• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Good game that I could buy on Steam or PS4 to start playing shoot en ups in a more competitive way?

Deleted member 34711

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 28, 2017
Yeah I grabbed Infinite Burst, it's been on my wishlist for years.

edit
ehhhhh I'm going to refund Bullet Soul. I'm getting crashes and weird TATE behavior.

Good game that I could buy on Steam or PS4 to start playing shoot en ups in a more competitive way?
IMO this isn't an easy question to answer, but Crimzon Clover is inexpensive, fairly straightforward, and has a good reputation. So I'd start there?

Or Ikaruga. Always recommend Ikaruga.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
Question is a bit easier if it's someone trying to get into the genre for the first time, but from a competitive aspect I'd say find a scoring system that you like so that you can sink a buttload of time into it without getting burned out.

Like I really enjoy playing games like mushihimesama, ikaruga, and other similar titles - but I don't enjoy trying to play those games for score.

On the other hand there are a lot of people love those scoring systems. Kind of subjective :O

Edit: I'm assuming you mean competitive as in submitting scores on steam leaderboards, restart syndrome, the shmup forums, etc

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Question is a bit easier if it's someone trying to get into the genre for the first time, but from a competitive aspect I'd say find a scoring system that you like so that you can sink a buttload of time into it without getting burned out.

Like I really enjoy playing games like mushihimesama, ikaruga, and other similar titles - but I don't enjoy trying to play those games for score.

On the other hand there are a lot of people love those scoring systems. Kind of subjective :O

Edit: I'm assuming you mean competitive as in submitting scores on steam leaderboards, restart syndrome, the shmup forums, etc

Yeah, how you pointed out, I don't really want to do that yet, should have phrased myself better.

Want a shootemup that isn't that hard to learn how to 1CC, I know that I wouldn't do this in ultra hard now, but I just want something where I learn how to approach this kind of games

Fancolours

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, how you pointed out, I don't really want to do that yet, should have phrased myself better.

Want a shootemup that isn't that hard to learn how to 1CC, I know that I wouldn't do this in ultra hard now, but I just want something where I learn how to approach this kind of games
I can personally recommend Mushihimesama, Desthsmiles, Neko Navy, Touhou Fantastic Danmaku Festival and QP Shooting as games that are not particularly difficult to learn to 1cc on their standard difficulties, but aren't too easy either for people who are new to the genre.

Blue Wish Ressurection is a good freeware alternative as it has a very forgiving extend requirements and slowdowns are plenty.

1upsuper

Jan 30, 2018

Are you more interested in classic-style shmups (with faster bullets that actually target you), or bullet hells? Do you have a preference between vertical and horizontal games?

Oct 27, 2017
This won't exactly be what you're looking for, but I think mecha ritz: steel rondo does a fantastic job of adapting to your skill level, adjusting difficulty, and being fun for scoring while being a somewhat easy clear depending on how well you're doing. A con could be that the visual style could be seen as offputting but I found the whole experience enjoyable.

As mentioned in a prior post crimson clover is quite nice. On the easier difficulties it's a challenging but fun clear but it ramps up significantly on higher difficulties

rawhide

Oct 28, 2017
As far as PS4 goes, I'd say wait for Ketsui, which comes out in Japan at the end of November. Any of the M2 ShotTriggers are fine, really, but Ketsui's probably the easiest to get a feel for.

As for Steam, Mushihimesama and Dodonpachi Resurrection are fine intros to the genre. Mushihimesama Original mode in particular is a good entrypoint to Cave's games.

Lakeside

Oct 25, 2017
As far as PS4 goes, I'd say wait for Ketsui, which comes out in Japan at the end of November. Any of the M2 ShotTriggers are fine, really, but Ketsui's probably the easiest to get a feel for.

As for Steam, Mushihimesama and Dodonpachi Resurrection are fine intros to the genre. Mushihimesama Original mode in particular is a good entrypoint to Cave's games.

DDP Resurrection is fabulous as an entry bc some of the modes are pretty easy when playing for survival rather than score. My kids got a good bit of mileage out of that PCB.

Darkmaigle

Oct 25, 2017
Is Bullet Soul IB supposed to be easy? I played it for the first time and got to the secret boss almost my first 1CC ever.

clippa

Apr 18, 2018
Yeah, it can be easy if you're playing for survival, depending on which character you play, but the fun is when you start playing for score.

It's all about juggling the risk/reward. The higher up the screen you are when you kill an enemy, the faster your gauge fills up, so you want to try and play as aggressively as possible, hyper as much as you can, gobble every coin you see, keep an eye out for secret bonuses and remember them for your next playthrough.
You get a big score payout for finishing, so you have to be careful not to take too many risks and end up dying before you finish.

Darkmaigle

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, it can be easy if you're playing for survival, depending on which character you play, but the fun is when you start playing for score.

It's all about juggling the risk/reward. The higher up the screen you are when you kill an enemy, the faster your gauge fills up, so you want to try and play as aggressively as possible, hyper as much as you can, gobble every coin you see, keep an eye out for secret bonuses and remember them for your next playthrough.
You get a big score payout for finishing, so you have to be careful not to take too many risks and end up dying before you finish.

Ah cool, I honestly was just messing around trying to get a feel for it after picking it up while it was on sale. Neat little game.

clippa

Apr 18, 2018
Wow, Black Bird is fantastic! It is digital movement controls, but you move slowly in the direction you're facing if you stay still (but not during bosses).

Don't quote me on this but I think the idea is to build up to max combo and then take out as many enemies as possible with your bomb. I think that's where I was getting most of my score from.

True mode bumps up the difficulty and then some. It's really good fun finding all the little secret bonuses. Gorgeous little thing and the music is amazing.

Deleted member 9305

Oct 26, 2017
Wow, Black Bird is fantastic! It is digital movement controls, but you move slowly in the direction you're facing if you stay still (but not during bosses).

Don't quote me on this but I think the idea is to build up to max combo and then take out as many enemies as possible with your bomb. I think that's where I was getting most of my score from.

True mode bumps up the difficulty and then some. It's really good fun finding all the little secret bonuses. Gorgeous little thing and the music is amazing.
I've noticed all screenshots being 720p. Is the game locked to that?

clippa

Apr 18, 2018
It's running at 1080 on my monitor when I go fullscreen, it doesn't change resolution, but I think it's just scaling up from 720.

sixteen-bit

Oct 30, 2017
Speaking of which, is Strania still 720p on Steam? I already have it on Xbox, but wound't mind picking it up at the current sale price if it's an improvement in some way.

SharpX68K

Nov 10, 2017
Chicagoland
What's this?

Looks like the inspiration comes directly from Thunder Force III and IV.

kHTXrZE.jpg

https://twitter.com/shmups/status/1057206242421092353

Deleted member 34711

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 28, 2017
Anyone here tried Senko no Ronde 2 on PC? It runs terribly for me unless I play in a dropped resolution window. It should not be causing me this much trouble when I can run bigger games at max settings.

Performance and insufferable animeishness aside, the game is oddly compelling. Need to give it more time.

Darkmaigle

Oct 25, 2017
Just wanna take a moment to remind you all that Crimson Clover is super fucking good in case you had forgotten.

Deleted member 9305

Oct 26, 2017
I asked in the Steam forum of Blackbird regarding the full screen scaling. The dev confirmed locked 720p internal rendering, but they do use integer-ratio scalling with nearest neighbor. That's really good news, it means everything remains sharp&crisp even at 4K and beyond.

SharpX68K

Nov 10, 2017
Chicagoland
Hey, this is a pretty neat side scrolling shmup, Xadlak by Sprite Team, for the X68000,

It was later ported to PC as Xadlak Plus, with some changes and improvements, although fewer levels.

DNgamers

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
Steredenn Binary Stars on Switch is fun!! Makes sense mixing the roguelite formula with shmups! Any similar games you guys would recommend? Then again I'll be having fun with this for a while. I never got much further than halfway.

Deleted member 9305

Oct 26, 2017
Black Bird cleared, it's such a delight. The game isn't very hard, but the better you play, the more ridiculous things get. I will probably revisit this one forever.

Fancolours

Oct 25, 2017
Played some more Bullet Soul, I'm really digging the punching ship. Accidentally got to the secret boss and almost made into the leaderboards. It's a delight so far, shame it doesn't seem to have sold very well. I can definitely recommend it the next time it goes on sale.

PepsimanVsJoe

Oct 26, 2017
My review of NGDEV's Fast Striker has been posted - http://www.cubed3.com/review/5172/1/fast-striker-playstation-4.html

-------

So VRITRA - Complete Edition managed to completely slip under my radar. Originally it came out back in August, but I didn't even know of its existence until last week.

I wasn't sure what to think going in. Apparently this game was originally developed for cellphones.
Thankfully my concerns were quickly put to rest. This is a very solid and enjoyable shmup.

Hopefully I'll have a full review for it later this week.

So for whatever odd reason, Game a-cho put up a 9 hour long video of Darius Gaiden's attract mode
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S6k6zdNuH4Q
If you skip ahead a few hours you can see a couple games being played.

clippa

Apr 18, 2018
Just hang on my every word and dream of me when you go to sleep at night, it isn't too much to ask.

Ooh, that's a nice surprise, there's already more than enough there.

Deleted member 9305

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah, everybody needs to get Black Bird and gush about it like they did ZeroRanger, I reckon.
Agreed, Black Bird is really well tuned. The constant back and forth of risk/rewards, while keeping your greed in check. It's so amazing to pump up your bird and trigger the bomb on a full screen of peasants, so satisfying. That "final form", lol. The art direction, music, tons of details and little animations, it's really a stellar package.

Seraphis Cain

Oct 25, 2017
So now that it's been out for a bit, any impressions of Fast Striker? Thinking about it since it's pretty cheap, but Ketsui's coming at the end of the month and I'd rather just put the money towards that if it's not great.

1upsuper

Jan 30, 2018
What's this?

Yeah, Black Bird is awesome. The Love-de-lic guys made/make great stuff.

Looks like the inspiration comes directly from Thunder Force III and IV.

https://twitter.com/shmups/status/1057206242421092353

This looks right up my alley. Very cool!
Just wanna take a moment to remind you all that Crimson Clover is super fucking good in case you had forgotten.
I know Crimzon Clover is a beloved bullet hell but it is truly one of the most visually repulsive and cacophonous games I have ever played. Gaudy medals falling everywhere is already an instant turn-off for me so CC was like a nightmare. I'll take Helsinker over CC any day.
Hey, this is a pretty neat side scrolling shmup, Xadlak by Sprite Team, for the X68000,

It was later ported to PC as Xadlak Plus, with some changes and improvements, although fewer levels.

Looks good to me, and it's on DLsite. I'll probably pick it up. Wonder why the PC version has fewer levels though. :/

Unseen

Oct 28, 2017
Yes! This reminds me: can anyone vouch that if you're itching for something similar to CC's style, The Hurricane of the Varstray gets the job done? Been a while but I remember it nicely carrying over the excitingly busy, exaggerated visuals of raining medals and boost mode filling the playfield. Not to mention overall solid gameplay.

Or alternatively one should note to ignore Varstray if CC wasn't comfortable.