• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

japtor

Jan 19, 2018
Sorry about that, I'll put them in quotes so they don't use up so much bandwidth.
I think they're all still there full resolution in quotes, it just displays smaller, but it doesn't actually resize the image. (Unless I'm thinking of something of another forum, if it strips the IMG tags so they're just links that'll be fine of course)

Best bet is an album grouping for whatever related set of images and just link that.

SharpX68K

Nov 10, 2017
Chicagoland
I was super disappointed in Robo Aleste, though. It's just not fun at all.

IT SHALL BE MINE
and yeah took me a while to find robo for a good price and it's...way harder and less fun than MUSHA sadly

And Robo wasn't as impressive as MUSHA either, at least not for the hardware its on. Maybe it used real hardware scaling (Mega-CD was capable of it) but where was the multi-layered parallax scrolling....Nothing in Robo Aleste is comparable to MUSHA's level 3.

Agent Unknown

Oct 26, 2017
Was really hoping M2 would get back to Raizing games again with either Batrider or Bakraid but ESP Ra. De. finally getting a home port after 20 years is exciting news. Just hope it doesn't have issues and take over a year and a half to release like Ketsui.

And yeah, what did happen to R-TYPE as an Arcade Archive title? Really wish Hamster would start putting their non-Neo Geo arcade titles on Switch. Does R-TYPE Dimensions have the actual arcade game or is that just a graphical skin?

Also, what's the best place to order the physical edition Ketsui other than Amazon Japan? I've used Amazon Japan before and it's great as an import option but would rather order from a U.S. source this time assuming I wouldn't be missing out on whatever extras there are that weren't exclusive to Prime Jpn pre-orders.

Last edited:

phanboy4

Oct 27, 2017
i finally picked up
HWGzMYgh.jpg

Nice. I understand people that don't like how it plays, but I love the music and look of it an awful lot.

rawhide

Oct 28, 2017
And yeah, what did happen to R-TYPE as an Arcade Archive title? Really wish Hamster would start putting their non-Neo Geo arcade titles on Switch. Does R-TYPE Dimensions have the actual arcade game or is that just a graphical skin?

Hamster's put a bunch of non-Neo Geo arcade games on Switch, not just Nintendo games but lots of others as well, maybe two-thirds of what's available on PS4 is there and it's mostly games that launched on PS4 before Switch was a thing that are missing.

Their most recent update had a few SNK and Sunsoft games, but also Image Fight.

R-Type Dimensions is ports of the overseas versions of R-Type 1 & 2 with a graphical toggle between old & new graphics. They're generally fine ports but they're not exact.

Agent Unknown

Oct 26, 2017
Hamster's put a bunch of non-Neo Geo arcade games on Switch, not just Nintendo games but lots of others as well, maybe two-thirds of what's available on PS4 is there and it's mostly games that launched on PS4 before Switch was a thing that are missing.

Their most recent update had a few SNK and Sunsoft games, but also Image Fight.

I should have worded that better, am also familiar of course with their ACA Nintendo releases, had no idea about Image Fight and that there were Sunsoft titles now and I check the eShop updates on both the NA and Japan shops every week, go figure. I really wish they'd get more PS4 ACA games on there like Gradius 1&2 and Bubble Bobble.

Edit: Not seeing Image Fight or any Sunsoft ACA titles so far searching the store, did you mean they're TBA?

R-Type Dimensions is ports of the overseas versions of R-Type 1 & 2 with a graphical toggle between old & new graphics. They're generally fine ports but they're not exact.

Thanks for the clarification.

Last edited:

Saoshyant

Oct 25, 2017
Portugal
There's going to be a third Psikyo collection for the Switch. This time it includes Strikers1945 Ⅲ, Sengoku Cannon, Gunbarich and Zero Gunner 2.

rawhide

Oct 28, 2017
Edit: Not seeing Image Fight or any Sunsoft ACA titles so far searching the store, did you mean they're TBA?

Sorry, yeah, I meant they're on the latest schedule they showed on their livestream... iirc it's Route-16, Athena, Ikari Warriors then Image Fight, but they don't drop every week so who knows how long it'll take.

My guess is the pre-Switch contracts with the likes of Konami and Taito require renegotiation for Switch releases and they just haven't gotten around to it yet.

rawhide

Oct 28, 2017
Seemed OK to me when I played them on 360, what are the differences?

Just little collision issues here and there, from memory. If you're a casual player then there's no reason not to get this version, IMO.

This new port adds lots of casual-friendly features as well; infinite lives, instant respawn, a stage select, etc.

japtor

Jan 19, 2018
There's going to be a third Psikyo collection for the Switch. This time it includes Strikers1945 Ⅲ, Sengoku Cannon, Gunbarich and Zero Gunner 2.
Ooh, played Strikers 1945 III in college and got the high score after a few months (one of the rare games that kept high score across power cycles). Never did 1CC it (1st loop) though, always died on the last boss.

How's Zero Gunner 2- nowadays? I don't expect it to be accurate, but any major/glaring playability issues with it?

Agent Unknown

Oct 26, 2017

Nice! I'm surprised they announced a physical version of Strikers 1945 III before it even has a release date for eShop, I wonder if it will be exclusive in order to get more people to buy the collection? I used to own the PCB for Strikers 1945 III and regrettably sold it many years ago before PCB prices exploded so am really happy I'll finally get an affordable, official way to play it again. Best part of that game was the timed cores on the bosses which you let you do one hit kills if you were quick enough.

Sorry, yeah, I meant they're on the latest schedule they showed on their livestream... iirc it's Route-16, Athena, Ikari Warriors then Image Fight, but they don't drop every week so who knows how long it'll take.

My guess is the pre-Switch contracts with the likes of Konami and Taito require renegotiation for Switch releases and they just haven't gotten around to it yet.

That makes sense, I just hope it happens eventually because I want some Gradius and Bubble Bobble action on my Switch so bad. I also forgot Rygar was on Switch ACA.

japtor

Jan 19, 2018
Nice! I'm surprised they announced a physical version of Strikers 1945 III before it even has a release date for eShop, I wonder if it will be exclusive in order to get more people to buy the collection? I used to own the PCB for Strikers 1945 III and regrettably sold it many years ago before PCB prices exploded so am really happy I'll finally get an affordable, official way to play it again. Best part of that game was the timed cores on the bosses which you let you do one hit kills if you were quick enough.
Dragon Blaze has the same tech bonus boss mechanic btw, instead of point blanking the core you launch your dragon into it.

Deleted member 5956

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
And yes, all of these are playable in MAME, including Wing Force.

We should all be really thankful that Shou won the auction (at great cost) for the prototype of Wing Force and then immediately released the dump for everyone to experience in MAME. Without him it could have easily fallen into the hands of private collector to never see the light of day again.

SharpX68K

Nov 10, 2017
Chicagoland
We should all be really thankful that Shou won the auction (at great cost) for the prototype of Wing Force and then immediately released the dump for everyone to experience in MAME. Without him it could have easily fallen into the hands of private collector to never see the light of day again.

That is so true, isn't it? I'm thankful that Shou put everyone else first before anything. Amazing.

Agent Unknown

Oct 26, 2017
Dragon Blaze has the same tech bonus boss mechanic btw, instead of point blanking the core you launch your dragon into it.

Oh right! Totally forgot that.

Lately I've been playing these arcade vertical shooters, some that are very well-known, others not so well known

sRqmDR6.jpg

jgxJae3.jpg

M1hEiv2.jpg

XNzdyuY.jpg

And yes, all of these are playable in MAME, including Wing Force.

Wow, I seriously need to check these out. Great scans.

Edit: That Viper Phase 1 scan reminds me that there was a hotel I stayed at in Rochester, MN several years ago which had a Viper Phase 1 cabinet in the pool area, only time I've been able to play the game. Was a treat, wonder if it's still there.

Last edited:

japtor

Jan 19, 2018
Yeah...you gotta just use links or have actual resized thumbnails (which Imgur can auto generate iirc) if you're going to embed anything.

Agent Unknown

Oct 26, 2017
Play Asia has the Ketsui PS4 physical edition with DLC and art book for $62.99, is that a mark up over the Japanese release? Also never ordered from them before, how is their service overall?

Oct 27, 2017
Not a fan of play-asia. Starting with my asian demon's souls preorder back in feb 2009 I started having issues with them cancelling my orders, and even though they were fine for a dozen+ purchases prior I stopped using them after this occured a couple more times. In that situation I preordered in December 2008 and I was sent an email a couple days after the release date stating that they had to cancel my preorder since they didn't have enough copies.

In all honesty they're probably fine but I dont give them any more of my business.

Agent Unknown

Oct 26, 2017
Not a fan of play-asia. Starting with my asian demon's souls preorder back in feb 2009 I started having issues with them cancelling my orders, and even though they were fine for a dozen+ purchases prior I stopped using them after this occured a couple more times. In that situation I preordered in December 2008 and I was sent an email a couple days after the release date stating that they had to cancel my preorder since they didn't have enough copies.

In all honesty they're probably fine but I dont give them any more of my business.

They're also alt-right jerkoffs on top of everything else.

Yikes, thanks for the warnings. Any good U.S. import sources? Game doesn't seem to be listed on NCSX's site and I tried calling them a few times recently and phone # just rings to a super generic voicemail, wonder if they're still in business?

rawhide

Oct 28, 2017
I'll have to look at who else has the game on offer, but I know the book is a first-print bonus and not a retailer-specific thing. The other stores do have bonuses, though, like fake PCB boxes and so on.

rawhide

Oct 28, 2017
They're fine in the sense that you will probably eventually get what you order if you're willing to press them but I've never had a smooth experience with them and I know plenty of people who ave had similarly poor experiences, and this was all before they outed themselves as gamergate-baiting morons. People can do as they please but I'd never recommend them in the presence of other options.

Lakeside

Oct 25, 2017
They're fine in the sense that you will probably eventually get what you order if you're willing to press them but I've never had a smooth experience with them and I know plenty of people who ave had similarly poor experiences, and this was all before they outed themselves as gamergate-baiting morons. People can do as they please but I'd never recommend them in the presence of other options.

Sorry to hear you had a bad experience. I own an Acura that's been problematic. Clearly nobody should ever buy one.

ShinJohnpv

Oct 25, 2017
Play Asia has the Ketsui PS4 physical edition with DLC and art book for $62.99, is that a mark up over the Japanese release? Also never ordered from them before, how is their service overall?

That's more than I pre-ordered on Ami Ami for. I've only used Play Asia once, and I pre-ordered a game from them back in June before I knew about the Alt Right shit they've pulled. I can tell you this, the game finally shipped on the 19th, here we are a week later, and tracking for it still just says that the printing label was created but the package isn't in the system yet. So right now I'm rating them as shitty for service.

Deleted member 25870

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I have been a Play-Asia customer for years and I have never had any issues with them. I have ordered a variety of things; everything from used Saturn games to portable console cases and import PS4 titles. Their customer service is usually quick and willing to cancel orders if there is a good reason. Shipping used to be extremely slow, taking 6 to 8 weeks through the least expensive shipping option. In the last few years my items have arrived within 7 to 14 days through the same option, even during holiday months.

Marketing decisions aside, Play-Asia are a reliable (usually) well-priced resource with multiple payment options. I despise Walmart's business practices and marketing strategies, but that doesn't stop me from picking up a gallon of milk or a spool dental floss every now and again.

leder

Oct 25, 2017
I've had some awful experiences with Play Asia canceling parts of orders, then refusing to cancel the other items for bullshit reasons. I've also had them fail to issue refunds and had to send multiple reminder emails.

Cthulhu_Steev

Oct 27, 2017
Is there a thread that gathers all the hori/vert shmups for Switch that I can get in the UK shop? Actually browsing the store is a nightmare.

Lakeside

Oct 25, 2017
If every Acura owner I knew told me they were having the same problem I'd probably heed the warning, yeah.

EVERY? Ok, clearly you can't see what you're saying and I can see that isn't going to change.

Look, Play-Asia is not my main go-to, but they will be fine for someone looking to get something like Ketsui. You will get some anecdotal stories about EVERY import store like this, and I've used all of them. No, they're not perfect, nor is the competition. Stores like Ami-Ami, Nippon-Yassan, Solaris Japan, Nin-Nin, etc aren't any better (or worse really). The main knock on Play Asia that I read the most is slow shipping (and high prices), but that tends to be what happens when you order the cheapest (or free) option.

Just for fun I counted my PA orders.. I've placed 60 since 2011. I've had zero problems, I have canceled orders, combined orders, etc.. No issues whatsoever. However, I understand that this is just MY anecdotal experience. YMMV. But there, know you know that not EVERYONE has problems.

Anyways, I'm sorry for the off topic rant. No more from me.

Last edited:

Dash Kappei

Nov 1, 2017
Solarisjapan is awesome.
Jeff might even give you a ¥500 discount coupon if you send an email pointing to this thread, I know he did that when we were on Gaf.
Bought a shitton of X360 jpn releases both new and preowned and I also grabbed plenty of CiB preowned GBA stuff.

That being said, I never had a problem with my PA orders (more than 60 in 15 years) besides a couple of them taking 2 freakin' months to my postbox which wasn't their fault as much as customs' and whatnot.

Lakeside

Oct 25, 2017
Solarisjapan is awesome.
Jeff might even give you a ¥500 discount if you send an email pointing to this thread, I know he did that when we were on Gaf.
Bought a shitton of X360 jpn releases both new and preowned and I also grabbed plenty of CiB preowned GBA stuff.

I agree they are great. I've actually had good experiences with all of the Japan / HK importers that I've used. Heck I've sourced so much stuff over the years, used YAJ, even HK vendors that didn't have a web presence.. you'd get on AIM with them late at night to tell them what to source for you, then bank transfer the funds. Good times.. I sourced a Ketsui PCB in that manner (but later on, so Paypal) and had it on my porch in 24 hours.. absolutely crazy.

Agent Unknown

Oct 26, 2017
Thanks to all who replied to my question about PA and other import stores.

Dash Kappei

I just checked out Solaris Japan, think I'm gonna order from them, thanks for the recommendation! How do I contact Jeff to ask for a discount? ;)

Last edited:

Dash Kappei

Nov 1, 2017
Thanks to all who replied to my question about PA and other import stores.

Dash Kappei

I just checked out Solaris Japan, think I'm gonna order from them, thanks for the recommendation! How do I contact Jeff to ask for a discount? ;)

So I did some more digging and first of all it was Jacob and not Jeff (lol), secondly he discounted ¥600 and not 500. It was a first order special coupon, specifically for shmups. In my case my first order was Espgauda II BL and coupon was called "esp2coupon" for ¥600. I just emailed them at shop@solarisjapan addressing Jacob, asking if it was possible to get the same discount others had been getting, linking to the shmup thread and specifying I wanted to get Espgaluda II and Futari. This was in 2014. lol
Kept using them and they've never let me down.

Agent Unknown

Oct 26, 2017
So I did some more digging and first of all it was Jacob and not Jeff (lol), secondly he discounted ¥600 and not 500. It was a first order special coupon, specifically for shmups. In my case my first order was Espgauda II BL and coupon was called "esp2coupon" for ¥600. I just emailed them at shop@solarisjapan addressing Jacob, asking if it was possible to get the same discount others had been getting, linking to the shmup thread and specifying I wanted to get Espgaluda II and Futari. This was in 2014. lol
Kept using them and they've never let me down.

Cool, will look into it, thanks for the info!

leder

Oct 25, 2017
How do you guys play shmups that you don't intend to master for enjoyment? If I just credit feed, I dont have any fun, but if I hold myself to 1CC I never end up seeing the later levels.

Noisepurge

Oct 25, 2017
any previews yet of Rival Megagun? Thinking whether there's any difference between the PS4 and Switch versions...
Switch would be optimal for instant vs play but if it has bad framerate for example it's not going to be the best one to pick up.

japtor

Jan 19, 2018
How do you guys play shmups that you don't intend to master for enjoyment? If I just credit feed, I dont have any fun, but if I hold myself to 1CC I never end up seeing the later levels.
I think I just go for single credit survival and/or high score, mixed in with occasional credit feeds to try out the stuff beyond my current skill level. Play enough and I'll see some progress at least, even if not a 1CC, while credit feeding prepares me a bit for the times I do have a good run.

Another way to go at it is counting how many credits it takes to clear (and maybe setting a limit or goal). That gives some incentive to improve and play for survival even while credit feeding.