• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

LiftGammaGain

Oct 29, 2017
Asia-Europe
So Project Starship X... I had the game to get stuck twice on Switch. Once there was a small enemy (ball) stuck on the bottom of the screen and i couldn't hit it. It stood there all the time and the game wouldn't move from there.
Then on stage 4 on the Green Ghost boss (pacman one) i defeated it on my highest score run..and the game gets stuck there. Not good.
And just remember another situation on the Red Mushroom boss also got stuck after i defeated it. Its a bit frustrating. Hope they can iron this up and throw a Tate mode as a bonus. I was feeling like double dip on ps4 but if its also in this state i think ill pass....
It sucks because im really enjoying the game. Im 18th on the leaderboards atm but its a bit frustrating trying to improve with the possibility of getting stuck any moment. Dear developer. Fix this....

steveovig

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Am I allowed to pimp out my Switch friend code in hopes of finding new shmup buddies? It's 4735-7738-5485

eXistor

Oct 27, 2017
Am I allowed to pimp out my Switch friend code in hopes of finding new shmup buddies? It's 4735-7738-5485
I was gonna add you, but turns out you're already in my list :)

Wasn't Final supposed to be pretty decent? IIRC people were generally quite happy with it (but I could be remembering wrong).
I remember liking it okay, but there's a lot of dead time in the game and the many many ships you could play as really wasn't what I wanted out of R-type. Not a bad game at all, just not as good as the other R-types.

Deleted member 9305

Oct 26, 2017
I've been playing this gem a lot lately and just managed a NORMAL 1CC.

Wonderful bullet hell shoot 'em up: art direction, presentation, audio design, soundtrack, character illustrations, everything top notch and well beyond the usual doujin standards. The gameplay is very polished and fresh with added depth, thanks to the unique dyeing system, which allows players to go for max scoring or survival assists.

leder

Oct 25, 2017
Anybody have thoughts on the Castle Shikigami games? Prices are still moderate and they look cool, but I never hear anybody talk about them, for good or ill.

steveovig

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Anybody have thoughts on the Castle Shikigami games? Prices are still moderate and they look cool, but I never hear anybody talk about them, for good or ill.

They're flipping awesome, I love them. You can either get those three or try Sisters Royale, which is the same gameplay mechanics, etc. and made by the same people. All 4 are a blast and each character has a unique set of gameplay mechanics to try out.

leder

Oct 25, 2017
Last edited:

a glitch

Dec 12, 2018
I believe he is referring to the frame rate. Final would take some very hits...

I remember it reviewing well but for my money it's the worst mainline R-Type. Going from Delta to Final to me was like what DMC1 fans must have felt like going to DMC2.

I remember liking it okay, but there's a lot of dead time in the game and the many many ships you could play as really wasn't what I wanted out of R-type. Not a bad game at all, just not as good as the other R-types.

Interesting, for some reason I thought it was God's gift to R-Type fans or something. I've only played R-Type 3 (and was terrible at it) so I'm a bit ignorant when it comes to the rest of the series. I should probably give Dimensions a go since it's been in my Steam library for a long time and I've barely touched it...

Tanston

Nov 29, 2017
I picked up Habroxia 2 and I'm really enjoying it. The boss fights are pretty fun and the twin stick shooter style controls while they take awhile to get used to really add a unique twist. I am also really liking the special weapons you can swap in and out they provide nice variety. The hidden branching paths concept is also pretty neat and adds some replay value in a super mario world kind of way.

Most of all though I love the upgrade system. Maybe this is blasphemy but I really only enjoy this type of game these days if there is some kind of upgrade system. I devoured the sky force games and this one has me just as hooked. Only negative really is the levels so far feel pretty monotonous and kind of generic. The retro chiptunes are pretty spot on though good stuff there. So yeah really great game i'm loving it. Take my opinion with a huge grain of salt though as I am not a hardcore shmup fan and only dip into the genre occasionally.

Because I can already feel this game is going to be over way too soon can anyone recommend any other shmups with upgrades/power creep ?

Deleted member 9305

Oct 26, 2017
Because I can already feel this game is going to be over way too soon can anyone recommend any other shmups with upgrades/power creep ?
BYTEPATH is likely the craziest upgrade shooter I know. Below is its "skill tree". Coming up with game breaking combos is very satisfing.

B08950566A5D2C5E9E1AB103BD8EBB2A7B001856

Plume

Jul 6, 2020
I got the Aleste Collection recently and I'm just in love with the GG games. Fantastic little shooters. Does anyone have any recommendations for shmups that are similar? I think the thing that's grabbing me with the GG Aleste series is that they feel very fast and exciting, but are pretty tame when it comes to gameplay and scoring mechanics. I also love the invincibility when grabbing powerups, and the power up system is reminiscent of Cave Story (gaining exp to level up your weapon, and then leveling down one stage when getting hit). Great stuff!

1upsuper

Jan 30, 2018
I got the Aleste Collection recently and I'm just in love with the GG games. Fantastic little shooters. Does anyone have any recommendations for shmups that are similar? I think the thing that's grabbing me with the GG Aleste series is that they feel very fast and exciting, but are pretty tame when it comes to gameplay and scoring mechanics. I also love the invincibility when grabbing powerups, and the power up system is reminiscent of Cave Story (gaining exp to level up your weapon, and then leveling down one stage when getting hit). Great stuff!
Beyond just more Compile games, I'd recommend Summer Carnival 92: Recca, Nexzr, and ChoRenSha 68k. Recca is on the 3DS virtual console and ChoRenSha is freeware available on Windows. As for Nexzr, good luck.

rawhide

Oct 28, 2017

You should try the other Aleste games, first off--the obvious next steps are M.U.S.H.A. for Genesis (which is on the Japanese Mega Drive Mini, but not the English version) and Space Megaforce for SNES. There's also Aleste games for the MSX, as well as a Sega CD game, but I'd argue they're less essential.

The Aleste games are rooted in a slightly older game called Zanac, which came out on NES, and Compile has several other shooters in the same vein, most notably Blazing Lazers for Turbografx-16 and Seirei Senshi Spriggan for PC Engine (both of which are on the TG16/PCE Mini alongside many other Compile-esque shmups that you'd probably enjoy).

Some of the more prominent Aleste series developers formed a company called Raizing which made quite a few arcade games, including Mahou Daisakusen which plays extremely similarly to Aleste--M2 released this game on PS4 in Japan a few years ago and at this point it doesn't seem like it'll be released overseas.

魔法大作戦

内容の説明 「数々のヒット作を生み出したエイティングの歴史は、ここから始まった…」 1993年。アーケードを熱狂させた究極のファンタジーシューティングがコンシューマゲーム機に初登場!! 魔法と鋼(メカ)の世界で、個性豊かな戦士たちが大暴れ! 今回は第三弾となる「エムツーショットトリガーズ」ならではのAC版完全再現だけでなく、初心者でも世界観を十分に楽しめるイージーモードやキャラクターの魅力をより引き出した新モードも搭載!大好評の攻略サポート機能「M2ガジェット」は劇・的・進・化!全ての要素が『魔法大作戦』をより一層エキサイティングに!新次元に突入した『魔法大作戦』を君の目で確かめろ!...

Last edited:

Plume

Jul 6, 2020
Beyond just more Compile games, I'd recommend Summer Carnival 92: Recca, Nexzr, and ChoRenSha 68k. Recca is on the 3DS virtual console and ChoRenSha is freeware available on Windows. As for Nexzr, good luck.
You should try the other Aleste games, first off--the obvious next steps are M.U.S.H.A. for Genesis (which is on the Japanese Mega Drive Mini, but not the English version) and Space Megaforce for SNES. There's also Aleste games for the MSX, as well as a Sega CD game, but I'd argue they're less essential.

The Aleste games are rooted in a slightly older game called Zanac, which came out on NES, and Compile has several other shooters in the same vein, most notably Blazing Lazers for Turbografx-16 and Seirei Senshi Spriggan for PC Engine (both of which are on the TG16/PCE Mini alongside many other Compile-esque shmups that you'd probably enjoy).

Some of the more prominent Aleste series developers formed a company called Raizing which made quite a few arcade games, including Mahou Daisakusen which plays extremely similarly to Aleste--M2 released this game on PS4 in Japan a few years ago and at this point it doesn't seem like it'll be released overseas.

魔法大作戦

内容の説明 「数々のヒット作を生み出したエイティングの歴史は、ここから始まった…」 1993年。アーケードを熱狂させた究極のファンタジーシューティングがコンシューマゲーム機に初登場!! 魔法と鋼(メカ)の世界で、個性豊かな戦士たちが大暴れ! 今回は第三弾となる「エムツーショットトリガーズ」ならではのAC版完全再現だけでなく、初心者でも世界観を十分に楽しめるイージーモードやキャラクターの魅力をより引き出した新モードも搭載!大好評の攻略サポート機能「M2ガジェット」は劇・的・進・化!全ての要素が『魔法大作戦』をより一層エキサイティングに!新次元に突入した『魔法大作戦』を君の目で確かめろ!...

Thanks for the recommendations, y'all! Definitely already had my eye on the rest of the series, and good to know Compile shooters in general are similar. Gonna check all these out!
I had no idea either that Raizing/8ing is former Compile staff, that's cool!

el3m

Oct 27, 2017
I'd like to get the Battle Garegga and Dangun Feveron M2 ports for my Xbox Series X, for some weird reason they're out in Europe but only in Germany. Should I just create a new profile with Germany as location or would just changing my main profile temporarily work? I'd rather not risk my ~30 months of Game Pass Ultimate or create some other kinds of hassle for my main account.

SharpX68K

Nov 10, 2017
Chicagoland
I am just glad that R-type Final II finally got release date.

Me too.

I'm currently enjoying my all-time favorites, especially various versions of Life Force/Salamander, Thunder Force IV, Darius Gaiden.

Also, and because looking back, the Famicom version of Gradius II was incredible for the platform. It's a game that I keep coming back to, that fascinated me as a teenager in 1989, because it was already available on the NES in Japan, the Famicom, as of 1988, and that it was superior to both Gradius and Lifeforce on the NES in graphics and sound, thanks to a special chip in the cartridge. While it was a direct sequel to Gradius, though, and not "Life Force 2", the graphically awesome solar flare & prominence level in NES Life Force was expanded on for the version of Gradius II for Nintendo, and it was even more impressive...Electronic Gaming Monthly was telling & showing us, and they took the time to do a full feature the next month after the first look.

ZgPJYBW.jpg

qaoPmuc.jpg

yq7RGol.jpg

GamePro featured Gradius II in one issue, a 4 page feature including artwork, which I'll edit in later.

Play through, commentary.

At the point in time (June/July 1989) the Sega Genesis and TurboGrafx-16 had yet to launch and.. Most of us here in the U.S. all we had that was were 8-bitNES or Master System, maybe a C64 or Amiga. The Super NES was a pipe dream at that point.If your parents had the means (they did) or the will (mine did not) to get the Mega Drive or PC Engine, that played better looking games than Famicom Gradius II, However the idea of importing console from Japan was unheard of to me at 13 years old.

Anyway, it wasn't until many years later, maybe 1999 or 2000, that I finally got to experience Famicom Gradius II, after drooling over it 10 years earlier. I was just starting to use emulators. It wasn't too long, maybe 2000 where I played through the entire game. To this day I am convinced that Gradius II Famicom is the finest shmup on Nintendo's 8-bit platform in Japan or America. I say that, not having grown up with the NES, but rather, an Apple ][e, an Atari 7800, and Sega Master System, all and only by early-mid 1989,being blown away by R-TYPE on the Master System and already a fan of Life Force on the NES thanks to a classmate/friend in my suburb who owned an NES and an Atari 5200.

R-Type and Life Force were my favorite shmups in the late 80s. Yet by the end of 1990, were were in the middle of the great "16-bit shmup glut" :)

Last edited:

Outrun

Oct 30, 2017
Anyone ever play Delta Armalyte for the C64?

I remember playing the game at my friend's place decades ago.

Deleted member 9305

Oct 26, 2017
I played Armalyte back in its days. Great game and it made really good use of the C64.

OnanieBomb

Oct 25, 2017
I picked up Omega Fighter since it was on sale and I'm trying to cultivate some experience with "non-bullet hell" type stuff.

I ask you, is there a shmup with a more annoying firing sound that this one? The laser (I think) is just awful.

The game seems cool so far though. It's nice to dust off the ol Flip Grip as well.

LiftGammaGain

Oct 29, 2017
Asia-Europe
I picked up Omega Fighter since it was on sale and I'm trying to cultivate some experience with "non-bullet hell" type stuff.

I ask you, is there a shmup with a more annoying firing sound that this one? The laser (I think) is just awful.

The game seems cool so far though. It's nice to dust off the ol Flip Grip as well.

Im a Omega Fighter preacher. Love the game. Yeah laser sound is a bit annoying, but i guess you get used to it.

Tip: shoot close to your enemies to get 10x multiplier. The closer you are the higher is the score and multiplier. You can destroy enemies with the ship back fire/trail. Brown small squares give you bombs while the white give you time slow down manipulation. You can check the bar above the screen to see how many multiplier you need for the next bomb.
In case you have to items attached you can't select wich one to use, so you automatically use the one you got in first place. Laser is the way to go but spread shot is useful in some situations but it takes a few upgrades to make it strong.

OnanieBomb

Oct 25, 2017
Im a Omega Fighter preacher. Love the game. Yeah laser sound is a bit annoying, but i guess you get used to it.

Tip: shoot close to your enemies to get 10x multiplier. The closer you are the higher is the score and multiplier. You can destroy enemies with the ship back fire/trail. Brown small squares give you bombs while the white give you time slow down manipulation. You can check the bar above the screen to see how many multiplier you need for the next bomb.
In case you have to items attached you can't select wich one to use, so you automatically use the one you got in first place. Laser is the way to go but spread shot is useful in some situations but it takes a few upgrades to make it strong.

Thank you for the excellent tips! Which screen filter do you prefer? Ive landed on B2 (I think) as the preference for now

LiftGammaGain

Oct 29, 2017
Asia-Europe
Thank you for the excellent tips! Which screen filter do you prefer? Ive landed on B2 (I think) as the preference for now

Hey no problem!
I usually use A1on ACA releases... Its not perfect.. but when seen side by side with my cab monitor... Seems the more reasonable to my eyes :)

You can also 1 hit kill bosses with 1 smart bomb. So take that in mind if you get hold of one. Hope you enjoy the game, i was totally not aware of it until this release and fell in love completely.

2 videos i recommended if you want to check some nice gameplay. You can see how close you can get to enemies (even get them by side! ) or how to approach the beginning of stage 3 with all those mine fields.

OnanieBomb

Oct 25, 2017
Hey no problem!
I usually use A1on ACA releases... Its not perfect.. but when seen side by side with my cab monitor... Seems the more reasonable to my eyes :)

You can also 1 hit kill bosses with 1 smart bomb. So take that in mind if you get hold of one. Hope you enjoy the game, i was totally not aware of it until this release and fell in love completely.

2 videos i recommended if you want to check some nice gameplay. You can see how close you can get to enemies (even get them by side! ) or how to approach the beginning of stage 3 with all those mine fields.

Very cool, thanks again

SharpX68K

Nov 10, 2017
Chicagoland
I got Konami Arcade Classics Arcade Classics Anniversary Collection, the Contra Anniversary Collection, and ACA Bells & Whistles (the 1991 Twinbee arcade sequel to with nice 16-bit graphics)

So far been playing a lot of Contra and Gradius/Nemesis. Man I forgot how much I dug Contra. I really wish Contra 4 from the DS had been part of the collection.

Have to remember to try Thunder Cross today.

And have yet pick up Omega Fighter. That's next to get as far as ACA releases.

I did preorder a copy of R-Type Final 2 Inaugural Flight Edition on PS4. I should receive it on release day.

Timu

Oct 25, 2017
I got Konami Arcade Classics Arcade Classics Anniversary Collection, the Contra Anniversary Collection, and ACA Bells & Whistles (the 1991 Twinbee arcade sequel to with nice 16-bit graphics)

So far been playing a lot of Contra and Gradius/Nemesis. Man I forgot how much I dug Contra. I really wish Contra 4 from the DS had been part of the collection.

I did preorder a copy of R-Type Final 2 Inaugural Flight Edition on PS4. I should receive it on release day.
Yep, such a fantastic game. Hell I had to get my Nintendo DS modded to even do direct video capture from it. Wish it was on newer systems.

LiftGammaGain

Oct 29, 2017
Asia-Europe

Got TwinBee Bells and Whistles as well but played it very little. One to dive in soon.

Also got recently the Contra collection on sale, mainly to have a prestine HD version of Nes Contra and Hard Corps. 👍🏻

LiftGammaGain

Oct 29, 2017
Asia-Europe
That reminds me, is Blazing Chrome worth getting on Steam?

Well I found it just ok... Nothing like Hard Corps to me..or even Contra 4. I mean you play the first stage, does a decent job of setting the tone... but then... It gets a bit boring actually. Enemy verieaty is a big issue and weapon choices are not interesting...i prefer the default shot to anything else. Stage design, pacing not that good.it tries so hard to be like Contra... But well just my opinion. Its worth a look for sure. The control feels really good, tight and responsive. Look forward to what you think.

Last edited:

SharpX68K

Nov 10, 2017
Chicagoland
Well I found it just ok... Nothing like Hard Corps to me..or even Contra 4. I mean you play the first stage, does a decent job of setting the tone... but then... It gets a bit boring actually. Enemy verieaty is a big issue and weapon choices are not interesting...i prefer the default shot to anything else. Stage design, pacing not that good.it tries so hard to be like Contra... But well just my opinion. Its worth a look for sure. The control feels really good, tight and responsive. Look forward to what you think.

I'm finding the gameplay decent and the visuals awesome. Like a Mega Drive home game but with beefier graphics - But I say that as someone who has only spent maybe 1 hour hour total casually playing Hard Corps, and only owned Contra III and 4 on the SNES and DS respectively.

I like to play a lot of the old, less-popular/successful, but-still-decent Run 'n Gun games of the 16-bit era, some of which were actual coin-ops.
i.e. Midnight Resistance and Thunder Fox. Usually the 80s style military themed ones. I also missed a lot of the late MD/Genesis era masterpieces like Gunstar Heroes and Alien Soldier. I think I need to check out Mega Turrican, Super Turrican/Super Turrican 2. I think there's a Universal Soldier game that is actually one of the Turrican games. I didn't follow these types of games too closely in the 8-bit and 16-bit days. Until 1992, the only Contra games I had played were the NES version that a friend had, and Super Contra in arcades. I owned Midnight Resistance on the Genesis and Contra III on the SNES. That's about it. More than anything though, I remember reading one of the 1989 GamePro issues that showed Contra's levels and bosses, and playing it and Life Force with my friend. I don't think I saw the original arcade Contra cab and if I did, I didn't play it. I play through Super Contra arcade once. I put a ton of quarters into Aliens (1990) though and still love it.

Cthulhu_Steev

Oct 27, 2017

Last time I tried Blazing Chrome I found the default controls unplayable (on stick) and there was no option to change them.

I'm finding the gameplay decent and the visuals awesome. Like a Mega Drive home game but with beefier graphics - But I say that as someone who has only spent maybe 1 hour hour total casually playing Hard Corps, and only owned Contra III and 4 on the SNES and DS respectively.

I like to play a lot of the old, less-popular/successful, but-still-decent Run 'n Gun games of the 16-bit era, some of which were actual coin-ops.
i.e. Midnight Resistance and Thunder Fox. Usually the 80s style military themed ones. I also missed a lot of the late MD/Genesis era masterpieces like Gunstar Heroes and Alien Soldier. I think I need to check out Mega Turrican, Super Turrican/Super Turrican 2. I think there's a Universal Soldier game that is actually one of the Turrican games. I didn't follow these types of games too closely in the 8-bit and 16-bit days. Until 1992, the only Contra games I had played were the NES version that a friend had, and Super Contra in arcades. I owned Midnight Resistance on the Genesis and Contra III on the SNES. That's about it. More than anything though, I remember reading one of the 1989 GamePro issues that showed Contra's levels and bosses, and playing it and Life Force with my friend. I don't think I saw the original arcade Contra cab and if I did, I didn't play it. I play through Super Contra arcade once. I put a ton of quarters into Aliens (1990) though and still love it.

I have you tried Gunners Heaven/Rapid Reload on PS1, or Ur-Metal Slug game, Gunforce on SNES?