Thursday. That's three-day delivery from Tokyo with no Prime or anything. I'm impressed.

There have only been a grand total of three Cave games under the M2 Shottriggers line. Maybe they'll come to switch? My priority would still be to get other CAVE stuff ported.

Even in switch Tate mode, with the flipgrip, i prefer using my monitor with a rotating stand.

Lakeside

Oct 25, 2017
My tongue is nowhere near my cheek. I truly, madly, deeply want every Cave game to be ported to Switch. I want it so badly it hurts.

Ok then in that case I really hope they focus limited resources on porting things that aren't available to play rather than to get it on a specific console.

I did grab a Switch copy of ESP but I will likely never play it.

Deleted member 2620

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I just want 'em all at home without having to get PCBs!

I wound up double-dipping on EspRaDe, but I've gotten more mileage out of the PS4 version, personally. Between having to use an arcade stick adapter and the Switch version having slightly more delay (I think?), I'm noticing a very slight yet tangible difference in responsiveness between the two.

I also prefer playing yoko on my OLED to playing tate with flipgrip.

ShinJohnpv

Oct 25, 2017
I just want 'em all at home without having to get PCBs!

I wound up double-dipping on EspRaDe, but I've gotten more mileage out of the PS4 version, personally. Between having to use an arcade stick adapter and the Switch version having slightly more delay (I think?), I'm noticing a very slight yet tangible difference in responsiveness between the two.

I also prefer playing yoko on my OLED to playing tate with flipgrip.

I used to notice a difference with my arcade stick between the Switch and PS4, and then some one told me about a new option in the switch menu that had something to do with USB Pro controller communication or something, I forget the exact option, but I turned that on and the difference in responsiveness to my arcade stick went away. You could give that a try.

And yeah I want all shmups released in the arcade to come home, I just want some we haven't ever gotten yet to get their chance in the light.

Oct 27, 2017
batrider, bakraid, ibara/kuro, and some of that juicy toaplan would be great.
or something like thunder dragon 2 perhaps??

ports of games without home releases or "weak" ports is what I keep hoping for, but I'm prepped for the next game to be something like deathsmiles or mushihimesama switch lol

Deleted member 2620

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I used to notice a difference with my arcade stick between the Switch and PS4, and then some one told me about a new option in the switch menu that had something to do with USB Pro controller communication or something, I forget the exact option, but I turned that on and the difference in responsiveness to my arcade stick went away. You could give that a try.
Huh, I'll have to take a look

rawhide

Oct 28, 2017
City Connection's already handling a Deathsmiles 1 & 2 collection, so those are two less games for M2 to worry about.

Slime Stack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Puerto Rico
You have to play so aggressive in ESP. If you let the bigger enemies live for more than a second the screen instantly becomes filled with bullets between the aggressive bullet patterns and nonstop popcorn enemies. You have go right up to the bigger enemies and use you secondary shot as soon as they appear. Movement is weird too. You fly so much faster when you're not shooting it's actually jarring.

leder

Oct 25, 2017
The recent vinyl release of Radiant Silvergun's OST prompted me to finally pull the trigger on the Saturn version, which I've wanted to buy for ten years, but never wanted to pay the high price. Managed to win an auction with obi for under 200, which seems pretty good all things considered. Ikaruga has been one of my favorite games since I picked it up on GameCube back in the day, super excited to finally play the prequel!