• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

rawhide

Oct 28, 2017
Programmers aren't company reps or even necessarily employees.

"EXA rep" is a little reductive but the guy quoted works for and is employed by EXA. I know who he is and he's a respectable programmer but again, I've heard a lot of dubious claims and post-facto excuses about EXA from those involved, so they don't get the benefit of the doubt anymore.

Ashgar

Oct 28, 2017
I think these have been on Steam for some time, but Iridion 3D is not a good game. it was real impressive for the GBA, but definitely not a game I'd play intentionally nowadays. The second game is a lot better, but more of a traditional SHMUP.

Edit: I guess I didn't realize the pages were up, but they weren't out yet.

Ashgar

Oct 28, 2017
It sounds like they're just running in an emulator. Whether or not this counts as "decent" is up to you.

ShinJohnpv

Oct 25, 2017
M2 is going to have an update on their own game as well as their Toaplan title for the Shot Triggers Line tomorrow.

twitter.com

有限会社エムツー on Twitter

“【明日4/18[土] 18:30から】の「ファミ通・電撃ゲームアワード2019」にてエムツーの新作続報配信決定! 番組中どこかで『戦刃(仮題)』と「東亜プランタイトル」の"動いてる"続報お届けします、お楽しみに! https://t.co/lpwXcCkkbG #ファミ通電撃アワード #ネット超会議2020 #M2STG #東亜プラン”

Futaleufu

Banned
Jan 12, 2018
I never understood why Kyuukyoku Tiger was renamed as Twin Cobra for the western release, despite the prior game being called Tiger Heli.

Mantrox

Oct 27, 2017
Out Zone looks brutally difficult.
Never even heard of it until now!
It's not that hard actually. Its routes are easy to memorize and has a killer soundtrack.
Also, tons of bombs to clear the screen.

In for Tatsujin Oh, for sure!
Which is the better game: the first or second Truxton?
The second one i think is considered to be the best, but both are notorious for being brutally difficult and almost impossible to recover in, if you die in certain spots.

Last edited:

1upsuper

Jan 30, 2018
I'm in for all the Toaplan titles. Do we assume that Senjin is coming out before any of the Toaplan titles?

Dangerblade

Oct 25, 2017
Hey guys, can anybody recommend me some bullet hell shmups available on the Playstation Network? Ideally with a decent learning curve as I don't have too much experience outside of Crimzon Clover and Ikaruga, but I will look in to anything recommended :)

EDIT: UK PSN store

Last edited:

Mantrox

Oct 27, 2017
Hey guys, can anybody recommend me some bullet hell shmups available on the Playstation Network? Ideally with a decent learning curve as I don't have too much experience outside of Crimzon Clover and Ikaruga, but I will look in to anything recommended :)
I recommend Battle Garegga Rev.2016 by M2.
- It has a very nice easy mode to get into the groove.
- The premium arrange mode is easier to get into than straight Arcade mode, and it has a way for you to "crank it up to 11" if you start itching for more challenge.
- The game has an amazing soundtrack, and this port has 3 versions of it, all of them great.
- It's one of the defacto classics of the shmups scene, because of the quality of all the game's elements.
- You can play with your own playstyle, the mechanics give a lot of leeway for you to find your own way.
- The M2 gadgets on the port, uncover a lot of the mysteries that made the game's mechanics so inscrutable in the early days.
- The port has all the bells and whistles you could hope for: Leaderboards, replay viewer, save stating, etc...

Dangerblade

Oct 25, 2017
I recommend Battle Garegga Rev.2016 by M2.
- It has a very nice easy mode to get into the groove.
- The premium arrange mode is easier to get into than straight Arcade mode, and it has a way for you to "crank it up to 11" if you start itching for more challenge.
- The game has an amazing soundtrack, and this port has 3 versions of it, all of them great.
- It's one of the defacto classics of the shmups scene, because of the quality of all the game's elements.
- You can play with your own playstyle, the mechanics give a lot of leeway for you to find your own way.
- The M2 gadgets on the port, uncover a lot of the mysteries that made the game's mechanics so inscrutable in the early days.
- The port has all the bells and whistles you could hope for: Leaderboards, replay viewer, save stating, etc...
Thanks, that sounds really cool...unfortunately it doesn't seem to be on my PSN store though (I'm in the UK) :(

Deleted member 29237

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 1, 2017

If you have a PS3 pick up Gradius V as a PS2 classic, it's great and still looks amazing (same developer as Ikaruga!) Sadly kit on PS4 to my knowledge.

EDIT: UK PSN store
Jamestown+ is good for beginners, the lowest difficulty is very easy and then you can scale up from there. Also has a decent amount of unlockables to keep you on the hamster wheel!

a glitch

Dec 12, 2018
I havn't played much of Jamestown+ but I remember the original being great fun and quite beginner-friendly. It had an interesting way of building the player up from doing single stages on easier difficulties to doing a 1cc on harder difficulties.

I feel like I should play Battle Garegga at some point just to witness for myself how complex and weird some of the scoring mechanics are... but it looks like it's only avaliable on the Xbox One in Europe, which I don't have. Did it get a physical release in the US for PS4 or was it digital only?

ShinJohnpv

Oct 25, 2017
It's pretty easy to set up a PSN account for other regions and buy the codes to use on them. Definitely easier than getting my JP Xbox 360 account going. I would highly recommend, it gives you access to so many more great shmups.

Dangerblade

Oct 25, 2017
Just remembered I have a Hong Kong PSN account too and Battle Garegga is on there so I can check it out after all. I have Jamestown on Steam but not played yet. Thanks for the suggestions guys!

ShinJohnpv

Oct 25, 2017
I'll add Dangun Feveron as a suggestion as well, and ESP Ra De which is my fav shmup of all time. Both should be on the Hong Kong PSN I think. They're definitely on the Japanese one.

a glitch

Dec 12, 2018
It's pretty easy to set up a PSN account for other regions and buy the codes to use on them. Definitely easier than getting my JP Xbox 360 account going. I would highly recommend, it gives you access to so many more great shmups.

Thanks, for some reason I had it in my head that it was quite a hassle to do, but I looked it up and it seems quite easy.

It got a release from Limited Run Games, but that's it.

OK, I'm definitely sticking with digital then. I imagine if there are any physical copies on sale they'll be well outside my price range.

ShinJohnpv

Oct 25, 2017
Some stuff got a physical release in Japan, that you can get off Amazon.co.jp pretty easily. Well if they're still in stock, and the PS4 is region free.

sixteen-bit

Oct 30, 2017
Some stuff got a physical release in Japan, that you can get off Amazon.co.jp pretty easily. Well if they're still in stock, and the PS4 is region free.
Worth noting that since the poster is interested in Battle Garegga Rev. 2016 specifically, the Japan physical release does not include a game disc. If you want a game disc, you'll need to seek out either the South Korean release published by Arc System Works, or Limited Run Game's North American release.

Dangerblade

Oct 25, 2017
I am now looking into buying the LRG edition of Battle Garegga for PS4...I like this thread but my wallet doesn't XD

Deleted member 2620

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Finally 1cc'd DonPachi tonight, lol. It's a little more uneven in terms of its difficulty curve and pacing than DoDonPachi, but it's still pretty generous with bombs. There are some fun tricks to learn with the bosses (like how to deal with the stage 3 boss missiles) and some unique tight moments in stages that will definitely get burned into your memory (those high-HP triangular guys halfway through stage 2, or the complete bait after the warship in stage 4, for example). Everything in it just looks so sick: the late Toaplan badass mechanical pixel art is in full effect on the bosses, the explosions are fluid, and the stage backgrounds have all sorts of neat little details. Bonus points for the goofy and enthusiastic announcer, which is probably the only highlight of the game's audio.

I couldn't tell you the first thing about scoring after all that, since it isn't as up-front about those mechanics as DoDonPachi, but the messy bullet slop in the second loop seems pretty fun.

Oct 27, 2017
congrats! ^
1CCs always feel so good (especially the first time you get it in a new game) and it's been quite awhile since I've attempted any

Deleted member 13560

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Just picked it up.

Heads up.
Resolution caps at 1080p. It's not that big of a deal since this is a sprite based game. But it would be nice to have the game running at your current desktop resolution

It doesn't give you scaling options either.

They do have an online Score Attack mode, but it doesn't save your replays. So if you want legitimacy to your score, you'll have to record or stream your run yourself.

Other than that I don't see any other issues.

Last edited:

Deleted member 9305

Oct 26, 2017
Wings Of Bluestar looks pretty promising:

Are there different scaling options? Integer ratio? The UI elements are native 1080p, but the game looks either filtered to hell or poorly scaled (bilinear maybe?) in the official screenshots.

ss_51db76aedec54930a9d8f6a1817952b23ae6fef9.jpg

Deleted member 13560

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Wings Of Bluestar looks pretty promising:

Are there different scaling options? Integer ratio? The UI elements are native 1080p, but the game looks either filtered to hell or poorly scaled (bilinear maybe?) in the official screenshots.

ss_51db76aedec54930a9d8f6a1817952b23ae6fef9.jpg

There is no scaling option to adjust to screen.

But here's a shot of the filter off.

Edit: went back to check on TATE mode and it looks fine now. I don't know why it was so messed up before on my screen. .

Last edited:

Mr_Bubbles

Jan 28, 2018

Just picked it up.

Heads up.
Resolution caps at 1080p. It's not that big of a deal since this is a sprite based game. But it would be nice to have the game running at your current desktop resolution

It doesn't give you scaling options either.

They do have an online Score Attack mode, but it doesn't save your replays. So if you want legitimacy to your score, you'll have to record or stream your run yourself.

Nice to see these coming to Steam as well.

PepsimanVsJoe

Oct 26, 2017
I've been thinking about Dragon Saber and its phenomenal OST lately.

Shinji Hosoe is an incredible composer no matter the genre.