• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Gong

Oct 25, 2017
I always credit feed to begin with, mostly to get a feel for different ships/enemies/level layouts. After that I bump everything back to default settings and then aim to get far as possible. I've run this way for years now and I find it works for me. I'll never have the incredible skills some have, but I'll always aim to push what I have as far as possible. With Ketsui out in the next couple of days I'll be looking to try to regain how well I did in the 360 version. Can't wait!

Deleted member 2620

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
R-Type is a tricky and dangerous case IMO due to the big speed differences (the arcade original is based on 55hz timing), but I don't really know much about how the various home versions handle it.

I'd love to know more but never looked into it.

StarCreator

Oct 25, 2017
Yikes, thanks for the warnings. Any good U.S. import sources? Game doesn't seem to be listed on NCSX's site and I tried calling them a few times recently and phone # just rings to a super generic voicemail, wonder if they're still in business?
These days I just order from Amazon.co.jp, CD Japan, or AmiAmi, all of which ship internationally. I go with Amazon more often than not these days simply because they're the fastest and often the cheapest.

I attempted to buy something off NCS's preorder store last year and the order literally went nowhere. I had the same experience trying to call them to ask what's up.

Ashgar

Oct 28, 2017
any previews yet of Rival Megagun? Thinking whether there's any difference between the PS4 and Switch versions...
Switch would be optimal for instant vs play but if it has bad framerate for example it's not going to be the best one to pick up.
At least in the US, the Switch version is delayed to next Thursday. There don't seem to be a lot of outlets who would request or receive review copies of a game like this, so we might not find out until then.

Lakeside

Oct 25, 2017
These days I just order from Amazon.co.jp, CD Japan, or AmiAmi, all of which ship internationally. I go with Amazon more often than not these days simply because they're the fastest and often the cheapest.

I attempted to buy something off NCS's preorder store last year and the order literally went nowhere. I had the same experience trying to call them to ask what's up.

That's crazy about NCS. They seem to be updating the website.

Man.. some memories there. I ordered a ton of stuff from them in the heyday.

Agent Unknown

Oct 26, 2017
R-Type Dimensions EX is out. 20% launch discount

R-TYPE Dimensions also has a pre-order discount on Switch. I'm still confused though if it has the actual, accurate arcade versions of 1&2 running underneath or are those just sprite skins for the updated/EX version which I assume runs differently?

If ESP Ra.De. can get a home conversion after all these years, anything is possible.

Maybe, but wouldn't M2 and Cave have to also work something out with Capcom rights wise which might also complicate things (maybe someone else can clarify)?

Thanks for the other recommendations and yeah, weird how NCS seems dead but is still updating their front page.

DaveLong

Nov 2, 2017
So if you order something in stock from NCS you won't get it? You won't be charged? It all seems to be working...

Deleted member 2620

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I grabbed the Switch release of R-Type Dimensions and unsurprisingly it just repeats frames to make up for the 55hz->60hz gap. Which is... fine. Preferable to changing the game's speed or making deep modifications to the game itself, and the slow scroll rate kinda makes this less of a big deal.

Would probably run at the proper speed on my gsync monitor, though...

Deleted member 9305

Oct 26, 2017
I grabbed the Switch release of R-Type Dimensions and unsurprisingly it just repeats frames to make up for the 55hz->60hz gap. Which is... fine. Preferable to changing the game's speed or making deep modifications to the game itself, and the slow scroll rate kinda makes this less of a big deal.

Would probably run at the proper speed on my gsync monitor, though...
It's pretty much a deal breaker for me, the scrolling is nauseating. It can be observed here:

The video settings don't offer a vsync toggle:

Not sure if you can force vsync off via the driver.

Oct 27, 2017
my copy of ketsui shipped from amazon japan and has a delivery date of Friday (tomorrow)!
I'm very excited to check out the new modes :)

Anyone else hope Progear gets a re-release at some point? I feel like it's pretty overlooked/underrated.

100%
my favorite cave game and the one I've spent the most amount of time on (pcb/mame/local arcade). I'd love to see what an arrange mode would look like that's not progear red label.

Last edited:

Deleted member 2620

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's pretty much a deal breaker for me, the scrolling is nauseating. It can be observed here:

The video settings don't offer a vsync toggle:

Not sure if you can force vsync off via the driver.

That's fair. It's definitely noticeable and annoying and I could see it being a dealbreaker. I think that, at the least, the game should include an option to run at 60hz (and thus 108% speed).

Deleted member 9305

Oct 26, 2017
That's fair. It's definitely noticeable and annoying and I could see it being a dealbreaker. I think that, at the least, the game should include an option to run at 60hz (and thus 108% speed).
Yeah or a vsync off + 55Hz cap for the gsync/freesync users.

StarCreator

Oct 25, 2017
my copy of ketsui shipped from amazon japan and has a delivery date of Friday (tomorrow)!
I'm very excited to check out the new modes :)
Mine shipped as well. It's projecting a Monday delivery, but they've managed to beat their estimate before. Here's hoping.

I had a meet scheduled on Saturday to try out the game side by side with the 360 port (and maybe a PCB, lol), but decided to cancel for various reasons.

Mandarake10

Sep 10, 2018
Hello
I have one ketsui beep limited edition signed by Horii and Fuyuno and a cardbord boz only signed by Horii, if anyone is interested. I'm thinking about selling.

Thanks a lot

Lakeside

Oct 25, 2017
So I ordered from Beep but now I'm unsure f they ship international and they aren't responding to my inquiries.

Deleted member 9305

Oct 26, 2017
I know we are in an awkward transition period but I do hope long term *sync of some sort negates this problem forever and we can always expect it as a feature.
Very true especially since even TVs start to support VRR (variable refresh rate) via HDMI2.1,props to MS, their XBOne already supports it. Now if only devs and other platform holders would wise up.

Blu

Oct 25, 2017
The international release of Game Tengoku should be live.

The game and two of its DLC are on sale for the weekend.

Seems like the Tasujin isn't on steam yet and the physical release date still hasn't been shown off yet.

clippa

Apr 18, 2018
Rival Megagun is super fun.

Innit?
I like how the game doesn't bother tracking wins and losses. Matches feel much more like relaxed fun between friends as a result.
The arse-tasting necrophile who kicked me around like a dead dog last night being the obvious exception to the rule.
Can't quite remember his name, but I'll recognise it when I see it.

I hope the player-base stays healthy. I can see this becoming a good go-to, evergreen, quick burst game since matches are nice and short. It's the perfect thing to shove on when you want your shmup fix but haven't got much time to play.

I'm famous!

Happy to send out autographed photos to the first ten people who PM me.
10 and no more, I'm warning you with peace and love.

The game doesn't have a huge pool of players at the minute, at least on the pc, so we kept getting thrown together.
I recognised him from the shmups forum and remembered reading some of his blog posts about getting into the genre and teaching himself to get better and he seemed like such a nice bloke.
I felt awful, like I was following around the new kid on his first day at school with a hammer. I just had to shut the game off in the end.

Kicked his arse, mate.
Kicked his fucking arse. COME ON!

Dash Kappei

Nov 1, 2017
Does RIVAL MEGAGUN have crossplay on Switch? Worried the mp will be dead in a week (if that). How good is the game played solo?

Btw, I need more shmups friends on Switch (it's always nice to compare scores for the ACA releases) and it was a sight to behold when Ikaruga released and there were 7 people simultaneously playing it on my friends list

I'm already friends with a few regulars here but my friendcode is on my profile if some of you guys want to add me :)

clippa

Apr 18, 2018
Does RIVAL MEGAGUN have crossplay on Switch?

There's no cross-play, though I imagine it'll have sold better on consoles.

You can see how many people are currently playing on steam here - https://steamcharts.com/search/?q=rival+megagun
or here - https://steamdb.info/app/654100/graphs/

How good is it solo? It's aaaalright. The campaign is a bit naff, it's just a bunch of cpu battles strung together with a boss fight at the end and the scoring is silly, if you were going for the top of the leaderboard, you'd want to be making each battle last as long as possible, milking as much as you could which just isn't fun so just treat that as a warm up before jumping into your first online game.
Playing versus the cpu seems fun enough, you can choose easy, normal, hard and very hard so there's a bit of scope there.

Lakeside

Oct 25, 2017
I'm sure this is the wrong place to ask, but I figure many in the West use Japan PSN for shooting games.

Has anyone in the US managed to turn on PSN 2FA for their Japan account? No matter what I do when I enter the code to activate it, it says my e-mail is already associated with other Sony services. I've even created a brand new e-mail account that can't be on any of their services and says this.

Deleted member 2620

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
One thing I just realized earlier today about R-Type Dimensions is that it has simultaneous 2-player where the originals only had turn-taking.

2P modes in these games never really appealed to me but that's a wild thing to add to an emulated 1987 arcade game, surprised they didn't make a big deal about it

leder

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone else hope Progear gets a re-release at some point? I feel like it's pretty overlooked/underrated.
my dream for a very long time. it's still my overall most played Cave game. i need a physical version, biggest LE ever.
Y'all are good people. Fantastic game. I really want to see a M2 shottriggers release with the extra features. Esp ra de is giving me (false) hope that it could actually happen.

ShinJohnpv

Oct 25, 2017
FlipGrip came yesterday and it works pretty great.

31236769747_f171b0b923_o.jpg

Mantrox

Oct 27, 2017
Y'all are good people. Fantastic game. I really want to see a M2 shottriggers release with the extra features. Esp ra de is giving me (false) hope that it could actually happen.
If i recall correctly, M2 made a poll asking which games the fans would most like to see getting a port and the top 3 were:
- Esp Ra.De
- The Great Rag Time Show (known as Boggie Wings in Japan)
- Progear no Arashi

m2denfaminicogamer2.png

So there's as good a chance as any.
The licensing could be the only real obstacle as i believe the owner is Capcom and not CAVE.